IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

Thank you @Beermeet me, my family and everyone I know is fine afaik, so let's hope the lockdown works and things start improving. My brother and my sister and in the first lines of the fight as medical professionals so I haven't seen them in person in a while (Skype calls do not count). I am the only one who is still in contact with my parents because my job is low risk. We are all avoiding my 89yo grandma who is calling desperate to see anyone of us. She just can't understand that we stay away for her own good.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 19

Thanks @Beermeet we are fine for now, my sister has just come back from paris yesterday night, she was there at the start of all this for work (Paris fashion week) and she was ashtoned start for the difference between here and there so she decided to stay there by some friend for a while thinking everything will be ok in a couple of weeks and planning to go to London maybe for some class i don't know then more time was passing and more she start to freak out she decided to come back home but she wasn't able to find a flight, at the end she found a train that take almost 9.30 h from Paris to Milan, and now she  is home, We live in the country so for now we are just working outside and dong long walks with the dog, but still the situation is surreal here, i have been out only one day to do some grocery shopping and between the tings i wasn't able to find there was the fresh yeast...something that usually you find in big butch since nobody seems to want it, 

is hard to be so separate from everyone and it make me ragey to know that there are many people still around (people who should be in quarantine) we know it because the law enforcement are doing many fees to people who is out just because...many major have been forced to close all park and beaches and places like that because people was keeping going there...

uff sorry for the rant and the long post but i needed to get vent with someone 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 16

I work part time in a UK primary school with 221 pupils. Yesterday there were 55 children off either poorly, self isolating, or with worried parents. This increased when the local high school started sending everyone with symptoms home and several parents came to us to collect their younger children as well.

Today literally half the school was absent. The fullest class had 16 children in it. That is a doubling of yesterday's absences. If it doubles again tomorrow the classrooms will literally be empty!

I think the government have little choice but to shut the schools here soon.

• Upvote 7

re: conspiracy theories it seems they are out there...and i have read them. 

and they are scary. 

but I have a system now

wake up

do zumba online

get in touch with the vicar

work for like 3 hours and then walk for 3 hours in the sun.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

HR at my University is making everyone fill out a request form to work from home which may or may not be approved by your Dean or program head. Staff here are starting to feel a bit like peons. Students are doing class remotely. Faculty are teaching remotely. But staff are feeling a bit punished or looked down on if they request to work from home. We're sort of getting a "do you realllllllllly need to work from home?" feeling when we talk about it. I'm getting a "we don't trust you to actually do work" vibe. It's all ridiculous. 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

I (and my brother) take care of my 77 year old father since my mom passed away 6 months ago. My brother lives with him (which is mutually beneficial since my brother is a bachelor with no children) and I take care of him during the day while my brother works. My dad is on oxygen because of emphysema and has atrial fibrillation; he also uses a cane to help him walk and a wheelchair outside of the house. He has had two hospital stays in the past month because of fluid in his lungs and is very fragile health-wise. I'm afraid because if he were to contract this virus I doubt he could survive. My dad can't drive (thank goodness, because that old man loved to go to the grocery store every damn day!) so he doesn't go anywhere unless my brother or I drive him. I do all his grocery shopping, errands, etc. but what I'm concerned about is brining the virus into his house.

My brother works with the public so he uses latex gloves all day, makes no physical contact with anyone, and keeps a distance between himself and others. As soon as he gets home he showers and washes his clothes. Before I go to their house I change into clean clothes, scrub my hands and arms, and scrub again when I get there before touching anything. (I make no stops between my house and his.) My dad takes multiple medications each day and he needs help with them so I fill his pill box every week. I've started using latex gloves when I sort his medicine and even started wiping down anything I bring into his house (even his groceries!) with Clorox wipes. 

Is there anything else I can do that I haven't thought of? Anything I'm missing? I'm doing everything I can think of but any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

• Love 18

Just got back from the market.  Better success today. Still very dystopian.  I did get eggs!  Thank goodness.   

I'm just thrilled I recently binged The Handmaids Tale. Me a month later:   "They had eggs at the market!" ?   

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

We are all avoiding my 89yo grandma who is calling desperate to see anyone of us. She just can't understand that we stay away for her own good.

MIL and FIL are 88 and 90 respectively.  They are still living in their own home with some assistance.    For some time, they have been regularly going out for meals, partly for social reasons, partly because MIL doesn't have much energy to cook anymore.   

They are now climbing the walls because their restaurants have shut down.    They want Mr. No over to "help" (in reality it's so they can talk up a storm) but he can't see them for health reasons.  They don't care,  they have always been rather needy which makes these extraordinary circumstances a lot more difficult for them.  All Mr. No can do is call, arrange for food deliveries if needed.  Even if he brought items over, all he can do is leave it on the front steps. 

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Love 15

7 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

MIL and FIL are 88 and 90 respectively.  They are still living in their own home with some assistance.    For some time, they have been regularly going out for meals, partly for social reasons, partly because MIL doesn't have much energy to cook anymore.   

They are now climbing the walls because their restaurants have shut down.    They want Mr. No over to "help" (in reality it's so they can talk up a storm) but he can't see them for health reasons.  They don't care,  they have always been rather needy which makes these extraordinary circumstances a lot more difficult for them.  All Mr. No can do is call, arrange for food deliveries if needed.  Even if he brought items over, all he can do is leave it on the front steps. 

I'm glad he's being smart, but it has to be so hard.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, SeverelyServingJeebus said:

We're in the same boat. My father-in-law almost definitely had the virus a couple weeks ago and now my husband is sick. He works for a major U.S. bank and doesn't want to get any of the many elderly customers sick. So he's been home since last Thursday. Today his boss called to say his sick leave is up. The bank has said they'll pay for sick leave associated with COVID-19 but they require you or someone close to you to test positive and want a test number and contact info for the positive person to verify (wtf!). Despite us living in the epicenter (Seattle) it is nearly impossible to get tested without being admitted to the hospital. My young healthy husband who is feeling winded after physical exertion is not a priority for testing but we're going to lose our income bc he is terrified of being responsible for someone's illness or death. I respect his decision and know how much he truly cares for his clients but I'm furious at his company not to mention our local and federal government for not taking this seriously after the first confirmed case and doing more to prevent the spread. 

My husband's sister is also 8 and a half months pregnant with a scheduled C-section for the first week of April. He's terrified of infecting his family so we're foregoing regular weekly dinners. She was just informed today that she will only be permitted to have one person at the hospital with her. She's devastated because her husband and my MIL were in the operating room for the previous birth of my niece. It was an emergency C-section at 2am and my husband and I woke up and drove my FIL to the hospital. Their aunt met us there and all 4 of us kept vigil in the darkened and empty waiting room. It was such an amazing and beautiful moment when we all got to meet my niece for the first time. It breaks all of our hearts that we won't be there to welcome my nephew into the world. 

Oh my gosh. Can you try and ask a doctor to write a note for him? I imagine if they say he is isolated for coronavirus until X day, they will have to honor it? The doctor can say due to a shortage of tests we advise to consider this a case of coronavirus even though it cannot be confirmed??? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm glad he's being smart, but it has to be so hard.  

Thanks.  He's been very worried about them and is glad that the restaurants / bars (this is in IL) closed dine-in operations because it forced the issue for them.   They were absolutely insistent on going out even as late as last week.  They claimed they didn't know what was going on re: Covid-19.  Not sure about that as they always watch the network 10 PM evening news, somehow I doubt that information about a global pandemic would be missed. 

• Upvote 5

I'm going to my bank today too.  I have a savings at one bank that is hard to access, on purpose.  I really bank at another.  So, I need to transfer money. I am also taking cash out because it seems like a good idea.  Since I'm last minute prepping.  My poor savings. RIP. :( I Iove my savings.  I really hope I get better help than unemployment.  They talk about suspending bills. But, I assume they will ask for their money when things stabilize.  How we supposed to do that?  

For those with elderly family, you are doing the right thing ultimately.  It feels bad though. I get it. I'm sorry, hang in there.  My son is at risk and we are taking all the precautions.  I'm glad I'm not being asked to work, at a dental office no less.  We'll be fine as long as he is safe.  That's what I'm focusing on. ??

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9

5 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

They talk about suspending bills. But, I assume they will ask for their money when things stabilize.  How we supposed to do that? 

I got an email from our gas company talking about payment plans for those who need it....then a link to donate to help pay the bills of those in need.

I could scream.  How about you, multi-billion dollar company, suspend payments for those in need so the rest of us can donate whatever discretionary income we have to food banks and such.  Nicor can wait for their money, people can't wait for food.

I hope your son stays well and people follow the guidelines to protect people like him.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I got an email from our gas company talking about payment plans for those who need it....then a link to donate to help pay the bills of those in need.

I could scream.  How about you, multi-billion dollar company, suspend payments for those in need so the rest of us can donate whatever discretionary income we have to food banks and such.  Nicor can wait for their money, people can't wait for food.

I hope your son stays well and people follow the guidelines to protect people like him.

PREACH IT! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Thanks.  He's been very worried about them and is glad that the restaurants / bars (this is in IL) closed dine-in operations because it forced the issue for them.   They were absolutely insistent on going out even as late as last week.  They claimed they didn't know what was going on re: Covid-19.  Not sure about that as they always watch the network 10 PM evening news, somehow I doubt that information about a global pandemic would be missed. 

If I'm not mistaken we're in the same general area of Illinois.  Even after Pritzker closed the bars and restaurants for all except carry out on Sunday, on my way home Monday I saw several with parking lots filled so they aren't the only ones minimizing the issue.  I haven't left home since, so Idk if that's still happening.

My dad died a long time ago, but I'm thinking of him now.  After he retired he had his restaurants he went to for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and knew everyone there and went same times each day.  It was his routine and if he were alive today he would absolutely be difficult about it.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 5

On a funny note, Gen X really is prepared.  The latch key generation know how to make snack out of anything in a MacGyver kinda way!   That and having our grandparents around ( depression survivors) makes me know how to work with what I've got.  We also spent time alone,  not allowed to open the door for anyone ( boomers used the scare tactics freely ?).  We got this.  My meager shopping haul proves I got this.  Not ideal but I got ideas!   Our children don't quite get it. The almost 17 yr old kinda does, 13 yr old?  Forget it. Lol! We're having help her wrap her head around it.  Understandably.  But, please children....STOP EATING EVERYTHING!  The 13 yr old has talked more about TP and how little she needs more than anything.  That and asking if her bf can come over.  No. It sucks, I get it.  But, no.  This whole thing is nuts. Weird, you know?  It's also, calm and relaxing.  I'm not going to fret too much on financial issues.  I need to compartmentalize.  I also want to enjoy the beauty of this. The coming together part.  The precious time we now have.  So far, no one I know has C19.  I think my son should be safe if we keep doing what we're doing.  I guess I needed to ramble a bit too :)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

17 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If I'm not mistaken we're in the same general area of Illinois. .

Yes, we are, far north suburbs of Chicago in my case.

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Even after Pritzker closed the bars and restaurants for all except carry out on Sunday, on my way home Monday I saw several with parking lots filled so they aren't the only ones minimizing the issue.  I haven't left home since, so Idk if that's still happening.

I saw some places that stayed open right up to the last minute.   Since then, been out a few times, going to work, vote, some shopping and places are completely closed or have signs out advertising delivery / carryout.   Was weird this morning to see one local restaurant closed up and dark, that place was always busy in the 20+ plus years of living around here. 

21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My dad died a long time ago, but I'm thinking of him now.  After he retired he had his restaurants he went to for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and knew everyone there and went same times each day.  It was his routine and if he were alive today he would absolutely be difficult about it.

My sister and I were discussing that as much as we missed our folks, we are glad they are not around for this in part because they would be vulnerable (and also they were going out a lot) but especially my Dad who passed in 2017.  After Mom died in 2015, his thing was to go to Costco multiple times a week to pick up the free samples but he would always end up buying a bunch of stuff.  It was is his way of getting out and socializing.   

He fought big time against our advice to curtail the Costco shopping to save money.  In his mind, the free samples were "saving money" completely overlooking the fact that he was buying stuff he didn't need (but he insisted he would use) so I can only imagine what arguments we would be having now.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, nokidsmom said:

After Mom died in 2015, his thing was to go to Costco multiple times a week to pick up the free samples but he would always end up buying a bunch of stuff.  It was is his way of getting out and socializing. 

Yep - swap Costco for Jewel and daily and that was my dad.  Both my parents passed in 1994 and until the end he would get up at dawn, head to Jewel to get a Trib, Sun-Times, and sweet roll from the bakery go home and have coffee until it was time to go to breakfast.  

You could set your watch by his habits.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yep - swap Costco for Jewel and daily and that was my dad.  Both my parents passed in 1994 and until the end he would get up at dawn, head to Jewel to get a Trib, Sun-Times, and sweet roll from the bakery go home and have coffee until it was time to go to breakfast.  

You could set your watch by his habits.

I truly miss having that generation present.  They did what they did when it was to be done.  The way our older generations lived life was different.  More relaxed, methodical.  I say it often, I was born in the wrong time. I don't like the hussle and bustle.  Both sets of grandparents had a huge part in raising me.  I was always around them. They were born in the early 1900's. It rubbed off on me.  I can't help it, right now feels nice to me.  Less noise. I feel terrible saying that ( at least I'm not alone. Apparently, many in the whole world don't mind chilling out) because people are dying.  I definitely do not wish that nor would I trade this peace for that.  It's a byproduct that happens to be quite nice.  It's really important too. We cannot overwhelm our hospitals.  It's our duty. We are coming together for a greater good, to slow this virus down.  It's happening pretty quickly.  Although, some say a bit too late. Idk. I'm....impressed?  Or something.  ?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

It was my 48th birthday yesterday. I mentioned it on the Jillbilies thread,  before finding out about this thread, that it had to be the strangest birthday that I can remember.  No St. Patty's Day parade, no parties on the beach (we are in Florida).  Ah well. I'm just grateful that everyone I know is healthy and happy.

My husband works in retail.  He told me this morning that the company that he works for, is shutting down all stores for 2 weeks.  He went in today, to volunteer with the last shipment and to prep the store for the next 2 weeks.  

I'v cancelled my psychotherapist's appointment.  Daughter has no physical school until April 15. I'm the designated "go out and get shit" person in my family, because I get anxious and don't care to speak to people that I don't know.  

I think that, despite this social/physical distancing, we will still see about 50 percent of the population infected unfortunately.  

Time to continue on this corona-cation. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Michigan had its first COVID-19 death today. People are disgusting! So many people are making a big deal about his preexisting conditions. He would still be alive if it weren't for the virus. I have high blood pressure, my husband has asthma, one of my kids has asthma. It is so nice to know that our preexisting conditions do not matter and people resisting steps they can take to reduce their spread of the virus.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 9
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, freealljs said:

It was my 48th birthday yesterday. I mentioned it on the Jillbilies thread,  before finding out about this thread, that it had to be the strangest birthday that I can remember.  No St. Patty's Day parade, no parties on the beach (we are in Florida).  Ah well. I'm just grateful that everyone I know is healthy and happy.

Happy birthday! Today is my birthday, and wow is it strange! I'm absolutely OK with staying home, but worried sick about money... I work for a small business and we are almost certainly going to have to either close entirely or let basically everyone go so they can get unemployment, according to my boss. And my sister was quarantined by her doctor yesterday, and told not to leave the house except to get a COVID-19 test. Which might be a few days, apparently.

My mom wanted to bring over my birthday gift today. I told her to leave it on the back porch then call me from the car. She and dad are active still, but both at risk due to age and blood pressure and other issues and I very much do not want them to get sick!

I think one of the things I'll remember about this time is how everything smells vaguely of disinfectant. I think there will be permanent changes in society after this, but I'm not quite sure what they'll be, yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

4 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Just got back from the market.  Better success today. Still very dystopian.  I did get eggs!  Thank goodness.   

I'm just thrilled I recently binged The Handmaids Tale. Me a month later:   "They had eggs at the market!" ?   

I've done a pretty good job prepping with supplies but kept wishing I had some dry beans.  And...I just poked around my freezer and found what appears to be about a pound of dry navy beans in back, apparently from my local organic food store's bulk bins.  Not sure why I put them in the freezer, or how long they've been there, but I feel like my scatterbrainedness has served me well today (for a change).

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/albany/2020/03/18/coronavirus-new-york-businesses-must-cut-site-workforce-by-half/2864761001/

ALBANY – New York will close indoor shopping malls and prohibit all businesses from having more than 50% of their employees report to work outside their home — the state's latest step to try to slow the rapid spread of the novel coronavirus at the center of a global pandemic.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday he would issue an executive order implementing the measures, with bowling alleys, amusement parks and indoor areas of shopping malls required to close by 8 p.m. Thursday.

The workforce restriction will apply will apply to all nonessential businesses.

Is there a universal definition of what is an "essential" business.  I've seen stuff like "including grocery stores, medical facilities, etc." but not a comprehensive list.

Especially in manufacturing.  Our parent company said we are essential, but they aren't in the US.  (not in NY so this doesn't apply to me anyway, just curious as to if there is standard definition including manufacturers.)

• Upvote 4

@Alisamer happy birthday!  It is strange, how everything smells like disinfectant. So true.  

Financially, things are interesting.  I'm worried as well.  Money is going to be tight for a few months.  Husband is on his way home from volunteering with shipment at his retail job, which he keeps for the health benefits. Husband and I also have an international education recruitment business. Everything's been postponed to August/September.  I was applying for work as an analyst, now that I'm feeling better mentally, but now that's on hold.  

I think that my FJ family will keep me sane. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic