IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

Tennessee closed schools.

I checked email for work earlier and found a notice to make sure our personal contact information was updated in the corporate system (meaning not just work number & email but personal as well) which just felt ominous.  I also took the time to download and set up the necessary systems in my phone so I can access email and the like there too.  

• Upvote 5

Tiny Town has its first confirmed case.  There is a rumor that the urgent care clinic the patient went to is temporarily closing.  I guess to disinfect the place or whatever.  This is just a rumor though.

I worry about my husband.  He's a paramedic and works triage in the ER when needed.  He's taking every precaution.  I know most people who catch the virus don't die from it.  I just can't help but worry. 

I have plenty of supplies.  This time of year I stock up on necessities because it's tornado season.  Outbreaks in 2011 and 2014 have made me a bit paranoid.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

After today I'll be mostly working from home for the next two weeks.

If I make it home - I could vomit from the amount of straight bleach being sprayed everywhere and it's given me a splitting headache (yes, I talked to them so maybe going forward they'll use recommended dilution ratios.)

• Love 9

At the moment several known drugs are researched and tested, one of the more promising is a drug called remidesivir, initially developed against ebola. Science is racing at the moment to better understand Covid-19 and to find ways to fight it. That gives me a good feeling amidst at these times at least.

The german government announced this afternoon to close almost all public life down after school and daycare closings last friday. Public offices and other public services with costumers coming in are closed for the public. Public transport is reduced and in the next days most shops will close, with only groceries and delivery services for food stuff, gas stations and pharmacies being open. Restaurants get reduced opening hours. At my pharmacy we are busier and busier every day, the same with the supermarket next doors. Avoiding lot's of people isn't possible for us, so we try our best with protecting ourselfs. And my county has since yesterday it's first confirmed case of Covid-19.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I just heard from the fence repair people. They are following social distancing advice, and agree that coming out, looking at the job while I stay in the house, and communicating via phone and email is the way to go.

It feels good to know that at least something didn't have to be canceled, I will be ready for my next dog (whenever that becomes feasible), and I will not be damaging their business.

The person who called and I also exchanged confidences that, as introverts (when we're not in "chipper work phone call mode") we may be very well equipped to handle this, and need to be sensitive to the extraverts who will be chafing at the bit.

• Upvote 10

You know we’re our own little community here and right now, being online is the safest kind of community going.

I hope all of you, and those you love, stay safe and protected and have everything you need as we get through this.

I worry about you guys and not to get all sappy with the thoughts and prayers stuff...I just want everyone to be okay.  

And with that I’ll stop crying and get back to work.  :tw_heart:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 26

My facility is still open though most of the employees are working from home until first the week of April.  My department is local IT support so a lot of our work has to be done onsite.   Cafeteria closed.   So few people around I figured I would go in until there is a mandatory shutdown, which could still happen.

I just had to firmly tell someone to keep six feet away so not everyone has gotten that memo. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Not having an in person meeting would be great.

Yes, it would. I am thankful that the district I work for is putting together virtual training for the teachers. My four year old has asthma that is triggered by allergies and respiratory illnesses. Even though I heard it does not affect children as much, I would like to minimize his exposure.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 9

I work in the medical field so I am considered a necessary worker. I'm glad, in one sense, because I'll be able to continue working and not have to worry that my place of employment will be shut down. So far, right around where I am, there has been only one confirmed case, but I do firmly believe that this is worse than we actually know here in the US. I am being as careful as possible, and seeing the good that people are trying to do - offering to grocery shop for others who are elderly or immunocompromised or who now have little kids at home instead of school or daycare. Just offering to help in general - it's so good for my heart.  It reminds me that most people really are good and kind. I hope you all are managing ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9

Ulta called me, I missed the call so I called them back.  They’re canceling salon services etc and operating with shorter hours.  I’m good with my appointment being cancelled and opted for now to not reschedule.  

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Belugaloo said:

So if anyone is wondering why this is spreading so fast.... I was exposed to coronavirus by a coworker. Health department told me to self isolate.. Work told me that I can still come in since I dont have a fever (only a cough right now). I also cant use our extended unpaid leave since I dont meet the fever criteria. So im being forced to drain my vacation pay right now, because I dont want to risk exposing my immune compromised clients. 

well you guys this keeps getting better....

CEO of my company sent an email out earlier. Stated they were updating our policy(!!!) - YAY! She said that not only were we following ALL cdc guidelines, we were adding on extra of our own. Thats awesome! Right?? No. Ok, so I automatically pulled up the CDC guidelines. They left out the part where the CDC recommends that all sick people stay home from work. Being sick was defined as ANY 1 symptom. Fever not necessary. a cough counts. sore throat counts. just a fever counts. (current policy is stay home if you have fever AND a cough or shortness of breath) So. naturally I responded to the email. Asked if we'd also include that guideline- because you guys that is an important guideline!!! who cares if we do staff meetings via google hangouts if sick employees are still seeing clients?? COME ON.

Well my CEO responded. And. nope. no plans to update the policy. Also, guys, apparently she's really busy and doesnt have time to answer emails. Hate to break it to her... but she's gonna be really busy when all her employees start testing positive because she's being reckless. 

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 3

In other disease vector news, I just found a dying field mouse in my house.

We had an exterminator in to set up poison bait stations, about two months ago, when all of my "just keep out, I don't want to kill you" methods failed. I actually haven't seen or heard any sign of mice in weeks, until today. This one was so dazed and weak, I guess, it came out in the open.

I caught it with an empty plastic container, and put it in the trash bin outdoors. I know I have to protect myself, my Mom and my bird from disease, parasites and electrical fires (mice in the walls chew wires), but it still makes me sad.

Cute little disease vector, I'm sorry.

And yes, I washed my hands, the doorknob, the top of the trash barrel, and the floor (tile).

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 2

1 hour ago, klein_roeschen said:

At the moment several known drugs are researched and tested, one of the more promising is a drug called remidesivir, initially developed against ebola. Science is racing at the moment to better understand Covid-19 and to find ways to fight it. That gives me a good feeling amidst at these times at least.

The german government announced this afternoon to close almost all public life down after school and daycare closings last friday. Public offices and other public services with costumers coming in are closed for the public. Public transport is reduced and in the next days most shops will close, with only groceries and delivery services for food stuff, gas stations and pharmacies being open. Restaurants get reduced opening hours. At my pharmacy we are busier and busier every day, the same with the supermarket next doors. Avoiding lot's of people isn't possible for us, so we try our best with protecting ourselfs. And my county has since yesterday it's first confirmed case of Covid-19.

They’re hoping to start trials - Australian scientists have found two drugs which ‘cure’ it. 
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.

University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions wipe out the virus in test tubes.

He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in “disappearance of the virus” and complete recovery from the infection.

One of the two medications is a HIV drug, which has been superseded by “newer generation” HIV drugs, and the other is an anti-malaria drug called chloroquine which is rarely used and “kept on the shelf now” due to resistance to malaria.

He said the researchers want to study them in a “very meaningful way” against the coronavirus to “try and alleviate that anxiety of Australians”.

“There have already been patients treated with these in Australia and there’s been successful outcomes but it hasn’t been done in a controlled or a comparative way,” Prof Paterson said.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

We've all been told to work from home, all non essential staff have laptops and are not coming in to the office spaces. 

Glasgow has apparently run out of toilet paper.

Only able to schedule shopping delivery a week in advance, not helpful for the elderly, non drivers and disabled folks.

Various neighbourhood groups have been set up to assist older people or people who are self isolating.

I have joined my local group and will be helping people with technology questions. Isolation can be lonely for older folks, heck it's lonely for me because I live alone and I'm technically still allowed to go out. Getting people onto things like FaceTime can be a lifeline.

People have been donating to food banks and homeless charities are trying to hand out supplies to as many rough sleepers as possible.

Meanwhile our useless dolt of a prime minister continues to prevaricate. Have seen (reasonably sound) theories that he is doing so because if people decide to stay home "voluntarily" they are not entitled to sick pay or assistance from the government. He has considered giving millions to twats like Richard Branson instead of asking these guys to dip into their vast cash reserves. The teachers' union has written to the government to ask them to close schools before the situation gets worse. Our sick pay currently works out at £90ish a week, no one could live on that and there is no plan to increase this.

Piers Morgan has criticised Nicola Sturgeon for taking measures like banning large gatherings in Scotland. Go figure.

Every time I think I cannot be more ashamed of the UK and our pathetic government I am proven wrong.

I am however, proud to be an honorary Glaswegian. Reading the messages of support people have sent each other on the community pages is lovely and there are now over 1000 people on the volunteer page I joined to help people in the Battlefield and Shawlands areas.

I am also bored out my gourd here! Send memes!

• Love 14

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Thank you SO much for that info.

• Upvote 4

Granted work from home status for the week! I am diabetic and told my employer that I would prefer to test the work system and lower my risk. Just granted.....so happy.

Our transit has gone to a weekend schedule due to lack of ridership. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, adidas said:

hey’re hoping to start trials - Australian scientists have found two drugs which ‘cure’ it.

Is "chloroquine" the same as "hydroxychloroquine" (Plaquenil)?

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Is "chloroquine" the same as "hydroxychloroquine" (Plaquenil)?

No, though it is similar. Hydroxychloroquine is less toxic and therefore prescribed more often.

• Thank You 2

My local Starbucks is still open, so I'm happy about that. I only have two final assignments left for the quarter, thank god. It's been so hard to focus on school with everything going on. It used to be I would get all my assignments done at the beginning of the week well before they were due, but now I have barely any motivation and end up turning them in at the very last minute.

I drove by a bar tonight that was jam packed with people sitting shoulder to shoulder. A day after all bars were ordered to close. JFC... I'm not sure who's worse, the owners or the patrons.

I'm just waiting for my city and state to get a shelter in place order like the Bay Area did, especially since we have so many more cases here than they do. That'll mean I can no longer work. I'm dreading the day.

ETA: I forgot to mention I applied to be a test subject for the vaccine they're developing here! I want to do something to help with the virus, and I can't afford to donate money or purchase non-essentials. I thought this would be the next best thing, plus the compensation if I'm chosen as a subject will, ironically (considering that the trial is being run at one of my insurance provider's hospitals), cover the cost of my health insurance for the year.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I’m really happy that Michigan’s Governor Whitmer issued her order closing most public venues today at 3:00. It took the decision out of my boss’s hands and forced us to close. She fully expects us to be back at work first thing on the morning of April 1. 

• Upvote 7

I’m really happy that Michigan’s Governor Whitmer issued her order closing most public venues today at 3:00. It took the decision out of my boss’s hands and forced us to close. She fully expects us to be back at work first thing on the morning of April 1. 

Hope springs eternal. [emoji849]
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Thank you SO much for that info.

Not a problem at all. And here is some more positive news. 

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/melbourne-scientists-make-major-coronavirus-breakthrough/news-story/186e66a93421a62c50dfaebbc516cded

Melbourne scientists have discovered how the human body overcomes coronavirus in a global breakthrough hoped to fast-track treatments, vaccines and even identify those at risk of dying.

The Doherty Institute researchers have also shown that healthy people can expect to fight off mild to moderate COVID-19 cases in three days.

For the first time the Doherty team has been able to map in detail the way a patient’s immune system responded to COVID-19, revealing the weapons it used to overcome the new killer.

In further good news, lead researcher Professor Katherine Kedzierska said the antibodies released by the human immune system to overcome coronavirus are very similar to those it uses to combat influenza — despite it never having being exposed to the disease.

“It suggests to us that we can fight the virus and we can drive ­recovery from COVID-19,” Prof Kedzierska said.

“We found that although COVID-19 is caused by a new virus, in a previously healthy patient robust immune responses can be elicited and associated with clinical recovery.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic