IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

We needed to do a run for some items for my mother-in-law who is in assisted living.  We went out at 8:00 pm (no crowds) and noticed that the sanitizers and cold/flu medications shelves were pretty empty.  (Fortunately, we didn't need those.)

Next we wandered over to the grocery aisles.  The soup and broth shelves were totally empty.  No milk.  Little butter/margarine.  Frozen foods were being restocked, so I bought the last green beans bag in the freezer.  Eggs had just been restocked, so picked up a half dozen for baking.  Very few baking aisle items were in stock (flour, sugar, etc.).  I bought a bag of Doritos, so I'm good for the apocalypse.  The store was supposed to be open until 11 pm, but they started announcing closure around 9:00 pm over the loudspeaker system while we were there.

On another note, a shopper was coughing his lungs out, not covering his mouth.  Ewww.  That's bad even in typical cold/flu season.  Everyone fled his immediate area and headed for the sanitizer dispensers. 

Journal of the Plague Year, Seattle area

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

Someone alert the nutjobs

One advantage to social distance is being able to stay away from assholes. Yes, they're on the Internet, but one can scroll or click away while muttering "idiot," and no one's the wiser. It's harder in person.

One of the last things I did before self-isolating, last week, was to get a haircut. There were only five people there, including me and the employees, but I still had to hear the "it was created in a lab and released on purpose" story, the "it's a hoax from the liberal media" story, and the "there's nothing we can do, so we might as well have fun while we can" opinion. I politely disagreed with all three, but don't know if I actually educated anyone.

I hate sitting still and being worked on, so I'm always glad that my haircut is a simple, 10-minute job. But I've never been as happy about that as I was that day! Got TF out of there as fast as I could - Purelled my hands (I always keep it in the door of my car), and wished I could Purelle the memory of the idiocy out of my mind.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

Oh, question.  How are schools handling coursework for students with no home internet or library access

The biggest internet provider in my area is installing internet service for anyone with kids who doesn't have it, for no charge for the next two months. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

15 new cases today and they believe we now have community spread. All Alberta schools and daycares closed......indefinitely. 

• Upvote 5

some levity i took my temperature because i had a hot flash 

here in Vancouver - the shelves are somewhat empty - i have toliet paper and supplies. 

zumba has been cancelled for the foreseeable future, however the vicar says i still have to work 

but today i was in gibsons and it was glorious for my mental health. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I'm currently sat in Vancouver airport. Whistler shut down yesterday. (1/2 way through our holiday she sobs). We were lucky to get a flight out and back to Scotland this evening. We don't even mind the 5 hour wait. Just glad to have a seat on a plane. Vancouver wasn't as bustling as usual when we were driving through at 5pm. 

#2 is stuck in the French Alps until tomorrow afternoon ( Monday) He and his Pals are being bussed to Lyon Airport but will not be flown to the airport of origin so will be bussed for hours. At least they will arrive eventuality. 

• Upvote 5

By directive of the bishop, my church is suspending services until further notice.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

I'm currently sat in Vancouver airport. Whistler shut down yesterday. (1/2 way through our holiday she sobs).

Total sympathy.   My husband was up there when they were trying "only members of your party on the gondola," and it wasn't really working out.  He was hoping they wouldn't shut the border as he headed home (U.S.) on Friday.  Glad you got a flight out, and hope you have safe travels and arrive virus free. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

By directive of the bishop, my church is suspending services until further notice.

can he talk to my boss the vicar

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

Total sympathy.   My husband was up there when they were trying "only members of your party on the gondola," and it wasn't really working out.  He was hoping they wouldn't shut the border as he headed home (U.S.) on Friday.  Glad you got a flight out, and hope you have safe travels and arrive virus free. 

Thankyou. I hope your husband made it home without too much hassle. My hubby was less than impressd by that silly 'rule'! He suddenly found himself surrounded by lots of 'skiing buddies' he never knew he had! Of course everyone met up later at close quarters in the Irish pub to listen to the music!! :2wankers:.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Purelled my hands (I always keep it in the door of my car)

So do I.  Don't know how paranoid you are, but I concealed mine under a plastic bag recently, in case someone happens to notice and decide it's worth breaking in.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

So do I.  Don't know how paranoid you are, but I concealed mine under a plastic bag recently, in case someone happens to notice and decide it's worth breaking in.

Well, my car is going to be parked in my driveway for the foreseeable future, right outside the window beside me as I type, so there's not much chance of anyone doing that.

Which reminds me, I should put "start the car" on my calendar every few days - never thought I'd have to be concerned about that except in bone-chilling weather.

Mom and I were supposed to go to the accountant this week (I scrimp and save, and don't indulge much, but I am happy to give some people my money, and having someone dependable do my taxes is so worth it to me - right up there with the lawn mowing crew, the veterinarian, and our handywoman, all of whom this frugal woman pays cheerfully). I'm hoping he's willing to work via email, or postpone if tomorrow's announcement includes pushing back the deadline.

We are supposed to have people come give me estimates for work on the house this week. Both are outdoors (roof and fence), so I think I'll email and tell them they are welcome to come look, email or call to tell me what needs to be done, and handle payment via email, if they don't want to postpone it all.

If they are staying away from people, or think I'm nuts, I will understand. But I figure I can at least give some work to someone who gets paid job by job.

I feel so bad for hourly and gig workers. I also don't get paid if I don't work, but I'm not in the position of someone who needs every week's paycheck right then and there. I was planning to just give up on the income I'd be missing, but may investigate whether I can do e-lessons via Skype or the like.

• Upvote 7

I’ve just canned a couple of work events because I want to follow social distancing recommendations and I couldn’t ensure that people could stay 1.5m apart during those events. So they’ve been postponed ... but I want to go to the gym today. I will probably stay at home ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

There's social distancing to avoid COVID-19...and social distancing (potentially permanent) from not avoiding COVID-19.  While none of this is fun, I'd still prefer to stay in the first group.  Unfortunately, there are so many unknowns that there's no telling when it might abate and then end.  Even introvert me is getting a bit edgy.

• Upvote 7

Today I was subjected to a lecture by a stranger (old white dude, of course) about how coronavirus is no worse than the flu, and that since the flu kills over 50,000 people in the US per year and coronavirus has killed less than a hundred so far here everyone is overreacting.

I reminded him that we have a vaccine and treatment for the flu, while all we can do for coronavirus is help people with pneumonia breathe and other supportive care. I told him that the death rate for coronavirus is much higher than the flu. I also asked him if he'd heard about the mass graves in Iran after which he mumbled about how terrible their health care system must be and left. Guess he realized I don't fall for Fox News bullshit...

I found out that my dad has been working in the same building as someone who was just confirmed to have the virus. While they worked on a different floor than him, he's worried that they may have shared an elevator so he's self-quarantining, which is a huge change from Thursday when he thought we were all overreacting. I guess I must have drilled flattening the curve into his head enough for him to take it seriously. He has no symptoms but apparently is obsessively checking his temperature. I really hope he doesn't start showing symptoms.

They closed all the bars and restaurants here, though I think drive throughs are still open. I definitely hope my neighborhood Starbucks is still operating, that would be a bummer if I wasn't able to get my fix anymore. I know it's one tiny thing in a huge, giant mess of stuff but I feel like you need the little things to hang onto these days.

Oh, and the dog beach was more crowded than I've ever seen today despite being FREEZING. Nothing like watching fifty dogs play in the waves to take your mind off the virus! The tide was super low so there was a ton of space for everyone to spread out and socially distance, too, so that was a perk.

• Upvote 4

Schools aren't closing here, at least not in the short term. I suspect my workplace will transition to online and work from home next week. The trains were empty this morning, although the roads were apparently packed. 

And my husband has managed to get a non-coronavirus (according to GP) virus and is home sick. So now I just want to work from home so I can stop stressing. (Ok, more so I can change my stress focus from virus to work.) 

So far every social and running event I was involved with has been cancelled. At least this gives me more time to train better?

10 hours ago, nst said:

some levity i took my temperature because i had a hot flash 

I think I just did the same thing...

• Upvote 3

Schools here are in session today but there is an announcement today by the district.  With a potential case in the region (transferred to the university hospital) and yesterday’s cdc recommendations I suspect we’ll see a combo of closure and transfer to online.    

my employer was testing a move to work from home (Because if everyone does it at once without firming up the network and adding servers it’s gonna be ugly. I’m off today but will likely fire up the work laptop later check email for potential announcements 

• Upvote 2

All public schools is my state are closed starting Wednesday through at least April 6th. My office has not yet given us the option of working remotely, although we have been asked if we have the ability to do so. So...I am at work today. With all my colleagues. No one called out or took a day, which I am surprised about.

I heard on NPR this morning that the CDC updated their guidelines for large gatherings and recommends that any gathering of 50 or more people be cancelled for the next 8 weeks which puts us into college and university Commencement season here in the US, although my University's Commencement is a few days after the 8 weeks is up. That would be my last large task/event for the academic year at work. I won't be heartbroken if it's cancelled, and cancelling large gatherings is obviously what we need to do, but I feel for students who won't get to have that celebration. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

So if anyone is wondering why this is spreading so fast.... I was exposed to coronavirus by a coworker. Health department told me to self isolate.. Work told me that I can still come in since I dont have a fever (only a cough right now). I also cant use our extended unpaid leave since I dont meet the fever criteria. So im being forced to drain my vacation pay right now, because I dont want to risk exposing my immune compromised clients. 

• Sad 9
  • WTF 7
  • Love 4

5 minutes ago, Belugaloo said:

Work told me that I can still come in since I dont have a fever

That is so ridiculous. Take care, @Belugaloo.

• I Agree 7

Just now, therulesofjinx said:

That is so ridiculous. Take care, @Belugaloo.

Hoping my very "by the books" extremely ethical doctor will agree to write me a note. I can access the extended unpaid leave with a doctors note even if I dont have a fever. *fingers crossed*

• Upvote 9

An entire apartment building within 2 miles of my daughter's place has been quarantined with confirmed infected people.

We're having a major meeting this morning to brainstorm what we can do to keep everyone safe.  Not having an in person meeting would be great.

My daughter's work isn't closing, even though their largest competitor is.  One of my sons works in a skilled nursing facility/retirement home and the other works at a grocery store...so no one is off work.  Both boys universities are closed so that's something.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

While schools are closed in Virginia, my husband had to go in today to prepare virtual lessons for the next two weeks. Hopefully teachers and staff are all practicing social distancing. I'm just wondering what will happen when this goes beyond the next two weeks. Do they go in again and do two MORE weeks of virtual lessons? Or will they be able to do it from home? Will the students get much of anything out of this emergency virtual learning? And at what point might the rest of the school year just be written off? This is going to be an interesting, if probably frustrating, experiment for teachers and students alike, I think. :my_confused:

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic