IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

Life in quarantine:  legit excited to quickly scroll to #30.  That was adorable!  Whoever's cats those were. ;)

• Haha 6

Forgot to update yesterday- I was approved to work from home! Most of the staff in my office was, except for one woman who doesn't have a computer or the internet at home (she's also 64 or 65 and takes public transportation, so she really shouldn't be out of her house.....but she doesn't have any time accrued to take days off)  or our front desk person who is a temp and not under our University's policies- but she has cut her hours way back and at least there are not many people in the building so they can stay away from each other easily.  So far, the University remains open, but I heard a rumor that all of the this semester's classes will continue to be held remotely- no plans to have students return to campus at all.  Which is good!

I hope everyone is as well as can be under the circumstances. I saw that today is the International Day of Happiness. Everyone should pause and take a deep breath today and so something that makes you happy.

Take care, all. I really should be working and not messing with my work from home privileges...

• Upvote 7

I'm in Germany and I'm thankful so many people are allowed to do homeoffice, that schools are closed and that most events have been cancelled. Most people I feel are taking this seriously. Of course there are always going to be people who are idiots or young, or both, who don't think the bans apply to them. Perhaps it's hard to imagine for them, public life has never been disrupted like this before. It's a learning curve for everyone.

My mom who is immune-compromised is in a health facility far away for two weeks, which is also good imo. She's careful and sensible so I hope she will be fine.

• Upvote 5

"It’s been a shitshow and it’s so frustrating because they have no idea when we’ll be back, if we come back, and how the rest of the semester will play out. Almost none of us have ever been trained in how to conduct online schooling, and it’s been a huge learning curve for us teachers as well. "

Shoot I tried to quote from a different thread but oops. Just agreeing with this poster. There is so much to think of how to do lessons, how to take attendance and grade students, etc. I don't think we are going back. I teach special education and am so overwhelmed by all the legalities involved. Ugh this sucks. 

• Upvote 2

John Oliver had a great, funny way to balance talking about responsibility with the normal human desire to complain (NSFW or with little kids around):

• Upvote 2

I'm now staying home since the company I work at finally shut completely down as of today, for at least 30 days. The good thing is that I'm still getting paid, so there's no need to worry about that at this point. My job is considered essential, so while the rest of the employees were working from home this past week, I still had to show up for work. Originally, we were told yesterday that we were only working Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I got the call this morning that we were now shut down.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Well, I tried to give someone some business and income safely, but the fence guy called me at the time he was supposed to come, and said the boss shut everything down completely last night. He sounded so sad and worried. I guess, even if the work is done outdoors, there are still too many ways they could endanger one another.

I've now got four piano families (nine students altogether) trying cyber-lessons.  Haven't heard from the rest.

I got an email from one family (two students) saying they can't afford lessons now, due to what this has cost them. I mostly hurt for them, not me (well, except for the fact that I will miss them). They are hoping they can start again at some point.

It's been 10 days since the last shopping trip - I haven't ventured beyond our yard since then. But we probably have enough for at least another week.

For the second time since this started, I just had to:

Spoiler

refill a toilet paper holder.

• Love 5

8 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Well, I tried to give someone some business and income safely, but the fence guy called me at the time he was supposed to come, and said the boss shut everything down completely last night. He sounded so sad and worried. I guess, even if the work is done outdoors, there are still too many ways they could endanger one another.

I've now got four piano families (nine students altogether) trying cyber-lessons.  Haven't heard from the rest.

I got an email from one family (two students) saying they can't afford lessons now, due to what this has cost them. I mostly hurt for them, not me (well, except for the fact that I will miss them). They are hoping they can start again at some point.

It's been 10 days since the last shopping trip - I haven't ventured beyond our yard since then. But we probably have enough for at least another week.

For the second time since this started, I just had to:

Hide contents

refill a toilet paper holder.

Never stop posting - laughing at your comments help me unclench momentarily.

I posted in other thread, but as of 5:00 pm tonight Illinois is on mandatory shelter at home.  I am working from home (all that can have to) and as we're an essential industry we'll remain open as long as the production team remains healthy, which I pray they do.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Are anyone else’s hands becoming affected by the more frequent than usual hand washing? I’ve always been prone to eczema but in the past few years it’s been mostly confined to my legs, so-called discoid eczema. For the past few days the back of my right hand has been rather red and dry. Bizarrely my left hand is as normal, perhaps slightly drier but without the redness. I’m right-handed, so maybe my slightly weaker left hand isn’t doing as great a job at getting all the soap off the right hand. I guess I just have to use plenty of hand cream.

(Spoiler to show you what I mean)

Spoiler

772AE456-67B4-434C-9B1A-16B68A8D102A.thumb.jpeg.74e93cb1d8c7cd8a0b4633705cd8bb67.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

Mine have some chapped spots.  I'm using leftover aloe vera gel in a giant container that I bought last summer.  (who knew I was really prepping for this).  Although with work from home and living alone I've lightened up on the hand washing a bit and my fingers are a bit happier with me.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Are anyone else’s hands becoming affected by the more frequent than usual hand washing? I’ve always been prone to eczema but in the past few years it’s been mostly confined to my legs, so-called discoid eczema. For the past few days the back of my right hand has been rather red and dry. Bizarrely my left hand is as normal, perhaps slightly drier but without the redness. I’m right-handed, so maybe my slightly weaker left hand isn’t doing as great a job at getting all the soap off the right hand. I guess I just have to use plenty of hand cream.

(Spoiler to show you what I mean)

Hide contents

772AE456-67B4-434C-9B1A-16B68A8D102A.thumb.jpeg.74e93cb1d8c7cd8a0b4633705cd8bb67.jpeg

From the pic that looks like my hand when I'm having an allergic reaction, but if it's not itchy or painful could be dry skin.

But yes, I'm going through hand lotion like crazy and then slathering this on a couple times a day...it's great because it's really inexpensive...under $2.00 a jar.

Spoiler

DSC031971.jpg

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy

It’s not particularly itchy or painful. I have to be careful to not have the tap water too hot, though. I googled hand eczema and it does seem to be common if you wash your hands a lot. I think that if it was an allergic reaction, it’d affect both hands, whereas my left hand is fine.

25292E32-6CD7-4199-B2B3-7D0B6389A93E.thumb.jpeg.c0ebc92bf14722d15957ee4a8f3b6401.jpeg

• Upvote 1

English schools are finally closed and we have started our isolation. I must admit that I feel sick with anxiety at the moment. It took so long to get to this point and I know of so many people who sent poorly kids to school or who were in bed with fever themselves when they sent kids in. I hope I will start to relax soon. 

I volunteered to help bring shopping to the elderly in my village but so far I've been to anxious and distracted to even check the group. Besides the only people hanging out in public are the elderly! They are refusing to stay in. Confusing times. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3

With the current COVID-19 outbreak, I'm sure many of us are aware of "social distancing" as a health practice.

Getting in the habit of standing 6 feet/2 meters away from everyone I interact with reminds me so much of distance implied in Fundie Courtships! The ruler from the Arby's Engagement crosses my mind almost every day. I even think back to my own United Methodist upbringing, where "room for Jesus!" was a common phrase at social events and lock-ins (although we often said it tongue-in-cheek).

I don't know where I'm going with this, but is anyone else seeing this connection? This might be a big logical jump, but might the current adjustments to socializing for the sake of health make fundies' courtship style easier for them, seeing as the whole world is being asked to physically behave the same way?

I haven't been on the boards as much lately so if someone has already brought this up somewhere, feel free to point me to that or to merge.

• Upvote 5

Maybe it's easier for the fundie courters, but I'm wondering how this will change the behavior of normal people who don't worry (depending on cultural background) about standing far enough away from another person.  I've been working in a large building with maybe five other people.  When I run into them we are both super aware of what six feet between us looks like.  I try to visualize one of my 6 foot coworkers lying between us, and that's how I determine whether I'm far enough away.  The 6 foot tall coworker doesn't know I'm doing this, but would probably laugh :)  I also think about how much harder the distance thing has been for Italians and Spanish people who have a different conception of personal space that we do in the US.  There will be some interesting studies of all kinds when this is over.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

I’ve wondered what will be permanent, too, and how different the world will look a year from now. 

• Upvote 4

I have a huge personal space bubble. I’ve been told Americans have rather large personal space bubbles in general. But it’s not six feet. That’s pretty big. Although I’m happy to interact with people 6 feet away. I’m pretty socially awkward so the 6 feet sounds great to me. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

In California, our governor in lieu of saying lockdown is saying 'safer at home'.  I immediately thought of the Ardnts!  Mom must be thrilled we are all on her page now. ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 16

Why are the networks still running toilet tissue ads?

• Haha 10
  • I Agree 4

On 3/19/2020 at 3:20 AM, Beermeet said:

Just got back from the market.  Better success today. Still very dystopian.  I did get eggs!  Thank goodness.   

I'm just thrilled I recently binged The Handmaids Tale. Me a month later:   "They had eggs at the market!" ?   

The owner of the gym I go to Saud he saw a queue in the supermarket and joined it to buy whatever it was, because he probably needed it. (It turned out to be a 2 pack of toilet paper). And I was just there going "when the hell did we turn into Soviet Russia?"

On 3/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I wasn't sure about posting this, but then I thought that we haven't scared enough the rest of the world into action, maybe you still have time, so here it is. Under spoiler.

Hide contents

If your loved one Is hospitalised with COVID you won't see them again unless they recover. There aren't enough masks and hazmat suits to let family members visit. If they die you won't be able to see them for the same reason. No proper funerals are allowed because of social distancing measures.

In Bergamo there are so many dead that the crematorium can't keep up and the graveyard has no storage space enough to keep all the coffins waiting for the crematorium. Yesterday army vehicles started transporting the coffins in excess to other regions to be cremated.

IMG_20200319_083856.jpg.f7c0ffdc1bae5654daf421c868fad374.jpg

Source

At the moment Australia's hospital facilities look set to be overwhelmed in the next fortnight judging by the trend numbers available.  We are not flattening quickly enough at all.

10 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

Forgot to update yesterday- I was approved to work from home! Most of the staff in my office was, except for one woman who doesn't have a computer or the internet at home (she's also 64 or 65 and takes public transportation, so she really shouldn't be out of her house.....but she doesn't have any time accrued to take days off)

This really annoys me - what duty of care does the employer have here to an employee who is obviously in an at risk category? Honestly I hope public transport is as dead quiet as it is here, and she's handwashing frequently.

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

In California, our governor in lieu of saying lockdown is saying 'safer at home'.  I immediately thought of the Ardnts!  Mom must be thrilled we are all on her page now. ?

But there’s 16 of them! They have to kick out 6 man boys to the neighboring Arndt house we heard about. 

• Upvote 6

On 3/18/2020 at 2:52 PM, Alisamer said:

Happy birthday! Today is my birthday, and wow is it strange! I'm absolutely OK with staying home, but worried sick about money... I work for a small business and we are almost certainly going to have to either close entirely or let basically everyone go so they can get unemployment, according to my boss. And my sister was quarantined by her doctor yesterday, and told not to leave the house except to get a COVID-19 test. Which might be a few days, apparently.

My mom wanted to bring over my birthday gift today. I told her to leave it on the back porch then call me from the car. She and dad are active still, but both at risk due to age and blood pressure and other issues and I very much do not want them to get sick!

I think one of the things I'll remember about this time is how everything smells vaguely of disinfectant. I think there will be permanent changes in society after this, but I'm not quite sure what they'll be, yet.

happy belated birthday! it was my birthday too.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

School just sent an email that kids will be out until 5/5. It was 4/13 but we all knew that would change.  I'd be surprised if they go back this school year.  I get the feeling they put a date on it for hope more than anything.  

• Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic