IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

16 minutes ago, freealljs said:

I think that my FJ family will keep me sane. 

I think having a place to virtually gather without fear of infecting each other will help a lot of us as we get through this.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think having a place to virtually gather without fear of infecting each other will help a lot of us as we get through this.

I find the laughter around here to be infectious sometimes,

Spoiler

image.png.3a539c581bfe116ec59cb897bdc1973e.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 7

Something occurred to me.  I wonder if all these experts are taking in to account psychological and biological considerations and are working with psychological experts?  I would sure hope so.  Modern humans have been on this planet for 300,000 years and various ancestor species go as much as 4 to 7 million years back depending on who you ask.  My point is that there's several million years of biological / psychological coding hardwired into us, for example food, shelter, social connection, and fornication.  And that's with cultural values and beliefs layered on top of it.  I think what they're doing now is going to cause people to go out anyways or lash out and harm themselves or others.  I think government needs to do a better job of addressing people's needs in a way that actually helps people without trying to fight people's basic needs.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

29 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Something occurred to me.  I wonder if all these experts are taking in to account psychological and biological considerations and are working with psychological experts?  I would sure hope so.  Modern humans have been on this planet for 300,000 years and various ancestor species go as much as 4 to 7 million years back depending on who you ask.  My point is that there's several million years of biological / psychological coding hardwired into us, for example food, shelter, social connection, and fornication.  And that's with cultural values and beliefs layered on top of it.  I think what they're doing now is going to cause people to go out anyways or lash out and harm themselves or others.  I think government needs to do a better job of addressing people's needs in a way that actually helps people without trying to fight people's basic needs.  

Humans are tribal creatures and along with that comes the impetus to protect our fellow travelers, even if that means putting aside our own pleasure for a while.

I believe most of the people ignoring the social distance thing is because they are misinformed...IMO very few people have a true lack of concern for others.

I agree the government needs to address food and shelter to make sure our primal survival needs are met but once you go up Maslow's hierarchy for socializing and sex if people can't find other ways to get those needs met without lashing out or self harming that's about them.  We have self control and there has never been a time where it's been easier to maintain contact with loved ones without physical proximity.  It's not ideal but it's better than the alternative which is increasing the death toll.

• Upvote 9

My dad died yesterday (Wednesday).

Not COVID-related; he's been in hospice since January due to neurological issues.

But my stepmom, sister, two of my uncles and I have agreed to postpone a graveside service in addition to a memorial gathering while this pandemic is happening. Most of our family and his friends are middle-aged (my twin and me, and our spouses) or older, and it's just not worth the risk. And we know that he absolutely would not have wanted any of us to risk it.

I live in Maryland but drove down here to Florida last Monday, so I had several days helping care for him while he was aware before he declined and was moved to the hospice facility. I'm glad for that, and that his suffering is over. (Among other things, he had lost his ability to speak, which was hard for him as he loved brief little chats with anyone he encountered during his day before his aphasia progressed.)

I'm planning to stay for probably another week - to support my stepmom, and to make sure my elderly uncles don't go to the grocery store as they were planning until I begged them to let me do it for them.  One has terrible allergies right now and the other has Agent Orange-related disabilities, including cancer; I couldn't believe when he said he was planning to go out, after his VA doc told him not to.

And truthfully, while I know my husband wants me to come home sooner thater than later, I'm not ready to be away from my twin yet. I hate the thought of either of us getting sick with the other one so many states away.

I've been out of work for awhile and frustrated by that fact, but am grateful at the moment that I have the flexibility, without a job, to be here with my family right now.

Anyway, that's my world right now. I am thinking of all of you around the world, and the college and high school kids probably missing graduation, and those of you whose employment or family members are greatly at-risk right now, and those of you who struggle with anxiety and depression at the best og times (like me), and I'm holding you all in my heart. Be safe and kind, as much as you can. ?

Spoiler

berk and twins.jpg

Edited by scoutsadie
Wanted to include a pic of my daddy with us twins, in all of our early-'70s glory.
  • Sad 1
  • Love 43

14 hours ago, Belugaloo said:

Oh my gosh. Can you try and ask a doctor to write a note for him? I imagine if they say he is isolated for coronavirus until X day, they will have to honor it? The doctor can say due to a shortage of tests we advise to consider this a case of coronavirus even though it cannot be confirmed??? 

Late last night he stayed signed in for over two hours to get a telemedicine appointment. The Dr agreed that he should stay isolated and provided a note but when he said my company is requiring a positive test to allow sick pay, the Dr said and I quote "well they can take that positive test requirement and shove it". There are no tests available except for those at risk. I understand that and am not faulting doctors but this is all so f*cked up. 

14 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My dad died a long time ago, but I'm thinking of him now.

I feel bad about this confession but my grandparents have died over the last few years and I'm glad. I can't imagine the fear and anxiety they and I would have knowing that they are at risk and trying to protect them from it. My grandfather died peacefully in his sleep a year and a half ago in an assisted living facility. My parents picked him up at least once a week for a home cooked meal even though he had the staff wrapped around his finger cooking him salmon almost every night (bc that was his favorite). Just knowing the hurt and betrayal he would have felt if they said, no you can't come over tonight bc we don't want you to get sick... My heart breaks for everyone dealing with this right now. There are no right answers, nothing we can say or do to fix this. If it means anything to you, you're in my thoughts and prayers. Love to all. 

• Love 16

I wasn't sure about posting this, but then I thought that we haven't scared enough the rest of the world into action, maybe you still have time, so here it is. Under spoiler.

Spoiler

If your loved one Is hospitalised with COVID you won't see them again unless they recover. There aren't enough masks and hazmat suits to let family members visit. If they die you won't be able to see them for the same reason. No proper funerals are allowed because of social distancing measures.

In Bergamo there are so many dead that the crematorium can't keep up and the graveyard has no storage space enough to keep all the coffins waiting for the crematorium. Yesterday army vehicles started transporting the coffins in excess to other regions to be cremated.

IMG_20200319_083856.jpg.f7c0ffdc1bae5654daf421c868fad374.jpg

Source

• Sad 11
  • Love 14

I work with people who still say this is just a bad flu.  I’m annoying and correct them saying this is closer to a deadly cold than the flu due to the virus type.  One of them is one of my bosses who quite frankly has health issues and probably should be concerned.  But, since corporate issues the work from home if possible email there wasn’t a fight for me to work from home,  

of the possible 8 in my group (plus 2 interns) 2 are corporate and work from home a lot anyway (this week one on vacation one working from home), I’m not sure where our head is but he’s likely working from home (germphobe), and two of us are working from home as of Wednesday.  I had to take care of so in person yesterday there were 3 in the office.  No clue what is going on with our interns. One of them is an international student.  

I really need the rain to go away here so I can go take a walk outside.  FYI we’re close to flash flood stages here.  Ditches between my home and work we’re filled.  And it is raining again today.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

since i am working from home and we are doing bulletins from home 

the music director asked me if i had access to the music datebase from the office computer 

I was like no 

who knew a global pandemic would make me have to access to a music database. 

FIRST Time I laughed since this all began. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

My dad died yesterday (Wednesday).

Not COVID-related; he's been in hospice since January due to neurological issues.

But my stepmom, sister, two of my uncles and I have agreed to postpone a graveside service in addition to a memorial gathering while this pandemic is happening. Most of our family and his friends are middle-aged (my twin and me, and our spouses) or older, and it's just not worth the risk. And we know that he absolutely would not have wanted any of us to risk it.

@scoutsadie, my heart goes out to you. Thank you for loving and protecting your family members as your father loved and protected all of you. I hope that the happy memories work to crowd out the pain, in time. :hug:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

I hadn't personally freaked out until this morning. Given I am, and have been, self isolating for a 10 days so far for unrelated reasons, I just felt a bit "safer" on a personal level. Of course I worry about family & friends & what is to come. But, there has just not been any panic or anxiety.

Until this morning. My 20 year old nephew is a Fire Department cadet. He is about 17 months into the 24 month program. They were informed yesterday that their class is be "emergency activated" to serve during the national emergency. They will get three final days of training this week then starting Saturday, they will be joining the union and working as active firefighters with the city - by driving the ambulances for COVID-19 patients and COVID-19 patients only. 

I'm proud of him but freaking terrified for him. He's 20. He's feeling kind of heroic. I get that. But, there is still so damn much we don't know that those of us who have accepted our mortality (not living the invincible life of young aduls) are freaking terrified for him. 

• Love 16

@scoutsadie, I'm so sorry about your father. 

@laPapessaGiovanna, I have an online friend in Bergamo whom I've 'known' virtually for about 14 years (we 'met' on an old Harry Potter board, found that we're both raging Anglophiles, and have been firm friends ever since). We've been emailing back and forth through all this and she's absolutely terrified. Her family--husband, grown daughter-- is all right for now, but her mother is bedridden with a broken leg, and my friend has to leave her home and go to her mother's place several times a day to give her meals, bathe her, and even take care of her most personal bathroom needs. She says nurses aren't allowed to do home visits now, so it's all falling on her. She's scared to death she'll come down with the virus, and then who will take care of her mother? My heart hurts for her. :my_cry:

• Love 14

As of today in Florida, there are almost 400 confirmed cases of Covid-19.  I'm appalled at the lack of concern by the Spring Breakers, who have inundated the beaches in south Florida.  Their concerns seem to be about the bar closures and NOT about possibly being carriers.  I would LOVE to hear from them when/if one of their loved ones die.  Their parents should be ashamed of themselves.  

Fortunately, I'm in Bay county, where the "no alcohol on the sandy beaches for the month of March" rule implemented years ago, seems to have staved off those Spring Breakers.  

@scoutsadie, I am very sorry for your loss. Virtual hugs!

Edited by freealljs
  • Love 8

3 minutes ago, freealljs said:

As of today in Florida, there are almost 400 confirmed cases of Covid-19.  I'm appalled at the lack of concern by the Spring Breakers, who have inundated the beaches in south Florida.  Their concerns seem to be about the bar closures and NOT about possibly being carriers.  I would LOVE to hear from them when/if one of their loved ones die.  Their parents should be ashamed of themselves.  

Fortunately, I'm in Bay county, where the "no alcohol on the sandy beaches for the month of March" rule implemented years ago, seems to have staved off those Spring Breakers.  

@scoutsadie, I am very sorry for your loss. Virtual hugs!

Thanks so much for your kind words and thoughts, everyone.

@freealljs, as you were posting, I was saying to my brother-in-law here in Jacksonville how much it pisses me off to see pics of people frolicking at crowded beaches right now. Not because I begrudge anyone enjoyment, but because I begrudge people enjoying themselves at the likely risk to others' lives.

I wish they all had to read that article above about the Italian army transporting people's bodies to crematoriums which are running 24 hours a day to handle nearly one body per hour. One region has had 93 deaths so far. Or articles by ER docs saying that they are unexpectedly seeing 20-year old victims who were otherwise healthy.

I think this is only the beginning.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

Ty for that @laPapessaGiovanna.  It's best we learn from you all in Italy.  It's absolutely surreal.  I've seen too many people excusing the deaths as " they were old and had pre-existing conditions,what do you expect ".  Horrid view to have. So, our elders dropping like flies isn't a big deal?  So callous.  I don't understand.  

Many think this is "fake news".  Way to go Trump. Worst president to be in charge of our country period.  Especially now.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

On a light note - I've watched some of Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah's videos, and it's fun to see them trying a new way to work.

They're letting facial hair grow, and Trevor is working in sweats (funny how being home and still being seen seems to have different rules than coming to a studio and being seen!), and it's fun to see their houses.

Jon Batiste (Late Show bandleader) has some nice art on the walls, and I like Colbert's bathroom (he did his first at-home segment in his bathtub . . . in a suit and tie).

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

So, our elders dropping like flies isn't a big deal?  So callous.  I don't understand.  

Monday, my last day in the office in a meeting about WFH, virus, etc. someone said people were calling the virus "The Boomer Remover."  

The entire room went silent.  I get dark humor, but ffs that's not funny.

51 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

On a light note - I've watched some of Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah's videos, and it's fun to see them trying a new way to work.

They're letting facial hair grow, and Trevor is working in sweats (funny how being home and still being seen seems to have different rules than coming to a studio and being seen!), and it's fun to see their houses.

Jon Batiste (Late Show bandleader) has some nice art on the walls, and I like Colbert's bathroom (he did his first at-home segment in his bathtub . . . in a suit and tie).

I loved that.  I cracked up at the framed pic of Bootsie and Jake that he "always keeps by his bathub."

Kimmel is doing the same, as is Fallon.  Jimmy Fallon looks absolutely miserable.  I don't usually read YouTube comments but I did on that one to see if anyone else mentioned it but they were all 100% positive so I'm assuming someone is scrubbing them.  Honestly - he looks like he's a hostage.  

Trevor and team are now trying to do a version of TDS from their phones and today I saw the first one - he was talking to Roy Wood Jr and it was pretty funny.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • WTF 5

Sent a message to my doctor yesterday asking if I could adjust my fluoxetine medication.  Turns out he's not available until next week but the nurse went to the on-call doctor who said it was fine to take two pills a day. 

Even before the crisis work insurance as a matter of course insisted that we all use mail order for long term prescriptions so I'm using that. 

I'm trying to see if my GI doctor can talk to the insurance company and get them to pay for a 90 day supply of omeprazole.  They normally don't since it's OTC and I'm over 18 but I don't want to rely on OTC in this environment since I need that medicine to head off any long term effects like Barrett's.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

For those of you in and around Chicago Mayor Lightfoot is doing a press conference about Corona at 5:00 tonight (in about 9 minutes.)

I'm in the burbs, but what Chicago does affects the whole metro area so I'm interested.

• Upvote 1

I've been following the Chad Daybell/Lori Vallow Daybell case in Idaho.  There are a ton of characters and a lot of bodies all tangled up with Mormon End Times and various visions and prophecies. 

Anyway, Lori Vallow Daybell's niece's new husband works for Melaleuca, a Mormon MLM company that is headquartered in Rexburgh, ID and sells personal care and cleaning products.  East Idaho Times just had an article that mentions that Melaleuca has had to hire 50 more employees to keep up with demand.  Who knows, maybe all the people on the downline will finally make some money. 

Melaleuca hiring at least 50 employees to handle shopper surge

Also, unrelated to Melaleuca, MediCare has just approved telemedicine appointments.  I did that yesterday, and saved a trip to my doctor's office. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

There's a truck eating bridge down in Davenport, Iowa.  Today it had a snack.  A truck carrying....wait for it...that's right, toilet paper!

https://97x.com/truck-eating-bridge-strikes-again-3/

• Haha 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic