IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

NBA just canceled the remainder of their season after a positive test on a player. 

• Upvote 2

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson who are probably the only Hollywood people who have been happily married for 30 years have tested positive for Coronavirus. 

I wish they would have called it the Wuhan Flu or that covid-19 would catch on. 

42 minutes ago, adidas said:

Tom Hanks and his wife are in Australia and have tested positive.

I genuinely hope they recover well and that they didn’t spread it to too many people. I’m not sure of their movements but I imagine movie sets and premieres involve being in close contact with lots of people ?

Quoting myself - it looks like the officials have a LOT of contact tracing to do :( 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/coronavirus-rita-wilson-diagnosed-performed-at-sydney-opera-house/news-story/1410f6b3e851863e379ba56f111722bf

• Upvote 2

I've been trying to convince my mom to reschedule her and my dad's flight to Florida next week... she says they'll not go if the flight is cancelled. ? My dad is 62 with asthma, and my 85-year-old grandmother lives with them.
But apparently she's 'thinking' about it. 

• WTF 2

17 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

The exception will be international students or others who cannot return home for some reason.  All faculty and staff are to remain available to the campus, at least for the time being. 

That's actually basically what happened here, too- my University's plan wasn't as extreme as was initially rumored. Students are to stay home unless they need to live on-campus; residential staff will remain in the dorms and dining halls will be open. All classes will be held remotely beginning next Wednesday. All large gatherings on-campus are cancelled; only meetings with 25 people or less will be allowed. We've had to cancel some pretty huge events that we've been planning for for a long time, but I totally understand and respect the University's decisions.  The University will stay open for the time being so hourly paid employees will still be able to work and get paid!

• Upvote 3

So listening to CNBC Squawk Box on the way to work this morning (Sirius) and they were talking to someone who had been on a Jet Blue flight from NY to Florida last night.  They were held on the runway for 2(+?) hours.  Why - because mid-flight a man was notified that he was covid19 positive.   (me:  WTF was he doing on a plane if he was even possibly infected???) He was apparently not coughing and wearing a mask but they had to wait for public health officials to show up and take the man - plus his wife and daughter off the plane for quarantine (me: WTF was he doing on a plane???).  Health officials thought it was just fine for most of the people to just go on their way and not worry unless symptomatic.  (What the hell??)

• WTF 7

13 hours ago, indianabones said:

Poor Italy, too. As soon as the virus has passed, and I'm making money again, I think I'm going to try and plan a trip there. They're going to need tourist dollars.

Thank you seriously @indianabones here the situation is starting to be really scary, everything is closing except for the few things that are considered essential, like pharmacy doctor office, post office in many little city, gas station and some other workplace. Some politics seems to still root for the virus to kill many people, I just read a statement from Salvini who said there will be over 1000 death total on Sunday, people here are already freaking out badly (my father just told me he saw two people in a car wit the mask...) and our politics instead of helping people focussing on the rules we all should respect, they focus on the death tols...it's so raging!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 10

I posted in Politics thread but my school district closed today.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

NBA just canceled the remainder of their season after a positive test on a player. 

The MLB canceled the rest of Spring Training and delayed Opening Day by at least two weeks, and the NCAA has canceled all tournaments.

• Upvote 3

I am sick of hearing how this is no big deal, politicians blowing it out of proportion, just a flu … from people who are PISSED about the sports stuff being cancelled.

My kid just cancelled a trip to Europe he was looking forward to for months...due to leave Sunday but he's staying home.  I get that he's disappointed and I'll listen to him vent, but I expect more from people at work who know exactly how bad this can break for our company.

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1

As a sports fan myself, am I happy about it?  No.  But I do understand the necessity, and I’ll survive.

Edited by smittykins
Sentences end with periods, not commas
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

kajkals;jkfasldfkjA HS classmate posted a video of Trump's "address to the nation" and said:

Spoiler

"Love him... hate him... don't care about him... Everything he said here was spot on.

It doesn't matter where you stand on the political spectrum because a virus doesn't give a crap who you're voting for. Our president has taken the steps necessary to pursue a course of action that will end this as quickly as possible. Our current economy* has enabled us to take care of those that would otherwise feel forced to go in to work from fear of suffering financially. This, in turn, will help prevent spread of the virus and end this even sooner and get us back on track as a nation.

As I said... it doesn't matter what you think of him as a person... or even as President. I can't imagine a better way of handling this."

* is mine. The current economy that's leading to a bunch of layoffs...?

On the bright side, the responses weren't 'yay Trump!" as I had feared (though it does have 8 likes and 1 love ?).

Spoiler

"Way too late, though. The virus is here and I bet rampant. Idgaf about politics either but a week ago it was a fuggin hoax, according to Trump."

"My issue is this administration gutted the CDC early on and removed the key personnel in charge of pandemic emergency protocols. And now the response is a day late and a dollar short."

ETA: Same guy posted a video about Biden telling the gun guy he's full of a shit with the following comment:
"Man... what a piece of human garbage. It will be SO friggin hilarious watching him stumble his way through debates. Trump isn't a gracious speaker... but I'd put a monkey with half a brain up against Biden and I'd put my money on the monkey wiping the floor with him."
If Trump tells someone they're full of shit, though, he's applauded.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 1

I can't help it. I'm hoping Trumpie gets a bad case and runs down the curtain, joining the choir invisible.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it.  I'm tired.  So tired.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I successfully convinced both of my parents to stay home from work until the virus is over! My sister and I are very relieved. My dad's turning their guest room into a home office so he's not constantly in communal space and has a little bit of work/life separation. I challenged my mom to find a new hobby she can do at home and to set up regular phone dates with her friends so she feels less isolated, since she can't work from home and is taking a leave of absence (unless her work fires her. She still has yet to hear from them after emailing that she would no longer be coming in. ?)

My school announced last night that they're extending our spring break from one week to two and pushing back graduation one week. This sucks for me because I have a vacation planned smack dab in the middle of that, so I either have to cancel or miss my last three classes. I'm taking a math class this upcoming quarter and I'm dreading having to do it online. Once this quarter is over, though, I'm giving myself permission to install The Sims 3 onto my laptop and play it non-stop for all of spring break. My guiltiest of pleasures!

All of my upcoming housesitting clients from next week until May have canceled on me. I don't blame them considering that Trump is talking about cutting off travel between where I live and other states, but the loss of income still sucks. I did have one of my dogwalking clients tell me that she's officially working from home for the foreseeable future but still wants me to walk her dog because she knows I've been hemorrhaging clients and really need the money. Clients like that are the best.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 6

On 3/9/2020 at 5:33 PM, louisa05 said:

My sister-in-law “disinfected” her yoga studio with essential oils and vodka. She is also “saging” it daily. 

Do  we share a sister?

Mine also messaged me yesterday that she was putting in an order for oils if I wanted some.  She said they were better than hand sanitizer.  

I didn't reply, I couldn't.  I would have said something rude.

My kids have their last day of school today until April 5th.  

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Do  we share a sister?

Mine also messaged me yesterday that she was putting in an order for oils if I wanted some.  She said they were better than hand sanitizer.  

I didn't reply, I couldn't.  I would have said something rude.

My kids have their last day of school today until April 5th.  

Yesterday she shared a “medical study” that “proves” burning sage in a room “clears bacteria” and told us where to buy sage which will be all we need.  Of course this wasn’t from a peer reviewed scientific journal.  And viruses and bacteria are not the same. 
The worst part is her mother believes everything she says and her father believes about 75%. They are over 60 with underlying health conditions and at high risk. ?

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

Just need to talk this out, and I figured this was an OK place to do so (I don't want everyone in my office to think I've turned into a doomsday prepper)- my biggest concern right now is not getting sick (although I understand that that is a real possibility!) but my concern is that, with so many people getting sick in over half the countries on Earth and so many businesses altering hours or closing all together, manufacturing/production/shipping is going to either slow greatly (and I know it has slowed already in some areas) or stop all together and stuff we didn't even think about not having will not be available. I know 100% that I am privileged in normally being able to go out and grab what I need and that there are people who don't have the luxury, but it's frightening to think about. Honestly, I'm mostly concerned that I keep enough stuff for my dog and three guinea pigs- they have no choice in what/when they're fed or walked or cleaned and I want to keep their routine as normal as possible and keep them fed and happy. So, I will be stockpiling dog food and piggie pellets and hay and bedding this weekend.

Edited to add: I'm obviously also concerned for those that are sick. Just wanted to throw that in there! But, I think we all are...Take care, everyone!

Edited by therulesofjinx
Clarification
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 3

@therulesofjinx that isn’t being selfish.  That is careful planning.  This is different than racing to the store to buy all the TP and bottled water.  

I did my planning and prepping over the last two weekends.  This week was just a normal grocery pickup for me (and I’ve been doing that for quite some time).  I did, in my prepping buy an extra container of cat litter.  The Spook’s food is Rx and comes via auto ship from Chewy.  

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, clueliss said:

that isn’t being selfish.  That is careful planning.

Thank you. No one else around me, besides my fiance, seems to be prepping quite like I am and it made me feel sort of materialistic for grabbing things I don't need now but may need down the line. I am making sure not to go overboard and to buy only items that we will actually use or eat even if we don't end up stuck at home for an extended period of time (an extra thing of laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, canned beans, etc.). But I am fiercely committed to taking care of my pets to the best of my ability and may go overboard for them. :)

• Upvote 3

Most of us won't get sick.

But our lives may change nevertheless.  I live near an epicenter in the US.  My sister is a nurse who has been working on a floor where an immediate family member of a Biogen convention goer is being treated for "the flu".  No word on whether he has actually been tested, but she was alerted. My sister helps me take care of my elderly and ailing father who lives with us.  No more.  She can't come in here.  Nor can her college-age daughter (my father's favorite grandchild), who was sent home from school. 

Because my sister was in my house the night before last, I am not allowed to come into my work office in Boston. I am also in the process of interviewing for a new job.  The hiring manager is an old boss of mine and we are going through the final (phone only) interviews now.   I have an interview with his boss in a hour.  But I'm frankly terrified of giving notice at my current job, lest the new place end up with a hiring freeze during those two weeks.  (It's a financial organization).  My current boss would hold a grudge for all eternity.

My husband has health issues.  So I'm stuck working from home at a job that sucks and is difficult to do remotely, a sick husband, an elderly, wheelchair bound father and I'm afraid to try to move forward with my life.

My problems are trivial in the scheme of things.  But in time, all of our lives may be altered in some very unexpected ways. Just the economic uncertainty alone can have paralyzing effects.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 16

I decided to not take the bar in July this year.  I'm going to hold off until next February.  It's just too much right now to deal with otherwise. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I am glad I didnt get fired this morning. I have always been upfront about having an autoimmune disorder. I am an ABA therapist and a lot of the clients we service have additional health issues. Currently, I have a client whose mom just finished cancer treatment. I was really disappointed with my companies coronavirus policy. I followed their initial protocol to the T, but when I was supposed to have a staff meeting this morning I asked if I could call in via Skype (which doesnt fuck up our insurance billing at all, so it won't change anything financially) because I want to limit my exposure to other co workers who are working with a different group of clients I would never come in to contact with (with the idea being that if we dont cross over, I can minimize the exposure to my clients and they can do the same for theirs). I was told no. Even though I have an autoimmune disorder. Even though our governor has made recommendations to work from home. Even though we have cases reported in the counties we service. 

So naturally, being the bratty 23 year old I am, I responded by taking the day off from work. At least they didnt fire me. But im still peeved that I just lost a vacation day because my boss doesnt care about keeping everyone alive and out of the hospital. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic