IGNORED

Bates 28: Defected Products Courtesy of the SOTDRT

HerNameIsBuffy

Just now, irish_dancing_canadian said:

Meanwhile in Germany we went into partial lockdown on November 2nd and full lockdown two weeks ago. It’s so astounding to see all these Americans acting like nothing is wrong. 

It’s astounding to us too. The thing is, a lot of people do take this seriously in the US. I know tons of people who haven’t eaten in a restaurant since March. I know tons of people who always wear a mask and have been since the beginning. However there is a good sized group of Americans not taking it seriously and they are doing a large portion of the spreading. I know someone who didn’t take it seriously at all. Still had birthday parties for her kids and went about her life like nothing was happening. In the last month, their whole family had Covid. Including her mother and father in law who both died. And she was really sick with covid but recovered. This is why so many fundies have had covid. Because the more you act like the pandemic is not real, the more you expose yourself to getting it. It’s just statistics really. If you stay home and wear masks in public, you have way less of a chance statistically than if you travel all over, singing at random churches, attending big indoor weddings, and eating at all the restaurants along the way. I just wish these fundies knew how many people they’ve killed. 

• Upvote 18

On 12/29/2020 at 6:19 PM, Lgirlrocks said:

Moderna will be used in places where they don’t have access to an extra cold freezer. That will mostly be small towns and rural areas. 

We live in San Diego, so not rural, and it appears my mother is scheduled to get Moderna by the end of the week if all goes according to schedule.   I filled out and turned in the paperwork for her this afternoon.  Each state is getting an allotment as they are delivered and  CVS and Walgreen's are doing the injections at the long term care facilities under federal contract so they're injecting what they have on hand.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

Meanwhile in Germany we went into partial lockdown on November 2nd and full lockdown two weeks ago. It’s so astounding to see all these Americans acting like nothing is wrong. 

Totally this.  Although I would like to see the German lockdown be stricter, like it was in the spring.  It's crazy to me that schools and shops are all closed but you can still go on vacation to Tenerife.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

Totally this.  Although I would like to see the German lockdown be stricter, like it was in the spring.  It's crazy to me that schools and shops are all closed but you can still go on vacation to Tenerife.  

First off, I totally agree on that.. it is really weird..

OTOH (I work for an airline in Germany), for most vacations you have to get tested once or even twice (once before and then again right after you land), depending on the destination. It is all a matter of the concept that is offered of course, but I believe it might be easier to 'social distance' lying at the beach, or your house in Tenerife (loads of germans live on the canary islands over the winter, so it's not very much different than if they social distance at home)

That being said, people are expected to socially distance, and I am sure there are a few bad apples everywhere. Socially distancing in your own house, or on a sun chair at a beach somewhere 2 meters away from other people is probably easier than in a school. They also have to quarantine again after coming back again from vacation, and can only exit quarantine after a couple of days due to taking a test..

I do not know how it is enforced in Germany, I don't live in Germany, I'm also not allowed to go to Germany atm, which means I am not legally allowed to work.. so much fun..

I see it from another standpoint though, I guess. People want to go on vacation, we saw it this summer, and we see it now, and this way, at least there is a concept. It was less strict over the summer, and I think we saw where it lead.

Personally, i do agree with you though. I'd say it be better that schools are open, and people just stick to the rules a little bit longer, in order for all of us to get through with it. and honestly, personally I wasn't really tempted to go on vacation at any point, I very much value my life and vacation is supposed to be relaxing and fun, not being in another country and having to worry about bringing a deadly virus home.

I flew home from the us on the day the flight ban from EU to US was announced. Suddenly, everybody was wearing masks, some people were wearing weird costumes, it was slightly terrifying. Don't really need to repeat that..

• Upvote 2

I don't know if this is medically accurate but it just seems to me that it'd be easier for us all if we shut almost everything down and limit travel as much as possible for 3 weeks instead of having partial to semi-strict lockdown for 3 months or more, which is what looks likely now. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My governor is doing fairly well compared to a lot of others. We have a curfew from 10-5am. It started in November and will last into January. We’ve had a mask mandate for a long while now but there are lots of rural places that don’t enforce it. All the big cities do though. Big concerts are definitely not allowed like we saw in Tennessee. However he will never try to shut down any churches. Even if they are being idiots. 

Are you in Ohio? I am and that sounds very familiar. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Are you in Ohio? I am and that sounds very familiar. 

Yes. I 100% disagree on our governor’s prolife BS but at least he isn’t being a total idiot about the pandemic.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I don't know if this is medically accurate but it just seems to me that it'd be easier for us all if we shut almost everything down and limit travel as much as possible for 3 weeks instead of having partial to semi-strict lockdown for 3 months or more, which is what looks likely now. 

I think the problem here is that you could do that if everybody is following the rules. I mean, it worked in china, and it works in a lot of asian countries.. but they are used to being controlled by the government. I mean, in the last couple of months there were people in the media comparing the masks to holocaust, and saying that this christmas is the worst christmas since after wartime.

So, people are just WAY too spoiled, and privileged and don't give a **** about others, it's just me me me, and they don't care what this does to other people. I'm not saying i wanna live in China or a very controlled regime, but I think the fact that everybody knows that they are usually able to do pretty much everything has really screwed the western world over big times..

Also, I am not saying it is everybody, in fact it is probably not even that big of a group. it is just that the group that does that is being talked about the most. Newspapers don't report about Peter, 45 years old who has been in homeoffice since march, with his wife and his two kids. They concentrate on the asshats that scream bloody murder about having to wear a mask for five minutes in a supermarket...

My parents were talking about that the other day.. They said that so many people are against the vaccination, but still they complain about us not getting that many doses yet.. Doses have been distributed for 4 days now here, and we are a rather small european country. It's a bit ridiculous, and I actually got a bit irritated with them, because it's the same thing here. Sure, quite a few people might not wanna get the vaccination, but that does not mean those people are complaining about who gets the vaccination first.. It's just that media reports what people say why they wouldn't get the vaccination right away, and again, won't print about Peter, 45, saying that yeah, he'll get the vaccination once it is avaliable for him because he thinks it is a good way to protect himself, his family and others..

Sorry about the rant.. I had too many arguments about that already..

• Upvote 16

150 employees of a certain Costco in my state have tested positive for COVID in the last month and their local (Republican) legislators used it as an excuse to criticize our governor for closing down indoor dining and gyms but not grocery stores.

I'm at the end of my rope with these idiots by this point.

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

150 employees of a certain Costco in my state have tested positive for COVID in the last month and their local (Republican) legislators used it as an excuse to criticize our governor for closing down indoor dining and gyms but not grocery stores.

I'm at the end of my rope with these idiots by this point.

Oh lord and my state was worried about 30 cases and placed restrictions on Christmas visitations. I think Victoria went into full state lock down for ages over 100 cases. 
Some out there Americans may call Aussie’s sheep for obeying our strict laws. But we as a country are doing pretty well in my opinion. I am sheltered somewhat being an essential employee.  But when I see the rest of the world I feel glad to be Aussie. Our geographical separation helps us greatly too. 
I just wanna add the fundies must not be praying hard enough (or at all) this covid shit is still here and Biden got in. Lol. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Some out there Americans may call Aussie’s sheep for obeying our strict laws. But we as a country are doing pretty well in my opinion

I would much rather be in Australia than here with this U.S. shitshow. Nope "it's all about me, me, me" is apparently now the American way, unfortunately. 

This whole thing drives me insane and has really opened my eyes to so many levels of crazy in this country.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Here to say Americans are not the only ones breaking rules. I have family in the UK in the Russian community and have been appalled how much they and their friends are breaking rules, in what is considered a strict lockdown. Americans are probably worse, but they're not the only ones.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

Here to say Americans are not the only ones breaking rules. I have family in the UK in the Russian community and have been appalled how much they and their friends are breaking rules, in what is considered a strict lockdown. Americans are probably worse, but they're not the only ones.

I have a friend who lives in Belarus, and apparently it's all a big ol' joke there even though they are at the CDC's Level 4. Infuriates me. 

(And yes all the dumb shit Americans dancing away at giant NYE parties infuriate me too. I somehow despise even more people than a year ago. A feat most would have considered impossible.)

• Upvote 10

People don't follow the rules here in Europe either.. i think the thing is that here at least, there were usually always pretty clear rules from the government etc and if people do not follow it, there's not THAT much that can be done. If the government just ignores the pandemic, that just makes the country look bad...

• Upvote 5

Where I am in Germany people are following the rules, even if they don’t like them. Germans strike me as more obedient to authority than most people though. Some of them will yell at you in public if you cross the street when the “don’t walk” sign is on. Coming from NYC that happened to me a lot at first. 

• Upvote 10

41 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Where I am in Germany people are following the rules, even if they don’t like them. Germans strike me as more obedient to authority than most people though. Some of them will yell at you in public if you cross the street when the “don’t walk” sign is on. Coming from NYC that happened to me a lot at first. 

Yeah, I think it is the same here. Most people follow it, let's say 80%, then there's 5 to 10 % who do not give a shit and feel invincible and the rest are generally following the rules, but tend to bend them whenever it fits them. And I think it is pretty safe to say that nobody reaaally likes the rules?

There was a ban on fireworks on new years eve pretty much everywhere, but where I live, it certainly didn't feel like it, fireworks were about as long as they usually are, and it actually felt like some people even increased it.

• Upvote 1

I like the rules because they save lives.  Here masks are required anywhere in the city center (even outdoors) and it’s very rare to see someone without one. Fireworks were also banned here on New Years and there weren’t any near us. I think in most of the country using them on NYE wasn’t actually banned though, just not recommended. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 2

They just had a superspreader event at their house for NYE. Hundreds and hundreds of people in their house.  From all over. No one masked. No one cared. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3

@lumpentheologie whereabouts in germany are you located? more towards the north or the south? From what I see from my friends and colleagues from work that live in Germany, the firework ban worked about as well there as it did in Austria

• Upvote 1

Not lumpentheologie, but I'm in Berlin, and there was a fair bit of noise here. Mind you, fireworks weren't actually forbidden, there was just a ban on selling them. I was kinda surprised that so many people still got their hands on the stuff - can't imagine it was all leftovers from last year. But who knows. I could do without fireworks altogether. Putting explosives into the hands of drunk partygoers has always seemed like the height of stupidity to me.

• Upvote 8

I have friends working in Berlin and they say Germans are less responsible than they are supposed to be. Lots of unmasked people, crowded places etc. I'm not there so I can't really say if it's true. But my conclusion after the pandemic is that many people (around the world) only follows rules if they are afraid of fines! Sad.

Here in Barcelona many people are getting it serious but it's not enough. Basically those who are spending a lonely, dull Christmas/new year eve because covid restriccions, are mad watching others at parties or travelling for pleasure.

• Upvote 1

@Melissa1977 yeah, i think thats all over the place..

My mum is very obsessed with checking the numbers, to a point where she checks the numbers twice daily in our region (we have numbers of every village available) and writes them down and then tells it everybody who wants to hear it, not just for our village, but also the 30 other in our district and some more where she knows somebody. she only writes down our village and the death toll, thankfully, but i find that very disturbing..

and then she runs around: theres one more than yesterday, how is there one more, there is a lock down.. and gets really irritated.. I've stopped looking at the numbers in my area long ago. I stay home as much as possible and do my part, i can't do anything about the idiots not doing that anyways, so why get all irritated about it?

and yeah @Nothing if not critical i could do without fireworks too. people are way too stupid around fireworks

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

@lumpentheologie whereabouts in germany are you located? more towards the north or the south? From what I see from my friends and colleagues from work that live in Germany, the firework ban worked about as well there as it did in Austria

I'm in the north, near Hamburg. Definitely a more orderly/respectable vibe than in Berlin and Leipzig, where I've lived in the past.

ETA: @Nothing if not critical, I heard from friends in Berlin that people were going to Poland to buy fireworks. (Another thing I think shouldn't be legal, since I couldn't even go to the hardware store three blocks away to buy lights for my Christmas tree.)  

And yeah, the fireworks in Berlin at New Year's terrify me. I've had groups of boys shoot them at me on the street from firework guns. And I really feel for the refugees with PTSD who must feel like they're back in a war zone. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

ETA: @Nothing if not critical, I heard from friends in Berlin that people were going to Poland to buy fireworks.

Yeah, they were going to do extra border controls before New Year's Eve to check for illegal fireworks (Polish fireworks don't conform to our legal safety standards anyway, I believe), but that was a last-minute decision and I guess most people who wanted to had already bought theirs *sigh*. I really don't understand why people have to be so irrational about this stuff.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic