IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 3: Working Towards Financial Independence

laPapessaGiovanna

My personal belief is that Harry wanted out as badly as Meghan did.  Whether he regrets it or not will probably depend on whether he can find something meaningful to do with himself going forward.  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5

It's hard to say if Harry will regret this if they divorced, as he was never going to be king since any future children his brother and SIL have will push him farther down the list. I think it was probably his decision all along as he saw how the tabloids pretty much killed his mother, and he was trying to protect his wife and the mother of his son. The thing I thought was ironic was that on the day of that meeting at Sandringham, my local PBS station showed the film "Charles III" which had a scene where the fictional Harry wanted to give up his royal title.

• Upvote 7

For whatever reason, this makes me sad.  I remember when Harry got married, William said "this will keep him out of my refrigerator"; the three of them were so close, and seemed to have such fun together.  I  hope that Harry and Meghan are totally content with each other and Archie, and that the love of family will allow them to at least come back for visits.  Harry and his grandmother have always had such a bond, I am hoping that holds tight.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Probably he will. He just signed away his birthright and really distanced himself from those who really loved him. Some bridges can’t just be burnt and Thano’s snapped back into place. 

He didn’t sign away shit. He is still part of the family, and if he wanted to return one day, he would be able to. The Queen removed his title but she can just as easily reestablish it. However, Harry has vocalized his desire to live a normal life for years, so I think he will be quite happy to drop the HRH for as long as he lives.

And he is still a part of the family who obviously love him. The BRF clearly have their issues, but you seem to forget they are real people. They have real relationships and connections that go beyond what the public will ever know, and it seems silly to think that they will all turn their backs on him after this, when they’ve all been so publicly supportive. But I guess I choose to believe statements that come directly from a person, rather than a magazine with a third quoted source. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

My personal belief is that Harry wanted out as badly as Meghan did.  Whether he regrets it or not will probably depend on whether he can find something meaningful to do with himself going forward.  

I agree. Harry may have lived his life imagining life outside of being a professional royal, but reality is going to be harder. If he can find something he is passionate about then he will find happiness. I imagine there will be a tough learning curve for him since he has lived his life in the royal bubble. Obviously he isn't being plunged into poverty or anything, but I do think this is what he wanted too. 

I hate this idea that he lost his family by choosing not to be royalty. If his family's love depended on him bowing to their whims and only being what they wanted him to be, then that wasn't real love, it was toxic love. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:51 PM, just_ordinary said:

If the BRF wants to survive, they need to put their foot down on several black sheep. Just because Andrew, the Duchesse of Kent and Fergie got away doesn’t mean this should continue this. Those three and Harry and Meghan should loose titles and every financial support. The first three because of their horrendous (Andrew, Kent) or stupid and shady behaviour (Fergie), the other two, to really be free for their own personal endeavours.

What horrendous thing did the Duchess of Kent do? I know she stepped away from royal duties but I thought it was because she struggled with being in the spotlight.

• Upvote 1

I do agree. Harry has shown signs for years that he wasn’t to happy with his role. But I do question if he really thought about the consequences. He falls soft. He is still privileged and rich and his family ties aren’t forgotten just because he doesn’t carry a HRH. He can still maintain a loving relationship with his family and he has wife and a son. But he will discover that he finds himself on the outs now and then. And it will sting. How successful he adapts will be depending if he finds something to be passionate about and how happy his marriage is in my opinion. That would put some pressure on their relationship but I totally see him being angry and resentful of they don’t work out. Even if he was the driving force.

All in all, I think those were wise decision. BP doesn’t look weak. And paying back for Frogmore seems fair. Interesting is that they are no longer working royals. This wasn’t part of Harry and Meghan’s declared intentions as their statement said, they would continue to do their duty to the Queen. Their website also said that they would undertake tours if requested. They wanted to step back and not give it up. It’s good that BP decided on a clean cut though. The Commonwealth Youth Ambassador poste is also be vacant now. They are still the head of the Trust. It’s also still unclear if they can use Sussex Royal. 

Allegedly they will still be funded by Charles but not through the Duchy but private money. Which is still a bit ridiculous. As if two grown up multi-millionaires cannot foot their own bill, and I am not talking security here. 

The „hard“ line will hopefully appease the critical British public. 
I wish them luck and happiness. Hopefully, when it all has come down, they can show the world what powerful sources they can be. 

• Upvote 6

Maybe being out of the circus is what he wanted. 

As a UK tax payer I am happy that the money will be repaid and I wish them well.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Topaz said:

What horrendous thing did the Duchess of Kent do? I know she stepped away from royal duties but I thought it was because she struggled with being in the spotlight.

I have actually no idea, in what capacity she still represents or not. But she has a history of stories that paint her at least with casual racism. If they are true, I don’t know. But she was photographed wearing a brooches that has a not deniable racist  motive. Making it worse, she wore it to a meeting where Meghan was present. I have no idea if Meghan has actually seen it then, as it was pinned on her coat.

The Queen should have given her and her husband a strong heart to heart talk to make sure this behaviour needs to stop, years ago. I think the Kent’s should have lost their title. He had to loose it too, so that she cannot wear it anymore I think. 
That was, what my comment was about. They all should loose any title the queen can remove. All and foremost for their behaviour, but also because they are a huge liability.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I have actually no idea, in what capacity she still represents or not. But she has a history of stories that paint her at least with casual racism. If they are true, I don’t know. But she was photographed wearing a brooches that has a not deniable racist  motive. Making it worse, she wore it to a meeting where Meghan was present. I have no idea if Meghan has actually seen it then, as it was pinned on her coat.

The Queen should have given her and her husband a strong heart to heart talk to make sure this behaviour needs to stop, years ago. I think the Kent’s should have lost their title. He had to loose it too, so that she cannot wear it anymore I think. 
That was, what my comment was about. They all should loose any title the queen can remove. All and foremost for their behaviour, but also because they are a huge liability.

Do you mean Pss Michael of Kent? She’s the one who wore the racist brooch to the Queen’s Christmas lunch the year before last. Her husband is Prince Michael of Kent. I don’t think they have stepped back from royal duties, they never had many to start with.

The Duchess of Kent is married to the Duke of Kent, Prince Michael’s older brother. He is still a working royal, she stepped back a long time ago, in the ‘90s maybe? She still turns up at the odd family thing like weddings but other than that she has lived a private life. She was a music teacher at one point although she may have retired by now. The only controversial thing I am aware of he doing is converting to Catholicism (at a point when no-one in line to the throne could be Catholic or marry one - as she was Protestant at the time of her marriage her conversion didn’t affect her husband’s, fairly distant, place in line). There could be other controversies that I’m not aware of but I don’t immediately associate her with racism.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

It was Princess Michael of Kent who wore the racist brooch, and she has a long history of atrocious behaviour.  As does her husband, younger brother of the Duke of Kent, a professional royalish drone.  The Queen should have cut those two off years ago but at least they now have to pay rent.  Disgraceful pair.

OTOH, The Duchess of Kent is Princess Michael's rather sweet SIL.  Self-styled "Katharine Kent" is married to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, the Queen's cousin.  She is something of a darling and he's not a drone.

Katharine Kent's "sins" are merely suffering from  serious depression, having a rocky spot in her marriage, and converting to Catholicism.  All of which were sorted out with the Queen (and by changes in the rules of Succession).  She still turns up for some royal occasions today.

Katharine Kent also set a precedent for "voluntarily" giving up the HRH, stepping back from royal duties, and getting a real job.  As a music teacher. :)  Perhaps Harry and Meghan can copy her and do something quite low-key as they seek to become financially independent.  Honest to goodness, from  a guy who inherited somewhere between 20 and 30 million that made me laugh.

What a Royal fuck-fest this whole thing has been.  Perhaps now we can all get back to the real news!  

Good for H & M for stepping back.  Being a Royal Panda isn't for everyone, but they made a right royal cock-up of the announcement.  I don't often feel sorry for the Queen.

I wish Harry and Meghan (and Archie) the best in their new endeavors but I won't be buying a Royal Sussex (TM) teapot any time soon.  Harry is now a remittance man because I'm sure Daddy and Granny will cover his little family's security, and he may not find it as easy as he thinks to be truly independent and live the privileged life he is accustomed to. 

They are apparently going to review the whole thing in  a year.  The door is still open for the Sussexes to crawl back if they find life too hard.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

What a Royal fuck-fest this whole thing has been.  Perhaps now we can all get back to the real news!  

Good for H & M for stepping back.  Being a Royal Panda isn't for everyone, but they made a right royal cock-up of the announcement.  I don't often feel sorry for the Queen.

I love your use of the phrases “royal fuck fest”, “Royal Panda” and “royal cock-up”. They are accurate and I hope they will be picked up by everyone who uses the English language.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I'm not going to be close to a computer for most of the day but later tonight I will find the interviews from before Harry even met Meghan saying he had seriously considered giving up being a royal altogether and the only thing holding him back was wanting to help his grandmother. Harry has been thinking about this for a long time. 

I was kind of hoping there would be a good resolution to Frogmore Costs, not using taxpayer money, etc. Also note how it says they've been having this conversation for MONTHS. Which confirmed what we already highly suspected - the Palace was not at all shocked by the news, they were shocked at when it was released. This is reassuring to know. 

I don't think H&M are all that bothered by having their HRH titles stripped away. I think they are probably upset at their duties and patronages being stripped. 

To be clear, Harry is and always will be Prince Harry. This is not a title (as far as I know) that CAN be taken away from him and right now, it hasn't. HRH vs Prince are two different things. Being a prince is a birthright. 

Will be back much later. 

• Upvote 6

A couple of thoughts...

Firstly, my guess is that once William becomes king, Harry and Meghan will resume at least some of their royal duties. By then, it’s likely William’s children won’t be full time working royals just yet and Harry and Meghan will have had time away from constant public scrutiny. Getting time to breathe a little after a lifetime of dealing with the British yellow press might help Harry a lot! So who knows what he is up to once his child/ren is/are older. With Archie being a baby, he seems to be feeling especially anxious. 

Regarding their future, I don’t think this is the last we’ll see of these two as royals. At the same time, I reckon their decision to forge their own path at this point in their lives is right for them. If I recall correctly, Harry worked in the military and even spent time in Afghanistan (or Iraq?) He at least has an idea of how life outside of palace walls might look like. 

Lastly, Harry’s always been popular with the public and I expect him to stay fairly well-liked once this issue blows over.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

If I remember correctly, he went to Afghanistan twice.  I think his tour was cut short the first time, because of chatter that he might be targeted by the bad guys, but he went again.  I may not be remembering correctly, though.  He seemed to be happy when he was with his military friends.

• Upvote 3

Slightly tongue-in-cheek article suggesting they should move to NZ.

Spoiler

OPINION: Harry and Meghan have announced they're stepping away from royal life, and though they might not have realised it yet, their new life has "New Zealand" written all over it. 

Without Lorde's 2013 hit Royals, who's to say we'd even be here? Sure, they haven't directly credited the Kiwi star with their major life decision but "That kind of luxe just ain't for us / We crave a different kind of buzz" – that's got to have provoked some soul-searching. 

We'll never be royals, indeed. 

The couple have said they'll split their time between the UK and Canada – but we all say things we don't mean when we're in the break-up stage of a relationship. Give it a bit of time and they'll see New Zealand is just the place for their next chapter. 

Their first consideration is no doubt baby Archie, but if they set up in Auckland the stars are aligned for him to be best mates with First Baby of New Zealand, Neve Te Aroha Ardern Gayford. 

Neve is just shy of a year older than Archie, the perfect age gap for her to lead him into mischief and teach him swear words to shock Grandma Liz. 

If the Sussexes play their cards right, Jacinda Ardern may even give them the Stephen Colbert treatment with an airport pick-up and Kiwi barbecue at hers. 

With filming for Amazon's Lord of the Rings TV series due to start in February, New Zealand also has excellent opportunities for Meghan's acting career. 

Casting calls have specifically asked for people who are very short or very tall to come forward, or for people with lots of wrinkles and missing teeth, but hopefully they'd make an exception for Meghan. 

They're also looking for extras with military experience, surely making Harry a shoe-in. This could also solve the problem of how they're going to make a living without royal pocket money to fall back on. 

Meghan and Harry also proved they're willing to get stuck into Kiwi life on their recent tour of Aotearoa. Harry impressed crowds in Rotorua with a speech in te reo and Meghan took out the top prize in a gumboot-throwing competition. 

Their final stop was at Redwoods Treewalk in Rotorua, where Harry told locals to "enjoy this heaven". If you can't be royals, living in heaven isn't a bad second option. How about it, guys? 

Look if they can already throw gumboots they should be a great fit there, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

Not sure if this is true but if they have money and want to live independently (as what, celebrities?) How is this living independently? Then again maybe that's how it works for the rich(?).  From Us magazine, "Harper’s Bazaar royal correspondent Omid ScobieOpens in a new Window. reported on Saturday, January 18, that the Prince of Wales, 71, will continue to fund the Sussexes operating costs from the Duchy of Cornwall private estate, which he owns..." 

I hope they can't monetize the royal name and I do wonder if they will find they are not as relevant without the royalty part and have to scramble to be heard above other celebs. (Not sure if I'm being clear here but also not sure how to word it). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Not sure if this is true but if they have money and want to live independently (as what, celebrities?) How is this living independently? Then again maybe that's how it works for the rich(?).  From Us magazine, "Harper’s Bazaar royal correspondent Omid ScobieOpens in a new Window. reported on Saturday, January 18, that the Prince of Wales, 71, will continue to fund the Sussexes operating costs from the Duchy of Cornwall private estate, which he owns..." 

Yeahhhhhh.....I think their definition of "financially independent" is different from us lowly commoners. ?

I think they've meant it as "not relying on taxpayer money" (other than security and now even that is not going to happen). Minor royals who are "independent" and have to pay rent at Kensington are pretty much funded by their parents too, their day jobs are pretty much just fun money. Even those not technically "royal" and in the outer circles rely on their old money. That's not changing and I don't think it will ever change. Prince Charles would never be mad enough to cut off Harry completely....Charles is the heir to a half-billion dollar "enterprise" and he only has two children. I don't think he'd even "allow" Harry to be fully independent even if Harry wanted it. And Harry would be an idiot for refusing it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

16 minutes ago, meep said:

Minor royals who are "independent" and have to pay rent at Kensington

I pay about the same rent one of Andrew's daughters pays for her apartment there.  A token amount to them, but my main living expense and definitely not insignificant to me.

Money just doesn't work the same with those people.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

Maybe I need to stop posting till I am over my cold and not constantly sleep deprived (molar teething sucks)

Take my „facts“ with a grain of salt as I keep getting things mixed up right now (Duchess/Prince Michael of Gloucster/Kent). Thanks to everyone that corrected it.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I do wonder if they will find they are not as relevant without the royalty part and have to scramble to be heard above other celebs. (Not sure if I'm being clear here but also not sure how to word it). 

Total speculation on my part, but maybe Harry and Meghan don’t want to be and feel extremely relevant every single day. Harry is one of the most famous people on earth, he and his brother are possibly the most well-known princes at this point in time, he’s Diana’s son, the Queen’s grandson, the son and brother of two future kings and the uncle of another. “Everyone” knows him. “Everyone” will know him for the rest of his life. 

This means he isn’t like other celebrities. He doesn’t need to make a new movie or publish a new song, he’s always been “relevant” simply by being and doing nothing else than existing as Prince Harry. I’m convinced this will never change for him. If the British monarchy ended tomorrow, people of our generation would still be aware of who he is. He’d never be not famous.

My point is, maybe Harry’s  planning to support causes he likes, go to the occasional public event, have speeches here and there and enjoy not being in the spotlight as much as he has been in the past. Maybe he hopes he can go to a playground with Archie and take his wife to the hospital without having to announce she’s in labor beforehand (should they have more children). 

Fame and wealth might be aspects he doesn’t really plan to increase at the moment. 

• Upvote 7

56 minutes ago, bird said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/19/there-is-a-reason-why-royals-demonised-but-wont-read-all-about-it-prince-harry-meghan-markle

I think this article is worth a read. It sheds an interesting light on the media coverage of the royals. 

Rupert Murdoch is trash

• I Agree 7

I am wondering a few things:

1. If Harry supposedly have millions from his mom, why is he still dépendant on his dad for 95% of his income?

2. As a non American Harry can only stay 6months in North America. I wonder if they will travelling back and forth. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Rupert Murdoch is trash

So is Piers Morgan. And Rebekah Brooks. 

Edited by bird
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic