IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 6: So Boring I Couldn't Find a Funny Quote

HerNameIsBuffy

I agree that Erin always looked older than her actual age (and Michaela too), but Josie still looks like a teenager for me. Alyssa also looks younger than she is. Only Tori seems to look like her age at least IMHO.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

I agree that Erin always looked older than her actual age (and Michaela too), but Josie still looks like a teenager for me. Alyssa also looks younger than she is. Only Tori seems to look like her age at least IMHO.

I agree with your statement, except Alyssa. She really looks young with soft make up and jeans, but when she dresses smart, sometimes looks like a thirty-something.

• Upvote 8

In all fairness I didn't have a baby until I was 32, knew A LOT of people who had miscarriages or fertility issues (including one friend with a stillborn), and knew 100% how common they were, but still never really considered it would happen to me.....until it did. Let's just say I did not process it well, especially the first time, because for me it was an Ectopic Pregnancy not even just a standard miscarriage. It was incredibly traumatic after trying for quite a while so I can't fault anyone, regardless of age/religion/etc on how they process loss. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 16

On 9/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I agree with your statement, except Alyssa. She really looks young with soft make up and jeans, but when she dresses smart, sometimes looks like a thirty-something.

I also think she looks older close up, and without full face makeup. Or maybe she just looks really tired. Without all the makeup she really looks like Kelly.  Some of those ladies must spend a great deal of time doing their makeup.

• Upvote 3

Josie posted a picture on her instagram of Willow cuddling a kitten, saying how cute it is and if she should get Willow a kitten now or when she's a bit older.
The amount of moronic animal abusers commenting how she should definitely have the cat declawed because otherwise it will damage her furniture or possibly scratch her kids is TOO DAMN HIGH. How tf is declawing even legal in the US? 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 3
  • Love 2

Declawing???? That breaks my heart. I have to admit that our 6 months old kittens have been really rough to our walls and furniture the last few weeks and it is kind of annoying. But we knew things like that would happen when we got them. We are now in the process of getting them vaccinated and neutered and I hope once they are allowed to roam outside there will be less destruction in our house. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

It's always a bad sign when someone talks about getting an animal for their children and not for themselves. Animals are not toys but a commitment you make for as long as they live, and parents who get a cute kitten or puppy for their kids often don't think about the fact that they not only stay little for a very short time, but also that they can live to be quite old, cats especially. Josie shouldn't get her one-year-old daughter any animal, but if she and Kelton want a cat themselves that they're willing to take care of for the next 20 years they can of course go ahead and get one that their daughter can enjoy as well. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 19

2 hours ago, BookwormExtraordinaire said:

It's always a bad sign when someone talks about getting an animal for their children and not for themselves. Animals are not toys but a commitment you make for as long as they live, and parents who get a cute kitten or puppy for their kids often don't think about the fact that they not only stay little for a very short time, but also that they can live to be quite old, cats especially. Josie shouldn't get her one-year-old daughter any animal, but if she and Kelton want a cat themselves that they're willing to take care of for the next 20 years they can of course go ahead and get one that their daughter can enjoy as well. 

Well said. I never thought of looking at it like that. I have heard many people looking to get a dog for their kid. My four and half year old asks all the time. I’m not ready for the commitment yet so she is not getting one. I just wish my cat liked her and then she might not want a dog so badly. I love both cats and dogs. But cats just suit my lifestyle better. 

• Upvote 10

Animals should not be a dscision taken lightly. They require a ton of commitment, resources, and emotional work.

I have 3 dogs over age 10 and there a several months per year now where their veterinary costs are more than our mortgage.

Declawing is awful. If anyone is considering it, please do not do it. They do not remove only the claws but part of the digit down to the first knuckle. This also leaves a cat defenseless.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

If they do get one, they should get a cat and not a kitten. If they want a declawed one, get one from the shelter!!! There are always declawed cats that need homes (indoors only, as they can't defend themselves outside.)

• Upvote 11

10 hours ago, ophelia said:

Declawing???? That breaks my heart. I have to admit that our 6 months old kittens have been really rough to our walls and furniture the last few weeks and it is kind of annoying. But we knew things like that would happen when we got them. We are now in the process of getting them vaccinated and neutered and I hope once they are allowed to roam outside there will be less destruction in our house. 

I'm saying this in a nonjudgmental and gentle way, but you should absolutely look into how dangerous it is to let domestic house cats outside is, if you haven't before. They're much more likely to get injured, sick, stolen, or assumed stray (and depending on your area, that might land them in a kill shelter). Cats are also terrible for the environment when allowed to roam free. I used to volunteer in shelter/rescue and I saw/heard a lot of stuff about outdoor cats that is hard to forget. You can create indoor spaces that are just as engaging and enriching for cats, and if you have the space, catios are a great way to allow your cats to enjoy the outdoors without being at risk. Many cats can also learn to enjoy leashed outdoors time. 

If you do decide to allow your cats outdoors, make sure you have them microchipped in addition to vaccinated and neutered.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 4

Declawing a cat is animal abuse!  There are alternatives: trimming claws, claw caps (non-toxic if eaten), scratching posts, attaching scratch pads, or aluminum foil to furniture.  All of which are less expensive than declawing.  I try to keep my feline headships claws trimmed, and I use scratching posts and pads.  Eli is strictly an indoor cat.  He once got outside after it had rained.  He came running back inside after getting his paws wet.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Declawing a cat is animal abuse!  There are alternatives: trimming claws, claw caps (non-toxic if eaten), scratching posts, attaching scratch pads, or aluminum foil to furniture.  All of which are less expensive than declawing.  I try to keep my feline headships claws trimmed, and I use scratching posts and pads.  Eli is strictly an indoor cat.  He once got outside after it had rained.  He came running back inside after getting his paws wet.

My cat likes to bother me until I take him outside in the rain (he's leash trained) and then scream at me because he is getting wet. 

But don't take him back in! Just make him stop being wet. But outside!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

Carlin and Whitney both commented "Do it!" ?

Don't get your toddler a cat because she'll look cute for photos while playing with it. Jesus.

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 2

6 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm saying this in a nonjudgmental and gentle way, but you should absolutely look into how dangerous it is to let domestic house cats outside is, if you haven't before. They're much more likely to get injured, sick, stolen, or assumed stray (and depending on your area, that might land them in a kill shelter). Cats are also terrible for the environment when allowed to roam free. I used to volunteer in shelter/rescue and I saw/heard a lot of stuff about outdoor cats that is hard to forget. You can create indoor spaces that are just as engaging and enriching for cats, and if you have the space, catios are a great way to allow your cats to enjoy the outdoors without being at risk. Many cats can also learn to enjoy leashed outdoors time. 

If you do decide to allow your cats outdoors, make sure you have them microchipped in addition to vaccinated and neutered.

For us it's a quality of life vs. quantity of life thing. They're allowed outside when we're home and until it gets dark. One of our cats is a declawed rescue and she stays on our porch, but we still don't prohibit her from going outside.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

For us it's a quality of life vs. quantity of life thing. They're allowed outside when we're home and until it gets dark. One of our cats is a declawed rescue and she stays on our porch, but we still don't prohibit her from going outside.

If you live in the Americas or Oceania, cats are an invasive species and have actually helped lead to the endangerment of a large number of bird and reptile species that don't have any natural defenses against cats.  These species still haven't developed avoidance strategies to avoid becoming prey.  Cats also kill for enjoyment and not just to eat.  So often they won't eat the prey they catch or limit hunting to when they're hungry.  Most cats are also able to learn how to walk without ringing bells on their collars, so even that solution doesn't really work.  Growing up I had outdoor cats and they do love it, but it's not worth the decimation of the wildlife population.  This is also an area of research that gets very little public attention, so it makes sense most cat owners aren't aware of this.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

If you live in the Americas or Oceania, cats are an invasive species and have actually helped lead to the endangerment of a large number of bird and reptile species that don't have any natural defenses against cats.  These species still haven't developed avoidance strategies to avoid becoming prey.  Cats also kill for enjoyment and not just to eat.  So often they won't eat the prey they catch or limit hunting to when they're hungry.  Most cats are also able to learn how to walk without ringing bells on their collars, so even that solution doesn't really work.  Growing up I had outdoor cats and they do love it, but it's not worth the decimation of the wildlife population.  This is also an area of research that gets very little public attention, so it makes sense most cat owners aren't aware of this.

Oh we're aware of it, but we're not vegans nor do we abstain from leather or any other animal product, and so... We keep an eye on our cats, and one in particular is a great mouser (we've had problems in the past) so the circle of life is what it is.

My grandma's cat was got by a hawk and that is what it is too. RIP Tigger.

• Downvote 13
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

If I could love this post more than once, I would. I don’t understand why some people insist cats have to be free outside to have a good quality of life. 

3 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

Also a great, informative post. Thank you!

4 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

My MIL had a sweet, loving male cat who had been declawed before she got him. He was snatched off her porch right in front of her by a dog who got loose. The cat was injured fatally, and had to be euthanized. It was horrible and the cat didn’t deserve that. Totally preventable, by not allowing the cat outside!

• Upvote 9

I have never heard of declawing cats. That is horrible and I am actually shocked this exists and people openly talk about it. It sounds as if it should definitely be illegal. If you don’t want to deal with claws get a different pet like a fish or so.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The idea that cats don’t have a comparable quality of life inside is an absolute myth hence why I said you can create an equally engaging indoor space. It isn’t even hard. Cats are domesticated pets and IMO don’t belong outside unsupervised any more than most people let their dogs roam around freely.  I don’t believe a cats quality of life is improved by being exposed to extremes in temperatures, predators, poison, people who harm animals, and the possibility of getting lost either. These things happen to outdoor pets all the time, and I am going to avoid the specific, graphic stories of pain I’m aware of, but I do think all cat owners should at least grapple with this issue before they decide to allow a cat outdoors. I know it is often a cultural belief that cats are more wild, but they aren’t inherently so. Again I’m trying to say this as gently as possible because I’m sure you, like most pet owners, try to do what’s right for pets you love and care about, but I simply don’t believe you’re increasing your cats quality of life the way you think you are. 

but again (this is to OOP about cats and to anyone reading, not to you specifically!) if you do feel that the way to go is allowing your cats outdoors, make sure they’re microchipped. Any vet or shelter they’re brought to will check that first and it can save a lot of time and heartache on all sides, sometimes even the cats life!

11 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

This is also true! Cats are invasive in many places and they are *very bad* for the environment even in places they are native, due to their proliferation through domestication. 

Wait never mind I just noticed that you don’t think it’s a big deal if your cat is eaten by a predator and you think you have to be vegan to care about the environment so... that’s not good. 

Edited by OrchidBlossom
Added everything after wait never mind
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, snickerz said:

If they do get one, they should get a cat and not a kitten. If they want a declawed one, get one from the shelter!!! There are always declawed cats that need homes (indoors only, as they can't defend themselves outside.)

There most certainly are!  Our first shelter adopted cat was a declawed chocolate tortie.  Strangely, whoever declawed her did a botched job because a few years after adopting her, her claws slowly began growing back!  They were very fine and weak, but they were there.  Our veterinarian confirmed it and asked me if I would like to finish off what her prior owner did.  I politely declined, stating that I wasn't putting her through any needless trauma.  And as affectionate as she was, she obviously remembered the pain with declawing because she wouldn't let anyone touch her front paws.    

We adopted her in August 2006 at age 3 and she went to the Rainbow Bridge due to cancer at age 14 in June 2017.   I considered her not just a pet but my friend-she was extremely intuitive and intelligent.  I still miss her terribly.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 16

No hate please. When I was 3.5 my mom adopted a newborn kitten. Her name was Angel. The thing to do at the time was to declaw them so that’s what my mom did. She was an indoor cat that sometimes went on the porch when we were outside with her. She lived to be 21. Knowing what I know now I would not declaw a cat if I ever got one.

• Upvote 9

41 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

No hate please. When I was 3.5 my mom adopted a newborn kitten. Her name was Angel. The thing to do at the time was to declaw them so that’s what my mom did. She was an indoor cat that sometimes went on the porch when we were outside with her. She lived to be 21. Knowing what I know now I would not declaw a cat if I ever got one.

I don't think anyone should get hate for doing what they know if they don't have the proper information! It was more common back a while ago, and people didn't realize how dangerous and painful it was. You've seen new information and changed accordingly! That's to be admired, not hated on. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

If you live in the Americas or Oceania, cats are an invasive species and have actually helped lead to the endangerment of a large number of bird and reptile species that don't have any natural defenses against cats.  

Another reason why my feline headship is a indoor only cat.  Not only will he be safe, but the native wildlife will have one less predator.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I don't think anyone should get hate for doing what they know if they don't have the proper information! It was more common back a while ago, and people didn't realize how dangerous and painful it was. You've seen new information and changed accordingly! That's to be admired, not hated on. 

*cough* circumcision *cough*... 

*ducks*

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic