IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 6: So Boring I Couldn't Find a Funny Quote

HerNameIsBuffy

10 hours ago, Alysabeth said:

I agree. My little boy is seven months old and my theory is that given he doesn’t currently know that a chocolate biscuit tastes better than a stick of cucumber, why would I give him the one that’s full of sugar!? 

I have recently given my son the very occasional ice lolly when he’s been teething but I make my own by freezing a small amount of yoghurt and/or homemade fruit purée. 

I used to give Wychling frozen mini bagels when she was teething.  It’s funny- I have a niece 2 yrs older than my kid whose mother (my sister) would never let her have candy.   Of course, that just made her want it all the more.  Now, I didn’t forbid the stuff, and Wychling didn’t have that forbidden allure connected to candy (rarely eats it still).  She doesn’t seem to have a sweet tooth at all

Edited by Granwych
Thought of something
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Part of me likes Josie. Then the other part feels like she's a robot. I'm not saying she's nasty or selfish, but kinda fake. Like even her speeches when she's doing giveaways sound so fake and preacherlike that they make my stomach hurt. Most if Gil and Kelly's kids are just clones of them, spouting off that same tired, fake religious talk. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, KeepUnsweet said:

Part of me likes Josie. Then the other part feels like she's a robot. I'm not saying she's nasty or selfish, but kinda fake. Like even her speeches when she's doing giveaways sound so fake and preacherlike that they make my stomach hurt. Most if Gil and Kelly's kids are just clones of them, spouting off that same tired, fake religious talk. 

I kinda like Alyssa and Josie, just because I'm a quiet person myself and they were introverts in noisy, megacrowded house. Must have been a nightmare. Also they have done some changes (clothes, working after wedding, talk about limiting family size...) which does not make them less fundie, but may help to make their lives better.

This said, I think Josie sounds fake because she does not like being on camera. She also seems robotic to me. And I have the feeling (but it can be just my imagination) that she look less and less happy, and more and more tired, since her wedding. May be the exhausting motherhood or having to meet Kelton's needs. But it's like she has aged in just 1 year and a half.

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I kinda like Alyssa and Josie, just because I'm a quiet person myself and they were introverts in noisy, megacrowded house. Must have been a nightmare. Also they have done some changes (clothes, working after wedding, talk about limiting family size...) which does not make them less fundie, but may help to make their lives better.

This said, I think Josie sounds fake because she does not like being on camera. She also seems robotic to me. And I have the feeling (but it can be just my imagination) that she look less and less happy, and more and more tired, since her wedding. May be the exhausting motherhood or having to meet Kelton's needs. But it's like she has aged in just 1 year and a half.

Could also be an SOTDRT issue; if she's not a good reader, she might not truly be processing what she's saying and thus is unable to inflect the meanings as a better reader would.

She also might not think of practicing a few times aloud to get the inflection right; how much non-bible elocution do you think Kelly had them do?

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1

On 4/15/2020 at 10:03 AM, Melissa1977 said:

She has gotten really thin. She was always petite, but in a healthy way. Now she's looking frail. To be fair, she had to adjust to married life while bring pregnant, then with a newborn and then a new business venture just as a pandemic closed down the society... And all the while having yo perform for the camera. So maybe some financial issues as well. I would have looked tired too, I think. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Thorns said:

She has gotten really thin. She was always petite, but in a healthy way. Now she's looking frail. To be fair, she had to adjust to married life while bring pregnant, then with a newborn and then a new business venture just as a pandemic closed down the society... And all the while having yo perform for the camera. So maybe some financial issues as well. I would have looked tired too, I think. 

I was actually thinking the same thing. She is looking frail. She always had a wonderful figure. (I envied it). Now she is getting the lollipop head look. 
Hopefully her weight just ebbs and flows and no health concerns are the reason.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

She is also breastfeeding Willow. I lost weight when I was BF my son and then gained it back once we stopped.

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

She is also breastfeeding Willow. I lost weight when I was BF my son and then gained it back once we stopped.

She said in IG that she is in a diet. Called it "eating clean" but she did with the purpose of losing weight. Willow was very little when she said that. I'm not sure she breastfeeds, but it's not a good idea to follow a diet when breastfeeding, especially for an already thin woman.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I'm a nutrition nut (not in terms of eating, but just in terms of wanting to know my dietary needs and what I should be getting nutritionally) and breastfeeding is insane.

People think they need to eat a ton while pregnant, but hoooo no, pregnancy only adds 450 a day to your diet. I know women that have done EBF and needed 1000 extra calories a day by the end of it, even only going until their baby is a year old.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Oh yeah. I didn’t think of that

• Upvote 3

Disclaimer: NOT STARTING RUMORS

HOWEVER, a lot of times "eating clean" is code for an eating disorder. It's one of the first things they teach you when you learn about eating disorders in psychology. 

Josie is looking very very skinny tho. Very bubble-head.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I would think (or assume) with the lack of control these women have over their lives that how much/ what they eat becomes a big source of control for them. Maybe Josie is feeling the stress of new motherhood/ new marriage/ a pandemic and is doubling down on control. Total speculation, of course. Could just be that “clean eating” diet. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Can we not armchair diagnose people with eating disorders based on one phrase?  

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

On 4/14/2020 at 10:25 PM, KeepUnsweet said:

I think that one part of the isolation that Josie and the other Bates and Duggar girls have endured growing up has made them all a bit off when it comes to their adult being. The Bates girls go from knowing only their sisters and vaguely a few people they see at church once a week to Crown to being married. Most young adults start out trying emulate the people they have seen growing up. 

For example, in my home growing up my parents and others weren't demonstrative at all. I dated a guy in college who was always wanting to hold hands, pull out my chair, open the door, etc. It freaked me out. He told me he loved me and I asked him why. I realize now that I never had that sort of thing modeled for me as a child growing up except on television. So I was confused as to how to be that person at first. 

I say that to say that Josie and the others are quite stunted in a lot of ways. They are trying to figure out how to be that person they are thinking they want or are supposed to be overall. Josie seems to want to be like Alyssa. However, she's not seen Alyssa consistently as an adult. She has friends now from college or church, but these are recent additions. So when I see her I see someone trying to mimic what she sees online and how she thinks she is supposed to act. 

I see it with the others too, but with Josie that seems to be her norm at the moment. I would like to think it is because she is not wanting to be a carbon copy of the ATI/IBLP wife and mother. Only time will tell.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Can we not armchair diagnose people with eating disorders based on one phrase?  

Thank you!

I’ve just been reading the Jinger thread, where there has been a discussion about not judging or commenting on women’s bodies.

I think the comments here are just as bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I am not going to speculate on Josie and if she personally has an eating disorder. However, I would not be surprised if any of the Bates girls or Duggar girls have gone through an eating disorder at some point in their lives. That's not to say any of them have. They could all be perfectly healthy girls. Yet, these girls have spent their whole lives (or most of their lives in terms of the Bates) on TV, and now as adults as influencers online. Having your body on TV and online constantly viewed and commented on could make even the thinnest of woman want to diet or worse.

This is why I truly wish these people would just stop. Just be normal human beings. It would have to take a strong person to always listen to people comment on their body. I know I couldn't do it. I truly hope the girls are healthy though.

• Upvote 15

Intake control is the one form of control that adults, particularly woman living in these patriarchal circumstances,  can exert. I was raised by a lady who felt limited  control over her choices in life and she has always strictly controlled her intake. 

• Upvote 12

Kelton's instagram post to Josie yesterday made me see red. I think this is one of the most obviously condescending things he's ever said. If my husband ever said that I was such a "hardworking little scientist but more importantly a good mama" I don't know if our marriage would survive. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Kelton's instagram post to Josie yesterday made me see red. I think this is one of the most obviously condescending things he's ever said. If my husband ever said that I was such a "hardworking little scientist but more importantly a good mama" I don't know if our marriage would survive. 

The "little" is condescending to me, but more importantly an incredible mama isn't.

I've always considered being a good mother the most important thing in my life.  My children didn't ask to be born so being there for them is the most important thing I'll ever do.  If I screw that up, nothing else matters.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The "little" is condescending to me, but more importantly an incredible mama isn't.

I've always considered being a good mother the most important thing in my life.  My children didn't ask to be born so being there for them is the most important thing I'll ever do.  If I screw that up, nothing else matters.

I think putting unequal weight on these two things is in this case unnecessary and suspect. We know they believe that women should do nothing else but be a wife and mother. And if they do do anything else, it is not acceptable for that thing to interfere with your roles as wife and mother. Josie hasn’t said being a mother is what’s more important to her, and I wouldn’t necessarily trust her if she did say that, given the cult indoctrination. Regardless of the meaning and intention, it’s also just unnecessary to say here. Why not say she’s also a good mother? Or leave out motherhood entirely if this is a post focused on her work? And the “little” entrepreneur comment makes me ?

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, neurogirl said:

And yet it is an improvement on the fundie “men” who won’t “allow” their wives to work or won’t acknowledge that their job IS work. Them bars be low!

Edited by Mrs Ms
Walk and work are different things...
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

And yet it is an improvement on the fundie “men” who won’t “allow” their wives to work or won’t acknowledge that their job IS work. Them bars be low!

A lot of fundie.women have "little" business. Zsu had her swimwear, Bates sisters have the boutique and had other jobs in the past, Teri Maxwell wrote books to be sold. Jill and eleventy others sell Plexus, oils, etc.

Kelton is not better, neither an exception.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Johannah said:

I think putting unequal weight on these two things is in this case unnecessary and suspect.

Mileage varies.  I think there is unequal weight on those things the second you have a child.  The same way I think it's more important for Kelton to be a great father than a great plumber.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

@HerNameIsBuffy Normally I would agree with you, and I think for "normal people" you are absolutely right. In combination with the "little entrepreneur" and the fact that they are fundies it rubbed me the wrong way, as if to say "well she's trying this business thing, how cute, but it won't keep her from doing 100% of the childcare."

We know the Bates women put their dreams on hold consistently to be "a wife and mother" as if you can't do that with dreams intact. See Erin, Michaela (until she didn't have a child), Katie, and I would include Josie in that as she was clearly happy working at the salon and there's no reason in any normal world she couldn't have gone back to work post Willow's birth. 

Kelton's post seemed like he was just putting that out there as a given, which for them it IS, but how very sad.

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 17

• 1 month later...

Came across Josie’s Effortless Beauty YouTube channel and can’t help but wonder if she commented on her own video not realizing her name would come up, or some leg humper changed their screen name to Josie Balka. ?

Funny either way.

7DABC192-5505-4F65-B0C2-EA019622E78D.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic