IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 6: So Boring I Couldn't Find a Funny Quote

HerNameIsBuffy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'll say something controversial. I really really hate Josies aesthetic. It's nice on a grown person. It's def overdone on Instagram. Every IG clothing model has a closet of beige sweaters and white t shirts. It's not exciting to look at. But her kid is dressed so boring. Even the poor childs toys are colorless. The floor mat thing she has is wooden and beige. It's just bad. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Ok I'll say something controversial. I really really hate Josies aesthetic. It's nice on a grown person. It's def overdone on Instagram. Every IG clothing model has a closet of beige sweaters and white t shirts. It's not exciting to look at. But her kid is dressed so boring. Even the poor childs toys are colorless. The floor mat thing she has is wooden and beige. It's just bad. 

I agree. So dull and drab. I want to see  some color in their clothes and decorations. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelton hates it, but he's so happy that he finally bagged the girl he was always obsessed with, so he just rolls with it.

• Upvote 6

I don’t mind the clothes, it’s everything else that seems so dismal. That Christmas tree, holy shit. 

• Upvote 7

I think drab is the new it/hip thing. It is every where! I hate the pepto pink and huge bows on little girls, but the utilitarian look is not much better. Beige, olive green, orange and blush...so overdone!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think drab is the new it/hip thing. It is every where! I hate the pepto pink and huge bows on little girls, but the utilitarian look is not much better. Beige, olive green, orange and blush...so overdone!

I think it's because I don't like that color pallet . I'm not a fan of beige or orange or blush. Also I love olive green. Wore olive greet shorts last night with combat boots lol This kid needs red blue green purple toys in her life. She needs a floor mat that looks like a zoo exploded. Not 3 sticks glued together with white mesh and called a toy.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I love color. But I also love white and bright. So if I could do something about Josie’s house, I would add some bright accent colors. The throw pillows and lap blankets would have some color. I love the color green so it would probably be a bold emerald green. 

• Upvote 5

I understand snarking about Jill Rodrigues house and outfits, but Josie's? She so normal. Her only ugly accessory is Kelton.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 23

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I understand snarking about Jill Rodrigues house and outfits, but Josie's? She so normal. Her only ugly accessory is Kelton.

Maybe he’s realllllly nice, LOL!

• Upvote 3

On 1/12/2020 at 2:19 PM, OyToTheVey said:

I think it's because I don't like that color pallet . I'm not a fan of beige or orange or blush. Also I love olive green. Wore olive greet shorts last night with combat boots lol This kid needs red blue green purple toys in her life. She needs a floor mat that looks like a zoo exploded. Not 3 sticks glued together with white mesh and called a toy.

I do get personal preference and therefore disliking the style.

But Willow won’t have any disadvantages because her surroundings or toys aren’t colourful. If she develops within the normal ranges she will be perfectly fine. If she has some areas where her parents should try to motivate her, colours can obviously help to hold her attention and make it more interesting. 
Colours are fun but that’s about it at her age. And Willow spends time with others and outside- it’s not as if she isn’t confronted with colour.
I am pretty sure as soon as the Boho, all natural look starts to get dated Josie will jump on another train. Maybe then we will bitch about clashing colours and the visual overload that drives poor Willow crazy. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I do get personal preference and therefore disliking the style.

But Willow won’t have any disadvantages because her surroundings or toys aren’t colourful. If she develops within the normal ranges she will be perfectly fine. If she has some areas where her parents should try to motivate her, colours can obviously help to hold her attention and make it more interesting. 
Colours are fun but that’s about it at her age. And Willow spends time with others and outside- it’s not as if she isn’t confronted with colour.
I am pretty sure as soon as the Boho, all natural look starts to get dated Josie will jump on another train. Maybe then we will bitch about clashing colours and the visual overload that drives poor Willow crazy. 

Yep. Despite trying to act 10Years older, Josie is only 20...there will undoubtedly be many more stages and fads to come. Frankly,  I prefer Josie’s current choice to Abbie H. From M is for Mama with all her bright colors and contrasting patterns. 
 I truly hate that d/t such limited life choices, it seems that many of the Bates girls present as so much older than their actual chronological ages. I have to remind myself that Josie is only 20, Alyssa 25 and Erin 28. I could easily mistake them for being 25, 28 and 35! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

But Willow won’t have any disadvantages because her surroundings or toys aren’t colourful

Exactly! Colorful rooms, clothes and toys were just non existent for the majority of people until 100 years ago. Only rich people had coloured items and only rich kids had toys. A baby happiness or development is no related to bright colours. There's a Waldorf school near my home where toys are made from natural wood and classrooms are mostly white. While it's not my cup of tea, I don't see the problem with dullness in decoration.

• Upvote 7

If Willow needs color she can visit her Webster girl cousins in Florida--I think their room(s) look like a pink glitter unicorn explosion cleanup site.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, HereticHick said:

If Willow needs color she can visit her Webster girl cousins in Florida--I think their room(s) look like a pink glitter unicorn explosion cleanup site.

Or have Erin design another one of these...

Screenshot_20200116-000317_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 12
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

Ahhh, Erin's pink bedroom. The fulfillment of all her childhood longings. Gone but not forgotten!

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Ahhh, Erin's pink bedroom. The fulfillment of all her childhood longings. Gone but not forgotten!

I hate the pink bedroom but I found so sweet that she could have it. It may look ridiculous for an adult room, but I understand Erin was once a little girly girl in a miserable home. Having the pink room could have been kind of therapy for her.

In the future, Brooklyn will do the same. After 20 years sharing a tiny-tidy bedroom with 12 siblings, she will show a big messy room for herself alone. With uncoordinated pillows. And sci-fi pictures. And dusty shelves with Naomi Klein books on.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 7

It's not even a fundie thing tbh. I wasn't allowed to have posters in my room. Even to this day I have trouble putting anything on my walls. I have a stack of frames I bought for a collage, they've been on my desk, pictureless, for months because I can't bring myself to pick out pictures to put in them and hang them up. I don't blame Erin for her pink room. It really is like therapy.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

That's where the Chad love started. Most of us have moved past that pink bedroom stage, and we were shocked to see that he was okay with something so feminine.

Most, not all, men, wouldn't be cool with that as their marital bed. Most, not all, women who have that level of "girly" taste would tone it down a bit without pause. Martial decorating compromise 101.

In retrospect it's likely that Chad didn't care where he was getting laid. The start of a path to the man's doom.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, Melissa1977 said:

Exactly! Colorful rooms, clothes and toys were just non existent for the majority of people until 100 years ago. Only rich people had coloured items and only rich kids had toys. A baby happiness or development is no related to bright colours. There's a Waldorf school near my home where toys are made from natural wood and classrooms are mostly white. While it's not my cup of tea, I don't see the problem with dullness in decoration.

The Waldorf aesthetic can be visually appealing to lots of people (myself included), but actually it's based in some pretty wacky cult beliefs, such as the kids not having souls until age 7, and the belief that the colour crayons (etc) that they are around will affect their soul's development as colours have spiritual values. Steiner/Waldorf is pretty fucking nuts, under the surface, even if some of the outcomes (such as learning to read later) happen to match with what modern educational research is telling us. 

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, bal maiden said:

The Waldorf aesthetic can be visually appealing to lots of people (myself included), but actually it's based in some pretty wacky cult beliefs, such as the kids not having souls until age 7, and the belief that the colour crayons (etc) that they are around will affect their soul's development as colours have spiritual values. Steiner/Waldorf is pretty fucking nuts, under the surface, even if some of the outcomes (such as learning to read later) happen to match with what modern educational research is telling us. 

Very true. If someone considers a Waldorf nursery/school I can only advise to have a pretty close look how they realise the Waldorf curriculum and beliefs. There are big differences. Some are great because they were able to drop  many harmful beliefs and just use the techniques. But it’s important to know exactly what the original Waldorf concept contained to make an educated assessment and ask the right questions.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Oh yes, I know! I'm pretty traditional about education, so I never would choose that school. It's also extremely expensive! But what I meant is that the lack of colour is not important, and milions of children have grown without colorful items in different societies and it's not a problem.

@just_ordinary that school in my town is more pinteresty-waldorf that hardcore-waldorf. I think most parents would be scared of authentic Waldorf philosophy. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Steiner/Waldorf is pretty fucking nuts, under the surface, even if some of the outcomes (such as learning to read later) happen to match with what modern educational research is telling us. 

My heart sunk when I read this. I have a former best friend who has used becoming a SAHM to basically ironclad her echo chamber and give free reign to all of her previous "quirky" tendencies. 

She brags about her sons (4 and 7 years old) never sleeping a night of their lives outside of her own bed. She claims her eldest son, like her, has "hyper sensitivity syndrome" (self-diagnosed) and therefore can not be disciplined. She let him (age 7) not get his latest vaccinations because of this. 

Long rant short, despite getting free tuition to a top-ranked Episcopal school because of her husband's job, she is now sending her sons to a Waldorf school. I didn't know anything about it, but the aesthetic snob in me did like how pretty the classrooms were. Do you guys have any sources for me to read about Waldorf wackiness?

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

My heart sunk when I read this. I have a former best friend who has used becoming a SAHM to basically ironclad her echo chamber and give free reign to all of her previous "quirky" tendencies. 

She brags about her sons (4 and 7 years old) never sleeping a night of their lives outside of her own bed. She claims her eldest son, like her, has "hyper sensitivity syndrome" (self-diagnosed) and therefore can not be disciplined. She let him (age 7) not get his latest vaccinations because of this. 

Long rant short, despite getting free tuition to a top-ranked Episcopal school because of her husband's job, she is now sending her sons to a Waldorf school. I didn't know anything about it, but the aesthetic snob in me did like how pretty the classrooms were. Do you guys have any sources for me to read about Waldorf wackiness?

If you read the Wikipedia Page you find some points mentioned at the end of the paragraph RECEPTION. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Do you guys have any sources for me to read about Waldorf wackiness?

In my country all the schools must be accredited, so Waldorf students learn quite the same than the regular students, while using different methods or starting reading later. The first academic years are *speshul* but they have to meet the standards sooner or later.

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic