IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 6: So Boring I Couldn't Find a Funny Quote

HerNameIsBuffy

I know someone working as a wedding make up artist, she has a young child, whom she watches during the week, when she is working at weddings during the weekend, her husband is at home to take care of the child. Maybe something like that could work for Josie. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I poked around Josie and her business partner Grace’s new website and I appreciate that there is no mention in Josie’s bio of her famous family or TV show. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, onyourwayhome said:

I poked around Josie and her business partner Grace’s new website and I appreciate that there is no mention in Josie’s bio of her famous family or TV show. 

Do they mention Jesus or is it a heathen business?

• Upvote 6

On 2/26/2020 at 9:32 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Do they mention Jesus or is it a heathen business?

First thing they mention on their introductory youtube video is that they meet at church.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

• 2 weeks later...

I finally watched the new episode. It featured Willow’s birth. I had a bit of empathy for Kelton. Josie had passed out several times, she was trying for a natural birth. At some point Kelton had been told that the epidural his mom had was part of the reason they didn’t catch what ultimately caused her death. Josie’s doctor recommended that she got one and he attempted to bawling in fear. Josie ended up getting the epidural and we know the rest of the story. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Ugh. That had to be terrifying for him...

But what about poor Josie? She was the one fainting, exhausted, in pain etc. She should have been the focus of attention and what was best for HER (& the baby) should have been everyone’s prime concern. 
Hopefully, after that extremely arduous birth, both Josie and Kenton will wait a few years before having another child. Maybe Kelton will decide that he can’t face the fear of loosing Josie and will limit their family. Here’s hoping. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, Angelface said:

But what about poor Josie? She was the one fainting, exhausted, in pain etc. She should have been the focus of attention and what was best for HER (& the baby) should have been everyone’s prime concern. 
Hopefully, after that extremely arduous birth, both Josie and Kenton will wait a few years before having another child. Maybe Kelton will decide that he can’t face the fear of loosing Josie and will limit their family. Here’s hoping. 

I think she was the focus of his attention. He had a very real fear that an epidural wasn't the best for her or the baby, that it would kill her because that was his experience. I don't think he wanted her in pain out of selfishness, he just wanted her not dead. (Unless ever not wanting someone to die is selfish. so throwing yourself in front of a bullet/train/car/falling piano wouldn't be bravery but utmost selfishness so you don't have to bear the loss of the other person?)

• Upvote 21
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I think she was the focus of his attention. He had a very real fear that an epidural wasn't the best for her or the baby, that it would kill her because that was his experience. I don't think he wanted her in pain out of selfishness, he just wanted her not dead. (Unless ever not wanting someone to die is selfish. so throwing yourself in front of a bullet/train/car/falling piano wouldn't be bravery but utmost selfishness so you don't have to bear the loss of the other person?)

I agree with this - it wasn't about taking the focus off her just a hyper focus on her well being and wanting to keep Josie and Willow safe throughout labor.

I'll snark on a lot, but this is a perfectly normal response to me.

• Upvote 12

I didn’t watch but I think having a parent die traumatically in childbirth and then to watch your spouse go through it would be retraumatizing and really scary if you actually thought their treatment killed your mom.

Not to minimize the actual pain of childbirth at all...

• Upvote 20
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

It’s unfortunate that Kelton likely was misinformed. I can completely understand why watching Josie give birth would be retraumatizing for him, but he should have done research or asked her provider questions regarding the safety of epidurals (which are extremely low-risk btw). Projecting his misconceptions onto Josie to the point that it increased her suffering and interfered with appropriate medical care is not excusable. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Death is listed as a rare side effect of an epidural on the nhs website and there’s other documentation out there that death is rare but does happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

What symptoms can an epidural mask? That was Kelton's claim.

I don't think they've ever said what actually caused her death, but someone elsewhere suggested that an aneurysm could've been overlooked due to the common occurrence of post-epidural headaches, or that the epidural could've masked pain from something like a uterine rupture until it was too late. I'm not a doctor nor have I ever given birth, but the explanations seemed at least possible to me.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

If she had a DVT in her leg, epidural could mask the swelling and pain. DVTs can become PEs which are life threatening and one of the leading causes of postpartum death. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Kelton does ALL the talking when they are being interviewed. He rubs me the wrong way.

I understand what you are saying. But Josie is one of the quietest Bates. Maybe she just doesn't know what to say or finds difficult to talk to a camera despite all that years on TV.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 3/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

exactly. logic and reason fly out the window when you have a very real traumatic experience. Most people aren't concerned about dying from an epidural. But if your mom had died and they mentioned the epidural masking something that may have prevented her death?? I would be terrified, too. He wants his wife alive. It doesn't mean he wants her in pain, just that the alive part is more important in a fear driven state of mind. 

Edited by Belugaloo
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Kelton does ALL the talking when they are being interviewed. He rubs me the wrong way.

I can't get past his eyebrows. 

Josie is quieter than say Carlin and Tori. Pairing her up with them or Katie always failed to get her talking. However, alone she comes off more like Zach with the snarky comments. She is quite vocal with social media, so I think she is probably a bit stifled around louder people. 

• Upvote 10

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm the only one judges enough to come here to comment on Kelton feeding an ice lolly/popsicle to Willow? That baby is definitely not old enough for that amount of sugar!

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, bal maiden said:

So I'm the only one judges enough to come here to comment on Kelton feeding an ice lolly/popsicle to Willow? That baby is definitely not old enough for that amount of sugar!

People are very interesting with babies. My mother in law tried to feed our babies both cake and take sips of pepsi. She could not understand why we were against it and was even offended! I've had friends give infants ice cream or pudding, bottles of juice.... I personally am against it, but clearly some people just don't have a problem with it. My opinion is, why give them sugar? They don't know what they are missing, so I held off giving sugar for as long as I could. My kids have definitely had sugar as they are now well into their adolescents, but there was no rush from me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

This is definitely my feeling with alcohol and young children. I was dumbfounded when my sister-in-law gave my 3 year old niece a tiny sip of champagne. Even more so when everyone around laughed hysterically, including the toddlers father a federal prosecutor and grandfather, a federal judge. I dont think they have to be 18 to have alcohol for the 1st time. Just why give them a taste for something when impulse control is still so lacking? 

• Upvote 3

Australia is as hot as fuck. My child got zooper doopers (popsicles) and icecream at about 8 months. I have no air con.

Soft drink (pop soda) was a no no, until recently (she is four) as a special treat when we are out for dinner. Other than that I do not have it in the house.

I want to teach my child that all food is acceptable in the right quantities and the right balance.  What you eat needs to be burnt off (if that makes sense) so she has an awareness that she has to eat the right foods to keep her strong and fit and that she has a bit more leniency with unhealthy food if she has a fit and active lifestyle that helps burn it all off. 

I have food issues myself and weight issues. I work really hard at not passing that to my child. I keep her active and loving being active to give her tools and the opportunity to keep herself fit and healthy now and in the future. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, bal maiden said:

So true!!! but Josie posted that Willow is teething and very uncomfortable. Maybe the ice helps?

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, Bazinga said:

People are very interesting with babies. My mother in law tried to feed our babies both cake and take sips of pepsi. She could not understand why we were against it and was even offended! I've had friends give infants ice cream or pudding, bottles of juice.... I personally am against it, but clearly some people just don't have a problem with it. My opinion is, why give them sugar? They don't know what they are missing, so I held off giving sugar for as long as I could. My kids have definitely had sugar as they are now well into their adolescents, but there was no rush from me.

I agree. My little boy is seven months old and my theory is that given he doesn’t currently know that a chocolate biscuit tastes better than a stick of cucumber, why would I give him the one that’s full of sugar!? 

I have recently given my son the very occasional ice lolly when he’s been teething but I make my own by freezing a small amount of yoghurt and/or homemade fruit purée. 

• Upvote 9

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic