IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

I was introduced to fish slapping by the veggietales Jonah movie.  (It was directly inspired by the Monty Python skit, as the utterly hilarious commentary track points out.  The commentary also claims that the sheep used in the film were retirees from Wallace and Gromit, that the (animated) film was 'shot digitally' on the advice of George Lucas (who was encountered one day at the laundromat cleaning his wookie suit) and that many stunts in the (animated, I remind you) film were done using the technique of 'wire removal' that was pioneered by the film Roger Rabbit's Matrix (that film bombed but when they made those films separately they both did pretty well...).  Oh and the whale was made unwell by feeding him a lot of Krispy Kreme donuts.  Yeah I think the commentary track is funnier than the movie itself.)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

I was introduced to fish slapping by the veggietales Jonah movie.  (It was directly inspired by the Monty Python skit, as the utterly hilarious commentary track points out. ...Yeah I think the commentary track is funnier than the movie itself.)

I remember the very first Veggietales I ever saw, about Joshua and the wall. The French peas were straight out of Monty Python.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

The commentary also claims that the sheep used in the film were retirees from Wallace and Gromit,

Which reminds me, I have some clay-mation movies to watch! I've seen all the original Wallace and Grommit shorter movies, like A Grand Day Out, but there are other feature length films that I've missed. 

• Upvote 2

How is it that we live in a world where there's far more Shaun the Sheep content than Wallace and Gromit content?  I guess cos sheep don't need voice acting.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

How is it that we live in a world where there's far more Shaun the Sheep content than Wallace and Gromit content?  I guess cos sheep don't need voice acting.

My kids love Shaun the Sheep. They think that show is so funny. Kids will watch things over and over again. If the kids are watching Shaun the Sheep more than W&G, then that’s why. $$$

• Upvote 4

On 5/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, refugee said:

I remember the very first Veggietales I ever saw, about Joshua and the wall. The French peas were straight out of Monty Python.

That's one thing that always annoyed me about VeggieTales.  I like comedy... I like ORIGINAL comedy.  I hate it when someone "borrows" a funny bit.  It's the "Jumping The Shark" of the comedy world.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

That's one thing that always annoyed me about VeggieTales.  I like comedy... I like ORIGINAL comedy.  I hate it when someone "borrows" a funny bit.  It's the "Jumping The Shark" of the comedy world.

I really enjoyed the original Veggie Tales. I thought they were clever.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Petronella said:

I really enjoyed the original Veggie Tales. I thought they were clever.

I really enjoyed the *original* VeggieTales as well... It's the unoriginal stuff that bothers me. ?

• Upvote 2

I loved the shout-outs to all kinds of cultural icons. They were usually very clever and entertaining, not just drivel for the little kids.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jasmar said:

I loved the shout-outs to all kinds of cultural icons. They were usually very clever and entertaining, not just drivel for the little kids.

My mom loved the original Rocky and Bullwinkle for that reason. She’d watch it with us, and she was constantly snickering at stuff that went right over our heads. Like Boris Badenov. I guess there’s an opera called Boris Gudonov? There was a lot more adult-level humor (maybe political? I don’t know) but that’s the only example I remember.

Edited by refugee
Why did autocorrect change loved to lived?
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, refugee said:

My mom loved the original Rocky and Bullwinkle for that reason. She’d watch it with us, and she was constantly snickering at stuff that went right over our heads. Like Boris Badenov. I guess there’s an opera called Boris Gudonov? There was a lot more adult-level humor (maybe political? I don’t know) but that’s the only example I remember.

Yes, “Boris Godunov” is an opera by Moussorgsky with some gorgeous music. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I learned something today—I thought “Badenov” was just a play on “Bad Enough.”

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 5/27/2020 at 6:30 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids love Shaun the Sheep. They think that show is so funny. Kids will watch things over and over again. If the kids are watching Shaun the Sheep more than W&G, then that’s why. $$$

My kids loved Wallace & Gromit, though. 

• Upvote 3

The apple doesn’t fall far from the Tool Tree. Epitome of white fragility right here. 

1346FDFF-950C-4A03-9787-36D3C310576C.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

Entitled white woman much?  But so not surprising that Justice would think this is OK.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

Entitled white woman much?  But so not surprising that Justice would think this is OK.  

But they feel uncomfortable seeing black avi pictures! Why don’t you care about their poor wittle feelings?!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

Racism does not exist because none of her FB friends openly admit that they love racist murders.

Sure.

• Upvote 3

I honestly think I was pretty awful at being single. There are multiple reasons why I say that but one of my biggest issues was comparing myself to everyone else. I would wonder why everyone else seemed to find a great match for themselves and I was having trouble with it. I look back now and shake my head. I know I would have been much happier if I hadn’t felt “behind” all my peers. It’s funny because I’ve told my husband that even if we ever divorced (I don’t see that happening anytime soon since we seem to be pretty content in our marriage), I would never get married again. I realize now that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being single and I might actually enjoy it in my older years because I’m not constantly comparing myself to others. I didn’t realize back then how much I actually like being alone. I like solitude but felt like it was wrong because everyone else wanted to get married. Luckily my husband is not a clinger and leaves me alone when I need it. I couldn’t be married to a clinger. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:56 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The apple doesn’t fall far from the Tool Tree. Epitome of white fragility right here. 

Sadly, this isn't surprising given that DPIART openly worshipped at the shrines of the Confederacy.

From Doug's Blog in July 2003:

Worshipping the Confederacy.png

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly think I was pretty awful at being single. There are multiple reasons why I say that but one of my biggest issues was comparing myself to everyone else. I would wonder why everyone else seemed to find a great match for themselves and I was having trouble with it. I look back now and shake my head. I know I would have been much happier if I hadn’t felt “behind” all my peers. It’s funny because I’ve told my husband that even if we ever divorced (I don’t see that happening anytime soon since we seem to be pretty content in our marriage), I would never get married again. I realize now that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being single and I might actually enjoy it in my older years because I’m not constantly comparing myself to others. I didn’t realize back then how much I actually like being alone. I like solitude but felt like it was wrong because everyone else wanted to get married. Luckily my husband is not a clinger and leaves me alone when I need it. I couldn’t be married to a clinger. 

Sorry guys! This was meant to be on the thread about Allison Bontrager and her singleness! Whoops!

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Sadly, this isn't surprising given that DPIART openly worshiped at the shrines of the Confederacy.

Upon reading those profound (!) nuggets (!) of wisdom (!) truly, I say to you I must defer to that age old saying, "Gag me with a spoon."  What a bunch of pretentious, yet insipid gas-baggery, which is, of course, vintage Doug. 

And, such a coincidence (!), Stonewall Jackson seems to have structured his command in a way very similar to way the way Doug structured VF (!),  with one awesome manly, very manly, man in command with a very small inner circle of unquestioning Christian men (!) to do his bidding. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Sadly, this isn't surprising given that DPIART openly worshipped at the shrines of the Confederacy.

Worshipping the Confederacy.png

I'm in awe and thankfulness that you have all this information tucked safely away!  I always appreciate getting to read more of those 'treasures' to remind me all that he held dear.  I didn't remember this one, but it's not surprising and it is indeed, gag worthy!

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Howl said:

What a bunch of pretentious, yet insipid gas-baggery, which is, of course, vintage Doug. 

Totally. Given how much this garbage was spewed on Doug's Blog, it's likely that the older kids -- especially Joshua & Justice -- got major doses of it growing up. One can certainly overcome that sort of environmental damage but it's hard work. I hope that they can succeed in it.

1 hour ago, Flyinthesoup said:

I'm in awe and thankfulness that you have all this information tucked safely away!

You're welcome -- just wish that I had more of it. At the time of Tool O'Ween, I was occupied with family things and so didn't do as systematic a job as I would have liked in saving all this shite. 

Given many fundies' propensity for pretending their past lives have nothing to do with their current ones, it's always a good idea to save, download or screen-capture stuff.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Given many fundies' propensity for pretending their past lives have nothing to do with their current ones, it's always a good idea to save, download or screen-capture stuff.

I agree. This is mostly why I post screen shots in FJ threads. Because screen shots are forever. Links aren’t. If I link an Instagram post which later is deleted, then it’s no more! But if I have a screen shot, it’s all good.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic