IGNORED

Jinger 50: Making the Most of Los Angeles and Studio City

Coconut Flan

Joel Osteen is a politician cosplaying a pastor. As in he tells people what they want to hear and makes them feel special so they will give him money. Controversial topics are not what his fans are about.

Jeremy is a pompous dork who thinks he is slicker and cooler and more sophisticated than he is. I don’t think he has the deviousness or sharpness to deceive people for long as Osteen does.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, mollysmom said:

It took me many years to finally decide on my own what I believe & why I believe it.

This is where I landed. I adhere to no prescribed articles of faith, etc. My faith is grounded in love. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

Given his anti social justice signature, I doubt he’ll go Osteen’s path. That seems to say he’s willing to identify with that conservative white male patriarchal corner of Christianity. I could see him climbing the ladder at Masters Seminary or something like that...

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HA88 said:

I get the impression Jeremy would love to be the next Joel Osteen. You know Jeremy would love to get his hands on some of the suits Joel Osteen wears! Per Joel Osteen's wikipedia he generally avoids controversial topics politics, abortion and gay marriage. Would Jeremy shy away from controversial topics to appeal to a larger crowd? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Osteen

Absolutely he would. He is no pot stirrer like Derick or Ben circa early 2015. He is Eddie Freaking Haskell.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

"Lover of all things classical" makes me think that Jeremy remade Jinger in his image. I see he's a "Lover of men’s fashion and the culinary arts." For some reason that makes me giggle.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

"Lover of all things classical" makes me think that Jeremy remade Jinger in his image. I see he's a "Lover of men’s fashion and the culinary arts." For some reason that makes me giggle.

Do you think she means “all things classic?” Even that is odd. Somehow it (shockingly) doesn’t communicate grammatically.

Is it classical music and art she loves? Architecture? I’m trying to think what else is a “classical thing?” Or a “classic” thing? 

Maybe she means “classy?” ???

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Do you think she means “all things classic?” Even that is odd. Somehow it (shockingly) doesn’t communicate grammatically.

Is it classical music and art she loves? Architecture? I’m trying to think what else is a “classical thing?” Or a “classic” thing? 

Maybe she means “classy?” ???

I think that's what she means, it just doesn't come off as sincere. Probably because it's not grammatically correct, and it's really vague. Given Jeremy though, I'm thinking classics in this instance are art and literature.

"Lover of classics" = "I love posing with 100-year-old books."

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

I think that's what she means, it just doesn't come off as sincere. Probably because it's not grammatically correct, and it's really vague. Given Jeremy though, I'm thinking classics in this instance are art and literature.

"Lover of classics" = "I love posing with 100-year-old books."

I don’t think it is sincere- she and Jeremy are desperate to rebrand themselves as sophisticated and that’s how she thinks it’s done. She is a musician- most musicians I know are not snobs about music- they enjoy well written tunes whatever century they’re from.

she would actually be more interesting if she described her journey from strictly Christian books and music to exploring other music, literature and art and discussing what she enjoyed and what she disliked. But then she’d be admitting her upbringing was culturally restricted. I think I’m finding these two the most annoying at the moment- and there’s a lot of competition! 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

Jinger teaming up with a Scientologist is as interesting to me as a the Homeland Security stuff back in Arkansas. Is Jinger going to be kicking herself for not investigating the people she’s partnering with? Will she cancel when this becomes publicized or will it be swept away? Jeremy has to have some knowledge about Scientology even if it’s not on Jinger’s radar. I hope he’s super embarrassed/pissed off that Jinger got involved with this.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

23 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

Yeah I have to say,  not fair and not true.   That's part of the problem with people like the Duggars--the extremists are the ones you see simply because they are extreme.  They're the ones protesting,  preaching on tv, taking out billboards and making robo calls.   They misrepresent the majority of Christians and give them all a bad name.   It's ironic that they consider themselves to be so godly,  but their beliefs are a million miles away from anything Jesus taught. 

I am not sure I agree. From what I gathered here, there is definitely a majority in USA Christianity that I would call Fundie. It starts with openly identifying as Christian- and I am already like: ???? Why do you tell me that? I don’t care, even though I am a Christian myself. Why do you think that is a topic to discuss with strangers? Why do you care what religion someone has?

I have been part of a discussion where people tried to explain to me why the role of a pastor and his wife are actually influential in their congregations. That stuff thankfully ended in the 1980 (much earlier in urban areas) for most of our normal churches. A pastors wife only wearing skirts is something no one would think about. Talking about this as religious convictions definitely puts you in the freak category. 

Abortion is a topic many churches stay well clear off (even catholic ones. Of course everyone knows the stand of the Vatican but that doesn’t influence what people actually believe on that matter). Because our society for the majority has accepted the legal compromise we have. Even most religious people accept it even though they might think it’s wrong. 

It’s hard to describe but I come from a country where, Bernie Sanders wouldn’t be considered left but pretty mainstream. So many things I read about the the „not Fundie“ Christians in the USA do sound actually pretty fundie to me. A conservative Christian from the USA would most definitely be considered a right wing nut fundamentalist here.

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

there is definitely a majority in USA Christianity that I would call Fundie. It starts with openly identifying as Christian- and I am already like: ???? Why do you tell me that?

Have you encountered any statistics to backup your assertion thst most US Christians are fundy? I'm an American living in America, a black american, and I can tell you that while most black folks are Christian, we are not mostly fundy. Openly identifying as Christian hardly marks one as fundy in my book, if it is not done to proselytize. Please don't stereotype all of us because of the high profiles of the worst of us.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 7

8 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Jinger teaming up with a Scientologist is as interesting to me as a the Homeland Security stuff back in Arkansas. Is Jinger going to be kicking herself for not investigating the people she’s partnering with? Will she cancel when this becomes publicized or will it be swept away? Jeremy has to have some knowledge about Scientology even if it’s not on Jinger’s radar. I hope he’s super embarrassed/pissed off that Jinger got involved with this.

I disagree. He probably encouraged it. I doubt he knows about the ties to Scientology. Maybe someone should enlighten them?

• Upvote 4

@SilverBeach I can't speak for the OP, but I am from the EU (shortly not to be, sob). I never actually found US peeps to be very religious but OTOH nearly all the times I have been to the US have been astrophysics conferences - where most people are agnostic (or just don't tell ppl about their beliefs - no creationists there, though!).

From a European perspective, US people are very open about their religion (in a way that Europeans are not: hell, I know Catholic priests who, when dressed in civvies, manage not to tell everyone - even when I'm passionately arguing pro-choice, pro-LGBT points - that those things will send you to hell, ;)).

I took the OP to mean that the most *vocal* US Christians are fundies - I certainly don't think most US Christians are, but the ones we hear most from are - like the PP, Pence, *45(hah) & a bunch of other loud mouths. etc. Also, proselytizing is (thankfully) here not a thing. Nor is trying to convert Catholics to christianity Again, not speaking for OP, but seeing why s/he might say that.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

As a deeply committed Christian (church elder, Bible study leader), it makes me sad when people think all Christians are fundies and/or judgmental evangelicals, though I do understand it. The fundies and judgmental ones are the loudest. The rest of us have been quietly living our lives, seeking to love God, love our neighbor and care for the poor and oppressed.

This scenario is changing, IMO. I think a lot of us are realizing we have to get louder too, to break the stereotypes and not allow the fundies and evangelicals (yes, I  draw a distinction between them) to define the parameters on what it means to be a Christian. I don't try to get into a shouting war, but I'm extremely open about my progressive political stances, antiracism, queer ally, etc. Twelve years ago, it felt weird to even openly say I was a Democrat, because I felt it was a personal matter and it got weird looks from some Christian quarters and I didn't want to have to fight about it. But now I'm fighting by not only speaking up but getting involved in political activities and encouraging my church family to be louder as a group. I'm done. I have a lot of privilege in terms of demographics and need to use that to both speak up for true Christianity and to fight for those who have been marginalized.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 18

As a side note to what I wrote above, I think the Republican party itself has fallen victim to the same issue: the defining of parameters by a vocal minority. When certain blowhards started using the term RINO (Republican in Name Only) to marginalize intelligent, moderate voices within the Republican party, those moderate members chose to shut up, toe the newly-narrowed party line, or re-register as Independents. They accepted the definition. If they had pushed back as a group, the Republican party today might not have the reputation of being obnoxious, impossibly horrible people.

• Upvote 9

On 11/30/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ilovebrownies said:

Jinger and the Scientologist

46C9922F-E61C-45C3-82A5-5656121841BE.jpeg

holy crap! the signature! She is Jinger the Brand! I hadn't realised it was all getting so slick, but I guess it's obvious really, there must be $ in monetising her own distinct identity totally separate from what JB can control.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I grew up in South Central LA. I am the only Catholic in my family but everyone else is some form of Christian. Practically every family member and/or friend I grew up with went to some type of church every Sunday. Most still go. I have yet to meet anyone from my circle of family/friends who is in any way a fundy or evangelical. I do not understand the idea that if you are Christian, you must be an evangelical or fundy. I never even knew about fundies or how different evangelicals were until I started watching the Duggars. I have never met anyone who thinks the Duggar way is the road to God. 

I am trying to understand who is going to go to the store because of Jinger. It’s not like she is a hot commodity here. My guess is people might go for the free stuff when they see the advertisement. It’s interesting the event is on a Sunday night, which is when it is basically dead on Melrose. People who shop on Melrose aren’t going to be interest in Jinger as she doesn’t fit the demographic of their regular shoppers. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Since when does Jinger have a passion for baking? Also, her smile is so forced, it looks weird. 

Hide contents

F76C33BB-9AFC-4D1D-BC78-8CF2F8C39C8C.thumb.jpeg.5290018f0c83b6e5f1bb644773d7dbf9.jpeg
B4E94FF6-05F9-4E5A-97FC-F62782AE179A.thumb.jpeg.45751a4a103d7d4466158359323df92e.jpeg

That’s an extremely forced smile. Obviously a donut shop isn’t going to let her bake the donuts. And the only baking I ever recall her doing was having the Duggar bread-baking as a jurisdiction. 

Isn’t it weird that LA is pretty much the donut capital of the world?

• Upvote 11

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

That’s an extremely forced smile. Obviously a donut shop isn’t going to let her bake the donuts. And the only baking I ever recall her doing was having the Duggar bread-baking as a jurisdiction. 

Isn’t it weird that LA is pretty much the donut capital of the world?

The donut shop I'd most like to go to in LA is Danny Trejo's Coffee and Donuts.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

The donut shop I'd most like to go to in LA is Danny Trejo's Coffee and Donuts.  

I don't like donuts but OMG that's awesome. I'm all in!

• Love 1

The Donut Man in Glendora is fantastic with their seasonal flavors.  

image.thumb.png.44f61594e8a23b955a32e48f3fe28fda.png

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Since when does Jinger have a passion for baking? Also, her smile is so forced, it looks weird. 

Hide contents

F76C33BB-9AFC-4D1D-BC78-8CF2F8C39C8C.thumb.jpeg.5290018f0c83b6e5f1bb644773d7dbf9.jpeg
B4E94FF6-05F9-4E5A-97FC-F62782AE179A.thumb.jpeg.45751a4a103d7d4466158359323df92e.jpeg

But do you guys think Jinger is taking her love for baking to the next level?

:pb_rollseyes::pb_rollseyes::pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Hide contents

Since someone was prepared to pay her to grin while holding a donut.

Those fancy bow ties and books don’t buy themselves.

Jinger and Jeremy have been not so subtly name checking every place they eat. It looks like this place has been the first to ‘bite’ and offer them a deal. 

It’s also noticeable that the only good cause they appear to support is one run by Jeremy’s mother - no idea if it’s a Duggar style ‘non profit but the director draws a wage’ but it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Upvote 17

• Destiny locked this topic