IGNORED

Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

On 7/17/2019 at 9:31 PM, louannems said:

Medium price is $440 in my small city (pop:120K), 40 minutes from Seattle.

I am in Tacoma, and work in West Sea - there is definitely no way the average joe could buy a home debt free and survive.

Steve has all of these highly impossible standards required for people to get married, does he do this on purpose so they won’t??? I believe someone mentioned before that even with the low housing prices and cost of living in Kansas, the only way the Maxwell dudes did was thanks to free labor from the family. 

Steve:

A man having a mortgage does not make him a bad provider.

A man having a job outside of the home does not make him less holy.

A man having hobbies does not make him a negligent boyfriend, husband, or father.

A man who goes to a normal church is not putting his children at risk.

A man who seeks guidance from his wife is not weak.

A man who allows his daughters to work outside the home and who raises them to make their own decisions as adults is not inadequate.

A man who allows his children to read normal books, watch movies, and listen to music is not Satanic.

A man not having strict standards for how women dress does have to have lust.

A man who allows his wife to explore treatments for her depression and make a decision to not birth more children is a real man.

• Upvote 32
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

A man who allows his wife to explore treatments for her depression and make a decision to not birth more children is a real man.

I would turn that around to "a man who supports his wife in getting real medical/psychological treatment for her depression and in her decision not to continue having children is far better regarded in the sight of God than a man who sets himself up as an idol to be worshipped and obeyed. A man who encourages his children to grow and leave is far better regarded thsn one who infantilizes and enslaves them."

It will be interesting to see if the cult falls apart when Steve dies (yes Steve that's going to happen). I suspect it will, but will take a bit of time. I don't think it will sustain to the grandchildren, let alone beyond (and yeah I'm kind of hoping one of the grandkids goes off to study somewhere Approved - and then has a bit of an epiphany, dyes her hair purple, does a thesis on cults, forms a punk band named "Managers of Their Homes" and does tours with posters proclaiming she is Steven Maxwell's grandaughter. Heh.)

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I would turn that around to "a man who supports his wife in getting real medical/psychological treatment for her depression and in her decision not to continue having children is far better regarded in the sight of God than a man who sets himself up as an idol to be worshipped and obeyed. A man who encourages his children to grow and leave is far better regarded thsn one who infantilizes and enslaves them."

It will be interesting to see if the cult falls apart when Steve dies (yes Steve that's going to happen). I suspect it will, but will take a bit of time. I don't think it will sustain to the grandchildren, let alone beyond (and yeah I'm kind of hoping one of the grandkids goes off to study somewhere Approved - and then has a bit of an epiphany, dyes her hair purple, does a thesis on cults, forms a punk band named "Managers of Their Homes" and does tours with posters proclaiming she is Steven Maxwell's grandaughter. Heh.)

Anyone who love their partner, male or female, would let them get treatment or help when they need it. How Steve, or anyone claiming to be Christian and loving their spouse, can deny them the help they need and still claim to love them is beyond me. If Steve had truly loved his wife he wouldn’t have forced her to home school or keep having kids. I’ve mentioned before on other post but my mom almost died the last time she was pregnant. Her and my dad wanted another child so badly. After her last miscarriage my dad said enough was enough. He didn’t want his kids to grow up without a mom. That’s what a loving husband does. He says no more. My mom wouldn’t have kept trying but having my dad tell her they would try another way, adoption, instead of making her feel bad for not having another kid is true love. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

[snip]

If none of the daughters leave, I hope Abigail does. To me she looks so sad, even when she’s smiling!!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

My parents still live in the city and home I grew up in. Their home was built in 1960. The house next door from them just sold for $500,000. This is a 1500 sq foot home in a very middle class neighborhood in Sacramento,  CA- insane!

If Steve didn’t front the money, his sons would not be living in debt free homes. My daughter also lives in a debt free home, albeit it in SO America. Sometimes wedding gifts go a long way.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, socalrules said:

I need someone to explain to me for what job a graduate of  SOTDRT is qualified. What can they do that will allow them to make enough money to save to a house outright? Most of these people seem to be in small towns and I don’t see the type of jobs they are qualified for being in abundance in those areas. 

I think for all three Maxgals, they could get jobs as cleaning ladies, or nannies or dog sitters/walkers. It sounds like Anna might be able to get some kind of clerical job in a small office, where the bookkeeping wouldn't be too complicated. With a bit of formal training in early childhood education Mary could get a job working in a pre-school or daycare. Poor Sarah is kind of SOL. She's been the designated writer in the family and I don't know what other basic skills she's managed to pick up.

• Upvote 11

Look,we all know Sarah’s writing skills aren’t great. We also realize that most likely Steve gave her the title of ‘author ‘,so it’s probably not something she chose. So I’m not going to rip apart her latest post about Ellie. The gut feeling I get from her is that she’s probably depressed. The reason I think Anna and Mary are featured most is that their smiles are more deceiving. Sarah can’t hide the pain and sadness in her eyes. I think if anything this might be a turning point in her thinking about what her life is all about and what she wants out of it from here on. Again, this is just my opinion , I’m no psychologist. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Random Life post up.  Goofy Anna and Scary Mary return home this week.  Prissy Chris took his kids (gasp!) fishing.  Isn't that fun?  Little Debbie made her first church appearance on Steve's Day.  Wasn't she born day after Mother's Day, that's a long time hope she wasn't sick.  Coward Steve grounded out a large stump, oh the innuendos JohnHugh could come up with for that one.  Poor Sarah got a care package for her and Miss Ellie.  She and Tina went on a run with Crazy Eyed Nate.  Calia helps her mommy with the garden, speaking of which Invisible Elissa and Smug Joe made an appearance on the blog.  Judgy Chelsy had friends to visit.  The older Maxgrands are doing Bible Bee stuff, gotta keep up with those heathen Bontragers ya know.  Poor Andrew and Danny had to suffer through a birthday dinner with the grandparents and Forgotten Jesse.  Gigi got stuck babysitting while Nate and Wonder Woman Melanie went to DQ.

Edited by SPHASH
Correction on Prissy Chris and fishing
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

I'm not sure who I'm more concerned for--the oldies in "church" getting a bug from the kids or the baby (Deb) getting a cold or something from the oldies.

Stump grinding. Wow, imagine the glee over, say, a sidewalk repair. God these people are dull.

Now, please Lord (sincerely) let Mary or Anna get married! A whole life of waiting for a new stump to be ground....no, just no.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Stump grinding. Wow, imagine the glee over, say, a sidewalk repair. God these people are dull.

Steve also pitted a lot of cherries!  Don't forget that piece of news!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Hey, wait. Now that Annandmary are coming home, doesnt that mean it's time for the Fair? And then, it will be time to go to Colorado? And then, well, summer will be over and it will be time for pumpkin spice lattes? Well, maybe they'll post a Christmas in July Operation Shoebox blog later that includes a special meal, or what have you.... That's always exciting. And of course many, many pictures of the divine grandchildren, bless their poor little hearts.

See, I don't really need to read the blog anymore. Pick a month, any month, and I know what the Maxwells have scheduled. I know the Schedule.  I've the blogs them for a couple of years.  Add a baby or two, have a health incident, I could pretty much write their year in advance (eta that I did feel badly when Ellie was sick, though I'm glad she can no longer breed).

But the Ms still fascinate me. There's always that faint hope that somebody might break free.

• Upvote 24
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9

I know I should never be surprised by the painfully rigid roles and general awkwardness of this family, but here we are.

A blog reader sent me a game that I could enjoy playing with my nieces and nephews as we miss the aunts.

Sarah! YOU are their aunt! You are allowed to play games with your nieces and nephews even when your sisters, the designated Game Playing Aunts, are present! And you are allowed to pick out your own games! (Or even invent a new one, be still my racing heart)

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

In the "Sweet fellowship with friends for a few hours" photo, the last woman on our right is wearing blue jeans.  The photo has been photoshopped to blur the middle thighs, turning the jeans into a godly, long, denim skirt!

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 12

Lovingkindness is not a word. Loving and kindness are 2 separate words. This annoys me. As does the fact that Sarah is such a terrible photographer her pictures of people wearing glasses come out so weirdly and you think they have bruises around their eyes not glasses on half the time, though that could also be the pale pink plastic frames on the grandkid.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Hane said:

@catlady, how well does that work? I’m considering buying one.

I like it a lot!  It’s not perfect, but it’s very easy to use and I can work rather quickly with it. The little spring-mounted mechanism part is assembly-required; it screws together in about 5 seconds. But over prolonged use (I did about 3 pounds/1.3 kg last weekend), it can unscrew itself and needs to be reassembled. And sometimes the cherry doesn’t fall off the end of the pitter. But overall it works really well, and i’d say go ahead and get one. I don’t remember what I paid, but it was probably between $10 and $20.  

Edited by catlady
I’m not an author, but I believe in proper grammar and punctuation.
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, louannems said:

In the "Sweet fellowship with friends for a few hours" photo, the last woman on our right is wearing blue jeans.  The photo has been photoshopped to blur the middle thighs, turning the jeans into a godly, long, denim skirt!

this is hilarious! I'm so happy you pointed it out. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I dream that the Maxwells actually make it to the Bible Bee finals and the whole family goes and the Bontragers introduce the Maxwell "girls" to a bunch of Godly Young Men (or Godly  Widowers, in Sarah's case ).

A girl can dream, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, louannems said:

Damn how did I miss that!  Seriously though WTF, Maxwell's don't want to be seen associating with a jeans wearing hussy?  Oh the humanity!  Actually its the guy who is defrauding all us womenfolk with his bear legs.

IMG_2812-425x319.jpg

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 7
  • WTF 1

54 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Damn how did I miss that!  Seriously though WTF, Maxwell's don't want to be seen associating with a jeans wearing hussy?  Oh the humanity!  Actually its the guy who is defrauding all us womenfolk with his bear legs.

I think the lady in the black flowered shirt may be wearing jeans as well. I blame Chels for inviting such hussies into the compound.

• Upvote 6

@anachronistic,  loving-kindness is sometimes written as one word when you are referring to the Buddhist virtue of metta or benevolence.  The other virtues are compassion (karuna), empathetic joy (mudita), and equaminity (upekkha).

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

IMG_2812-425x319.jpg

Why that brazen hussy may even have cut her hair like a boy!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@anachronistic,  loving-kindness is sometimes written as one word when you are referring to the Buddhist virtue of metta or benevolence.  The other virtues are compassion (karuna), empathetic joy (mudita), and equaminity (upekkha).

Pretty sure the Maxwells would be horrified if they had anything on their blog invoking "pagan" religions! : )

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Now, I’m not a Photoshopper, nor do I play one on TV, but that’s some damn lousy Photoshopping.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic