IGNORED

Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

I'm guessing that one of the 'unusual ingredients'  was Ritz crackers, since they show a box in one of the pictures.  They could have made mock apple pie, but it looks like they didn't.  We'll never know for sure.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Sops2 said:

Just looking at the blog photos of the Colorado trip- and it struck me how pretty Sarah looks. Surely Steve has had approaches from a GYM- can he have scared them all off?

That would be my guess.  I shudder to think of the kind of guy he wouldn't scare off.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

25 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I shudder to think of the kind of guy he wouldn't scare off.

I fantasize about Stevehovah meeting a young Mr. Perfect Christian (TM) who ticks off all his boxes and connects with Sarah—then they move to wherever it is he came from and he gently introduces her to other religious beliefs, jeans, pop music, movies, the local softball league, community theater, science museums, public school—the possibilities are endless. And young Mr. Christian would be Sarah’s Spiritual Leader (TM), so she’d have no choice but to follow his lead into openmindedness.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse... you seriously defraud me with the results of your gym training...

Yes Steve, a woman, too, can be visually defrauded, so maybe it's time to put stop on Jesse's weight lifting, just as you told him to stop playing the instrument he loved.

I'd post this in the comments on their blog but he'd delete it. My Modesty for Men post--How to Keep Women From Lusting

https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/9881/

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

I worked in a job where full time hours were 36.75 per week.  (which is 6:21 per day.  yeah)

On 8/27/2019 at 9:57 PM, Captain Obvious said:

True, but math is pretty neutral isn't it? It's not like they'll be asked to calculate the number of gay dads required to make a Satanist abortion doctor. 

Clearly you haven't read Mathametics: Is God Silent? by James Nickel.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/173590.Mathematics

It even has an endorsement by none other than DPiaT, Esq., president THE VISION FORUM!

Spoiler

IMAG0065resize.thumb.jpg.6aa9d62fa089952d4054d2956bf1ca26.jpg

(The book isn't just about mathematics as such, but also about the history of the development of mathematics, and the philosophies of the mathematicians.)

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Just looking at the blog photos of the Colorado trip- and it struck me how pretty Sarah looks. Surely Steve has had approaches from a GYM- can he have scared them all off?

Hi, I am new to FJ and a long time lurker just learning my way around. I don't think Steve scared them all off. More likely he convinced Sarah they weren't "Godly enough" to meet his standards. One of the things I have detested about Steve and Teri is the leash they keeps on Sarah. They let Anna and Mary go on mission trips for three months at a time, but keeps Sarah home. I included Teri because I have a feeling she has a say in her daughters lives. Not as big as Steve, but some that has contributed to making her a spinster  stay at home daughter. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

Do you think Sarah’s recently developed altitude sickness is real or a creative way to not have to go on the long hikes she dislikes?

if it’s real I feel bad that they keep forcing her to go somewhere that makes her sick. 

If it’s not, good for her for coming up with a way to get some alone time. Too bad she can’t just say ‘ I’m not going’. 

• Upvote 21

3 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

Do you think Sarah’s recently developed altitude sickness is real or a creative way to not have to go on the long hikes she dislikes?

if it’s real I feel bad that they keep forcing her to go somewhere that makes her sick. 

If it’s not, good for her for coming up with a way to get some alone time. Too bad she can’t just say ‘ I’m not going’. 

I don’t doubt it. I’ve experienced it and it’s a miserable feeling. 

It’s also possible that the first time was altitude sickness and the subsequent years she’s discovered a great way to have some alone time so hasn’t even attempted it again.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Y'all, they climbed Handies Peak.

....I'm not mature enough to comment any further than that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

Talent - or lack of it - IS inherited. 

I got to where the writer mentioned “Steve” and had to check the byline! Before that, I’d’ve bet you anything it was PSarah. 

But I apologize to the young woman before going any further She may well have talent but has been encouraged not to explore it  

I mean, her instructor throughout “12” years of “school” wrote a caption which I’m paraphrasing here as: “The sunlight hit the mountain and this is what it looked like.”

HONEST TO PETE! Is it a sin in Maxhell to use descriptive language? Don’t answer  I know the answer.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I've just read the latest Maxhell blog post, and realized what I was feeling was utter astonishment that Stevehovah and Terified would allow Sarah to stay behind - ALL BY HERSELF - while they hiked yet another "14-er." (Couldn't help flashing on that Atlanta-is-burning scene in Gone With the Wind, where Dr. Meade suggests leaving Scarlett behind, and Aunt Pittypat responds "Without a chaperone, Dr. Meade? It SIMply ISn't DONE!! :pearlclutching: )

Based on what I've observed WRT the Maxwell parental dynamic, I'd imagine S & T saying "Suck it up, buttercup, and hit that rocky trail!" I can only imagine how much PSarah looks forward to having one whole day a year, all to herself.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 8/27/2019 at 11:27 AM, onekidanddone said:

I don’t get how math is taught with a Christian focus. Math is a constant. 

xtian math.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 19
  • Love 6

Maybe Sarah got her self in a family way and had morning sickness.

• Downvote 2
  • WTF 1

I just read the recent blog post by the Maxwell's. Sarah may have really developed altitude sickness which affected her ability to go on the hike. What bothers me is they mention Sarah has been developing this for a couple of years now. I've never had altitude sickness, nor am I a doctor, but are there any preventative measures the Maxwells could have taken so Sarah wasn't feeling so sick? 

• Upvote 4

@NancyDrewFan1989,  there are some measures which can help.  The key seems to be getting acclimated to the altitude.  I was just reading what Colin Fletcher said in The Complete Walker.  It takes about three days to get acclimated to high altitudes.  What he'd do is to choose a roadhead about 6000-7000 feet to leave his car.  He might drive through the night to get there and then he'd sleep most of the next day.  The day after that, he'd hike a little:  not too long or too hard and camp again.   You don't want to gain more than 1000 feet in elevation per day.   At the roadhead, he'd do preparations that could be done at the last minute like waxing his boots or portioning out his food.  Just taking things very easy at first seemed to be key.  It's also important to keep yourself properly hydrated because you can get dehydrated so easily at elevation.  

There was a reference to the Big Headache Mountains in a Chinese text from 30 BCE.

Edited by PennySycamore
riffle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

are there any preventative measures the Maxwells could have taken so Sarah wasn't feeling so sick? 

Yeah - going somewhere else for a change, where their daughter wouldn't get sick, or letting her stay home...or go somewhere by herself. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I’m sure Steve and Teri set aside fifteen minutes one day to discuss Sarah’s illness.  All options are simply too overwhelming. 

They could leave her in the care of one of her married brothers but we all know how hectic it is to leave a child so we can go on what some might call a vacation. I mean you have to pack her bag and make sure she has her favorite snacks and stuffed animals. You have to make sure her sitters have her schedule. It’s A LOT! 

They could go someplace different but all the spreadsheets have already been made for COLORADO. Dang! That sounds like a headache. I mean, what groceries does one buy for Iowa if you have always been planned for Colorado?!?  Think, people! These plans don’t just make themselves ya know. 

They could let her stay home alone but no. No no no no no. We are not even going to discuss that asinine idea. 

They could ask Sarah what she wants to do but do you realize how evil it is to let children make decisions for themselves?! It simply isn’t done. Again, we will not even discuss this further.  

So, obviously, the solution is to drag her along, sick or not and make sure the baby monitor is working for when they have to let her stay alone. 

All in all, I’d say they did the only logical thing. Heh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 22
  • Love 3

Hasn't she stayed behind before? I seem to remember. Maybe it was just a day trip when she was in the final stages of "writing" her last "book".

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Perhaps after 37 years she’s proven herself trustworthy enough to be left home alone for a few hours. ??

• Upvote 13

Sarah seems to have a fair amount of autonomy for a female Maxhellion. She travels alone, both locally and otherwise, and of the three daughters, she’s the one who seems least involved with a lot of activities and with the extended family, because she’s set herself as the family chronicler and photographer. Sarah is present to take pictures but Anna and Mary are the ones who seem to interact most with the younger set. Sarah also didn’t appear to do much in the way of presenting at conferences or playing with the family band. I think she has a lot more connection with Ellie than she does with the nieces and nephews and while I’m glad the poor pup can’t be bred anymore, I’m sure it was devastating to Sarah. I really have no idea how she spends her time, aside from her writing and whatever bookkeeping she does.  Marriage isn’t out of the question, but let’s face it, her prospects are limited to a similarly unmarried man around her age (not many of those) or a widower, and her chances of becoming a parent diminish every day. She may try to rationalize things by telling herself that it’s all god’s plan, but overall, she seems pretty resigned to me, with little to look forward to except being the designated spinster caregiver as her parents age. She’s 37, and not to put too fine a point on it, approaching middle age, still (as far as we know) sharing a room with her much younger sisters, so I guess the least Steve and Teri can do for her to keep her from withering away is loosen the leash a little.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 4

@PennySycamoreThank you for the explanation. The Colorado hiking trips seem to be a favorite of Sarah's. I just wondered if there were any preventive measures she could have taken.

• Upvote 5

@NancyDrewFan1989,  you're welcome.  I did check Wikipedia to see if there was anything new, but Colin Fletcher's advice from The Complete Walker looks like it still holds.  (My copy was last revised 9n '84.)  I think from the kind of hiking they do -trying to summit a 14er in a day's hike- there is not much she could do to combat the altitude sickness,   Going to 6000 feet and trying to get used to the elevation would help, but you're still not supposed to gain more than 1000 feet in elevation a day.  Altitude sickness can be fatal as looking at lists of people who've died on Everest of K2 will show.  It can be fatal in itself or it can lead to confused thinking which is NOT good when you're climbing a mountain.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic