IGNORED

Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

The part of the braces story that really got me was Steve saying that SHE (the orthodontist) didn't even let Terri help her understand Biblical authority on the subject.  Um...what? First a female dentist for the Maxwells and then Steve thinks she should have took listen to a Bible lesson? This man...I'm speechless!!!

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, VanillaBean said:

The part of the braces story that really got me was Steve saying that SHE (the orthodontist) didn't even let Terri help her understand Biblical authority on the subject.  Um...what? First a female dentist for the Maxwells and then Steve thinks she should have took listen to a Bible lesson? This man...I'm speechless!!!

But how could the orthodontist possibly know that Mary was under the Biblical Authority of Teri, and Teri under the Biblical Authority of Steve unless Teri Explained it to her?

My guess is the orthodontist had the measure of this family and gently tugged the chain. (Also can you imagine having to deal with Teri in a professional situation? Or worse, Steve? I can only hope his next cardiologist is a much younger woman who won't put up with any crap.)

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, VanillaBean said:

So that was it for me.  I looked back and I think Mary was 9 when this happened.  My daughter is almost 9, and even though she’s very independent and I give her a lot of choices, I’d be a little taken aback if the situation truly happened as they described it.  I suppose I’d have more questions, like... does it affect the total cost? And maybe having the orthodontist fully explain the pros/cons and what it meant to my daughter.  If they just posed the options and said it’s your mouth, 9 year old.. I may be a little surprised.  

Not because I don’t give my kid a lot of choices, but because at 9 I don’t know they fully understand the outcomes to make the “final” decision like that.  I should also note that I had orthodontic work and also worked in an orthodontic office as a teen.  

I would expect the exchange to go with the recommendation by the ortho, and an actual discussion.  The kid needs to be involved, but also informed.  I agree that they are a major part of the process.  This means they should be consulted and brought on board.

I don’t think it unfolded exactly as explained.

It’s reasoning he gives that gets me.  It’s not that she is young and may not understand everything that is offensive... it’s his biblical explanation.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

Back to school post up.  And Griselda Teri's advice for homeschooling moms.  No pics of Calia does that mean she's not being homeschooled, there are pics of Danny, Lizzie, Benji, and Debbie and they are younger than her.

• Upvote 8

As someone who’s been on the medical side of things before, discussing things with the child has less to do with the child being in charge and more with helping them learn how to talk to medical providers as they grow. If they don’t learn it as a child, it can be aggravating when a teenager comes in with a problem they would be best at describing in their own words and yet they still defer to whoever brought them. Yes, it’s also to include them in the discussion so they’re more willing to go along with whatever treatment plan gets prescribed, too. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

20 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Back to school post up.  And Griselda Teri's advice for homeschooling moms.  No pics of Calia does that mean she's not being homeschooled, there are pics of Danny, Lizzie, Benji, and Debbie and they are younger than her.

I think Elissa is just a very private person and good for her, I say. She and Joseph and their family only seem to appear on the blog when there’s an extended Maxwell family photo, when it would be awkward not to be included, or at a family event like Christmas, but always in the background. The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that the secrecy surrounding the wedding really was at her request. 

• Upvote 22

2 hours ago, sparkles said:

I think Elissa is just a very private person and good for her, I say. She and Joseph and their family only seem to appear on the blog when there’s an extended Maxwell family photo, when it would be awkward not to be included, or at a family event like Christmas, but always in the background. The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that the secrecy surrounding the wedding really was at her request. 

Your probably right and I've wondered that myself TBH.  I'm sure to a Maxwell leghumper it would seem odd that two sets of grandkids are featured in the back to school post and one isn't.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Can we please give this "girl" a few synonyms for "crew"????

hey Steve.  your daughter is an author.  buy her a damn thesaurus.  

and why does she insist on putting each kid's last name on their pictures?  it would make more sense if Sarah and Anna had school-age kids who by extension would have surnames other than Maxwell, but the whole damn bunch has the same name, so it just sounds redundant.

so if all 8 Maxwells had braces, does this mean that Stevehova and Teri decided that God messed up on all 8 kids' teeth?  God made a mistake 8 times over?  and it required S&T to go against God's will of crooked teeth?  interesting.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, catlady said:

so if all 8 Maxwells had braces, does this mean that Stevehova and Teri decided that God messed up on all 8 kids' teeth?  God made a mistake 8 times over?  and it required S&T to go against God's will of crooked teeth?  interesting.

Do you know I've actually wondered about this--not only with braces. Why is it ok to "correct" some of God's apparent mistakes---especially childlessness [not trying to start anything--that's just the best example]. Then I thought perhaps it [the "mistake"] can be put down to things "we" have done with our God-given free will. [God does not make mistakes] Not like we went out and got a STD so are now incapable of conceiving. But things an individual has no control over--like farm chemicals in the water. With teeth, maybe Teri, being exhausted and depressed let her kid suck her thumb?

Whatever--my ramblings!

I think the teeth were fixed to make her marriageable should she ever reach that unreachable state of being fully "ready" for marriage and when a perfect potential spouse (i.e. Steve's exact mini-me) is identified. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Do you know I've actually wondered about this--not only with braces. Why is it ok to "correct" some of God's apparent mistakes---especially childlessness [not trying to start anything--that's just the best example]. Then I thought perhaps it [the "mistake"] can be put down to things "we" have done with our God-given free will. [God does not make mistakes] Not like we went out and got a STD so are now incapable of conceiving. But things an individual has no control over--like farm chemicals in the water. With teeth, maybe Teri, being exhausted and depressed let her kid suck her thumb?

Whatever--my ramblings!

I think the teeth were fixed to make her marriageable should she ever reach that unreachable state of being fully "ready" for marriage and when a perfect potential spouse (i.e. Steve's exact mini-me) is identified. 

I lump this (getting them orthodontia) in the same category as faith healers wearing glasses. It’s allowable hypocrisy and don’t be rude by pointing it out. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 8

Debbie looks a little like how Benji did when he was that age.

Elizabeth looks so cute! She reminds me of Lydia. 

I agree that Calia likely isn’t featured because Joseph and Elissa are more private. We don’t see many photos of them unless it’s a “random life” post. Pretty sure she’ll be homeschooled, probably with basic pre-K type material seeing as she’s nearly 4. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I lump this (getting them orthodontia) in the same category as faith healers wearing glasses. It’s allowable hypocrisy and don’t be rude by pointing it out. ?‍♀️

Following their beliefs logically Steve should probably be dead from cardiovascular disease right now. Funny how his physical health is far more important than Teri's mental health was.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Ruthie is such a pretty little girl. Her smile always seems so sad and resigned. She could be a kid who hates to smile On Demand for pictures. 

• Upvote 10

I was surprised to see the older kids are doing Saxon Math, which is pretty mainstream compared to A Beka, Bob Jones, ACE, etc.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I was surprised to see the older kids are doing Saxon Math, which is pretty mainstream compared to A Beka, Bob Jones, ACE, etc.

True, but math is pretty neutral isn't it? It's not like they'll be asked to calculate the number of gay dads required to make a Satanist abortion doctor. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 30
  • Love 1

I taught Saxon Math for a number of years. It’s designed to introduce a new concept every day while constantly reviewing old concepts. The curriculum for K-3 is worksheet/workbook based. It’s not until 4th grade that the student has an actual hardback book. The worksheets & books contain no photos or color (except on the front cover of the book.) So, it’s not f*n- clearly, Stevehova approved. The K-3 curriculum utilizes lots of manipulatives for hands on learning. Also, every lesson is scripted for the “teacher” you can literally read the lesson to the student. So, it would be very easy for a person without formal education training to “teach.”

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

I asked Teri about using manipulatives and said I liked to use Base Tens and Cuisinaire Rods, but she said her children never needed them and wouldn’t use them. I imagine her lessons were, “Finish Pages 28-32. Then you can play the guitar. (Until you like it too much).”

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 2

On 8/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, SilverBeach said:

Not everywhere. I've been under 8:30 to 4:30, and other fixed schedule variations. Plus, many places have flexible schedules with variable starting and ending times. 8 to 5 is not a norm.

I have never worked anywhere with an 8-5 schedule. Most places offer a lot of flexibility these days. They have to offer it to keep up.

• Upvote 4

I’ve always wondered why Jesse is the only one who didn’t get braces. He’s also the only one with glasses. Didn’t the other boys get braces? 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic