IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

Well, if Jessa has needed emergent post delivery care, yet again, I’d say she also should start having hospital births. Looks like a running IV, an adult set up as opposed to pediatric, and baby is thoroughly wrapped and being held, so I’d say the most likely party being treated is Jessa.

Regular care beyond a quick check for sex, birth center or hospital delivery routine postpartum and newborn care. It’s not that hard. They have money for all the fun things in life, they need to find the funds for real care for these women and their babies.

I guess the Duggars missed the birth, as they were likely still in TN or on the road home.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

People keep saying this and I don’t get it. I don’t remember Jill ever showing disappointment over the fact that she had boys. I remember Cathy being kind of a jerk on the show about Sam being a boy during the sex reveal, but that’s about it. Is there something specific you’re remembering? 

I remember Jill saying she thought the baby was a girl, and then they had those baby girl shoes between DD’s and Jill’s shoes when they announced the pregnancy in People ( or maybe it was another mag), and I do remember Jill seeming to be a bit deflated when they made the public, verbal gender announcement post u/s. I think she said something about being wrong about the gender and DD being right. I think this was right before Jessa’s wedding.

• Upvote 11

I looked Kay Ivey up.

She's Dolores Umbridge. *shudder*

And I'm quite off the name Ivy for the next little bit. Thanks @ViolaSebastian

• I Agree 7

Maybe Ivy will be able to wear pants and be her own person and not a helpmeet. Ben does come from a slightly more progressive family

Or she cold be Daddys little princess who can get away with anything.  

Only time will tell 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Oh shit. Guys. Guys. There isn't a chance that Ivy is named after Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, is there?

...I feel sick.

I assume they support her policies but I reckon it’s unlikely baby Ivy was named after the governor. After all, it would have made more sense to call her Kay or Ellen and not the last name. But that’s just a guess - obviously ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Oh no, if Jill was at Jessa's I wonder if that means she and her doppler of doom were acting as "midwife"

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 8
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

I assume they support her policies but I reckon it’s unlikely baby Ivy was named after the governor. After all, it would have made more sense to call her Kay or Ellen and not the last name. But that’s just a guess - obviously ?

Ben always likes the last names of his Christian heroes for some reason. Spurgeon, Wilberforce, and now possibly Ivy. But I think they would have spelled it Ivey if they named her after her. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I own it: I think it sucks that Ivy didn't get, at the very least, a name that is remotely after some sort of theological figure or missionary, like Henry and Spurgeon. Unless they announce some connection that I haven't made yet, (which I will own, because just because I can't make that connection doesn't mean it doesn't exist], I think it sucks and is sexist that she, too, doesn't deserve a name that in some way ties to her brothers and the faith of her parents.

Their anxiety about the roles women are allowed to play in worship/ministry/theology definitely limits the number of historical women they can acknowledge as “heroes of the faith”. Vision Forum had the same problem and every time they had a historical costume party, all the women would show up as like ... William Tyndale’s Dowager Aunt.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, xenobia said:

It's been on Counting On's wiki-page for quite a while. (That's the one I usually check out for Duggar info). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_On

I noticed on here that it says that Lauren is due on November 17th. Do we have a source for that or is this based on what duggardata thinks on when she will deliver? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Si and Lauren talk about when their baby is due. (not sure if I can ask this here. Tell me if I should move this to the Si + Lauren thread)

15 minutes ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

I noticed on here that it says that Lauren is due on November 17th. Do we have a source for that or is this based on what duggardata thinks on when she will deliver? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Si and Lauren talk about when their baby is due. (not sure if I can ask this here. Tell me if I should move this to the Si + Lauren thread)

Someone found a registry on Amazon with the due date listed as Nov 17th. It shows a sheet set that's been purchased and matches the set in the announcement photos, so people think it might be legit. :confusion-shrug: 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Maybe they realized that too many of the women whose names are mentioned in the Bible don't quite fit their theology (women leaders, deacons, not obviously submissive enough, etc.), have names JB and Michelle couldn't possibly spell or remember, or are named Mary. How many female names starting with J are even in the Bible?

Jemima was the first off the top of my head, and I’m kind of surprised they never used it. Jezebel, on the other hand...

Then Jehosheba, Jerusha, Joanna (Johanna as a variant), Jochebed Julia, and Judith. Most of them single line mentions.

I’m looking through my “best ever Christian baby name book” which includes a bunch of namesakes (Jim Elliot, Charles Spurgeon are there) and not finding anything under Ivy. Looks like they just picked it because they liked it. Jane is a feminine form of John, with a religious Hebrew meaning and a bunch of famous Janes, so that might have been thematic. Ivy is okay but I think I’m just going to keep calling her Threewald.

I see she’s got Felicity’s giant bow thing going on. I hope she doesn’t have too many younger siblings to sister-mom and has a life a bit more like Ben’s sisters than her mother did. Or just escapes completely. Free Ivy!

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Mimosa said:

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I agree with this sentiment entirely. On the other, Jessa and Ben have experienced a major branding shift since Spurgeon's birth (note that I specifically said branding, not beliefs). Spurgeon was born when they were still very fire and brimstone on their social media and very open about their heinous beliefs. Since then, Jessa has become more of a generic Christian mommy influencer, and has focused more on her life as a brand and I don't know that overtly theological names fit that brand anymore. 

I'll be interested in the name if Seewald #4 is a boy, but as of now I could see it going either way. 

I think the naming goes one of two ways:

Either Jessa did take more control after the horrible decision that is the first name Spurgeon.

OR

1. Spurgeon Elliot = Ben's pick, Jessa's pick.
2. Henry Wilberforce = Jessa's pick, Ben's pick.
3. Ivy Jane = Ben's pick, Jessa's pick.
4. ??? ???? = Jessa's pick, Ben's pick.
5. ?????? ??? = Ben's pick, Jessa's pick.

And thus 'Ivy' is Ben's pick, and we won't get to see another of Ben's first name picks until #5.

Honestly, 'Ivy' is flowy and girly and so I could see Ben thinking it as beautiful and perfect for a girl. It isn't to my taste, but neither is Henry so whatever. Personally I'm more fond of the 'Strong, respectable last names as first names' trend, but I am WASPy as heck, so... I actually don't mind 'Wilberforce' as a first name.

• Upvote 7

I cannot stand Jessa, the smug female (non-sex-offender) counterpart of Joshley.

HOWEVER

....and I can't believe I'm saying this........
I like the name. Like, a lot. We are pregnant with our rainbow baby right now, and 'Jane' is a contender for a hyphenated middle name for a girl (My middle name is hyphenated). 

...siiiiiiiiiiiigh..

I LIKE THE IVY JANE NAME. And Felicity. And Merideth, and Mackenzie.

The girl-grands seem to get off lucky with the pretty names, at least a small consolation prize for being born female in this insane cult. 

• Upvote 5

A wee bit off topic but re; the birth chat and Doppler of doom (which btw I love as it's name), has anyone else here read Push Back by Amy Tuteur? It's about the lack of scientific evidence propping up most of the natural parenting industry and there's a whole section about how dangerous midwives in the US (which more often then not tend to be the Jill types because CNM (certified nurse midwife) is a relatively difficult to attain title most people who want to be midwives aren't willing to attend) really are. The whole part on midwifes vs OBGYN made me flash to Jill's "midwifery" care. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Oh no, if Jill was at Jessa's I wonder if that means she and her doppler of doom were acting as "midwife"

i love this - doppler of doom should be the next title 

and the name is adorbs - fight me on it. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

A bit late to the conversation here-- got off of work today (teacher here) and was excited to see an announcement. lol. Kinda upset it's a girl on the sister-moms stand point, but also excited because she won't be the oldest in the family, and also I've always wanted to see how ben does with a little girl.  I always thought it'd be cute. guess time will tell.  

I know it's early on but she looks a ton like Spurgeon did when he was born- like someone else said, it will be interesting to see if she has the curly hair like the other two! 

also random and surely not intentional, the names kinda rhyme- Ivy, Henry, Spurgie- (lol do they still call him that?)

• Upvote 2

I feel bad for Spurgeon, he really got the short end of the naming stick. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Those novels are too scandalous. There’s DANCING. With people you aren’t married to!! And Mr. Darcy’s wet shirt certainly stirs up desires thay cannot be righthously fulfilled.

Ivy is a cutie pie. She’s a baby so that’s to be expected. But sometimes newborns look a bit like squishy aliens.

SpurgBob. I LOVE IT

I'm sure she's never read any Jane Austen xD but those old, romantic-y, distinguished, British-y sounding names....I could totally see that being Jessa's style haha. 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I'm sure she's never read any Jane Austen xD but those old, romantic-y, distinguished, British-y sounding names....I could totally see that being Jessa's style haha. 

Actually, the Fundies do read Jane Austen.  I was dismayed to find this out---was it at a shower for Lauren?  They had a tea party and referenced Jane Austen.  I guess they like the morals in the novels?  I forget why.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Upvote 12

14 minutes ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

A wee bit off topic but re; the birth chat and Doppler of doom (which btw I love as it's name), has anyone else here read Push Back by Amy Tuteur? It's about the lack of scientific evidence propping up most of the natural parenting industry and there's a whole section about how dangerous midwives in the US (which more often then not tend to be the Jill types because CNM (certified nurse midwife) is a relatively difficult to attain title most people who want to be midwives aren't willing to attend) really are. The whole part on midwifes vs OBGYN made me flash to Jill's "midwifery" care. 

I have not read that book, but I think the risk here is based on so many variables from the education and experience of the practitioner to the OBGYN history of the individual patient. IMO, Jill, Joy and now Jessa (if she has required follow up institution based care, which I suspect she has) are not good candidates for home births, while Anna appears to be a far better candidate. Kendra would also be a better candidate for a home birth as she’s had a routine, vaginal delivery without complications and appears to be in good overall health.

I thought I saw a photo of Jessa and baby earlier today, but I can no longer find it. Most of the photos are of  Ivy alone, or Ivy and others. I also have not seen any pictures of Ben. Plus the 24 hours + of silence after Ivy’s birth makes me think something went awry. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

8 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

It’s hard to say with fundies. Some fundies do love Jane Austen. It is surprisingly popular with some young fundie maidens. When I look through fundie blogs, a Jane Austen book or movie adaptation is often listed as a favorite. I guessed Charlotte as the name for this baby because it’s also a Jane Austen character name. Maybe she just likes regency era names. 

• Upvote 3

But didn’t the Duggar girls claim that they were only allowed to read limited books? IIRC the books referenced were the Bible and Waiting for Prince Charming. I wonder if any of the married women still have restrictions on literature in place? I know we have seen Jinger and Jill mention books they are currently reading. I wonder if Jana still has restrictions? Preventing children from reading age appropriate books is neglect, a form of abuse, IMO.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s hard to say with fundies. Some fundies do love Jane Austen. It is surprisingly popular with some young fundie maidens. When I look through fundie blogs, a Jane Austen book or movie adaptation is often listed as a favorite. I guessed Charlotte as the name for this baby because it’s also a Jane Austen character name. Maybe she just likes regency era names. 

That's what I was thinking, the Regency-era names are Jessa's style lol. @Satan'sFortress At Lauren't bridal shower it Ben who mentioned the Jane-Austen-esque nature of the tea party, and we do know that Ben's family is more relaxed on their books/movies/pop culture tolerance. I was implying that Jessa likely hadn't, though maybe since they married she's somehow gotten to expand her literary experience xD. But we don't know who picked which of Ivy Jane's names, anyways. 

• Upvote 8

Like many, I'm pleasantly surprised by the name. I think it sounds lovely, like a character in an old book. "Jane" is on my unofficial-hypothetical-baby-name-list in my head, so I feel slightly, irrationally miffed. Like 999,999 other people in America, it's a family name for me. 

I'm sort of name-obsessed and this will probably send me to try to list top decade names on Sporcle #nerdalert

Edited by pippi
Hit post too soon!

When I hear the name Ivy I always think of one movie, which the Seewalds would consider wildly inappropriate:

79cd586c4825d5db354a2eefd3d9ac28.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 27
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, ElToro said:

Personally, I think the Seewald naming theme is an acrostic, spelling out S. H. I.... I just hope number four will be little Thomas/Thomasina....?

Well, now I can't help but think that this may be some kind of desperate fundie code. Jessa is going to keep having children and naming them so that the first letters spell out a secret message.

Spurgeon
Henry
Ivy
Thomas

George
Emil
Theodore

Marigold
Edmund

Olive
Ulee
Tulip