IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you think about it, Jessa’s parents did something similar when naming their children. Almost all the boys got biblical names. While the girls got names like Jinger or Jana (not biblical).

Maybe they realized that too many of the women whose names are mentioned in the Bible don't quite fit their theology (women leaders, deacons, not obviously submissive enough, etc.), have names JB and Michelle couldn't possibly spell or remember, or are named Mary. How many female names starting with J are even in the Bible?

3 minutes ago, frugalitymom said:

I just realized she was born on Grandma Mary’s birthday and Joy’s anniversary. She was due June 5th isn’t that one of the M’s birthdays?

Give it another decade and there will be a birthday almost every day of the year.

Ivy Jane is very cute, and I love the name. I keep hoping Jessa will one day look at her cute kids and realize that in order to keep being the kind of mother she wants to be, she can't have a huge number of kids. 

• Upvote 20

I think spurgeon came about because it was the first son  and Jessa was trying to be a good helpmeet.  Ben seemed a lot prouder of it during interviews   I think I remember really not even saying Spurgeon for a long time. She called him Quincey? I think she picked the middle name. Also Jessa help picked Jordyns name so I think that speaks to her style maybe getting more classic with Henry and Ivy rather than out there with Spurgeon.

Jessa in my opinion didn't establish her doninance until during the second year of marriage. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

I’m glad everyone seems healthy, but that’s about it. I can’t bring myself to be happy that another child has been born into this family or their cult. Ivy can have the sweetest name or be the most adorable child to ever live and it won’t really matter. She’s still going to be raised by and surrounded by people with seriously hateful beliefs, while her life options will likely be constrained to “future wife and mother.” She’s not even a week old and I already feel pity for that poor child.

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 2

Hmmm very clear hospital setting in the background: Routine check or....? Something went wrong. No mention of the hospital trip so far. 

048F2AD0-DA04-41C8-ABD3-779AC8CC4373.png

Edited by 19tacos&counting
Forgot to add the pic ?
  • Upvote 11

10 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Maybe they realized that too many of the women whose names are mentioned in the Bible don't quite fit their theology (women leaders, deacons, not obviously submissive enough, etc.), have names JB and Michelle couldn't possibly spell or remember, or are named Mary. How many female names starting with J are even in the Bible?

But very few of them have middle names that are biblical. So even if they couldn’t think of J names for females in the Bible, they could have given them biblical middle names. But instead they gave them middle names like Nicole, Lauren, Brooklyn, most likely because they just liked those names. 

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I adore your name. 

Aw thank you ? I think you either learn to love your name or you hate it. My brother name is Raven (which time and time again he was mistaken for a girl) 

One thing is you get use to all the nicknames: Chrissy, Sandy, Thia, Mummie. You will know what era someone knows you by what nick name they use for you too. You see that with Spurige 

Jessa wasn't like Jill and really wanting a girl. I am curious to see how she will handle it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Longhairedheathen said:

Aw thank you ? I think you either learn to love your name or you hate it. My brother name is Raven (which time and time again he was mistaken for a girl) 

One thing is you get use to all the nicknames: Chrissy, Sandy, Thia, Mummie. You will know what era someone knows you by what nick name they use for you too. You see that with Spurige 

Jessa wasn't like Jill and really wanting a girl. I am curious to see how she will handle it. 

People keep saying this and I don’t get it. I don’t remember Jill ever showing disappointment over the fact that she had boys. I remember Cathy being kind of a jerk on the show about Sam being a boy during the sex reveal, but that’s about it. Is there something specific you’re remembering? 

• Upvote 14

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

People keep saying this and I don’t get it. I don’t remember Jill ever showing disappointment over the fact that she had boys. I remember Cathy being kind of a jerk on the show about Sam being a boy during the sex reveal, but that’s about it. Is there something specific you’re remembering? 

I believe the reaction was "well, you can keep trying until you have a girl," or something to that effect.

• Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

The Dillards posted pictures of Ivy and they are at the seewalds house and Ivy is definitely not as cleaned up as the ones Guinn posted. My guess would be she got transferred to another location for postpartum care but not emergent as I would seriously hope they wouldn’t take posed pictures with the baby if Jessa was being rushed to the hospital 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

I think Chrysanthemum is a beautiful name. As are all the nicknames mentioned.

I personally think Spurgeon is not. Nor are his nicknames. If he ends up in a public school you know he's going to have embarrassing nicknames like Sturgeon, Purge On, and probably a little later, Spooge. And nothing that rhymes with "virgin" is going to get out of High School without some teasing. Unless maybe he's captain of the football team or something. He's a really adorable kid, but that name... it just looks ugly to me written, sounds ugly to me spoken, and has so much potential for teasing. I hope he isn't bothered and doesn't get teased or bullied, but wow does his name hand the ammunition right over.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I don't think so, it IS their 1st little girl, and odds are they WILL have more kids. I remember someone saying something similar to me when my DD was born, she said "ah your 1st daughter" and I replied "and my last", and we both laughed. 

I mean my husband IS my first husband, but I don't think he'd be very happy if I started referring to him that way! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 37
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

If he ends up in a public school you know he's going to have embarrassing nicknames like Sturgeon, Purge On, and probably a little later, Spooge. 

That is something that I don't think he will have to worry about. I don't feel like the Seewalds will ever send their kids to public school. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I own it: I think it sucks that Ivy didn't get, at the very least, a name that is remotely after some sort of theological figure or missionary, like Henry and Spurgeon. Unless they announce some connection that I haven't made yet, (which I will own, because just because I can't make that connection doesn't mean it doesn't exist], I think it sucks and is sexist that she, too, doesn't deserve a name that in some way ties to her brothers and the faith of her parents.

ETA: I think Ivy Jane, in and of itself, is a delightful name, but it's just a disappointment that she wasn't named for a hero of the faith, like her brothers.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 8

50 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I adore your name. 

Ok, ok, @Longhairedheathen, laugh at this question if you must but is Chrysanthemum your actual name (which I would love as it’s one of my favorite flowers and allows for some pretty nicknames as well) or did you use it as an example for your equally rare name? Anyways, I love it! 

ETA: Petunia is Lily Potter’s mean sister, but I’m sure Chrysanthemum could have been Harry’s lovely aunt.   

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I own it: I think it sucks that Ivy didn't get, at the very least, a name that is remotely after some sort of theological figure or missionary, like Henry and Spurgeon. Unless they announce some connection that I haven't made yet, (which I will own, because just because I can't make that connection doesn't mean it doesn't exist], I think it sucks and is sexist that she, too, doesn't deserve a name that in some way ties to her brothers and the faith of her parents.

Girls are always lesser in their worlds, even down to being given a name. The boys get strong, masculine Biblical names they will grow into, and the girls receive very girly, flouncy names to ensure the world knows they are girly girls who want to be wives and mothers. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

Sorry, my mistake.

Edited by FluffySnowball

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I have a question for those in the US and still birthing babies. The last 3 Duggar and assoc. babies have all been born early (maybe even Gideon too...). IIRC, Jinger mentioned that she went to her MW with the concern of having a big baby based on the sizes of her sisters’  babies, and the MW ok’d an early induction. Is this a new practice? I have been out of nicu work for nearly 5 years and this practice at that time was very much frowned upon, as some of the sickest babies are those born near term 36-39 weeks, particularly in that 37-38 week range. I’m just wondering if this is a recent change in standard practice? If you go to your doctor or MW at 37 or 38 weeks because you are concerned about fetal size or your own comfort level while otherwise having a healthy pregnancy, would your HCP induce or strip membranes to initiate labor?

My OB was concerned with my son’s size and she just ordered extra monitoring. The practice I go to will not induce before 40wks without a medical reason. I was induced at 40.5wks. 

With my daughter I had Placenta Previa and had a scheduled CSection at 39wks. They typically automatically deliver at 36wks with Previa but as I had no bleeding she let me go to 39wks with biweekly monitoring and the understanding that ifi hadany bleeding after 36wks I would deliver immediately.

• Thank You 7

14 minutes ago, viii said:

Girls are always lesser in their worlds, even down to being given a name. The boys get strong, masculine Biblical names they will grow into, and the girls receive very girly, flouncy names to ensure the world knows they are girly girls who want to be wives and mothers. 

The Duggars aren’t the only ones that do this. Even non fundies do this shit.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 14

20 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I agree with this sentiment entirely. On the other, Jessa and Ben have experienced a major branding shift since Spurgeon's birth (note that I specifically said branding, not beliefs). Spurgeon was born when they were still very fire and brimstone on their social media and very open about their heinous beliefs. Since then, Jessa has become more of a generic Christian mommy influencer, and has focused more on her life as a brand and I don't know that overtly theological names fit that brand anymore. 

I'll be interested in the name if Seewald #4 is a boy, but as of now I could see it going either way. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

I love the name! She's adorable. 

It will be in to see how Jessa and Ben parent a girl. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Most of the Duggar sons have first and middle names that are biblical (unless they are named after a family member EX: Garrett and Robert). Most of the Duggar girls have non biblical first and middle names.

The Bateses named some of their boys what I would call hyper masculine names (Courage, Warden, Justice). And then gave many of their daughters names that are diminutives of other names (Ellie, Callie, Katie, Josie).

Its not only a part of Fundie culture but US culture at large.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

Oh shit. Guys. Guys. There isn't a chance that Ivy is named after Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, is there?

...I feel sick.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 18
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Wouldn’t it flow much better: Elliot, Henry and Ivy?

Of course it would.  Nothing flows with Spurgeon.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic