IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

My homemade pizzas are usually pretty ugly...but they taste really good! I'd never post a picture of them. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

I think the pizzas look fine. I’d eat them. 

certainly better than a lot of other stuff Jill has posted 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

The cheese is way overbaked but might be juuuuust this side of still edible.

I think they just used some cheddar on the pizzas and not mozzarella. Or maybe a combo of the two cheeses. I've definitely done that before when making homemade pizza because I love cheese and maybe ran out of the mozzarella. I'd eat that [any] pizza. 

On the whole, I'm far less disturbed by Jill's food posts than many others. If I were advising her on IG strategies, I'd absolutely suggest more plated pictures and less full dishes. That's hard to make look good for casseroles, but it's also hard to get a good picture of a full casserole dish. 

The difference in picture quality seems primarily to be that her new kitchen has a better white balance when photographed. If she'd just adjusted the photo to be cooler on the white balance editing tool, they would have looked way better. But I also am not super bothered by low-fi food pics. As I posted in Karlin's thread, the overly-staged influencer IG look is starting to go away with more normal, unedited posts doing better. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

It took me a really long while to learn that mozzarella can also be found in shredded form. You can only really find mozzarella balls here. We just put edam on our pizzas here. Though, I'm a bit of a snob and prefer emmental.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I love root beer. I have had some that isn't that good and some that is to die for. Good root beer is delicious. 

Root beer just seems to be such an American taste thing. No matter how "good" the root beer I've had has been, they all just taste varying levels of mouthwash!

Then again, I'm not sure if a lot of people would like viili, no matter what brand or flavour... but I love it to heavens! (it's this stretchy fermented milk product)

• Disgust 1

6 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

It took me a really long while to learn that mozzarella can also be found in shredded form. You can only really find mozzarella balls here. We just put edam on our pizzas here. Though, I'm a bit of a snob and prefer emmental.

Root beer just seems to be such an American taste thing. No matter how "good" the root beer I've had has been, they all just taste varying levels of mouthwash!

Then again, I'm not sure if a lot of people would like viili, no matter what brand or flavour... but I love it to heavens! (it's this stretchy fermented milk product)

I never heard of  it. The one drink I do not like is cream soda. It tastes weird. 

• I Agree 2

1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

I never heard of  it. The one drink I do not like is cream soda. It tastes weird. 

Viili seems to only be a Finnish/Swedish thing. It's not even a drink, but a snack. But fermented milk, i.e. piimä, that's great stuff. Love it. Can't stand regular milk at all, but the fermented stuff is something I likey.

I can agree on the cream soda.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Cheddar cheese does not belong on a pizza. It is a fine cheese. But not a pizza cheese.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

15 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I love cream soda!  I’m not much of a pop drinker but sometimes o crave it.  Makes the best floats, too.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I love cream soda!  I’m not much of a pop drinker but sometimes o crave it.  Makes the best floats, too.

I guess to each his own! ?

• I Agree 2

12 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Cheddar cheese does not belong on a pizza. It is a fine cheese. But not a pizza cheese.

Cheddar cheese is an abomination that I am convinced was invested by accident, someone assumed it was food, and now everyone is too askhamed to admit it is not, in fact, food.

no i don’t have insane opinions about everyday foodstuffs, why do you ask?

• Haha 10

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Cheddar cheese is an abomination that I am convinced was invested by accident, someone assumed it was food, and now everyone is too askhamed to admit it is not, in fact, food.

I love cheddar, but I love just about every kind of cheese. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

So what lucky law practice or hate group will Derick bless with his presence this summer?

• Haha 16

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

... I am not a huge cheese lover. (veering to the side of squicked out by the smellier mold coated ones). I am pretty opinionated pizza lover.

I understand. I grew up with a weird opinionated picky food person father who, in addition to raising us vegetarian, insisted we try everything on our plate.

When he only liked certain things. And insisted my mom (who was a damn good cook) always make everything "the same"

... It led to some bred food issues

(including the pizza opinions :))

But don't you hate all cheese?

• Upvote 3

I saw this thread was hot and was like "... dear god", but instead it's just talking about cheese. 

I love this board. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 20
  • I Agree 4

I like British, matured cheddar. American cheddar is just weird.

But, honestly, I don't get why you should cheese shame anyone. People prefer different things, are used to different things or just cannot acquire a certain, more "proper" cheese. Pizza's just pizza, it's not an elitist game.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 12
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 3

15 minutes ago, viii said:

I saw this thread was hot and was like "... dear god", but instead it's just talking about cheese. 

I love this board. 

when I saw it was hot I figured people would think Jill was due with Number three and had to chuckle because nope we're talking cheese here.  the things that can make a thread hot. better cheese then a baby LOL

Edited by Ivycoveredtower
  • I Agree 2

55 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My sister loves  the flavors cream and birch beer.  Has anyone tried Moxie?

Edited by Granwych
Stupid autocorrect
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I have a lovely jar collection of jars I have saved after using the original contents. I am always on the look out for a nicer one. I use them to store sauces or salad dressing that are leftover after meals instead of wasting space in a larger container. I also am trying to phase out my super old plastic containers as they break/warp/become totally unusable and replace them with glass ones. The Ikea ones are actually quite nice and have held up pretty well for me over the last five years.

As for Jills meal: I would actually serve that as a main dish for us. We try to eat less meat and sometimes a nice baked potato with veggies gets the job done. I would of course pre-cook the large potatoes and then add the veggies, but I really don't see what would be wrong with serving that dish and trying to institute a "Meatless Monday" type thing? We try to do "Meaty Mondays" and restrict buying our meat to one meal per week. That is much easier in the summer when salads are a whole meal, but winter is still tripping me up. Also I had to add in meat on our Tuesdays because I have a "70's Shag and Flair" Night where I am cooking every* recipe from a cookbook my mom got in 1979 or so. It is amazing and fun and honestly some of the recipes really hold up! I love that cookbook.

*almost every because no, just no, I will not eat liver, however, if I ever need to, I have a recipe ;)

I've done baked potato nights but we add cheese and sour cream (and to be truthful, bacon ;-), although if you twisted my arm I could give that part up).  Or chili... something with protein, at least.  Right now dh is doing keto again and won't even touch potatoes so no way that would work in any case.    

• Upvote 3

Lol.  You gotta admit that cheese is often more interesting than the Dillards.  I'll take some nice sharp cheddar, ripe Brie, nutty Swiss, cream Havarti, Gouda, mozzarella, sharp Parmesan, even the old refrigerated Velveeta.   No moldy or wormy cheese.  Goat cheese is good, too.

a nice white pizza with mozzarella and ricotta.  Wonder if Jill has ever tasted any really good cheese.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

I'm pleasantly surprised we haven't had an announcement from Jill, and I hope we don't for at least some time.  Jill's seemed to be turning the corner recently, and I've started to think that the combined force of adjusting to marriage, new motherhood, living internationally, coming home, new baby, new "career" path for Derick, and no longer filming were too much for her.  It was A LOT packed into a very short time frame, and I think she found herself underwater.  But I think being in AR and having Derick in various "school"-type programs (the Cro$$Church thing and then law school) have given her some normalcy, and she's begun to find her footing again in her life.  She kind of seemed to lose herself for a bit.

Anyways, I hope it continues and that she's able to find happiness in her life.  And I think not having a new baby and the stresses that come with that will help both her and Derick find something that works for them.  Honestly, I think two kids is probably a good number for those two, and I know they probably wont, but I hope they decide that their family is complete as it is.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

A Shag and Flair Night!  I wish we lived close and could be friends.  If not, I would invite myself over.  Liver is pure evil.  I was 5 years old in 1979, and mom made liver and onions one night.  I have never eaten it again.  That smell will haunt my dreams forever.

Ugh.  I tried liver and it had the texture of a sponge.  Good thing Grampwych doesn't request it too often.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'm pleasantly surprised we haven't had an announcement from Jill, and I hope we don't for at least some time.  Jill's seemed to be turning the corner recently, and I've started to think that the combined force of adjusting to marriage, new motherhood, living internationally, coming home, new baby, new "career" path for Derick, and no longer filming were too much for her.  It was A LOT packed into a very short time frame, and I think she found herself underwater.  But I think being in AR and having Derick in various "school"-type programs (the Cro$$Church thing and then law school) have given her some normalcy, and she's begun to find her footing again in her life.  She kind of seemed to lose herself for a bit.

Anyways, I hope it continues and that she's able to find happiness in her life.  And I think not having a new baby and the stresses that come with that will help both her and Derick find something that works for them.  Honestly, I think two kids is probably a good number for those two, and I know they probably wont, but I hope they decide that their family is complete as it is.  

honestly if she'd had a girl I could see her maybe stopping after her bad births, but  I don't see her stopping until she at least gets a girl.  Derick might be happy stopping now I mean two boys it's what he's used to how he grew up but I Jill I think she'll have at least four. push her c-sections as far as they can go. 

• Upvote 3

• Georgiana locked this topic