IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

31 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

I'm trying to read the faded subliminal message bible verse underneath the bible verse.

I see "Give" "Thanks" and "Truly"

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Awww, I'm sorry you hate rootbeer floats.  That was something I'd fix for my son as a treat during the summer months - he loved rootbeer, he loved vanilla ice cream, and the two together was double the goodness according to him.  I liked them too, because it didn't cost much to buy a six-pack of rootbeer and a pint of good vanilla ice cream.  So easy to make him happy :)

In the summers I make Guinness floats cuz stout and vanilla ice cream is pretty damn good together lol

• Upvote 5

So she cooks it all together. Wouldn’t the onions and carrots be over cooked and shriveled up by the time those huge potatoes were thoroughly cooked?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So she cooks it all together. Wouldn’t the onions and carrots be over cooked and shriveled up by the time those huge potatoes were thoroughly cooked?

Yup! That's why they make cute tiny potatoes. They're also tastier in dishes like this. Altho, if I was making it I'd probably use tiny potatoes and pearl onions cuz it looks fancier. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

I wonder how much the improved quality of her pictures in our perception is simply that, in the new house, she has a prettier backdrop against which to show them off, with plenty of light and a lack of clutter. It will be interesting to see if she can maintain the spotlessness to keep showing off "better" recipe pictures.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

She acts like herbs are something she just discovered lol.

Omg HERBS guys! Can anyone relate? #someonerelatewithme 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 33

9 hours ago, finnlassie said:

In any case, I've learnt to recycle and hoard glass jars and containers even though I have NO clue how to make jam or pickle stuff (though I'm learning how to make mustard soon from grandma, so, maybe soon some will be filled...). So I'm saving suitable ones til I get married so I can just use them for flowers. I'm cheap. I wanna be as zero budget as possible and recycle as much as I can.

You might have more success finding Weck brand jars in Europe, rather than the Ball brand you’re thinking of here. Weck jars use a rubber gasket, glass lid, and clip system, not the metal lid and ring system like American style canning jars. There is some debate on rubber seals and clips being safe for canning, but they’re perfectly fine for jams and pickles - those are typically water bath canned. Pressure canned items (vegetables, meats typically) are maybe not as well suited for gasket and clip jars. 

There are a lot of unsafe canning blogs/sites online - there are things you cannot can ever, pH and density matter, as do processing styles and times. I love recipe blogs - canning is not the time/place for those. For safe, tested canning recipes and procedures, check out:

Ball website for safe canning recipes and how to’s. Ball is the leading seller of jars and recipes for home canning:

https://www.freshpreserving.com/canning-101-getting-started.html

The US government also runs a National Center for Home Food Preservation out of a university in Georgia. The recipes and methods from this place are all tested and safe:

https://nchfp.uga.edu/

There is also a Facebook group called “canning” that is for safe recipe support. 

In in case you can’t tell by me emphasizing “safe,” there are folks out there who can dairy, pasta, and other things for which there is no safe tested procedure. You run the risk of botulism, among other things, when not following procedure and tested safe recipes. It seems scary but I taught myself from online and current books - you can too!

ETA I’m drinking water out of a Weck juice canning jar right now so I guess I’m a fancy red neck  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Virago
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

I wonder what it looked like when it came out of the oven and was plated? 

• I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder what it looked like when it came out of the oven and was plated? 

If you go to her stories you can see what it looks like out of the oven but not plated. 

I think a lot of the improved quality of her pictures is coming from the new backdrop. She appears to have natural light in this kitchen, the countertop is more aesthetically pleasing, and of course it is a brand new house so it is cleaner. Her old kitchen was dingy, looked like it had fluorescent lighting, and the countertops were far from attractive. Jill seems to like to just take the photos right where she makes the food so the new kitchen has made a big difference in her photos.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

And why didn’t she slice up the potatoes and make them the same size as the rest of the items in the dish before she baked them, so that the pieces would cook evenly? I looked on her IG stories and only saw the uncooked dish.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I'm trying to read the faded subliminal message bible verse underneath the bible verse.

I read  Give Thanks in All Things

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I feel like Jill realizes she has a chance to make the food look better in the new kitchen. I know they didn't have a ton of counter space before but it still seemed like she wasn't even trying. Now she's added the chalkboard. Jill is getting Pinteresty y'all. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

OK, Derrick (sp) is a dick. And whatever happened to him doesn't excuse his public posturing as a dick.

But really--I know someone whose father died and they didn't become a dick? My father died and I didn't become a dick? My grandpa died and grandma didn't become a dick? That's almost as judgmental as --whatever it is we're calling however you spell Derrick and Jill these days.
It's like saying--I know somebody who got hit by a car, and they didn't need a hip replacement. I know somebody who had brain surgery, and it didn't make them crazy. There's so, so much about Derrick (sp?) that is disgusting, and I have no idea if his evilness came from the death of his father (personally, I'm thinking Cathy), but it just annoys the hell out of me to always here that someone else's tragedy shouldn't have affected them in an adverse way because hell, it didn't to me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11

@Virago Yeah, I know those jars, but I'm not gonna purchase any. I'm going to use the glass jars I've bought and then cleaned after use.

• Upvote 1

I have a lovely jar collection of jars I have saved after using the original contents. I am always on the look out for a nicer one. I use them to store sauces or salad dressing that are leftover after meals instead of wasting space in a larger container. I also am trying to phase out my super old plastic containers as they break/warp/become totally unusable and replace them with glass ones. The Ikea ones are actually quite nice and have held up pretty well for me over the last five years.

As for Jills meal: I would actually serve that as a main dish for us. We try to eat less meat and sometimes a nice baked potato with veggies gets the job done. I would of course pre-cook the large potatoes and then add the veggies, but I really don't see what would be wrong with serving that dish and trying to institute a "Meatless Monday" type thing? We try to do "Meaty Mondays" and restrict buying our meat to one meal per week. That is much easier in the summer when salads are a whole meal, but winter is still tripping me up. Also I had to add in meat on our Tuesdays because I have a "70's Shag and Flair" Night where I am cooking every* recipe from a cookbook my mom got in 1979 or so. It is amazing and fun and honestly some of the recipes really hold up! I love that cookbook.

*almost every because no, just no, I will not eat liver, however, if I ever need to, I have a recipe ;)

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

. Also I had to add in meat on our Tuesdays because I have a "70's Shag and Flair" Night where I am cooking every* recipe from a cookbook my mom got in 1979 or so. It is amazing and fun and honestly some of the recipes really hold up! I love that cookbook.

*almost every because no, just no, I will not eat liver, however, if I ever need to, I have a recipe ;)

A Shag and Flair Night!  I wish we lived close and could be friends.  If not, I would invite myself over.  Liver is pure evil.  I was 5 years old in 1979, and mom made liver and onions one night.  I have never eaten it again.  That smell will haunt my dreams forever.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, finnlassie said:

@Virago Yeah, I know those jars, but I'm not gonna purchase any. I'm going to use the glass jars I've bought and then cleaned after use.

Those are great for storing leftovers and refrigerated recipes, but canning lids are one time use items (except Weck’s, which are reusable). Canning jams/pickles isn’t filling jars and then putting a lid on it - it’s filling with your product and then processing so as to drive the air out of the jar and create a vacuum seal, while also heating the jars contents to a specific point to kill bacteria, yeast, etc., so that the final jar is shelf stable. If you have saved the lids that match these jars, they’re not safe to reuse to can with (but they are perfectly safe to store food going straight into the refrigerator).

Most jars that folks save don’t have threads and openings that fit the standard canning lids available. Certain mayo and spaghetti sauce jars sold in the US are standardized to be able to be reused for canning, but the majority of glass jars sold around the world don’t fit the specific lids you need to use to can. 

I just dont don’t want you to be disappointed if you go to start to learn to can, only to find the jars you have been saving don’t fit the specific kinds of lids you need to use for canning something to be safely shelf stable. I think it’s great you’re saving the jars for reuse, but canning jams and pickles safely may not be one of them. 

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Also I had to add in meat on our Tuesdays because I have a "70's Shag and Flair" Night where I am cooking every* recipe from a cookbook my mom got in 1979 or so. It is amazing and fun and honestly some of the recipes really hold up! I love that cookbook.

Now you've done it.  Because I cannot move past a post about 70s food without linking one of my favorite novelty twitter accounts: 70's Dinner Party!

Strong stomachs advised:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

Derick finished his first year of law school and Jill made some pizza which does not look that appetizing. 

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 1

As a Brooklynite: I'm offended that she called that 'pizza'. It's not.

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

That is a lot of people for 3.5 people. In my house it would be perfect for the 4 of us, DH & DS can eat an entire pizza that size by themselves, and DD & I would split the other one. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:48 AM, Four is Enough said:

Oh, @finnlassie, you haven't had the Good root beer!

I love root beer. I have had some that isn't that good and some that is to die for. Good root beer is delicious. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

The pizzas don't look the best but they probably taste ok, I have made homemade pizzas that don't look great but have tasted fine.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

• Georgiana locked this topic