IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

@ Finnlassie - if he's like my brother, he'll spend til he's past that age to feel like he is living.

We both were afraid we would die under 50.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

I wonder how many animal crackers the boys are allowed per day 

Are they allowed Diet Pepsi?  

Have they ever revenenced a cheese paper sandwich?  

Will Derick command that Jill remove all meat from her "Walker Creamy Burritos"?  

Dillards... could they become the future Maxwells 2.0?  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Will Derick command that Jill remove all meat from her "Walker Creamy Burritos"?  

well one thing we know won't happen is Derick won't get a Vasectomy and then a reversal so their will be no reversal babies. LMAO

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, finnlassie said:

In other news, I'm so jelly of mason jars and mason jar mugs re: Jill's instagram. They're so expensive here. Impossible to find. I've been drooling over them ever since I got Pinterest 6 years ago and started my wedding board as a single hopeless romantic. :my_angel:

With no offense meant, that’s so weird to me. There’s a reason why they’re associated with “country” decor. Poor rural people couldn’t afford canned goods or glasses, so they drank out of the Mason jars that weren’t currently holding food. My parents would have been horrified if I wanted to use them at my wedding, and my grandparents would have rolled over in their graves.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

A box of a dozen jelly or pint jars is around $10 at Meijer, sometimes less. I buy boxes of plastic caps to use after they're opened, and usually end up using them for all kinds of things. 

The mugs are a bit odd to me; pretend jars that probably cost more than the thing they're emulating? But okay.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Greendoor said:

@ Finnlassie - if he's like my brother, he'll spend til he's past that age to feel like he is living. 

We both were afraid we would die under 50. 

Yeah, it's gonna be difficult, especially as heart failure kinda runs in the family. I'm already stressing about helping him have a lifestyle that minimises risks, but I don't want to control him. I'm just so worried, because we're very marriage oriented in this relationship, I can't imagine living the rest of my life with someone else. But if he passes in his mid 50s too, I'm already feeling devastated in a way. I feel like my mourning process has more to do with this.

11 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

With no offense meant, that’s so weird to me. There’s a reason why they’re associated with “country” decor. Poor rural people couldn’t afford canned goods or glasses, so they drank out of the Mason jars that weren’t currently holding food. My parents would have been horrified if I wanted to use them at my wedding, and my grandparents would have rolled over in their graves.

No offense taken. I guess that's sort of the thing though - it's never really been a thing here in Finland. Our association towards (American style) mason jars and so on, largely comes from the romanticised image of them. Country, boho chic, cute, exotic in its own way. Other than seeing it as wedding decor, I've done some digging and found the connection to moonshine.

In any case, I've learnt to recycle and hoard glass jars and containers even though I have NO clue how to make jam or pickle stuff (though I'm learning how to make mustard soon from grandma, so, maybe soon some will be filled...). So I'm saving suitable ones til I get married so I can just use them for flowers. I'm cheap. I wanna be as zero budget as possible and recycle as much as I can.

This makes me remember Derelict & Jill's wedding. And specifically the root bear floats. They're so disgusting, well, root beer in my opinion is just so disgusting. Tastes like carbonated mouthwash.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 2

My mom died when I was 26 and my brother was 31. She had cancer, so she had been sick for about 2-3 years before dying so it wasn't a "surprise". But she still was doing great and doing good and then seemingly overnight was just NOT doing good anymore and kind of rapidly declined. I think I've mentioned this, but she died just three months before my wedding, which really kind of tainted the entire wedding and happiest day ever type of feeling.

Anyway, my brother is kind of emotionally immature and just could not cope with his grief. He turned to being an incredible asshat to me in the days before and following her death. As my parents weren't married, my brother and I were responsible for all the logistical stuff - the cremation, the bank type of stuff, paying off her car/getting her title, etc. Throughout everything we were trying to get done together, he treated me like absolute shit. So in the middle of my personal grief, I had to deal with my brother being a douchebag, and idiots like this woman at the bank who told me i was too young to lose my mom (*eyeroll*). 

I don't think it's okay that my brother acted the way he did towards me, but I understood why it was happening. I don't condone his behavior, but I was able to not take it personally and just kind of stomach his BS for a week or two, because I didn't want to make his grief worse. However, if I saw that he started treating other people badly, I would have 100% told him to cut it out. Unfortunately, because of their patriarchal values, I'm sure even if Jill did/does witness things that Derick does that she doesn't agree with, she would not be able to speak up to him about it.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 12

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

. And specifically the root bear floats. They're so disgusting, well, root beer in my opinion is just so disgusting. Tastes like carbonated mouthwash.

I love root beer but it's definitely an acquired taste.  A lot of people -including my European born father - think it tastes like toothpaste.  One of the main ingredients is wintergreen.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, @finnlassie, you haven't had the Good root beer!

18 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I love root beer but it's definitely an acquired taste.  A lot of people -including my European born father - think it tastes like toothpaste.  One of the main ingredients is wintergreen.

I've had multiple different types of root beer when I dated a dude from Virginia, and by my Scotland bestie (... who's half American half German, raised in Louisiana) I was introduced to the "good stuff". Don't remember the brand. But it was utterly disgusting. But then again, I love Irn Bru, but a lot of peeps find it disgusting. Dr. Pepper is the same. I hate it so much, but some love it, I don't know people who are "meh" inbetween. Acquired tastes for sure.

• Upvote 3

I tried Big Red for the first time recently and found it disgusting. I know a lot of people swear by it but for me it was awful. I couldn’t finish the can and gave the rest away.

• I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I tried Big Red for the first time recently and found it disgusting. I know a lot of people swear by it but for me it was awful. I couldn’t finish the can and gave the rest away.

when I started reading this I thought you were talking about the gum, had no clue there was also a pop with that name. which also reminds me that it's been years since I chewed big red chewing gum. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, @finnlassie, you haven't had the Good root beer!

Ime, many (most?) Europeans do not like root beer. I worked in a job that involved giving out root beer (tourist industry) and could tell the Europeans by their faces after taking the first sip. They'd usually say something like it tastes like medicine/toothpaste and ALWAYS asked about guns. They were also shocked when I would say that I have never had one or fired one before. To be fair though, the town was very western and everyone who actually lived there was packing one or more guns. 

• Upvote 5

As side from the actual lack of herbs and the stupid quote, that doesn't look bad. I'd actually make something like that.

• Upvote 7

That's a lot of very big potatoes.  Hope they are expecting friends for dinner and that's a side dish and not just the main meal for the 4 of them.

• I Agree 5

That's a lot of very big potatoes.  Hope they are expecting friends for dinner and that's a side dish and not just the main meal for the 4 of them.

I thought it was chicken [emoji2360]
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 18

2 minutes ago, Heidijoey said:

I thought it was chicken emoji2360.png

I thought it was chicken at first too but now I'm pretty sure it's giant potato's

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My mom died when I was 26 and my brother was 31. She had cancer, so she had been sick for about 2-3 years before dying so it wasn't a "surprise". But she still was doing great and doing good and then seemingly overnight was just NOT doing good anymore and kind of rapidly declined. I think I've mentioned this, but she died just three months before my wedding, which really kind of tainted the entire wedding and happiest day ever type of feeling.

Anyway, my brother is kind of emotionally immature and just could not cope with his grief. He turned to being an incredible asshat to me in the days before and following her death. As my parents weren't married, my brother and I were responsible for all the logistical stuff - the cremation, the bank type of stuff, paying off her car/getting her title, etc. Throughout everything we were trying to get done together, he treated me like absolute shit. So in the middle of my personal grief, I had to deal with my brother being a douchebag, and idiots like this woman at the bank who told me i was too young to lose my mom (*eyeroll*). 

I don't think it's okay that my brother acted the way he did towards me, but I understood why it was happening. I don't condone his behavior, but I was able to not take it personally and just kind of stomach his BS for a week or two, because I didn't want to make his grief worse. However, if I saw that he started treating other people badly, I would have 100% told him to cut it out. Unfortunately, because of their patriarchal values, I'm sure even if Jill did/does witness things that Derick does that she doesn't agree with, she would not be able to speak up to him about it.

My Narssacist sister did exactly the same. She even gave the funeral directors a code for family/friends  to quote if they wanted info for my Dads funeral.  We both organised Mums funeral 4 weeks previously so they knew me equally as well. I had to phone a local vicar ( whom I had met just once at a family christening a year previously), tell her what had happened.  She got in touch with the funeral director to find out Dads funeral date, (as her second in command was scheduled to conduct Dads funeral), then let me know. She could not believe just how badly my sister was behaving. Neither could the funeral directors. 

I'm sending  you huge cyber hugs Front hugs>Duggs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

It’s a nice photo, but how many of us zoomed in to determine what it was?  I also agree with the thoughts on the volume, and hope they were having guests, and it was balanced with something healthier. However, if that was he case, why wouldn’t Jill plate an entire meal and photograph it?

• Upvote 3

I'm trying to read the faded subliminal message bible verse underneath the bible verse.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Bite your tongue--one set of Maxwells.is.more than enough.

• Haha 8

The rest of Jill's meal may have been hot dogs or bbq tuna or something not worthy of a photo. It may be challenging for a busy newer cook to try for more than one 'fancy' recipe at a time. It always was for me.

• Upvote 3

here is the recipe  from their website. 

Serves 4-6 adults

8 medium potatoes, washed & scrubbed

2 cups baby carrots

1 onion, peeled & sliced

1/2 lemon, washed & sliced

3 T. garlic, minced

fresh rosemary

fresh thyme

olive oil

water

salt & pepper

Add potatoes, carrots & onions to casserole dish. Add a little water. to the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Lay lemon slices on top and sprinkle with herbs and minced garlic. Bake at 400 degrees for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve potatoes with the cooked veggies, grated cheese, sour cream and whatever else you like on top of your baked potatoes (we love jalapeños and hot sauce too!). 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

7 hours ago, finnlassie said:

This makes me remember Derelict & Jill's wedding. And specifically the root bear floats. They're so disgusting, well, root beer in my opinion is just so disgusting. Tastes like carbonated mouthwash

Awww, I'm sorry you hate rootbeer floats.  That was something I'd fix for my son as a treat during the summer months - he loved rootbeer, he loved vanilla ice cream, and the two together was double the goodness according to him.  I liked them too, because it didn't cost much to buy a six-pack of rootbeer and a pint of good vanilla ice cream.  So easy to make him happy :)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

• Georgiana locked this topic