IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

If Derick didn't like the way the Duggar family do things, why did he approach them to find a wife? 

I always believed that DD approached JB for some sort of sponsorship disguised as, and referred to a “prayer partner” for his Himalayan mission trip. Personally, I do not think that DD’s original intent was to troll for a wife. To me, DD presented as one of those young 20’s, fresh out of college, rather awkward and immature guys that did not even know that woman existed. He seemed far more interested in bumming around Asia, climbing mountains, probably hanging out in the same clothing for days on end, and avoiding having to deal with the big, busy, work world and life that awaited him back in the US. Maybe he used the time to finally start processing the sudden loss of his dad.

• Upvote 9

I think both Ben and Derick did not know that Josh abused his sister's or didn't know the full extent until it was outed and then Jessa and Jill were the ones that faced the media instead of Josh. I think Derick has made Jill see in the past couple of years how shitty Jim Bob and Michelle were to her and she is beginning to break out of her shell. 

Not excusing Derrick's behaviour but I do credit him for at least making Jill see that she can wear trousers and have piercings if she wants and hopefully she does if she chooses to goes to a proper college to get the qualification she wanted. 

While we don't know for sure if she can have more children or not, most doctors recommend that you only don't have more than 3 or 4 c sections and chances are that she will not get a natural birth after 2 emergency c sections.

• Upvote 18

8 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

So, question for our non-US FJers. Is cottage cheese and pineapple a thing in any other countries? Canada? The UK?

Because, I think I've caught at least one pop culture reference to it in a UK television show. (Long winded sci-fi television show quote under spoiler.)

Reveal hidden contents

RED DWARF - SERIES 7 EPISODE 4 -- "DUCT SOUP"

February 7, 1997

[The series follows the fortunes of Dave Lister, who is stranded three million years in the future, together with the hologrammatic representation of his former bunkmate and immediate superior Arnold Rimmer; a creature known only as Cat; and the ship's computer Holly. During Series II, the crew encounter a mechanoid called Kryten, who joins them from Series III onwards. In Series VII, Kristine Kochanski, Lister's former love interest, joins the crew, following the departure of Rimmer.]

KOCHANSKI

Look at this. This is a boys fridge. Women would never have fridges like this. Chilled trainers? It just wouldn't happen!

KRYTEN

What would you say to a glass of drinking chocolate?

KOCHANSKI

I'd say: "Glass of drinking chocolate, get me out of here!"

I can't live like this, I need a bath. I hate showers, I've always hated showers. Ask anyone who knows me what I hate, and do you know what they'll say??

KRYTEN

Erm, you hate showers?

KOCHANSKI

You see! Even you know and you hardly know me!

I need a bath. I need sleep; I need *clothes*; I need... cottage cheese with pineapple chunks in.

KRYTEN

Well, the next Space Corps. ship we come across ma'am, I'm sure we'll find some supplies.

Just call me curious, I guess. 

Bloody loved Red Dwarf. Not sure it has stood the test of time though!

Anyway, cottage cheese and pineapple is indeed a thing. Nowadays they sell it pre made in supermarkets, but when I was a kid you had to buy plain cottage cheese and mix in your own pineapple chunks. e.g. here https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-pineapple-cottage-cheese-300g

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

The word chunks is disgusting to me. I didn’t realize until this thread. Huh. Some people can’t stand moist, I can’t stand chunks. ?

Edited by Kailash
Fixed an extra space
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kailash said:

The word chunks is disgusting to me. I didn’t realize until this thread. Huh. Some people can’t stand moist, I can’t stand chunks. ?

I’m sorry ♥️

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’m sorry ♥️

You are too sweet! It was just a revelation of mine. ? I really had no idea there were any words related to food that gross me out. 

• Haha 6

@Kailash, I don't know that I've found any food-related words that gross me out, yet. It's good to remember that other people have some. :)

I guess I am pretty sick of the words "nourishing" and "slather", but that's just because Lori Alexander uses them TOO MUCH. :rolleyes:

ETA--I just remembered that Dole pineapple also comes in smaller pieces called "tidbits". I'll call it cottage cheese with pineapple tidbits from now on!

Spoiler

61JtWaQCuxL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.8eea4a2add02e2c1dac0e24a734cb051.jpg

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
ETA
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Just a caution about pineapple and Jello, which I love in combination. If you're using crushed pineapple, DRAIN IT THOROUGHLY. If there's too much pineapple juice mixed with the jello, it will not jell. Just a word of warning.....

and I've had jello salad with shredded carrots in it... not fabulous, but with the mayonnaise dressing..... not horrible, either... but I haven't had it since childhood..

• Upvote 5

@Four is Enough, I believe you also can't use any fresh pineapple, if you want your gelatin to gel. I think it's the enzyme papain that prevents gelling. (Side note, my mom's vet prescribed fresh pineapple juice for her cat's recurring hairball problems. The cat did not care for the juice at all, as you might imagine!)

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

Just now, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@Four is Enough, I believe you also can't use any fresh pineapple, if you want your gelatin to gel. I think it's the enzyme papain that prevents gelling. (Side note, my mom's vet prescribed fresh pineapple juice for her cat's recurring hairball problems. The cat did not care for the juice at all, as you might imagine!)

I learn so much here!

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 7

21 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

However, I would not really want to eat any jello salad with any meat products in it.

You know where Jello comes from, right?  ?

17 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

and I've had jello salad with shredded carrots in it... not fabulous, but with the mayonnaise dressing..... 

Mayo on Jello seems much, much worse than anything else mentioned in this thread so far. ?

I don't usually like things mixed into my cottage cheese, but pineapple might be ok. 

I also like my pineapple fresh, not from a can,  with Li hing mui powder, it's delicious. 

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

I just bought a pineapple yesterday and I'm keeping it in the sun today and tomorrow (the sun blasts to my apartment steadily 14-21, and Finnish summer means it's truly blasting time). I love, LOVE fresh pineapple, and I miss my days in Scotland when you could get one for a quid each in Aldi and 1,50£ at Morrisons :my_cry:

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

pineapple and cheddar cheese hedgehogs

Wait . . . what?  :popcorn2:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

And question for attorneys out there--it would be extremely unusual if Derick doesn't do some sort of legal internship/law related work this summer, right?

After the first year, it would not be unusual to not do anything because most places want someone who has finished their second year. They are also unlikely to pay a first year. A lot of people I know worked regular jobs during the summer because they needed the money. I did an unpaid internship the summer after my first year with the City Attorney’s Office but I didn’t do much other than watch trials and run between the office and the courthouse bringing documents. It was a good program because they took us to the morgue, the police academy and we did learn the basics of how arraignments and trials are conducted. First years can’t really help much in general because your knowledge of law is still minimal. Firms tend to not want them.

After second year, Derrick may do like I did and get externships at a government entity or public service organization where he will get class credit. I did it with the DAs office twice and got to conduct preliminary trials as a certified law clerk under the watch of an Assistant District Attorney. Externships tend to provide more hands-on experience than internships and look great on resumes. 

I know a few people who never did an internship or externship but they were rich kids who never intended to actually work as lawyers. Nearly everyone else will do one or the other at some point. 

• Thank You 9

I’ve been mixing pineapple and cottage cheese on my own for over a decade. People always thought I was weird for doing it. But I love it. 

• Upvote 8

Regarding the pineapple and cheese hedgehogs...I would probably love them!  I like pineapple on pizza, so it makes sense to me.  (Okay, let the vomit emojis commence...haha!)

Regarding, the Derrick situation and Jill post...it's interesting.  I hope that if Jill has been confronted by Kim Jong Boob or Michelle about the nose ring, pants, etc., she's been able to stand up for herself.  Also, I hope that the Duggar littles realize that just because Jill doesn't dress like them doesn't mean she's somehow "less than" in their eyes, especially the girls.  I am definitely NOT a Derrick fan, but if he encourages Jill, at least that's something. 

• Upvote 9

7 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

What is the foil for?!

I'm used to hedgehogs where watermelon is the base.

I just grabbed the first cute pic I saw. :) I guess the person used something you can't eat as a base, then covered it with foil? After I posted that, I saw others with a pineapple base, like this:824297e38f5ef6268df3bbec27881136.thumb.jpg.8fdfc60e7725257ad8609905d5dd4875.jpg

I guess I should look longer before I post! :D

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
emoji
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Yep. I definitely think that DD has let what he thinks about JB and M’s parenting tactics fly within the walls of the Dillards’ home. I think a great deal of the angst that we have seen in Jill is a direct result of her realizing that her parents approach was not necessarily the healthiest or best way. Her beliefs have likely not changed much, but I think Jill is beginning to see that one can be a good, Godly ( their word) person and have a formal education, read books, watch films, attend a brick and mortar church, wear pants, shorts, drive alone to WM, and maybe (fingers crossed) work for a living. I think she is beginning to see how she and her sibs were robbed of rich experiences that can be life altering and limiting. It has to be a shock to her.

Oh yeah it is a real slap in the face when you realize that your parents were wrong about, everything. I wasn't raised fundy by any standard, we were ebil Catholics, but my parents were none the less VERY STRICT and we were very controlled, but they believe in education, so I was lucky in that I figured out at 19, while attending  a liberal indoctrination center public University, and not at 27 and mom of 2. I knew well enough by then to "just smile and wave" when the right wing BS comes out and it ALWAYS does since my family is hyper political, it's unavoidable. 

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve been mixing pineapple and cottage cheese on my own for over a decade. People always thought I was weird for doing it. But I love it. 

Me too, I love it. If I'm really feeling wild and crazy, I'll ad a couple of maraschino cherries. 

Please no one tell me about what they are, I know, I pretend I don't, and I like it that way. :cherries:

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Cottage cheese and canned peaches is also very very good.

when I saw this thread was hot I was afraid Jill might be pregnant, I’m glad for her sake she’s not, I just think she should wait a bit longer, like until Derick has a paycheque.

Edited by Don'tlikekoolaid
Pregnancy thoughts
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

Just now, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Cottage cheese and canned peaches is also very very good.

Or canned mandarin oranges. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

43 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Please no one tell me about what they are, I know, I pretend I don't, and I like it that way

What does this mean?!  Am I about to ruin something I love by googling?

6 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Or canned mandarin oranges. 

Great - now I need to make ambrosia but I’m at work!

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Me too, I love it. If I'm really feeling wild and crazy, I'll ad a couple of maraschino cherries. 

Please no one tell me about what they are, I know, I pretend I don't, and I like it that way. :cherries:

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yes.  Sorry, but yes.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Great - now I need to make ambrosia but I’m at work!

Ambrosia is an actual thing? Why, I always thought it was some Sims sillyness!

• Haha 4

• Georgiana locked this topic