IGNORED

Alyssa & John 3: Modesty Make-Up

samurai_sarah

38 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Like none of these people have ever lied before? We’ve seen them all do it. I wouldn’t be surprised either way. 

Really? She had surgery two months ago, is currently having health problems, and is almost definitely taking meds that would harm a fetus. And you are expecting an announcement? I’d be very surprised if she had anything to announce.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I have no idea what bubble suits or jonjons are, so I decided to ask Google. Image search gave me a bunch of this, and nothing else, for bubble suits. I'm choosing to believe people in the South dress their kids like this! :)

grafik.png.a6e7d3d21122f8331eb6b104b3c3521f.png

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 25
  • Love 6

8 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Really? She had surgery two months ago, is currently having health problems, and is almost definitely taking meds that would harm a fetus. And you are expecting an announcement? I’d be very surprised if she had anything to announce.

I didn’t say I was expecting one. I said I would not be shocked if there was one. My daughter in law has the same condition and has had the same surgery.  This is the sister of someone who is shocked every time she finds out she is pregnant. I don’t put a lot of faith in the family to take a woman’s health into consideration. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, adidas said:

This is new to me. If you don’t keep your shoes in your bedroom wardrobe, where else do they stay? Are there special shoe rooms in American houses? Downstairs shoe closets? 

Not American, but Scandinavian ;) With four seasons a day the shoes can't stay in the bedroom closet. They stay in the mudroom/entryway/hallway rack or closet, with the nicest pairs and/or off season pairs in the bedroom or storage. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Thorns said:

Not American, but Scandinavian ;) With four seasons a day the shoes can't stay in the bedroom closet. They stay in the mudroom/entryway/hallway rack or closet, with the nicest pairs and/or off season pairs in the bedroom or storage. 

I keep my 4-5 most worn shoes near my front door, but the others live in my room.  We have a lot of space but it would be too much chaos to keep all my shoes in the front hallway.  I have lots of shoes (I have pared it down to less than 30 pairs, but it used to be 50+), but when you want different shoe options for many combinations of wet/dry, cold/chilly/warm/hot, casual/work/formal, and day/evening you can get to a lot of shoes pretty quickly. Not to mention activity-based shoes, like running shoes, hiking boots, etc.  

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 6

No shoes in the house here.  I was raised that way.  My mother was raised that way (6th of 9 kids, not a lot of money - they got 2 pair of shoes/year.  So no shoes in the house to reduce wear and tear on the shoe).  I have a repurposed shelf in my apartment living room to house regularly worn shoes.  There is a curtain over the front of the shelf to attempt (poorly) to hide the shoes.  It was that or a shoe pile in the living room.

• Upvote 8

Were attempting to become a no shoes in the house family.

Just moved and for the first time in years have carpet rather than hardwood.

Not sure if being no shoe fancy will stick but we’re all trying!  If not I’ll jist get a box of those paper shoe covers and mount it by the front door - that’ll class up the joint!

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I didn’t say I was expecting one. I said I would not be shocked if there was one. My daughter in law has the same condition and has had the same surgery.  This is the sister of someone who is shocked every time she finds out she is pregnant. I don’t put a lot of faith in the family to take a woman’s health into consideration. 

But I wasnt talking about Alyssa’s health. I was talking about the health of her fetus, if she was to get pregnant 

It’s the health of the fetus that would be at risk because of the meds she is now taking. And that is something this cult does take seriously. 

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 2

We don't wear shoes in the house and we store our shoes in our bedroom closets. We all have 1-3 pairs in the hall closet, usually  a pair for flip flops, and 1 or 2 other pairs that are frequently worn. Everything else is stored in the bedroom closet. We leave them at the front door when we first come in the house but at some point during the evening, usually when we go back to shower/change into PJs, we move the shoes to the bedroom.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Hisey said:

If she is taking heart medication, it wouldn’t surprise me if she is also using some form of birth control. I imagine strong meds could affect a developing fetus and her doctor peobably recommended birth control. That would also explain her quick, definite answer about pregnancy. She says “No, haha” instead of a coy “Maybe” or “Who knows?” or  “I don’t think so.”

.....I just did a bit of research. According to this article and others, the drugs used to treat SVT are thought to be dangerous to a fetus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4940191/

Unless Alyssa and John are really against birth control, I suspect they are preventing pregnancy and won’t be announcing anything anytime soon. 

In fact, if they are truly prolife, they should actually use a real method of birth control (or abstinence). Because a pregnancy can go wrong if the mother takes some heart disease medications or undergo a surgery. 

I know fundies don't think logically. But Alyssa is relatively down-to-earth. Let's hope she waits to be absolutely recovered before having #4.

• Upvote 4

It must be very worrying for Alyssa having had surgery and taking heart medication to now be feeling ill. She will be wondering if it is the side effects of the medication or if something else is wrong. Having three adorable, but very lively, little girls to take care of on top of running the house whilst feeling ill (and no doubt a bit scared) cannot be anything other than stressful. I hope that she recovers her health very soon. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

On 6/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, JordynDarby5 said:

I wondered when that started but 80s seems right. My parents went to church as kids in the 50s and 60s and they always had to dress up for church. I remember how ticked off my grandmother was when she started seeing people not dressed up for church. 

Weirdly enough, my ex husband, who is all of 46 years old, grew up as an Episcopalian in the 70s and 80s, used to make snide comments about how casually "the Catholics" dressed for Mass.  He is an atheist, so AFAIK he doesn't go to any church now, and if he does, he'd better clue me in because religious upbringing for our kids is supposed to be a joint decision.  

Growing up, I was always dressed for Mass in "Sunday best," but then again as a Catholic school student, weekends were the only days I could wear "real" clothes around other people, so I didn't mind.  I have always loved a pretty outfit.  My mother and grandmother always dressed up for Mass, almost like they were going to a daytime wedding, and I was always well turned out in a nice dress and shoes.  That was just the norm.  I definitely wore pants to Mass at times as a teen, when I would go to Saturday vigil with friends before heading out for the night, (incidentally, my ex called this "Party Mass") but I would not have DREAMED of wearing jeans to Mass until I was in college and went to the campus Masses where everyone was grubby.  I think the rigidity of the Sunday best expectation relaxed significantly in the 1990s in the community where I was raised, but even now, I would never go to Mass in shorts or jeans.  It just wouldn't feel right.  Not that I go to Mass any more. I am a very lapsed Catholic and have not found another Christian denomination I feel comfortable in, so I go it alone. 

On 6/8/2019 at 6:40 AM, mollysmom said:

So I come in with my leggings, or capris or whatever I feel like wearing, bring my coffee & just enjoy myself. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I'm loving it!

What is this "bringing coffee to church" thing???  There are so many churches around here where that is a thing, and it is totally foreign to me since I grew up a strict Catholic.  We couldn't even eat before Mass because our stomachs had to be ready to receive the Host, and Jesus's Actual Body didn't want to mix with Cheerios or Poptarts or whatever.  Do you really bring a macchiato or whatever with you into the sanctuary for the service?  I'm not asking because I think that's a bad thing; I'm just fascinated that they LET PEOPLE DO THAT.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

10 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Weirdly enough, my ex husband, who is all of 46 years old, grew up as an Episcopalian in the 70s and 80s, used to make snide comments about how casually "the Catholics" dressed for Mass.  He is an atheist, so AFAIK he doesn't go to any church now, and if he does, he'd better clue me in because religious upbringing for our kids is supposed to be a joint decision.  

Growing up, I was always dressed for Mass in "Sunday best," but then again as a Catholic school student, weekends were the only days I could wear "real" clothes around other people, so I didn't mind.  I have always loved a pretty outfit.  My mother and grandmother always dressed up for Mass, almost like they were going to a daytime wedding, and I was always well turned out in a nice dress and shoes.  That was just the norm.  I definitely wore pants to Mass at times as a teen, when I would go to Saturday vigil with friends before heading out for the night, (incidentally, my ex called this "Party Mass") but I would not have DREAMED of wearing jeans to Mass until I was in college and went to the campus Masses where everyone was grubby.  I think the rigidity of the Sunday best expectation relaxed significantly in the 1990s in the community where I was raised, but even now, I would never go to Mass in shorts or jeans.  It just wouldn't feel right.  Not that I go to Mass any more. I am a very lapsed Catholic and have not found another Christian denomination I feel comfortable in, so I go it alone. 

What is this "bringing coffee to church" thing???  There are so many churches around here where that is a thing, and it is totally foreign to me since I grew up a strict Catholic.  We couldn't even eat before Mass because our stomachs had to be ready to receive the Host, and Jesus's Actual Body didn't want to mix with Cheerios or Poptarts or whatever.  Do you really bring a macchiato or whatever with you into the sanctuary for the service?  I'm not asking because I think that's a bad thing; I'm just fascinated that they LET PEOPLE DO THAT.

Former long term Catholic, now Unitarian, and we can bring beverages into the sanctuary, and my husband does.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Former long term Catholic, now Unitarian, and we can bring beverages into the sanctuary, and my husband does.

What kind of beverages?  Not that I’m interested in going back to church but if anything would tempt me might be an open bar.

• Haha 16
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What kind of beverages?  Not that I’m interested in going back to church but if anything would tempt me might be an open bar.

I’m sure you could drink anything you wanted. Since our weekly service is Sunday at 10AM, my husband always has a large, portable mug of tea. Others come in with large bottles of water or coffee. No open bar for weekly services, LOL!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Totally legit question. This is new to me as well. I dare say though, my church actually kind of encourages it. I only say that because there are actually cup holders on every chair (seriously!) and there is a coffee shop inside the church so yeah, very laid back! I love it!

• Upvote 4

Nobody brings beverages into our sanctuary during services, but we sometimes have congregational meetings in the sanctuary, and I’ve spotted beverages at those. 

• Upvote 2

The convo has moved on, but if anyone is still wondering what jon jons and bubble suits are, check out the Instagram of Elizabeth Chambers Hammer (actor Armie Hammer's wife). I read an interview she gave once about why her children only wear classic clothing....it came across as super elitist and "let them eat cake"ish so naturally I became weirdly intrigued by her. She dresses her children like porcelain dolls every day.

My Mom put us in outfits like what you see Prince George and Princess Charlotte wearing, but only for holidays and pictures. We were pretty rough and tumble, overall wearing rascals. We're something like tenth generation South Carolinians, but I don't think Mom ever inflicted full smocked, monogramed bubble suits and Jon jons on us. 

• Upvote 2

My children have each owned at least one monogrammed jon jon during  early toddlerhood and I’m from North Carolina.  Most of the time they are just running around in their underwear though. ??‍♀️

• Haha 3

I see the pregnancy question was asked on one of the individual kid's pics. Someone else opined that it was going to be the 3 kid pics... and then announcement!

As Alyssa chose to follow those pics up with an announcement of how sick she's been... I'm thinking that was a subtle 'no fresh babies happening anytime soon, my health is not prime'.

And someone else said they were hoping for an announcement. She's 24 with 3 kids?!

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, JillyO said:

I have no idea what bubble suits or jonjons are, so I decided to ask Google. Image search gave me a bunch of this, and nothing else, for bubble suits. I'm choosing to believe people in the South dress their kids like this! :)

The Bates dress just like that! 

Bubble vests

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:23 PM, IrishCarrie said:

See, I don't have any opinion on the clothes themselves or what's appropriate for church (don't go; don't care! ?) but what bewilders me in this:

HOW ON EARTH do the kids have so many different "nice" clothes??? All the kids in my life have their daily clothes (jeans, trackies,  t-shits, leggings, tunics etc) and then one or two "nice' outfits, that they usually have to be bullied or bribed to wear.

How does Alyssa find the time to shop for all these clothes? Even online, it takes time.

How can she face laundering them? Fancy clothes need to be ironed!

Where do they store them? - just how much wardrobe space can there be in one regular sized house??

IrishCarrie needs to know the practicalities of this!!!! 

????

She is lucky she goes to church. I gave away so many expensive dresses and “nice” clothes away that still had tags on them. 

My daughter just never had a chance to wear them.

I wish I knew then what I know now and I would have saved my money on the very cute “omg I’m having a baby omg it’s a girl, everything is so cute, but it all” impulse buys. 

I must admit if I had three girls close in age I would dress them matching for special occasions Xmas photos weddings or themes aka Valentine’s Day or Australia Day. Even all matching princess jasmine dresses  like for the new Aladdin movie lol.

Other than that it would be hand me downs. My budget and my new thriftiness with clothes would not allow every purchase to match. 

• Upvote 6

On 6/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, JillyO said:

LOL..."bubble suits" was probably the wrong term to search for. ?

Jon Jons are basically a shorts version of jumper, Longalls are the pants version. Bubbles are essentially no legs and meant to "bubble" out at the bottom. My kid regularly wears it all. We have our fair share of shorts/pants and tee shirts but wear this stuff just as much. It's not everyone's preferred styled but I think it's adorable.

3.jpg

Spoiler

1.jpg

Spoiler

2.jpg

Spoiler

4.jpg

Edited by Blahblah
Add spoilers
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 7

On 6/10/2019 at 1:52 AM, JillyO said:

Oh definitely. I have ones for my children in every color. Less bruising when they try to shove each other. 

But seriously, I saw a version of these in SamsClub over the weekend and immediately thought of the Bates family. 

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/inflatable-bump-n-run/prod22630117.ip?xid=plp_product_1_2

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, onyourwayhome said:

My children have each owned at least one monogrammed jon jon during  early toddlerhood and I’m from North Carolina.  Most of the time they are just running around in their underwear though. ??‍♀️

We couldn't even keep underwear on my nephew. It took him 0 to 5 seconds to get naked. I think at one point duck tape was used on diapers.

• Haha 12

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic