IGNORED

Alyssa & John 3: Modesty Make-Up

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, LillyP said:

Ok, I'll bite on the clothing thing....

I'm totally guilty of over-shopping for my kid, and he has way more "nice" clothes than "play" clothes. Actually he really has not much for "play" clothes. Clothes are one my guilty pleasure and I take a lot of pride in my kid being dressed nice. That doesn't mean he's in button downs everyday by any means, but we are from the south and wear a lot of classic children's clothes and smocked or monogrammed/applique things. Lots of Jon Jons, Diaper Sets, Bubbles, etc. Our casual wear is usually Vineyard Vines or something similar.

I'm super picky about his clothes and hate anything with cheesy characters or writing on them (unless it's his monogram or name). Most of his clothes are pre-ordered through specialty groups and I always shop ahead for the next season because they take 6 weeks to come in. That being said I take very good care of them and there's a big resale market for those kinds of clothes, so I'm in several BST groups on facebook to sell them and use that money towards purchasing for the next season. I also buy a lot of his smocked stuff off the BST pages. 

We have our fair share of basic pieces and cotton rompers from Carters & Target for casual wear around the house or playing outside, but usually when we're out and about he's in his nice stuff. The way I look at it is plenty of people spend $6/day on a coffee, or $20/day on lunch out, or money on getting their hair/nails done every few weeks. I do none of that and prefer to spend my money on dressing my kid nice. Most of my friends in my circle are the same way, and a lot of shop at the same retailers online buying similar stuff. My inlaws are from up north and don't get it at all. They can't fathom why I wouldn't just put him in some cheap stuff from Walmart and call it a day, they also hate all his smocked stuff but I couldn't give a shit. I dress him how I want and think he looks like a handsome little boy, not a mini-man.

We usually pick less expensive options for our daughter because that’s more the norm in our area - plus our daughter would likely just ruin anything super nice. Her new favorite thing is eating soup while fully clothed and she is a pretty messy eater. ?

If you can afford to buy stuff like that and your son is happy and healthy and genuinely ok with what you pick for him then that’s all that matters. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, adidas said:

This is new to me. If you don’t keep your shoes in your bedroom wardrobe, where else do they stay? Are there special shoe rooms in American houses? Downstairs shoe closets? 

Our bedroom has a master bathroom,one part has two sinks,a mirror,counter space and cabinets,and a jetted tub.Then through a  door is the toilet,and a shower.As you walk into the bathroom,to left is a huge closet,we store most of my shoes there,along with any clothing that get hung up,in has space for other storage,too.

Mr.Melon has more shoes than I do,we have something for him and his shoes by our dresser in the bedroom.

At first,I was kind of grossed out by the closet in the bathroom,but I actually like it.It has a wood sliding door ,one part has some shelves for storage,I use it for towels,sheets,etc.,the other opens and closes the closet.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I am old, have grown kids, and 1 recently turned 5 YO GD. Dressing up kids lasts about 4 maybe 5 years, tops. Once the kids get a mind or style of their own, mom’s hobby flies out the window, unless you’re the parent that wants their kid to be miserable. So enjoy dressing the, up when they’re little- my only thought on clothing is that it’s clean and matches venue. 

This is very true. Those cheesy characters you hate may soon be on the shirt your son desperately wants. It’s also very good to give kids autonomy and choice in a low-stakes area like this. I remember the wacky outfits my kid used to pick out and how proud she was od them! I always hoped the preschool teacher did not think I had picked out the ensemble. 

However, it is fun to dress them up during those first 2-3 years when they don’t notice or care.

• Upvote 4

She’s saying no announcements but then why are they getting a “We Are Expecting” special? Did she miss the Bible study on lying? 

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

She’s saying no announcements but then why are they getting a “We Are Expecting” special? Did she miss the Bible study on lying? 

Are they? I thought it was only an special, not an expecting one. They can do a special about Alyssa's surgery.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I don't spend a whole lot on kid clothes and what I do spend, I justify by handing it down to my second boy whose just 18 mos behind the first. I kept everything my first has ever worn and they're organized in size specific bins in the attic off his closet. My favorite place to buy clothes is Carters/Oshkosh doorbusters because I can have new things for approx $5 a piece. I also do Walmart and OUAC. I love that Carters cash too. When you find the sweet spot with Carters you can get things for free or next to nothing. I used Carters cash and free shipping to order a pair of pajamas for free last year. Not long ago, I ordered my youngest a birthday shirt that was clearance for $2 and free shipping for Memorial day.

In addition to what I pick out myself, my in-laws are constantly bringing me handmedowns from my husband's aunt because her grandson is just a bit older than my oldest. I honestly have boy clothing coming out of my ears. Frankly, I wish I could ask them to stop and them actually listen (I've told them since I found out baby 2 was another boy that I truly needed nothing). I have clothing year round for boys 3T and under to infinity at this point. At my littlest's birthday party I got even more handmedowns from them. I have gently told them over and over I don't need anything for him in any size smaller than what my oldest is wearing but they ignore me and keep buying and bringing me things. It's kind and I really appreciate being thought of at all, truly, but I was telling my husband the other night that I'm starting to get a little stressed with all the clothes because my bins are overflowing. I'm going to have to get the bins out and start donating things.  

All that said, my biggest is old enough now (sized out of all the handmedowns) that I can actually buy him things I've picked out myself and that's fun. I enjoy updating his wardrobe each season (though not having to buy anything for brother is also nice). I was briefly friends with a mom who did the Alyssa thing and bought a lot of these really interesting clothing items for her daughter. Friend adopted her very much wanted little girl and was super enamored with every aspect of motherhood and having a baby girl, so I never even thought to judge her. She did a lot of the B/S/T groups and told me she wasn't buying anything directly from specialty boutiques and was getting it all used for a fraction of the price. That was surprising to me and also a bit of an education. I admittedly don't know much about any of that type of clothing or little girl style. I remember her using all kinds of brands and boutique names expecting me to be impressed and I was clueless. I know it's a big "thang" down here though, particularly for church. My BFF has a daughter she adopted though and I've begged her to let me have her things if I ever have a girl. At the very least she's going to have to show me the ropes as I'm going to have to start all over on the wardrobe stash in the case of having daughters. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

It's the third special they've done on the Bates family to promote the UP network show Expecting: https://www.uptv.com/shows/expecting/.  But they just did them for Whit and Zach and Erin and Chad, and I didn't see those but I'm pretty sure they were about past pregnancies.  

It does seem like UP is trolling fans with that kind of formatting, though.

• Upvote 6

Alyssa shared this on Instagram today. It's a photo of all 3 girls together, following the individual ones the past few days:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2019-06-10-07-14-36.thumb.png.f200e79cf2505840447c8e6343ff02f7.png

Alyssa appears to be quite unwell (likely due to her heart condition).

I doubt she's pregnant, especially given her surgery was less than 2 months ago and she is now saying she isn't doing so great.

Probably just an unfortunate name given on Up's part.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

The wellness and side effects of her heart medication could currently be being exacerbated by the nausea associated with a side effect of unprotected sex.

And while I'd hope she's waiting a bit, she could easily be pregnant.

• Upvote 6

I truly hope for her health that she is not pregnant. It sounds like this heart condition is impacting her day to day life, plus running after 3 very small kids. Adding in early pregnancy sickness/fatigue, and the general toll that pregnancy takes on your body, I just can’t imagine. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Are they? I thought it was only an special, not an expecting one. They can do a special about Alyssa's surgery.

I posted a screenshot above from my TV guide that says Expecting: John and Alyssa. 

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It's the third special they've done on the Bates family to promote the UP network show Expecting: https://www.uptv.com/shows/expecting/.  But they just did them for Whit and Zach and Erin and Chad, and I didn't see those but I'm pretty sure they were about past pregnancies.  

Whit and Zach’s went through all of their pregnancy and ended with the announcement of the new baby. I just fast forwarded through Erin and Chad’s and it ended with no announcement so who knows. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I did wonder if it was lead up to Josie's July due date but its really not that unusual. UP tv has done stuff like that before. Mother's Day specials, weddings specials and having various Bates kids comment on episodes when all they really do is either re-air episodes or lump several different scenes together. Its more likely to keep interest in the show going until it comes back in September with new episodes.

• Upvote 3

I think we can discard a pregnancy, if she went to hospital to run test to see if the medication was making her sick they probably also did a pregnancy test just in case, and wouldnt she say it instead of saying they have not found what is making her ill and asking for prayers?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

I can never get past them saying they have a husband they don't deserve.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Alyssa shared this on Instagram today. It's a photo of all 3 girls together, following the individual ones the past few days:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_2019-06-10-07-14-36.thumb.png.f200e79cf2505840447c8e6343ff02f7.png

Alyssa appears to be quite unwell (likely due to her heart condition).

I doubt she's pregnant, especially given her surgery was less than 2 months ago and she is now saying she isn't doing so great.

Probably just an unfortunate name given on Up's part.

I honestly hate myself a little bit because the first thing I noticed was that she misspelled “effect” and “pity.” Of all the times I should give her a pass for misspelling something now should be it, but my brain still immediately went there. ?

I do truly hope they figure out what’s making her feel ill. I know it’s not easy to constantly not feel like yourself and to constantly feel sick. Alyssa deserves to feel healthy and her family, especially her little girls, definitely deserve to have her healthy too. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

If she is taking heart medication, it wouldn’t surprise me if she is also using some form of birth control. I imagine strong meds could affect a developing fetus and her doctor peobably recommended birth control. That would also explain her quick, definite answer about pregnancy. She says “No, haha” instead of a coy “Maybe” or “Who knows?” or  “I don’t think so.”

.....I just did a bit of research. According to this article and others, the drugs used to treat SVT are thought to be dangerous to a fetus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4940191/

Unless Alyssa and John are really against birth control, I suspect they are preventing pregnancy and won’t be announcing anything anytime soon. 

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

11 hours ago, LillyP said:

Ok, I'll bite on the clothing thing....

I'm totally guilty of over-shopping for my kid, and he has way more "nice" clothes than "play" clothes. Actually he really has not much for "play" clothes. Clothes are one my guilty pleasure and I take a lot of pride in my kid being dressed nice. That doesn't mean he's in button downs everyday by any means, but we are from the south and wear a lot of classic children's clothes and smocked or monogrammed/applique things. Lots of Jon Jons, Diaper Sets, Bubbles, etc. Our casual wear is usually Vineyard Vines or something similar.

I'm super picky about his clothes and hate anything with cheesy characters or writing on them (unless it's his monogram or name). Most of his clothes are pre-ordered through specialty groups and I always shop ahead for the next season because they take 6 weeks to come in. That being said I take very good care of them and there's a big resale market for those kinds of clothes, so I'm in several BST groups on facebook to sell them and use that money towards purchasing for the next season. I also buy a lot of his smocked stuff off the BST pages. 

We have our fair share of basic pieces and cotton rompers from Carters & Target for casual wear around the house or playing outside, but usually when we're out and about he's in his nice stuff. The way I look at it is plenty of people spend $6/day on a coffee, or $20/day on lunch out, or money on getting their hair/nails done every few weeks. I do none of that and prefer to spend my money on dressing my kid nice. Most of my friends in my circle are the same way, and a lot of shop at the same retailers online buying similar stuff. My inlaws are from up north and don't get it at all. They can't fathom why I wouldn't just put him in some cheap stuff from Walmart and call it a day, they also hate all his smocked stuff but I couldn't give a shit. I dress him how I want and think he looks like a handsome little boy, not a mini-man.

I am from the south too. Please don't think we all dress our children in bubble suits and jonjons. In fact, my family has been in the south about 400 years and I don't know anyone who dresses kids like that.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am from the south too. Please don't think we all dress our children in bubble suits and jonjons. In fact, my family has been in the south about 400 years and I don't know anyone who dresses kids like that.

At what point did I say everyone from the south dresses their kid like I dress mine? ;) I said that I'm from the south and dress my kid in a lot of classic southern clothes. It is a very common thing, even though you personally don't know anyone who dresses their kid that way, it's a pretty popular clothing choice in my circle and for many people I know. I totally get that it's not everyone's preferred style of children's clothing and that's totally ok. My point was that I can't hate on Alyssa for preferring to dress her kids nicely, because that's how I dress mine. My inlaws wouldn't know what a bubble was if I drew it on their forehead and think how I dress my kid is silly and that he should just be in a mickey mouse shirt. Lucky for them they live up north so they don't have to see him in his "weird" clothes everyday. ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I have relatives who came here nearly 400 years ago! But I've always been inclined to believe they were here for indentured servitude. And the other three corners of my background came here in the 1850s, 1900s and 1920. Perhaps this is why I liked seersucker dresses on my daughters back in the early 90s, perhaps not.

I have no idea what bubble suits and jonjons are, but I suspect I think it's just fine for some people to like them on their children and for others not to, no matter how long they've been on the register. As the inimitable James Brown once said, "This is America, baby, live how you wanna live." 

• Upvote 6

Just now, backyard sylph said:

I have relatives who came here nearly 400 years ago! But I've always been inclined to believe they were here for indentured servitude. And the other three corners of my background came here in the 1850s, 1900s and 1920. Perhaps this is why I liked seersucker dresses on my daughters back in the early 90s, perhaps not.

I have no idea what bubble suits and jonjons are, but I suspect I think it's just fine for some people to like them on their children and for others not to, no matter how long they've been on the register. As the inimitable James Brown once said, "This is America, baby, live how you wanna live." 

I just wanted to make sure that no one thought everyone here  dressed like dandies!

I just did some tracing on ancestry.com and found out that I am the first person on my mom's side to marry an immigrant since just after the Revolution. It is a very strange little tree, and I only found one ancestor who did not start in the southern colonies (Plymouth Colony, 1620). Obviously a lot of them were Catholics who settled in Maryland then somehow became protestant, a few Royalists in VA and a pirate. It's a very unexciting tree to be honest! The most annoying is the Irish ancestor who fled here to escape the British in 1700 and promptly bought a bunch of slaves. Critical thinking was obviously not his jam.

• Upvote 9

You know, I want to say this positively—it wouldn't be like any of us to assume everyone does things just like one person. So I don't quite understand why it's important to you to assure us of it; it makes it seem like you find the other person's way of life unacceptable, and I bet you really don't. We can let it go, anyway. Our sartorial choices are all part of the vast tapestry of culture, and we're fortunate, it seems, to have them. 

My English ancestors came here in the early 1600s to the area that was later divided into North Carolina and Virginia. I think they got involved in some skirmish in Scotland first, but it's tricky to tell. And no one with that name has done anything noteworthy enough to still be spoken of. 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Alyssa doesn’t write the captions or decide which episode plays when. This one is all on UP 

• Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

Alyssa doesn’t write the captions or decide which episode plays when. This one is all on UP 

Like none of these people have ever lied before? We’ve seen them all do it. I wouldn’t be surprised either way. 

• Downvote 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic