IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, Purrl said:

When my daughter was little she called her bare feet her “country shoes”. 

We have a cottage on an island (let's say Gilligans) and we call them "Gilligans feet" as in "It's still early in the summer - I don't have my Gilligans feet yet." 

I hate shoes. I kick them off first chance I get.

• Upvote 9

Once inside my home, I walk around barefoot, even in winter. Shoes are okay for me, it's socks that I can't stand. They really bug me.

And my contribution to the cookie conversation

Oat cookie recipe:

250g of butter

250g of sugar (a little less is actually better taste-wise)

250g of roughly milled oats (my notes say that a little more is better)

125g of all purpose flour

2 eggs

baking powder

vanilla sugar to taste (I leave that out)

Mix it all well, use a tea spoon to measure out on baking sheet, and bake at 175C for about half an hour.

It's not the most accurate recipe, and the results don't look appetizing, but are surprisingly tasty. Well, it's a load of butter and sugar, so what could go wrong? I don't make them often, but when I do Mr samurai_sarah inhales them. To be fair though, the man has never met a cookie he doesn't like. So, it's up to more impartial judges to decide whether they're any good.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My favorite cookie, hands down,  is a freshly made piece of shortbread. I usually have a couple of logs of shortbread dough in the freezer ready for my every whim. Butter and sugar, what’s not to love?

I had a great recipe from a former co-worker who was from Great Britain. And I lost it! I have yet to find a recipe quite like hers. 

• Upvote 4

Before hypothyroidism I was always barefoot. I like "country shoes," haha, that was me. Now I'm a socks and houseshoes all the time person because my feet are always cold. :( My toddler takes his shoes and socks off as quickly as possible. I only put socks on him this morning so he'd have them downstairs for our evening walk. I knew he'd pull them right off. In the five minutes it took me to call him into the kitchen for breakfast they'd already been removed. ?

• Upvote 10

I mostly don't wear shoes in the house (I type that while wearing sneakers, LOL, because I thought I was going to sit down for just 10 minutes and then go walk the dog but I got sidetracked...).  We aren't dogmatic about no shoes in the house but we mostly prefer not to wear them indoors.  I do wear socks in the winter (hardwood floors and my feet get cold otherwise) and then go barefoot the rest of the year. 

I'll also go outside barefoot for short stints (getting the mail or getting a lemon) if it isn't too cold or wet.   We have a dog though so it's a little unhygienic to walk around in the grass barefoot here. 

• Upvote 4

I wear shoes as little as possible. Every year, I swear this will be the year I learn to not go outside barefoot in the snow. Every year it is not. :(

I don't wear toe prisons unless I'm taking the (now departed ?) dog for a walk, or getting in the car. I sometimes remember to toss my boots on if I was grabbing firewood in the snow. Sometimes isn't often. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

We wear socks, house shoes or go barefoot indoors. I don’t want to imagine what kind of dirt you bring in from the outside (not a germaphobe but I can go without traces of dog or pigeon shit, cigarette ash and so on...).

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Once inside my home, I walk around barefoot, even in winter. Shoes are okay for me, it's socks that I can't stand. They really bug me.

I don't consider myself anti-shoe at all, but am always barefoot in my house. And not just for cleanliness reasons. Socks get worn out super fast on carpeting, and I can't stand the feel of shoes on inside. I get really cold and have a pair of fleece house slippers for winter, but they always end up getting kicked off after a few minutes. 

I do prefer to have shoes on outside, even to get the mail. My feet must be sensitive. 

48 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

We wear socks, house shoes or go barefoot indoors. I don’t want to imagine what kind of dirt you bring in from the outside (not a germaphobe but I can go without traces of dog or pigeon shit, cigarette ash and so on...).

I always assumed the "shoes on indoors" people meant special indoor shoes?

Unless I've just cleaned, I'm not super strict about people wearing shoes in my house, as long as they wipe them on the rug. If I just steam cleaned? Bitch, you better not step off that mat until those nasty shoes are off. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 9

Thanks for all the advice on snickerdoodles!  I will definitely try again.  Although, honestly, it would probably be a lot easier if each of you just mailed yours to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

How many people wear shoes in the house? My shoes don't go on until I'm walking out the door, and they come off the second I walk into the house. I loath shoes for the most part and go barefoot or wear sandals for as long as possible.  

The shoes inside bother me so much!!

When I see people wearing outside shoes inside I think, where have those shoes been? Have they stepped in gum? In spit? In snuff? In dog pee? I do not want that in my house!! Shoes stays by the outdoor.

I live in a culture where shoes inside might be ok for women who bring indoor shoes for a party, but usually everyone only have their socks on inside, or maybe slippers if the floor is cold or you’re elderly and have poor balance. Even in school shoes are off limits, always for younger kids (aged 11-12) and sometimes for older (12-15) because research shows there are less conflicts when kids where slippers instead of shoes, presumably because of a “softer” atmosphere.

I have the coldest feet in Northern Europe so I almost always wear these slippers when I’m at home.
4a47eb214c921da752f4243f256ead2f.jpg

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

We don’t do shoes indoors either, but it’s mainly because the dog and one of the cats are alway underfoot and stepping on them without shoes hurts less.  Mr CL and cousin wear socks and occasionally slippers; I always wear slippers indoors.  We all have slip-on shoes for going out in the yard.  But even with all that, we do not insist that guests remove shoes before coming in; it’s always their preference.  

• Upvote 7

I’m not much of a cookie eater, but I love love love jeera cookies. They’re kind of like sugar cookies, but not quite as sweet, and they contain cumin seeds.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

I’m not much of a cookie eater, but I love love love jeera cookies. They’re kind of like sugar cookies, but not quite as sweet, and they contain cumin seeds.

Not liking cookies much is like blasphemy and sacrilege all rolled into one-

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 5

I prefer cakes both making and eating them to most cookies :)  Pie other than coconut cream is just gross to me. 

5 hours ago, lizzybee said:

Before hypothyroidism I was always barefoot. I like "country shoes," haha, that was me. Now I'm a socks and houseshoes all the time person because my feet are always cold. :( My toddler takes his shoes and socks off as quickly as possible. I only put socks on him this morning so he'd have them downstairs for our evening walk. I knew he'd pull them right off. In the five minutes it took me to call him into the kitchen for breakfast they'd already been removed. ?

Miniway is the same. I force him to put socks on every morning (there is still snow outside!) and he tells me ”I’m just going to take them off you know” and then he does as soon as possible. 

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I always assumed the "shoes on indoors" people meant special indoor shoes?

They don’t. :puke-left:

I’ve had my rants about shoes inside during previous thread drifts so I’ll keep it short this time. It’s disgusting, there’s poo on them, keep them off. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

I detest shoes with every fiber of my being...I mean like my toes will actively rebel against shoes and/or socks. So glad it warmed up again and I got my feets done. I can wear my "these cover my feet so I don't burn them on the pavement" sandals again. From now until late October/early November (or maybe later) I won't have to confine the feets. 

Speaking of...I'm feeling a real need to go sandal shopping soon...Famous Footwear had a great selection and their prices aren't bad (and they had ones I actually like). I get paid friday :) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I guess my dog needs shoes. Twice in the last 6 months she has tracked literal shit into our house. So not only did I get to clean up the entire path of shit, but also her 4 feet. Good thing she’s humble and lovable.

• Upvote 7

For those of us trying to be good, me included, here's a chickpea cookie dough recipe that I've been making a lot of for my family. It's vegan, gf, refined sugar free, etc etc. My toddler thinks they're the bee's knees.

I like to roll them into balls and use them to snack on between meals. I've made about five or six batches of these and recommend making the oat flour first before incorporating it in the food processor. Also I always use canned chickpeas because I'm too impatient and want my cookie dough asap. :)

https://frommybowl.com/chickpea-cookie-dough/

ETA: I also buy the mini dairy free chocolate chips which I think is better if you're making bliss ball type treats. 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

@is.it.real, I love the slipper picture.

I'm at least in slippers at a minimum in the house, except maybe on an exceptionally hot day. Unfortunately, my feet have two temperatures- "Yikes" and "Good God, woman, get those blocks of ice away from me!" Yes, my feet actually hurt sometimes. The Wigwam socks i have help.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

@Audrey2, do your feet turn white and then blue when the circulation returns to them?  If they do, you might want to ask your doctor if you might have Raynaud's phenomena.  I had Raynaud's, but I take Beta blockers for my blood pressure and that takes care of the Raynaud's as well.  Raynaud's is a right bitch.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@Audrey2, do your feet turn white and then blue when the circulation returns to them?  If they do, you might want to ask your doctor if you might have Raynaud's phenomena.  I had Raynaud's, but I take Beta blockers for my blood pressure and that takes care of the Raynaud's as well.  Raynaud's is a right bitch.

They don't turn white or blue, fortunately. Thank you for the info!

• Upvote 3

I grew up in a shoes inside family, but have been shoes off for quite a while. Part of it is comfort, but another part is not wanting to track in all the stuff shoes pick up outside. My place has mostly wood flooring, so crud shows up fast.

It literally only occurred to me a few minutes ago that I probably grew up shoes-on because my mother grew up in a small village in Mexico where almost none of the homes had full roofing throughout. Actual rooms had roofs, of course, but there was open sky over what would otherwise have been hallways or foyers between them. I don’t know that I’m explaining very well, but it makes sense to me now that she probably didn’t go barefoot much since she pretty much went “outside” every time she went from room to room. Big difference from my life, where I can easily go a week without stepping out of my building!

• Upvote 6

When I lived in Southern California I was very weirded out that everyone wore shoes in the house.  But then I realized that it wasn't nearly as bad as I was assuming, since everyone I knew drove to get anywhere (my cousin's friend was once horrified that I walked 3 blocks to work in New York in the winter---I just stared at her like how else would you even get somewhere 3 blocks away???) and it's not very often that it's wet/muddy there.  So between barely walking on an actual outside surface (which is probably also not that gross since no one else is walking there either) and everything being dry it's not that bad. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Do the no shoes in the house people not entertain at home? Would everyone at a dinner party be sitting around in nice clothes but barefoot? If Queen Elizabeth invites you to Buckingham Palace, are you going to kick off your shoes? 

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Left out important no
  • Upvote 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic