IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

3bfa7e409781fbc0ef72ad980305cc70.jpg

I love baking cookies! They are my favorite things to make. Lots of great memories there. I grew up baking cookies with my grandma, my favorite person in the world. As an adult, baking cookies in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep can be therapeutic.

I’m attaching a photo of a great baking book. One of the MathBoys bought me this baking book after hearing the author interviewed on NPR. It’s not really about the recipes. The author is a chemist, I believe, and she shares all about the chemistry of baking. So, if you want a softer cookie, for example, she explains how to alter your recipe to get a softer cookie. I learned so much about how the process works. So, if I get a cookie recipe that tastes good, but doesn’t have the texture I want, I can figure out how to to fix it.

Thanks to all of you sharing your recipes. I’ll try to share my favorite one in a bit.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Oatmeal cookies are a family favorite. I might make some later this afternoon.

send me some please :)

58 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Brown sugar oatmeal cookies is my favorite oatmeal cookie. 

recipe please 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Anyone a snickerdoodle fan? They are my absolute favorite!  I am thinking of making up a batch big enough for a small city this week :) 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

It's so utterly pleasing that everyone is now discussing cookie baking. What a payoff.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

2 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

It's so utterly pleasing that everyone is now discussing cookie baking. What a payoff.

Food is one of FJ's responses to shenanigans. It's one of the many things I love about it. ;)

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

1. Cookies! I love certain ones. I love snickerdooldes, and oatmeal cookies, NO raisins, I sometimes make my oatmeal cookies with cinnamon chips, I don't like chocolate chips in them much either.  I'm not a fan of fruits or nuts in baked goods, I don't need texture in my muffin, I need it to taste good. 
  • Upvote 3

My favorite cookies are gingersnaps/molasses crinkles. I also like to make my Mom's chocolate chip cookies (Betty Crocker cookbook, 1960s editions, adding the extra 1/4 cup of flour per recipe), snickerdoodles, Oatmeal Spice cookies (no raisins but cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice), peanut butter cookies, and cowboy (oatmeal chocolate chip) cookies. I've also been known to make chocolate crinkles. I've got the older Betty Crocker Cookie cookbook that I like to use when I make cookies.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

My favorite cookies are gingersnaps/molasses crinkles. I also like to make my Mom's chocolate chip cookies (Betty Crocker cookbook, 1960s editions, adding the extra 1/4 cup of flour per recipe), snickerdoodles, Oatmeal Spice cookies (no raisins but cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice), peanut butter cookies, and cowboy (oatmeal chocolate chip) cookies. I've also been known to make chocolate crinkles. I've got the older Betty Crocker Cookie cookbook that I like to use when I make cookies.

I LOVE Trader Joe's gingernsap cookies, they have bits of ginger in them, they are so good. 

What are crinkles? 

My go to cook book is a 1990 something Betty Crocker cookbook, that I got as a shower gift from Dh's grandmother, it is seriously the best cook book I've ever had.  

• Upvote 4

Sorry to interrupt the cookie thread drift, but I just caught up and want to respond to the feminist discussion. 

From @luv2laugh's posting history I think she's relatively new to feminism, currently stuck somewhere between the 1st and 2nd waves, and is trying to convince both herself and others with all the zeal and defensiveness of a new convert. Thanks to everyone who offered up useful correctives to her, hopefully she'll learn from them. I do think her heart is in the right place. 

Also oatmeal raisin cookies are the best cookies, but golden raisins are the spawn of Satan. You think you're getting a proper raisin, but then you realize your cookie is ruined when you put it in your mouth! 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Karma said:

It’s April.  Almost time for Anzac biscuits :) .

Anzac biscuits and swearing loudly at all the faux patriotic virtue signalling war glorifying BS that will soon be on TV, yes...

oops sorry... got a bit carried away there...

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Anzac biscuits and swearing loudly at all the faux patriotic virtue signalling war glorifying BS that will soon be on TV, yes...

oops sorry... got a bit carried away there...

And the radio... at least certain stations...

Should we also mention the unnecessary $AU500 million War Memorial upgrade when the other national institutions are/have been starved for funds for years... For example think of all the history in the Film and Sound Archive that is dying because they don't have the money to digitise it...

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

On 4/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, nausicaa said:

I like sewing and WWI history.

Are you actually me? 

• Haha 3
  • Love 4

13 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

Should we also mention the unnecessary $AU500 million War Memorial upgrade when the other national institutions are/have been starved for funds for years... For example think of all the history in the Film and Sound Archive that is dying because they don't have the money to digitise it...

And compare that to just $300 million for domestic violence services, including $10 million for BS counselling for people who shouldn't get counselling because DV isn't about compromise. Gahhhhhh. 

It's fast becoming indistinguishable from Australia Day, and don't get me started on that one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I LOVE Trader Joe's gingernsap cookies, they have bits of ginger in them, they are so good. 

What are crinkles? 

My go to cook book is a 1990 something Betty Crocker cookbook, that I got as a shower gift from Dh's grandmother, it is seriously the best cook book I've ever had.  

I have found the same recipe called ginger snaps in some cookbooks and molasses crinkles and others. I think they get the crinkle name because you roll the dough into a ball, dip the top in granulated sugar, then put the ball on the cookie sheet and sprinkle a couple drops of water over the top. As it bakes you see the sugar, but instead of a solid layer of sugar it's kind of a cracked looking one. The chocolate crinkles are similar but you roll those in powdered sugar and you don't put the water on top.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

Everything done for the dead is really for the living and the living need resources, not war memorial upgrades.

@Captain Obvious That's pretty damn grim.

• Upvote 11

b262f6349ac80bfd31dbf2e5b17ad4b7.jpg

My grandma’s molasses cookie recipe. I remember going to Grandma and Grandpa’s house often as a child (we lived in the same town) and making tuna sandwiches and molasses cookies together as soon as I walked in the door. We didn’t have cookies at home, so it was a real treat. Also, I loved tuna sandwiches, and it made the waiting for the cookies more bearable.

The recipe is from the WWII era, when fats and sugars were rationed. This cookie tends toward the crispier side, because oil is the fat used. For less crispness, I underbake them a bit. It is still my all-time favorite, and when I share them people like the ginger-snappy flavor and the look of the crackly, sugary surface. Enjoy!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, MathQueen said:

b262f6349ac80bfd31dbf2e5b17ad4b7.jpg

My grandma’s molasses cookie recipe. I remember going to Grandma and Grandpa’s house often as a child (we lived in the same town) and making tuna sandwiches and molasses cookies together as soon as I walked in the door. We didn’t have cookies at home, so it was a real treat. Also, I loved tuna sandwiches, and it made the waiting for the cookies more bearable.

The recipe is from the WWII era, when fats and sugars were rationed. This cookie tends toward the crispier side, because oil is the fat used. For less crispness, I underbake them a bit. It is still my all-time favorite, and when I share them people like the ginger-snappy flavor and the look of the crackly, sugary surface. Enjoy!

Except for a slight difference in spices, that is very similar to my molasses crinkles / Ginger snaps recipe.

• Love 5

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, BernRul said:

@luv2laugh My thing is, why don't we encourage boys to take an interest in cooking, fashion, and caring for children? Why not buy our sons Wonder Woman pajamas? I've seen girls dressed in Spiderman and Batman merch but never boys with a WW logo. Why is that? Why is the masculine better than the feminine to the point where we as a society accept women with masculine interests and traits but never a man who wants to embrace the feminine? Why should women "change" (as if all women are naturally inclinded to these things and not the others. Personally, I like children and pregnancy but none of the others you mentioned) but not men? 

Because what you're saying doesn't really match up with society's view. Society loves girls who are "one of the guys" while still devaluing feminity. Why are Arya, Brienne, and Ygritte  seen as so much more popular than strong characters who still work within the confines of womanhood, like Sansa, Margaery, and Catelyn? Again, why the fuck will I get weird looks for dressing my hypothetical son in pink Wonder Women shirts but not my equally hypothetical daughter in a badass Batman tee? 

Hell, we devalue feminity so much that traditionally feminine jobs make less money. It's why I don't get paid shit for a job that requires a lot of education, and even in some cases Master's degrees.

Maybe instead of constantly devaluing feminity, we place a value on both masculine and feminine traits, and accept that like 99% of people are a healthy mix of both. And this is coming from the least feminine chick around. 

Boom. Thank you!! I wish we didn't place a stigma on our boys that love to cook, sew, crochet, knit, care for kiddos. Heck my dearest guy friends all love caring for kids. They aren't married but they work in our church's early childhood ministry. They work with infants, toddlers, etc. Some even work with students (elementary up to high school). You know those kids LOVE their male leaders. I mean I tear up when I see them interact. These kids (boys and girls) look up to these young men. I have a guy friend who loves to knit, crochet (its therapeutic for him) . Another guy friend of mine makes the best chicken chili ever. . Oh my goodness its so good. He LOVES cooking. Actually we have a group of us (about 10) that meet weekly and prepare a meal together. Males and females in a kitchen. Talking, laughing, preparing a meal together. We also clean up together as well. Sorry went off on a squirrel chase. In Fundie land you would Never see that! At least in my mind you wouldn't.

• Upvote 14

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Beermeet said:

I have the perfect funny right now!

Also, buy Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips, flip over to get the recipe and make it. Best cookies ever. 

AMEN. I add a teeeeeny bit more vanilla and definitely more chips - but YUM

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Anyone a snickerdoodle fan? They are my absolute favorite!  I am thinking of making up a batch big enough for a small city this week :) 

?️  Me!  Me!  Me! 

But here's the thing--i absolutely cannot make them!  I am a pretty good baker & can make other fantastic cookies, but not snickerdoodles.  Growing up, my sister made them, and they were always perfect.  I can't imagine what I am doing wrong.  They come out too flat. Nothing sadder than wanting snickerdoodles, mixing the dough, rolling them in cinnamon sugar, putting them into the oven, and then taking out ruined cookies.  :crying-yellow:

Maybe I should use @MathQueen's book!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

Jessa has a Facebook post up with the boys playing outside at a farm. She says, “yes, we’re barefoot...we kept away from the barbed wire...there, beat ya to it!”

She’s pre-snarking us.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic