IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

I'm in Canada and I don't think I have ever been to someone's house where you wouldn't take off your shoes, even for a fancier gathering. In winter, there is snow which would melt on people's floors and make a mess and in spring, everything is wet and there is a lot of sand and gravel that accumulated on the sidewalks and roads over the winter. Your house would be filthy if people kept their shoes on.

My mom had ankle surgery a few years ago and now prefers to wear supportive shoes in the house a lot of the time so she has an extra indoor pair that she keeps just for that purpose. I know some people will wear slippers in their own house. Most young people would not bring slippers or some sort of slip on "house" shoes to put on at someone else's house but I have some older relatives that will.

I personally prefer bare feet when I am at home, so does my son. My husband wears socks in the house in the winter but not the summer. No one would think it was odd to wear bare feet at someone else's house in the summer.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

For the shoes people--do you guys wake up in the morning and get dressed and put on a pair of like leather, hard soled shoes even if you're just staying at home that day cooking and cleaning? I'm not judging, just trying to wrap my head around it. 

I have one lame foot and must wear mammy-whammer custom orthotics along with big honkin' grampa shoes.. all the dang time. If I have to get up in the middle of the night I slip my foot into a shoe with an orthotic before I even take a step. This is why I can't hate on Michelle's big shoes. Not saying she has orthotics, but there is some reason she wears those. Since I don't wear dresses I can get by with athletic support shoes, which I wear all the time except in the shower and in bed. FML

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

re: bras---I wear a 32DDD and am old, so my girls practically reach my ankles when not in a bra (sorry--TMI?)  I am literally uncomfortable when not wearing a bra. :(

• Upvote 11
  • Love 9

I have never in my life seen an older person running around the house barefoot. By the time you’re old your poor little feets have suffered a lot of abuse and carried your weight for many miles and they hurt.  Be kind to those feet.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I have never in my life seen an older person running around the house barefoot. By the time you’re old your poor little feets have suffered a lot of abuse and carried your weight for many miles and they hurt.  Be kind to those feet.

I’m old and only wear shoes when I leave my house.  I’d be barefoot 24/7 if I could get away with it.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

33 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

re: bras---I wear a 32DDD and am old, so my girls practically reach my ankles when not in a bra (sorry--TMI?)  I am literally uncomfortable when not wearing a bra. :(

I’m in the same boat, with a 34H. Smaller busted women, take note: not all of us really have a choice in whether or not to wear one, and it’s beyond obnoxious to constantly be lectured about it by someone who literally has no idea how uncomfortable (and sometimes painful!) a lack of support can be. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

I don’t like having bare feet because I have Raynauds so even in summer I wear indoor slippers. I feel like a granny but I don’t care. I don’t like having dirt from outside spread through the house on shoes, but it is fairly common here to have shoes off inside - guests automatically take themoff and it doesn’t bother me too much if they leave them on. Hubby and kids all go barefoot. Thankfully it’s easy to find cute slippers these days. I currently have these (it’s autumn now so I’ll get a warmer pair soon).

https://www.bedbathntable.com.au/miami-embroided-slippers-19228

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I'm a J cup, going braless is not an option. If I have a lazy day at home I'll go braless.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

How old is older? My parents are 75 and they go barefoot (it’s Florida) unless they have guests or are out in the yard.

• Upvote 6

Do the no shoes in the house people not entertain at home? Would everyone at a dinner party be sitting around in nice clothes but barefoot? If Queen Elizabeth invites you to Buckingham Palace, are you going to kick off your shoes? 

My grandmother always wore shoes for parties. But she had them in a shoe bag in her purse and changed when she arrived. My aunt and mom does the same, for parties, usually combined with wearing pantyhose. (I have an issue with showing the feet of pantyhose’s). But “bring your own party shoes” is reserved for birthday parties or Christmas. During a regular dinner I would never expect anyone to bring indoor shoes, and outdoor shoes are unacceptable.

Socks are a big deal though! Almost all of the year people wear socks. (Pretty socks). It’s only during a few summer months that sandals and bare feet is an option. During that time of year I usually keep a pair of ankle socks in my purse, to put on when I visit someone else’s home. Being barefoot feels like stepping over a line, and is reserved for very close friends!

275d46ed47ebfdee2274ba9e2b6902fd.jpg
  • Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

How old is older? My parents are 75 and they go barefoot (it’s Florida) unless they have guests or are out in the yard.

My mom is 72 and never wears shoes at home, even in winter. I’m 48 and I never go barefoot.  

I’m a 36B and I like bras.  All of mine are underwire but I think I’m just lucky that I have a standard shape, because i don’t think they’re uncomfortable, and sometimes I forget it’s on and I’ll sleep in it. I know that’s not normal......

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I have never in my life seen an older person running around the house barefoot.

You have never seen me, LOL. I despise toe prisons and love the freedom of bare feet. I'm 63.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

Free the feets!!  I hate shoes. Moving to California from NY was feet heaven. Flip flops, bare feet, tennis shoes for work. We wear flops everywhere and any occasion.  I love it!  I was a barefoot kid during summer. Stepped on some bees and thorns. Just teaches one to be careful is all. Firmly team bare feet!

Feet are so washable.  I usually turn the hose on, wet a patch of grass and scrub. Bam! Brand new shiny feets!  Than I take a hose water drink for nostalgia and apocalypse prep. Lol!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Love 8

12 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Do the no shoes in the house people not entertain at home? Would everyone at a dinner party be sitting around in nice clothes but barefoot? If Queen Elizabeth invites you to Buckingham Palace, are you going to kick off your shoes? 

It's a cultural thing. In my husband's family's culture, it's considered rude to wear shoes to any indoor gathering, fancy or not. Wearing shoes is tracking in dirt, and that's what's considered disrespectful. It was a new experience for me, but I've found I like  it a lot.

Going out barefoot is one of the joys of summer. If Henry steps on a tack that unfortunate, but life is full of risks. He can split his head open by literally just walking on pavement. As lonng as they aren't taking unnecessary risks--like letting them go barefoot in an area full of broken glass--than I'm not going to judge.

This might be an unpopular opinion here on FJ, but I honestly couldn't give a damn about Queen Elizabeth. I'd meet her barefoot Grace O'Malley style. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

Queen Elizabeth has seen far more noteworthy  things in her many decades and travels. I don’t think bare feet will offend her. Mind the Corgis though They snap ;)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Coming out of lurkdom only to chime in that I love when FJ loops back around to shoes in the house. Did I miss the crunchy/smooth peanut butter debate?

Also, shoes off. Bra off. Smooth ftw.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Free the feets!!  I hate shoes. Moving to California from NY was feet heaven. Flip flops, bare feet, tennis shoes for work. We wear flops everywhere and any occasion.  I love it!  I was a barefoot kid during summer. Stepped on some bees and thorns. Just teaches one to be careful is all. Firmly team bare feet!

Feet are so washable.  I usually turn the hose on, wet a patch of grass and scrub. Bam! Brand new shiny feets!  Than I take a hose water drink for nostalgia and apocalypse prep. Lol!

And the teats!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, J'Lurker said:

Did I miss the crunchy/smooth peanut butter debate?

You’re right, the shoes on/off discussion is a regular topic, as is what we call our parents and the perennial doona/duvet discussion. I think peanut butter has been relegated to topics of doom, but it hasn’t, crunchy for me!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

Jessa shared some of the homeschool materials her siblings use* on her stories:

749F7691-F8EF-4A7B-86CC-D12D54D88556.thumb.png.1ebcb3ee907a9553413e621de1bcd6be.png

Spoiler

4C354D53-2D6C-4017-AA4C-F58363FE85DB.thumb.png.ca537869c229262862b60c75d982ff32.png

Spoiler

4B5486F2-A238-4218-918B-B7D5DCCA6E9F.thumb.png.07980fa1f3a9be16b0df3976a77181af.png

Spoiler

27D5C81A-A198-4166-923F-1EB13EEBD0F3.thumb.png.b2406404d8bd9083e9b3f5d7d686e157.png

Spoiler

1BE47EFA-99F2-4E22-9E47-57B71BF7DFB2.thumb.png.ce0d5f4cbf464f36aca4e276333ecc73.png

I have no clue how good these are. I was hoping someone here could share their opinions about them. I’m pretty sure that Tyler is shown in that first screenshot as well, so I’m hoping the materials are at least decent. 

*Jessa probably should have said people have been asking what materials her parents have chosen to use with her siblings. I was confused for half a second at first thinking she was talking about her married siblings, which didn’t make sense since most of them aren’t homeschooling yet. 

• Upvote 9

My father regularly made people miserable and uncomfortable by insisting on shoes off. It was not normal in mid90s suburban Kansas and thus it is something I will never insist on. (Or, if I am rich and have fancy ass floors you will have slippers. Probably I will have housekeeping by then)

Twas also not normal for my fashionable and mannered grandmother. They argued about it all the way to the end. Including both parties relocation to Florida. At that point Dad had stone floors. His dog was trained to stop to get his paws wiped. He had/has a house cleaner. She wanted her heels.

Great grandma was of the same model. She had high heeled slippers because her tendons had shortened.

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Queen Elizabeth has seen far more noteworthy  things in her many decades and travels. I don’t think bare feet will offend her. Mind the Corgis though They snap ;)

The last corgi has died. Link

I can't believe we're having this discussion again. 

I've never lived anywhere were shoes on was the norm. Here in Alaska, the combination of the Scandinavian, Asian, and climate mean shoes off for pretty much everyone. In Hawaii, it's shoes off. In the midwest, it was shoes off. 

I've also known tons of "older people" who go barefoot. Could just be a "hippy" thing, but IDK. 

• Upvote 7

I don’t wear shoes inside (or anywhere, if I can help it) but if guests come over I don’t expect them to take theirs off unless they want to. Mind you, 3/4 of my house is tiled floors. I don’t want shoes in (carpeted) bedrooms or on furniture. Shoes on the couch is a definite no-no.

As for bras, I’m an E cup and could manage not wearing one around the house but I play soccer and OW HELL NO to going bra-less and playing sport.

• Upvote 5

I’d slap myself in the face if I went bra-less during sport. 

I only wear one kind of soft bra, have it in four colours and would probably cry if they ever stopped making them. I want support but I refuse to be uncomfortable. No underwires allowed.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

I'm a 36D, so not that small but I just really hate the bra band around my chest/back.  It always feels so constricting, but I feel the same way about the waist of most jeans/pants. I'm happiest barefoot and braless in a soft dress or romper. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Jessa shared some of the homeschool materials her siblings use* on her stories:

749F7691-F8EF-4A7B-86CC-D12D54D88556.thumb.png.1ebcb3ee907a9553413e621de1bcd6be.png

Hide contents

4C354D53-2D6C-4017-AA4C-F58363FE85DB.thumb.png.ca537869c229262862b60c75d982ff32.png

Hide contents

4B5486F2-A238-4218-918B-B7D5DCCA6E9F.thumb.png.07980fa1f3a9be16b0df3976a77181af.png

Hide contents

27D5C81A-A198-4166-923F-1EB13EEBD0F3.thumb.png.b2406404d8bd9083e9b3f5d7d686e157.png

Hide contents

1BE47EFA-99F2-4E22-9E47-57B71BF7DFB2.thumb.png.ce0d5f4cbf464f36aca4e276333ecc73.png

I have no clue how good these are. I was hoping someone here could share their opinions about them. I’m pretty sure that Tyler is shown in that first screenshot as well, so I’m hoping the materials are at least decent. 

*Jessa probably should have said people have been asking what materials her parents have chosen to use with her siblings. I was confused for half a second at first thinking she was talking about her married siblings, which didn’t make sense since most of them aren’t homeschooling yet. 

It's a step up from Wisdom Booklets and Switched-On Schoolhouse? Charlotte Mason style teaching is fun, but the site she links for reading lists looks weird to me. Super Vision Forum-y: in Year 6, the Geography readings are just a book about David Livingstone's missionary work in Africa and Richard Halliburton's books about exploring "the Orient" and "the Occident" from the 1930s.

• WTF 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 8

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic