IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

To Jessa: 

You underestimate us dear. Simply bare foot! Outside! Is enough to make some here at FJ clutch their pearls and have the vapors.

@Satan'sFortress you may be over creaming the butter and sugar. No more than 2 min should suffice. I also read too low of an oven temp will spread cookies so up your temp on the recipe next time :)

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, nst said:

send me some please :)

recipe please 

I echo this!

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

AMEN. I add a teeeeeny bit more vanilla and definitely more chips - but YUM

Absolutely!  I double the vanilla!  I use a bunch in my french toast as well. I like the amount of chips but sometimes add crunched up walnuts in half the batch ?

• Upvote 1

As someone who has a love/hate relationship with shoes and who in the summer, will take my shoes off to walk on the nice soft green grass, I don't think no shoes are a super big deal. Good try at being snarky though. 

P.S It is said that you know that Carm is drunk when neither she nor you can find her shoes. Shoes are the devil, no matter how comfy, then. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

P.S It is said that you know that Carm is drunk when neither she nor you can find her shoes. Shoes are the devil, no matter how comfy, then. 

I'm with you. Down with toe prisons. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

I'm with you. Down with toe prisons. 

When I was little, my shoes would come off the minute I walked in the door, even before my coat. I still do that, because the shoe area is in the back hallway I need to walk through to go to where my coat goes!

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

She’s pre-snarking us.

I may print this on a slip of paper and tape it to my computer

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 1

My only hope is that she washes those kids’ feet  really well before she puts them into bed. Dirty feet in the bed really bother me.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

21 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Anyone a snickerdoodle fan? They are my absolute favorite!  I am thinking of making up a batch big enough for a small city this week :) 

I love them! Just finished a pack from Meijers. Please send me some.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 4

@Satan'sFortress,  America's Test Kitchen recommends a mixture of butter and shortening for the fat.  Shortening is better for the texture and butter is way better for the taste so you mix them.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jessa has a Facebook post up with the boys playing outside at a farm. She says, “yes, we’re barefoot...we kept away from the barbed wire...there, beat ya to it!”

She’s pre-snarking us.

Not necessarily here, I believe it was aimed at those who comment on her posts

• Upvote 3

I always stick my cookie sheet with dough in the freezer for about five minutes before baking with these standard drop cookies or butter cookies to avoid spreading.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

My favorite cookie, hands down,  is a freshly made piece of shortbread. I usually have a couple of logs of shortbread dough in the freezer ready for my every whim. Butter and sugar, what’s not to love?

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

Dirty feet always bother me. I was never the kid who played outside barefoot and I don't let my own kids do it either unless they're running through a sprinkler or on a trampoline or something. Just.....wear shoes. Protect your feet. I know it's a personal choice but I'm irrationally bothered by it. :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

As someone who has a love/hate relationship with shoes and who in the summer, will take my shoes off to walk on the nice soft green grass, I don't think no shoes are a super big deal. Good try at being snarky though. 

When my daughter was little she called her bare feet her “country shoes”. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12
  • Love 7

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

?️  Me!  Me!  Me! 

But here's the thing--i absolutely cannot make them!  I am a pretty good baker & can make other fantastic cookies, but not snickerdoodles.  Growing up, my sister made them, and they were always perfect.  I can't imagine what I am doing wrong.  They come out too flat. Nothing sadder than wanting snickerdoodles, mixing the dough, rolling them in cinnamon sugar, putting them into the oven, and then taking out ruined cookies.  :crying-yellow:

Maybe I should use @MathQueen's book!

My recipe works well for me. I only do one baking sheet at a time, that seemed to help.

1 stick softened butter 

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Sugar and cinnamon for rolling

Mix the butter and sugars together, then add the egg and vanilla. Mix well. In a different bowl mix flour, salt, soda, and cream of tartar. Add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 300. Make a cinn/sugar mixture in a bowl, put a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Make balls of dough and roll them in the sugar mix, bake for 14-16 min. I like them soft so I do 14. Do this in two batches, putting dough back in fridge between batches. It makes maybe 18 cookies, depending on the size. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

One of my favourite wedding photos features me and Mr Smee walking down a street together, my bouquet in one hand, shoes in the other. I kept them on for the ceremony, at least? On Sunday night I couldn’t find my thongs (flip flops) so I just went to church barefoot instead. If anyone noticed, they didn’t comment.

I tried making oat cookies yesterday. Half the batch stuck to the tray and crumbled when getting them unstuck, so I put the broken cookies into a bowl with a bit of warm chocolate fudge and a cup of raisins, mixed it all together and pressed into a slice pan. It’s a pretty delicious accidental slice.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

How many people wear shoes in the house? My shoes don't go on until I'm walking out the door, and they come off the second I walk into the house. I loath shoes for the most part and go barefoot or wear sandals for as long as possible.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

I usually wear flip flops indoors, I don't like being barefoot, I don't like being barefoot outside either. If I don't wear flip flops indoors I wear socks. Never shoes. They go off as soon as I get inside, same if I'm visiting someone else.  

If Henry found a nail on the truck, is it safe for them to walk around there barefoot? 

• Upvote 4

I love going barefoot, I'm currently forced to wear slippers inside because of cold floors, and I can't wait till summer when I can finally go barefoot again. I like going barefoot outside too if it's safe enough, but I wouldn't go barefoot in the back of that truck.  And dirty feet are the sign of a summer day well spent, as far as I'm concerned.  But I resent clothing in general and I'd be mostly naked all the time if it were warm enough and socially acceptable. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 6

Several years for Christmas  I made  a pistachio roll cookie dipped in Chocolate. Turned out soft , cakey and delicious. Sure wish I could find that recipe again :(

• Upvote 4

These are my favorite cookie recipes:

The chocolate chip ones have always worked well and come soft. I reduce the baking time by a minute or so because they continuous to bake while cooling and they do not need that much time. I also don't like crunchy cookies.

https://www.kelseysappleaday.com/2011/08/best-ever-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

This snickerdoodle recipe is Little Outta 1's hand down-would eat a whole plate-can you make them again-favorite. I had store bought snickerdoodles once as a child they were the most horrible thing I had ever tasted so I was very skeptical when I tried this recipe, but these are soft and cinnamon-y. They always come out perfect, but do stick to the exact time or they burn quick, I find them done enough at the the 8 minute mark.

http://www.glorioustreats.com/2010/09/recipe-snickerdoodles.html

(That blog also has a fabulous brownie recipe that Mr. Outta loves. Several lovely things on it. I should go back baking more, all this interest in politics is really getting in the way of my baking ;) )

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

Yeah. Snickerdoodles must be left in the oven for 10 min or less or they become Little hockey pucks. Ruined a few batches that way.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic