IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, J'Lurker said:

Coming out of lurkdom only to chime in that I love when FJ loops back around to shoes in the house. Did I miss the crunchy/smooth peanut butter debate?

Also, shoes off. Bra off. Smooth ftw.

What a great user name!

• I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

I’m going to stir the pot and add to the shoes in the house debate. Do you answer the door to your home barefoot or with shoes? I remember this being a discussion a long time ago. Someone said they thought answering the door with barefoot low class and tasteless.

I answer the door in my socks or indoor flip flops. I'm never barefoot. But I also never wear shoes inside. 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 3

I don’t wear shoes in my house, because, why? I do often wear socks (cold feet) or flip flops ( the soccer kind, not the ones with that horrible thing between the first 2 toes). In fact, I often wear the socks and the flips. But, I do not expect others to go shoeless in my house. Just like with the bra, in my home  I often am braless, but don’t expect the same of my visitors. Not my hills to die on.

On to Professora Jessa...why use that photo? In the grand scheme of things Jessa was in charge of the schooling for like a millisecond, and the kids weren’t those ages. In fact, I doubt she was ever responsible for much of the teaching besides getting the kids to the table, passing out the books and cleaning up afterwards. I think the Duggars just publicly assigned chores as to justify their horrible isolation of the kids, and to give the kids trumped up skills. Plus Jessa was a tyrant,and it seems from what some of the younger kids have said, someone to be feared in Duggarville.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Fixed repeat content in quote
  • Upvote 6

We just went to IKEA for garbage bags. They didn’t have them [emoji31] but we came home with other stuff for about 400 Swedish kronor (about $ 3.5).
6745b031ff43c318a46e1b7630d63c68.jpg

We also had Fika (we’re Swedes so it’s mandatory)

4fcc4bfd857832acf3b1d434f6f9a240.jpg

And found a whole section of Malm [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

4408e3dae1cb6346e309bc9b57de1201.jpg

• Upvote 10
  • Love 6

On 4/8/2019 at 5:09 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Sorry to interrupt the cookie thread drift, but I just caught up and want to respond to the feminist discussion. 

From @luv2laugh's posting history I think she's relatively new to feminism, currently stuck somewhere between the 1st and 2nd waves, and is trying to convince both herself and others with all the zeal and defensiveness of a new convert. Thanks to everyone who offered up useful correctives to her, hopefully she'll learn from them. I do think her heart is in the right place. 

Also oatmeal raisin cookies are the best cookies, but golden raisins are the spawn of Satan. You think you're getting a proper raisin, but then you realize your cookie is ruined when you put it in your mouth! 

• Love 1

On the bra thread drift, has anyone tried Lively (a cute, ethical brand I've heard of) or Third Love (where you take a quiz and get a bra that apparently fits you perfectly). I've been needing to replace my whole undergarment drawer recently (my standbys are getting ragged) and I want to know if something actually works before spending money on something poor quality. I'm have a 29 inch ribcage and a 36 inch bust, which apparently means nothing to online bra stores because whenever I order a 30DD/32D they never fit, despite the fact that I followed the measuring instructions online exactly.

I just want a bra that fits. Please help me.

ETA: I've also answered the door to a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses in sock feet, velociraptor pajama pants, a T-shirt with the seal of Satan on it, and a margarita in hand, at 11 AM on a Sunday. Because I am the EPITOME of class and grace.

Edited by MargaretElliott
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 15
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I’m going to stir the pot and add to the shoes in the house debate. Do you answer the door to your home barefoot or with shoes? I remember this being a discussion a long time ago. Someone said they thought answering the door with barefoot low class and tasteless.

LOL - I think this whole discussion has shown that it's very regional.  One person might think 'oh my goodness, how low class to answer the door barefoot!' while someone else thinks, 'why on earth would you bring the filth of the streets into your home?'  

(Personally a) I don't answer the door to random people, b) if it's the mailman or fed-ex I don't care, c) if I'm expecting people over I'm usually in socks in colder months and sandals in warmer months but occasionally barefoot. )

• Upvote 11

I'm just really glad FJ spends more time discussing footwear (and where it should or shouldn't be worn) than the actual feet themselves. I'm part of a Sister Wives snark facebook group and their obsession with the Browns' feet terrifies me. I hate feet. Despise feet! And whenever a new picture is shared of someone's bare feet my brain just kinda naturally avoids that part of the picture. But this group? Nonstop chatter about how dirty their feet are (it's like a running joke) and it always makes me look and ugh I hate it.

Typing all of that just made me die a little inside.

With all of that said, we're definitely a no shoes inside type of family. I don't make company take 'em off though. And heck yeah I'll answer my door barefoot. I think the pizza boy cares way more about being fast and getting tipped than staring at my feet. I hope anyway. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

@MargaretElliott I am a size 30F. I ordered from third love and the bra still gave me "four boob" spillage. I am not a fan. For now I stick with my full coverage, unlined Victoria's secret size 32dd on the smallest hook. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

I’m the lowest of the low. The UPS man gives me crap for being barefoot in the snow on the regular. (It’s always the same guy.)

ETA: and I’m usually in PJ pants too. (I work from home so why wear $75 real pants when $5 PJ pants work and are more comfy?) 98% of the time no bra either.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

On the bra thread drift, has anyone tried Lively (a cute, ethical brand I've heard of) or Third Love (where you take a quiz and get a bra that apparently fits you perfectly). I've been needing to replace my whole undergarment drawer recently (my standbys are getting ragged) and I want to know if something actually works before spending money on something poor quality. I'm have a 29 inch ribcage and a 36 inch bust, which apparently means nothing to online bra stores because whenever I order a 30DD/32D they never fit, despite the fact that I followed the measuring instructions online exactly.

I feel your pain.  We're about the same measurements.  My rib cage is 28" and my bust is 35".   I currently wear the Wacoal Awareness Bra in 32DDD. I put a picture below.  It fits well & is comfortable.  And yet, I recently tried a bunch of different styles, because I am so tired of wearing that bra---just wanted something different---but nothing fit.  Oddly, when I use Wacoal's own fit calculator on their website, it says I should be in a 32C.  I don't think I could fit into a C cup if I had a tub of Crisco, a shoehorn, and a team of helpers.

If you have a Nordstrom near you, they have a decent selection of non standard sizes & usually someone who can help with a fitting.  I have a lingerie shop near me & they helped, too.

Spoiler

image.png.93c9be234dedfdf983055f9ba0d02194.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

Russian here, shoes inside is a huge social no no. Even if I forget something in my room, I take off my shoes to run and get it, then I put them back on and leave. Just how we are. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Silas said:

And heck yeah I'll answer my door barefoot. I think the pizza boy cares way more about being fast and getting tipped than staring at my feet. I hope anyway. 

As a part-time pizza delivery person, I guarantee he does not care and probably doesn't notice. We see some real weird shit. Meeting cute dogs is the best part! 

On the topic of bras, I'm around 30/32HH and always struggle to find ones that fit well so please keep posting! Have a couple of Bravissimo ones that are not great and one totally incorrect size (but still fits nicely) from Charnos.  

• Upvote 8

Has anyone tried this yet?  They look super comfy and reasonable prices.  I’m thinking about getting one.

Spoiler

71EE98A9-0F89-4D3A-95FF-BC334B923F29.thumb.png.a81f9f69c89545851131bb5f8775740c.png

4 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Has anyone tried this yet?  They look super comfy and reasonable prices.  I’m thinking about getting one.

Hide contents

71EE98A9-0F89-4D3A-95FF-BC334B923F29.thumb.png.a81f9f69c89545851131bb5f8775740c.png

I think that looks like a recipe for weird central monoboob and between boob sweat! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

I’m the lowest of the low. The UPS man gives me crap for being barefoot in the snow on the regular. (It’s always the same guy.)

ETA: and I’m usually in PJ pants too. (I work from home so why wear $75 real pants when $5 PJ pants work and are more comfy?) 98% of the time no bra either.

I'm pretty low too, yesterday I greeted the mailman in nothing but a robe, with bare feet and hairy legs in full view!  He rang the bell right when I was getting into the shower, but he knows not to expect much by now! ?

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

ETA: I've also answered the door to a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses in sock feet, velociraptor pajama pants, a T-shirt with the seal of Satan on it, and a margarita in hand, at 11 AM on a Sunday. Because I am the EPITOME of class and grace.

I’ve used ThirdLove it’s very handy! Saved me from leaving my house and now my bra covers my boobs properly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

For those with the big boobs and pain with a bra, I personally have turned to sports bras 99% of the time. There's a bit of a uniboob going on, but I find it preferable to uncomfortable, tight wires digging into my skin.

And I do have a lovely story to share about JWs and greeting them barefoot (and more).  I have a friend who's very much a hippy. She didn't have her kids for the weekend, and so was naked in her home that Sunday.  When the JWs knocked, she answered the door buck naked. They hightailed it out of there pretty quickly. Bonus: they never returned!

So if you're looking for a permanent solution to a temporary JW problem, answering the door naked might be right for you!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16
  • Love 4

I had a worker in the this past week who put  booties over his shoes, and I thanked him for doing so. To which he replied, “If you’d seen some of the homes I enter, you’d wear booties too.” It was HIS protection. LOL!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 15

I have house slippers and corridor slippers for like mail and garbage. But most of the time I'm barefoot. My mom always yells put some slippers on ?

• Upvote 4

Barefoot exceot in winter when my feet get too cold shoes off household, creamy peanut butter, I need new bras but loathe shopping for them, comforter, and I let this one answer the door for me. Scares them off every time although you can't tell from this couch potato shot.

Spoiler

20190411_161108.jpg

Edited by WiseGirl
spoiler is a challenge for me today
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2

No shoes in the house. Shoes go off and are put on the shoe rack, so that the cats can't play with them. I'm not spending my time scrubbing bog, salt, and all the other crap that comes in on people's shoes. I wipe my cat's feet when the come in, I offer slippers or slipper socks with the grippy things. But no shoes. 

If you want to track bog and stuff into your house, that's fine; but not mine. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Two things - one, I love you so much for this it’s hard to express in writing ?

Two - I finally have an opening for my first JW encounter about two weeks ago. I live rurally so we never get Mormons or such out this far. Imagine my surprise when two nice ladies in a sedan pulled up with a bunch of JW literature. Y’all! I was so excited! After all these years on FJ it was like my own personal fundie encounter. (I know, not necessarily fundie, but close enough for me) They gave me an hour before asking if I had any neighbors who might want to talk to them and politely taking their leave. I was disappointed, really hoped for an invite to the Kingdom Hall, but no such luck ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic