IGNORED

Lori Alexander 61: Harridan MIL

Lori seems to believe that the "pill" and other methods of birth control were late 20th century phenomenon.  No surprise there.  Since we are on the subject of diaphragms, yep, they have been around awhile., here is a short history of condoms (Wikipedia).

The history of condoms goes back at least several centuries, and perhaps beyond. For most of their history, condoms have been used both as a method of birth control, and as a protective measure against sexually transmitted diseases. Condoms have been made from a variety of materials; prior to the 19th century, chemically treated linen and animal tissue (intestine or bladder) are the best documented varieties. Rubber condoms gained popularity in the mid-19th century, and in the early 20th century major advances were made in manufacturing techniques.

Prior to the introduction of the combined oral contraceptive pill, condoms were the most popular birth "control" method in the Western world. In the second half of the 20th century, the low cost of condoms contributed to their importance in family planning programs throughout the developing world. Condoms have also become increasingly important in efforts to fight the AIDS pandemic. The OLDEST CONDOMS ever excavated were found in a cesspit located in the grounds of Dudley Castle and were made from animal membrane, the condoms dated back to as early as 1642!

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Liza how to make your very own sheepgut condoms

Also herbal remedies for birth controll are known since ancient times. They even used crocodile dung for contraception. http://en.muvs.org/topic/what-women-in-antiquity-used-to-do-for-contraception-en/

In the 19th century, advertisements for pills and teas containing pennyroyal and/ or other herbs to get a late period to "flow", in ladies magazines where common. They where either ineffective and/ or even dangerous and even caused some death for some users.

The history of birth control and abortion is really facinating. It show's against Lori's claim that birth control and abortion are something modern. People trough all ages wanted to prevent pregnancy or abort a pregnancy they don't want. Even hormonal BC isn't that new, the first generation of the pill was developed in the 1950's and is the same age as her.

1342961635_LoriAlexanderconfusesbirthcontrolandabortion.JPG.371ffefbd92dfb2ef0a5ad7f376848ac.JPG

This is a typical example of Lori's unclear thinking.   She conflates birth control and abortion.  Lori:  birth control PREVENTS conception making abortion unnecessary.  Secondly, long ago (prior to the 1930's mostly) women had many children BECAUSE many died in childbirth or during childhood.  Now that that is a thing of the past, women do not need to have as many. 

The truth is, Lori, that you practiced birth control and you even said your 4th child was unexpected, which points to a birth control mishap of some sort.  You never practiced/nor do you practice now,  what you preach. 

You read Debbie Pearl in an attempt to fix your marriage so that Ken would not leave.   I  wonder if you wrote your book to  'give back', or if it was last-ditch attempt to do something with your life?   The blog followed.  All of those things are a way to "do something". 

If all you wanted to be was a happy homemaker, why the book and the blogs?  My guess?  You are bored.  You cant/won't work outside the home, so you satisfy your need to do 'something' by doing this.  Then, in order to deny your need, you say God called you to do it. 

I don't buy it.  Why?  Because you do not have a genuine interest in the women you mentor.  You allow men to treat the women on your blog horribly.  The women have no voice.  You block/ban and delete anyone who has a different view, no matter how respectfully it is presented.  Your way out is to simply call them unGodly.  But what is being Godly really all about?  It most certainly is not Godly to treat women like dirt.

@klein_roeschen,  I'd forgotten that episode where Phyrne used her diaphragm to catch the huntsman spider.  ( Sister FJer, @Blahblah had an incident with a huntsman spider  on the sun visor of her car several years ago.)  

Thanks, too, for your history of the diaphragm.  Now I know why they are sometimes called Dutch caps!

I don’t understand how it is the women’s fault for the abortion when the man wants it. Why is the blame always on the women? No one truly knows what someone is going through unless they have been there. I know at least three women that have had abortions. No one took the decision lightly. It’s something that has stayed with them and will continue to do so. A17B749B-CEC9-4936-B5AA-4D81BE261395.thumb.jpeg.09c1a4793d9b27dacd5fafc7bbda0d0d.jpeg

The worldwide economic collapse in the 1930s contributed heavily to lower birth rates. In the United States, the Depression years saw both lower marriage and birth rates. Yes, there was birth control, but people weren't using it because they hated God or children or because of feminism or any of the stupid shit Lori and her ilk spew. They couldn't feed a child or more children. I interviewed my grandparents and several great aunts and uncles about their lives in the Depression for my senior undergraduate history thesis. One of my great aunts told me, 60 years later, with tears running down her face about how she was eating so little when her oldest daughter was an infant that her milk stopped and she couldn't feed her. She did not have another child until after WW2. 

This brings us to the proven fact that high unemployment or uncertain employment consistently results in lower marriage and birth rates. Better social safety nets, better policies for access to health care and child care, paid maternity leave, equal pay and higher pay in general, etc...would do more to increase the birth rate than yammering about abortion, birth control, women going to work and the (alleged) virtues of motherhood. 

On 1/25/2019 at 8:54 PM, Sarah92 said:

Also who needs lube when you could just make a grilled cheese? Don't want to waste all that extra butter! And even better after ten minutes you have a snack to reward yourself with! 

Right?! And aren't you supposed to make him a sammich for afterward anyway??? :laughing-rolling: 

14 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

She should win an Oscar for acting like a submissive wife

I have to disagree with just this one bit.  Lori's terrible at acting like a submissive wife.  She's more or less learned her lines, but she's about as convincing in the role as a 7-year-old in the school play (no disrespect intended to 7-year-olds).  No Oscar for Lori.  Also, she should consider brushing up on her lines for the "Compassionate Christian" and "Loving Mother" roles, because she keeps flubbing those.

6 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

@Liza how to make your very own sheepgut condoms

Also herbal remedies for birth controll are known since ancient times. They even used crocodile dung for contraception. http://en.muvs.org/topic/what-women-in-antiquity-used-to-do-for-contraception-en/

In the 19th century, advertisements for pills and teas containing pennyroyal and/ or other herbs to get a late period to "flow", in ladies magazines where common. They where either ineffective and/ or even dangerous and even caused some death for some users.

The history of birth control and abortion is really facinating. It show's against Lori's claim that birth control and abortion are something modern. People trough all ages wanted to prevent pregnancy or abort a pregnancy they don't want. Even hormonal BC isn't that new, the first generation of the pill was developed in the 1950's and is the same age as her.

On the old History Channel special "The History of Sex," they talked about a plant that was so valued in Ancient Rome for its contraceptive effects that it was foraged to extinction.

Also remember, WW2 happened on the heels of the Great Depression.  My maternal grandmother had her children in 1939, 1940 and 1942.  Then grandpa went into the Navy working in the shipyards.  No more kids after that.  My parents had us in 1959 and 1961.  My mother chose to use bc because my dad was unemployed and having issues with depression and alcohol.  She also had a total hysterectomy at 30 because of cervical cancer. 

This whole rant on bc has to be targeted at someone she knows, as usual.  It's her mean claw swipe at somebody.

7 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

They even used crocodile dung for contraception.

We had a delightful recent discussion about this.

1 hour ago, FullOfGravy said:

I have to disagree with just this one bit.  Lori's terrible at acting like a submissive wife.  She's more or less learned her lines, but she's about as convincing in the role as a 7-year-old in the school play (no disrespect intended to 7-year-olds).  No Oscar for Lori.  Also, she should consider brushing up on her lines for the "Compassionate Christian" and "Loving Mother" roles, because she keeps flubbing those.

I do think she acts convincingly enough for Ken to keep her around, in their private interactions. All of Lori Alexander's roles are performative and phony. Perhaps, more accurately, I could have said that Lori Alexander should win an award, Oscar or whatever, for her pretense at being a submissive wife. I don't think we are really disagreeing. Bottom line: Lori Alexander is as phony as a three dollar bill.

I used a diaphragm for many years in the late seventies and early eighties. I was taught that proper use always included a spermicide. The spermicide also made insertion easier and helped create suction around the cervix.

19 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

Also remember, WW2 happened on the heels of the Great Depression.  My maternal grandmother had her children in 1939, 1940 and 1942.  Then grandpa went into the Navy working in the shipyards.  No more kids after that.  My parents had us in 1959 and 1961.  My mother chose to use bc because my dad was unemployed and having issues with depression and alcohol.  She also had a total hysterectomy at 30 because of cervical cancer. 

This whole rant on bc has to be targeted at someone she knows, as usual.  It's her mean claw swipe at somebody.

Exactly. The reason that the generation from that period is called the Silent Generation (1925 or thereabout to 1945) is because they are the children born during the Depression and WW2 when birth rates were very low and are a small cohort. (For those unaware--economic trouble hit the agricultural sector in the early 20s, predating the 1929 collapse). 

And low birth rates during the war were for obvious reasons, not feminism, women working, hating God, etc...but I'm sure Lori would be too dim to figure out the obvious reason. She'd probably blame women working in war related industry instead. Cause women who stay home could have reproduced asexually. Or something like that. 

5 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I don’t understand how it is the women’s fault for the abortion when the man wants it. Why is the blame always on the women? No one truly knows what someone is going through unless they have been there. I know at least three women that have had abortions. No one took the decision lightly. It’s something that has stayed with them and will continue to do so.

If a woman follows the command of Dave, is it still her fault?  I've posted this before, and likely will again, because Lori deletes things she disagrees with, but left this up.  

1548625123982.jpg

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@klein_roeschen,  I'd forgotten that episode where Phyrne used her diaphragm to catch the huntsman spider.  ( Sister FJer, @Blahblah had an incident with a huntsman spider  on the sun visor of her car several years ago.)  

Thanks, too, for your history of the diaphragm.  Now I know why they are sometimes called Dutch caps!

Hah. Yes that was horrific. Still grateful that I didn't flip the visor down while I was actually driving!

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I do think she acts convincingly enough for Ken to keep her around, in their private interactions. All of Lori Alexander's roles are performative and phony. Perhaps, more accurately, I could have said that Lori Alexander should win an award, Oscar or whatever, for her pretense at being a submissive wife. I don't think we are really disagreeing. Bottom line: Lori Alexander is as phony as a three dollar bill.

Oh, definitely not disagreeing about the main point where Lori is a giant faker; I just don't think she's good enough at faking it to deserve an award.  If Ken honestly thinks he's got himself a submissive wife, he's even dumber than I already thought he was.  If he keeps her around for some other reason - well, then they're a pair of unpleasant people being unpleasant to each other, and I guess at least neither of them is inflicted on some other spouse.

16 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

@PennySycamore the honourable Miss Phryne Fisher of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries uses also one in the late 1920's, she even catched a poisonous spider with it.

That was a very funny episode!  I did have to explain to Mr. Briefly that diaphragms were not a recent invention.

4 hours ago, FullOfGravy said:

If Ken honestly thinks he's got himself a submissive wife, he's even dumber than I already thought he was.

He's pretty damn dumb though. I still think Lori is good at faking, she sure has her leghumpers convinced that she is some kind of holy woman.

Re the Depression and birth rates:  My grandparents’ youngest child was born in 1932, after my grandfather lost his shirt in the Depression when his company went under. My mom was seven years old at the time, and remembered him sitting at the kitchen table in tears. Grandpa actually went to the priest to talk about birth control, and was told “God will provide.” That’s when Grandpa stopped going to church. (Oh, and Grandma kept the family from starving by doing piecework at the kitchen table.)

In Russell Baker’s memoir “Growing Up,” he recounted how his widowed mother allowed well-to-do relatives to adopt her youngest child, because she literally could not afford to feed and clothe her. 

But, yeah, Lori, the good old days were all sunshine and buttercups.

4 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

It must be a slow news day.

I feel sick at the thought that this ghastly harridan is getting actual media coverage. 

21 hours ago, Liza said:

Lori seems to believe that the "pill" and other methods of birth control were late 20th century phenomenon.  No surprise there.  Since we are on the subject of diaphragms, yep, they have been around awhile., here is a short history of condoms (Wikipedia).

The history of condoms goes back at least several centuries, and perhaps beyond. For most of their history, condoms have been used both as a method of birth control, and as a protective measure against sexually transmitted diseases. Condoms have been made from a variety of materials; prior to the 19th century, chemically treated linen and animal tissue (intestine or bladder) are the best documented varieties. Rubber condoms gained popularity in the mid-19th century, and in the early 20th century major advances were made in manufacturing techniques.

Prior to the introduction of the combined oral contraceptive pill, condoms were the most popular birth "control" method in the Western world. In the second half of the 20th century, the low cost of condoms contributed to their importance in family planning programs throughout the developing world. Condoms have also become increasingly important in efforts to fight the AIDS pandemic. The OLDEST CONDOMS ever excavated were found in a cesspit located in the grounds of Dudley Castle and were made from animal membrane, the condoms dated back to as early as 1642!

Well there you go introducing historical and scientific facts. I believe you can pass "Go" and head straight to Hades. 

13 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

8E3011C5-E093-4E29-8B93-84849A2DA4C8.thumb.jpeg.1ca8f037698fdc90ce7901d4579bc946.jpeg

Is a wife only good if she stays home? Asking for a friend.

lol Lori posting another quote that doesn't fit her all that well. She's not a thrifty housewife and Ken admitted here on FJ that he was worried years ago about not having money for retirement because Lori spending a lot on food and supplements. 

This woman's reply to the post rubbed me the wrong way. She like some of Lori's other fangirls focuses way too much on the men just being providers who only take care of the family in a monetary sense.  

Rinah-I wish, there was a “Transformed Husband” page as well. Everything here focuses on what the woman should be like and for many of these posts, I’ve found much to agree with or to desire for. I have 3 degrees, and I wanted a career. But now, I yearn for children and my own family. Since I lost my parents and not close to my siblings. I also yearn for a husband who will take care of me (as I will him). But as far as I see, the men of my millennial generation don’t actually have this notion of “taking care” of their wives. And many of the men don’t have the mind set that aligns with what is being said here re: a woman’s role. This only works, if the man is committed, hardworking and willing to be the provider. Yet, I find 0 men willing to take that up.

Maybe Rinah can't find men like that because they are aware of the world and can see that with a perpetually uncertain economy and stagnating wages, relying on one income is rarely going to work. Instead of immersing herself in Lori's fantasy world, she should wake up. 

I also think that post has a "looking for a daddy" vibe. Rinah likely needs a grief counselor before a husband. No man is going to be able to replace her parents.  It's kind of sad, actually. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived