IGNORED

Maxwell 28: You Can Leave Your Vest On!

Coconut Flan

Our hearts were touched and overwhelmed as we read how your hearts have been touched

This woman should never have been responsible for teaching anyone language or literacy skills.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

This woman should never have been responsible for teaching anyone language or literacy skills.

Or love, parenting, or how to be a decent human being.

She is excellent at teaching others how to abdicate their responsibilities though...she could teach grad level classes on that.

You those movies where the premise is someone can suddenly hear the thoughts of others, usually the opposite sex?

forget Vine Valley, I’d pay serious money to see a magical documentary where the Maxwell thoughts were genuine and unfiltered.  

19 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I’d actually prefer the colors that show every smudge.  As is, spills hide within the granite-look countertops and sneakily blend in to the wood tone cabinets and by the time I notice them all, it’s spatula and Maguc Eraser Time! ¡No bueno!

I'd always heard that you should have a kitchen floor in a color that doesn't show dirt.  You know what else it doesn't show?  Clean!  I'd prefer my floor to show the effort I've put into keeping it clean than not show dirt.  If a floor is dirty, it's dirty where you can see it or not.

Poor Sarah. 

She can't even try to attend Allison's young woman's conference - it's only up to age 29 (approximately). Any way you twist it, she's past even the approximate age. 

Not that any Maxwell would be allowed, but Sarah can't even imagine. 

Yet another reminder that in her world - the one ruled by defined female roles - she's past viability. Even for a so-called conference put on by a lonely, desperate woman who needs validation because she herself hasn't fulfilled her role yet. 

It's all so twisted and sad. 

I am reminded yet again that however imperfect my life has been, I have always had choices. I've made them for myself and good, bad or convoluted, they've always been my choices and no one elses. I've gotten to experience the joys, heartaches, fear, frustration, anger, desperation, sadness, hope, euphoria...of my very own life. 

14 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Poor Sarah. 

She can't even try to attend Allison's young woman's conference - it's only up to age 29 (approximately). Any way you twist it, she's past even the approximate age. 

Don't you think Allison would make an exception for Chelsy's Sister In Love? I'm sure for Alison  "young woman" is code-speak for "unmarried woman". The assumption being that all unmarried women are young. Even men who are (presumably) non-fundies think they are paying me a compliment when they address me as "young lady". Spoiler: They aren't. In fact they piss me off.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:37 AM, Dandruff said:

I wonder if they weigh the containers to make sure that portions are exactly the same.

You know what really bothers me? This quote from the Maxwell's bean burrito post: 

"When Dad packages the burrito mixture up, he will dip from each pot to try and even out any taste difference. There is usually one pot that is best, but this way it is more consistent."

The idea of Steve dipping spoonfuls of each batch into every freezer container to make sure everything tastes exactly the same makes me want to scream. It's like a nightmare. Why? What will happen if the burritos taste different?!!!

I am, and always have been, sadly fascinated with the burrito thing. It's like a metaphor for the Maxwell life: bland, controlled, and frozen. 

59 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

They let someone who admits their children are in public school win one of their prizes. 

I saw that also. I was in shock when I read that. 

Quite aside from the whole meat thing, those burritos just sound so... sloppy. The onions and jalapeños are all mixed into a paste and the burritos are stuffed with it. If they went to somewhere like (IDK) Chipotle, those burritos would blow their minds. There’s actual texture to those burritos, with rice, meat, cheese, guacamole, salsa, it’s not all ground up into slop. 

(I only mention Chipotle because we used to have a branch in my town, but we don’t anymore. All the U.K. branches are in London). 

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

The idea of Steve dipping spoonfuls of each batch into every freezer container to make sure everything tastes exactly the same makes me want to scream. It's like a nightmare. Why? What will happen if the burritos taste different?!!!

It's a slippery slope to surprises, and stimulation, and variety!  You may become a glutton and eat too many!  Next thing you know you want to eat three animal crackers and try new foods!  :pearlclutching:

Why burritos, though? It's so random to have that as a go-to food. Why not soup or lasagna or, you know, something more "American"? (Not trying to be racist myself, just trying to point out that these types don't generally like anything "foreign" or "Mexican" or whatever--though I don't specifically remember the Maxwells' stance on it.)

12 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I was in shock when I read this:

Would you believe the second comment was an international reader?

My mind is so blown right now. Unbelievable. An INTERNATIONAL READER, y'all. 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I don’t think they knew it was heathen public-schoolers until they notified them that they had won a prize. I’m sure the Maxwell’s will include notes from Steve and Terie’s hearts about why they need to quickly become homeschoolers. 

19 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Don't you think Allison would make an exception for Chelsy's Sister In Love? I'm sure for Alison  "young woman" is code-speak for "unmarried woman". The assumption being that all unmarried women are young.

Sarah could also attend as a Titus 2 mentor.  The Bible doesn't say that they have to be married themselves, just that aged women can teach good things.  As unmarried BG could pontificate about marriage, why can't Sarah.

Titus 2:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Even men who are (presumably) non-fundies think they are paying me a compliment when they address me as "young lady". Spoiler: They aren't. In fact they piss me off.

And the correct response to this is to look down your nose at them and say, "I'm not young and neither am I a lady!"

If this maneuver is performed with enough conviction the offenders will usually clasp their hands over their gonads and scuttle away.

43 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I don’t think they knew it was heathen public-schoolers until they notified them that they had won a prize. I’m sure the Maxwell’s will include notes from Steve and Terie’s hearts about why they need to quickly become homeschoolers. 

I realized that too, and wondered if it was someone from here haha.  The original comment was about the lord but the reply about themselves was so to the point and “we send our kids to public school” made me laugh. 

Funny story regarding the Bible binding.  My inlaws gave us a bag of husbands stuff from their house at Christmas. (I know many of us here are at different stages and are familiar with this problem - having your adult children’s “stuff” or being an adult child who left “stuff” at home). A Christmas present filled with it was kind of funny.  

Anyway - hubby is pretty staunchly athiest and I am not a Believer but I do at least keep my kids’ minds open and exposed to all beliefs.  One of the items in the bag was a Bible gifted to him upon his graduation from high school from the church. (I didn’t even know he went to church to his graduation years, though I know he was forced to go in childhood which led to a lot of his strong distaste for religion).

Despite my openess with my kids, I realized I actually didn’t have a Bible in the house, so it does make a nice addition.  I went to look at the binding (and “page feel”) out of curiosity after reading the Maxwell blog.  Turns out it’s (unsurprisingly) a really cheap covered Bible. But!!!!  It’s KJV!!  When I went to church, we did the NIV version. I had no idea there was even such a difference or I’d been led so astray.  

But anyway, I’m one step closer to heaven now.  I already considered myself a decent and charitable person, but with the KJV, that just covers one more base. 

Our go to meal is pasta. I always have sauce in the freezer. It is homemade and can be marinara or with homemade meatballs. As for the pasta itself I keep a variety in my pantry- ziti, rigatoni, spaghetti. Sometimes we buy  fresh ravioli. It gets better because sometimes I buy ricotta to put on top of the pasta and sauce.  Is that too much flavor and variety?  I cant imagine having the same bland burrito every Sunday. Mash beans fill burito repeat. Blah.  

4 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Despite my openess with my kids, I realized I actually didn’t have a Bible in the house, so it does make a nice addition.  I went to look at the binding (and “page feel”) out of curiosity after reading the Maxwell blog.  Turns out it’s (unsurprisingly) a really cheap covered Bible. But!!!!  It’s KJV!!  When I went to church, we did the NIV version. I had no idea there was even such a difference or I’d been led so astray.  

But anyway, I’m one step closer to heaven now.  I already considered myself a decent and charitable person, but with the KJV, that just covers one more base. 

Some familiarity with the Bible is very useful when it comes to solving crossword puzzles. Hardly a week goes by that I don't end up singing this song (albeit less lugubriously and inside my head) while working a crossword:

Spoiler

Although The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible and The Bible for Dummies are more accessible ways to gain literacy in this bit of Western Culture

3 hours ago, Candydandy said:

Is that too much flavor and variety?  

Yes, and you probably wear contrasting buttons, too.  Now go spend some time in the prayer closet, and go and sin no more.  :kitty-wink:

At the risk of seeming to be in open rebellion, I actually think there's a decent chance those burritos are pretty decent. Homemade tortillas are REALLY good, completely different from the store-bought stuff. You could fill them with paste and they would still be satisfying, which is exactly what the Maxwells do!

19 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

At the risk of seeming to be in open rebellion, I actually think there's a decent chance those burritos are pretty decent. Homemade tortillas are REALLY good, completely different from the store-bought stuff. You could fill them with paste and they would still be satisfying, which is exactly what the Maxwells do!

Generally I'd agree with you but this is the Maxwells. I am sure they've found a way to make homemade tortillas unsatisfying. I'm from an area that used to be Mexico and is majority Latinx and has some yummy carniceritas and the Maxwell "burritos" (more like wraps) make me triste (sad).

1 hour ago, zee_four said:

Generally I'd agree with you but this is the Maxwells. I am sure they've found a way to make homemade tortillas unsatisfying. I'm from an area that used to be Mexico and is majority Latinx and has some yummy carniceritas and the Maxwell "burritos" (more like wraps) make me triste (sad).

Yeah, I was in no way, shape, or form confusing what the Maxwells make for authentic Mexican food. I, too, am from a strongly Latinx area, and I understand the difference.* My point was just that fresh tortillas can mask a multitude of sins. Also, a food can be inauthentic and still be tasty. For example, New York-style pizza has very little resemblance to the pizza of Italy, but people are still allowed to like it.

*I am also, admittedly, a little salty on this point because my SoCal relatives routinely forget this when I visit and are incredibly condescending as they "introduce" me to the cuisine I've been eating since infancy. So I hope you'll excuse my annoyed tone; it's really directed at them! 

ETA: You’re right, though, @zee_four, if anyone can mess up a fresh tortilla it’s surely the Maxwells!

Random life post up.  Babysitting, babies being born, family time, church, birthdays, sequel to Finding Change. Same old shit different day.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived