IGNORED

Maxwell 28: You Can Leave Your Vest On!

Coconut Flan

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

@Lisafer  Do Adam Levine's nipples also make Steve Maxwell cry?

No, because they're MALE nipples. We've learned from pictures of the Maxwell men that male nipples are ok!

1 hour ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I figured out why they need the photos, so they can use those to cheat on the pencil drawings in the books.  Remember the old overhead projectors from school that projected transparencies onto a big screen?   There is a similar machine that works on the reverse, that you focus on the picture and it reflects the image on a flat surface so you can trace the image onto paper.  You can also use a copier to copy the picture and lighten the finished image down until you can barely see the print on the copy and then add your own penciled highlights.   That way you have a perfectly proportional image to start out with and embellish.  

Can we call the Maxwells cheaters?

20 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

A professional illustrator told me that this is a widespread and welcome practice by artists and people who hire artists, as well. Oh, the things they make us do in classes! LOL. I do understand the pint of improving one’s Skill in freehand drawing, rest assured.  

I recently got an Artograph projector, and I have a light board too. The projector is great for resizing things, and the light board is great for doing iterations of drawings - like the first sketch has a tree on one side, but you decide you want it flipped - so you can trace your first sketch onto a new sheet to improve it. Or transfer a sketch on scrap paper onto good paper for painting, or whatever. The projector is awesome to do murals with, too. I prefer to draw freehand, but if I'm majorly struggling with proportions I'm not opposed to tracing a couple existing photos of whatever I'm drawing to help get the proportions into my head and muscle memory, or to see what I'm messing up.

Tracing is an important part of learning to draw, and even the old masters sometimes used a camera obscura technique to project images to trace onto canvases. A huge part of training for painters in the renaissance was copying paintings by experienced masters. 

So I'm not going to be too hard on them for tracing their own photos for drawings, if that's what they do, especially knowing that they seem to do most of their drawing as assignments to accompany Sarah's assigned writing. I do give them the side-eye for having to have the photo exactly how they want it, though. It's not that hard to combine elements! Imagination is not a sin, Steve!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

An “Anna Maxwell” commented on Allison B’s latest blog post. I can’t tell which Anna. 

Damn it Anna Maxwells!  This is why you sign your names either Reversal Anna Maxwell or Non-Reversal Anna Maxwell! :annoyed:

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

An “Anna Maxwell” commented on Allison B’s latest blog post. I can’t tell which Anna. 

NR- Anna is not a real Maxwell.

Well, Rufus has laid it on my heart to write a love song for Poor Forgotten Jesse.  Some where a Fundie Maiden is pining after the vertically challenged muscly bespectacled Maxwell.

Jesse (with apologies to Carly Simon)

Free Jingers say a prayer for me
Jesse's come to town, it won't be easy
Please let him near me, please let him touch me
Please let him squeeze me

Jesse, I'll wear long skirts for you
Oh Jesse, and I'll give up the wine for you
Oh Jesse, and I will change the sheets for you
I won't put on make-up, I won't watch TV for you

Anna, keep reminding me that he'll want Bible Time
Like a daily chore
Sarah, tell me once again how to set him up
I will be his whore

Oh Jesse, I will change the sheets for you
No, no, no

Jesse, quick come here, I won't tell a soul
Not even myself
Jesse, now you've come here to me, my friends will all say
She's lost her brain
But how can anyone know what you mean to me
That I'm in heaven again
Because you've come here to me
Ooooh  ....   Jesse

Oh Jesse!

Well, Bible and book nerd that I am, I actually don't mind the latest post on quality Bibles.  :D

I would never answer on their page, but...since Steve likely reads here...my Kirkbride Bible Co. Thompson Chain Reference is still going strong after 31 years of regular use.  I don't use it daily any more, because I've gotten into Bible journaling and use a NKJV with wider margins for my daily reading and notes.  It also has larger print and is easier on my eyes. 

But my Thompson got me through daily reading for years and a Bible & Religion minor in college - no loose or torn pages, no damage, nada.  

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, Rufus has laid it on my heart to write a love song for Poor Forgotten Jesse.  Some where a Fundie Maiden is pining after the vertically challenged muscly bespectacled Maxwell.

Jesse (with apologies to Carly Simon)

Free Jingers say a prayer for me
Jesse's come to town, it won't be easy
Please let him near me, please let him touch me
Please let him squeeze me

Oh Jesse, and I will change the sheets for you

Anna, keep reminding me that he'll want Bible Time
Like a daily chore
Sarah, tell me once again how to set him up
I will be his whore

Oh Jesse, I will change the sheets for you
No, no, no

Jesse, quick come here, I won't tell a soul
Not even myself
Jesse, now you've come here to me, my friends will all say
She's lost her brain
But how can anyone know what you mean to me
That I'm in heaven again
Because you've come here to me
Ooooh  ....   Jesse

Oh Jesse!

Oh, Palimpsest, you're a peach!  Keep 'em coming!

18 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Oh, Palimpsest, you're a peach!  Keep 'em coming!

@Palimpsest can you do anything with that Rick Springfield song? : )

Gracious goodness sakes alive, do I detect idolatrynif the Bible in the Maxwell household? Displaying a non-usable Bible on the mantel?  Mourning the passing of a Bible because of the notes you’ve made in it? Don’t you have those pronunciations from Steveovsh committed to memory in your heart by now, young lady??  Shame. 

I use a Lutheran Study Bible which is the NISV translation, maybe? I don’t have it at hand. (Yeah, yeah: Shame.)

Anyway I was thinking about more devout friends who might like a really well-bound Bible and started to ask the Trinitarian Society representative what translations they offer. SILLY JUNEBUG! They have THE translation!  The AUTHORISED one!

And it’s probably already been noted, but if Teri’s grandparents’ Bible is an object of adoration, doesn’t that mean great-Gigi and great-Granddad were Christian and so were Granddad and so is Gigi? (I know, I know: not the right kind.  Maxwells=Snobs.)

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

@Palimpsest can you do anything with that Rick Springfield song? : )

At first I thought you were doing a parody of the sad ballad about “Jesse, I’m lonely, come home.” It has potential, perhaps?

I just had to post here that I love this thread title so much. Can we please make the next one "You can keep your vest on! - part 2"? I don't want it to go away yet. ?

Yeah, evangelicals giving Orthodox grief about "idolatry" always gives me a chuckle. 

There's PLENTY of idolatry in evangelical circles...preachers, Bibles, dress codes, contemporary Christian musicians (all hail Chris Tomlin! - not knocking him, I love some of his songs), children's programs, the missions budget, you name it.

I am really tempted to recommend the Bible I received as a gift almost 30 years ago for my First Communion. It is a Catholic edition. 

Palimpsest hath inspired me to do dreadful things. Disclaimer: I think Jesse would have potential to be a decent guy if he didn't hold some pretty dickish religious beliefs. So this little parody is tongue-in-cheek, with no offense intended to any future Mrs. Jesse:

Jesse is a friend, yeah

He’s a friend to the elderly,

But lately something’s changed that ain’t hard to define,

Jesse’s got himself a girl that can really toe the line.

And she’s got a Godly countenance,

But she’s looking at his muscles, I just know it,

And he’s giving her the sidehugs after 9pm

You know

She puts meat in the burritos, Jesse’s girl

Homeschools twenty kids, Jesse’s girl

Where did he find a woman like that?

They climb 14ers every year,

There doesn’t seem to be a reason to change,

You know Steve thinks it’s dirty when her buttons look so cute,

FJ wants to tell her it’s OK

But the point is prob’ly moot...

I had to step away from this forum to scream and sake when we were subjected to another post on writing by the great self-published author. If her books were worth reading a major Christian publisher would have bought the rights by now. 

I had to stay away today because a post on quality Bible binding was just too stimulating. I nearly woke up reading it.

But I missed this place. Now, what did I miss beyond those posts? Burrito night? 14.3 minutes of reading aloud to one grandchild? Bible time with Daddy? A kettle bell workout?? :tw_sleeping:

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I had to step away from this forum to scream and sake when we were subjected to another post on writing by the great self-published author. If her books were worth reading a major Christian publisher would have bought the rights by now. 

Even if there was ever an offer, it would never happen. Steve will never let any of their books be out of his total control. 

It pains me mightily to admit I have *anything* in common with Terified - but she does make a valid point about glued book bindings. While I certainly can't answer her "What's the Best Bible?" question, I can say that anyone who's worked in a public library in the past couple of decades has seen newly-published books returned with broken bindings after only 2 or 3 circulations. Abject patrons are full of apologies, but it's not their fault - the materials and binding processes being used by publishers are just awful, compared to the good ol' days, so normal handling often results in what I call Grand Canyon Spine.

10 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

I just had to post here that I love this thread title so much. Can we please make the next one "You can keep your vest on! - part 2"? I don't want it to go away yet. ?

How about "You Can Still Keep Your Vest On"? :my_smile:

9 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

How about "You Can Still Keep Your Vest On"? :my_smile:

After that we can have "Buying a Vest Debt-Free" and "Managers of their Vests"

And of course-- inVESTING in quality Bible bindings

10 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I can say that anyone who's worked in a public library in the past couple of decades has seen newly-published books returned with broken bindings after only 2 or 3 circulations. Abject patrons are full of apologies, but it's not their fault - the materials and binding processes being used by publishers are just awful, compared to the good ol' days, so normal handling often results in what I call Grand Canyon Spine.

I was wondering why so many newer books look so rough. Grand Canyon Spine is the correct term for what happens to some of these books! 

I never thought I'd read a sentence like this from the Maxwell's:

"I was told most people are no longer happy with their Bibles." 

Maybe just me, but out of context it just sounds like they're questioning the content as much as the glue binding.

49 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

After that we can have "Buying a Vest Debt-Free" and "Managers of their Vests"

And of course-- inVESTING in quality Bible bindings

Wearing Your Vest in 15-Minute Increments.

Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Choosing The Right Vest For an Extended Family Member

What Some Might Call an Outer Garment

and, coming soon,

The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived