IGNORED

Maxwell 28: You Can Leave Your Vest On!

Coconut Flan

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, johnhugh said:

I just not imagine this being allowed in my local Waitrose or Sainsbury’s, you would be kicked out. Could artist Mary not use her imagination?

Rhetorical question, right? Or else, Sarah made that up and it did not happen that way at all.  I know the Maxwells are extraordinarily literal, and imagination-challenged, but dear eight pound, six ounce, newborn baby Jesus, how hard would it be to take a photo of a supermarket floor (if that was even necessary, because a floor is a floor!) and then break some eggs on their own effing floor, and let Mary's muse take it from there?  Oh, right, The Muses are false gods and are not allowed in Maxhell.

3 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Take a look at these girls & then look at who John David Duggar married.  Now look at the Maxwell girls.  Who comes closest?

Not sure if that was directed to my reply but John David is merely one personality in a sea of many.  I have a feeling he isn't that quiet and actually has a lot to say off of camera. 

@Black Aliss, the only reason I can think of for breaking eggs on a supermarket floor instead of their own is that they would not have to clean the supermarket floor.  That would be an underpaid employees task.  

8 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

That would be an underpaid employees task.  

Or they just didn't plan ahead to have it in the Almighty Schedule, so the eggs would have been left on the floor for weeks until there was a 15-minute slot open.

7 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Black Aliss, the only reason I can think of for breaking eggs on a supermarket floor instead of their own is that they would not have to clean the supermarket floor.  That would be an underpaid employees task.  

/begin_sarcasm

Serves that [ostensibly female] employee right, for being so unrighteous as to work outside her home, and probably wearing slacks, to boot.

/end_sarcasm

So a nurse ‘friend’ went to the grocery store to break eggs for an illustration. Why did she need to be there and what does a nurse have to do with it?  Also, a neighbor helped one time. Helped do what Sarah? She might as well have just put ‘ One day we took pictures on a Monday and another day I was wearing a pink shirt’. Tells us just as much. 

The “nurse friend” is probably some lady, who lives down the street, who put a bandaid on the knee of a heathen girl who was wearing shorts and fell while skateboarding with a neighbor boy who was not a sibling, all while the heathen girl’s single mother was working for an unrelated male. Yes, I know the sentence is long, wacky and not grammatically correct. That’s just the way I imagine the Maxwell’s think when they try to justify how they live their life. 

As to Mary mailing out their products, it’s not really that difficult and is in no way some huge accomplishment. If it was a real job and she was processing hundreds of items a day, I would give her credit but I doubt she sends out more than a couple of items a week. I used to buy and resell items on eBay to help pay bills while in school. I was good at it and made good money. However, it was not that hard. Packaging was easy and the hardest part was finding time in my schedule to stand in line at the post office. 

If nobody has pointed this out yet, allow me to say that allowing a dog to tree a cat so you can take a picture is downright cruel asshole behavior.

17 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

If nobody has pointed this out yet, allow me to say that allowing a dog to tree a cat so you can take a picture is downright cruel asshole behavior.

Sorry to ask but english is my second language, what does “allowing a dog to tree a cat” mean?

Ugh for some reason I reread the blog Am I (Anna, not me), going to college? How many college students has she seen coming out worse in actions and morals? The attitude is just smug and better than you education seeking heathens, I could scream. My son is a junior in college and he is actually more mature now and has grown spiritually and in his actios  too. So much for your theory Sarah cause there are many young people educating themselves without becoming morally bankrupt. Maybe if you girls went to college you would possibly meet a man to marry, providing he is godly, of course. 

I also dont see how they call the married kids their extended family. Its like they are not part of the exclusive Maxwell family club. Anyway it was fascinating to read how Sarah writes her books and how Mary is artistically inspired in the strangest of ways. 

3 minutes ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Sorry to ask but english is my second language, what does “allowing a dog to tree a cat” mean?

I think it means having the dog chase a cat so the cat climbs a tree. I’m an English speaker and never heard this term either! 

8 minutes ago, Candydandy said:

Ugh for some reason I reread the blog Am I (Anna, not me), going to college? How many college students has she seen coming out worse in actions and morals? The attitude is just smug and better than you education seeking heathens, I could scream. My son is a junior in college and he is actually more mature now and has grown spiritually and in his actios  too. So much for your theory Sarah cause there are many young people educating themselves without becoming morally bankrupt. Maybe if you girls went to college you would possibly meet a man to marry, providing he is godly, of course. 

I also dont see how they call the married kids their extended family. Its like they are not part of the exclusive Maxwell family club. Anyway it was fascinating to read how Sarah writes her books and how Mary is artistically inspired in the strangest of ways. 

I think it means having the dog chase a cat so the cat climbs a tree. I’m an English speaker and never heard this term either! 

"treeing" can refer to any dog cornering another animal in a tree-- like a raccoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_hunting  

And its a cruel thing to do to a cat, or any animal.

51 minutes ago, Candydandy said:

Yes, that's what it means. Sorry, I guess my mountain-people side was showing! ?

Sarah's method for writing sounds similar to the way I used to write a research papers/technical stuff that I really did not want to write and only wrote because I had to. I'd select a template and plan out each paragraph. The purpose of this rigid structure was to allow me to get the job done and to convey information in the most  concise method possible. The only joy was in getting the damn thing done. Sarah's book writing method strikes me as very similar. I get the sense that Sarah does not like writing at all and perhaps even hates it as much as I hated writing my technical papers. SMH and saying "poor Sarah" once again.

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

Sarah's method for writing sounds similar to the way I used to write a research papers/technical stuff that I really did not want to write and only wrote because I had to. I'd select a template and plan out each paragraph. The purpose of this rigid structure was to allow me to get the job done and to convey information in the most  concise method possible. The only joy was in getting the damn thing done. Sarah's book writing method strikes me as very similar. I get the sense that Sarah does not like writing at all and perhaps even hates it as much as I hated writing my technical papers. SMH and saying "poor Sarah" once again.

Sarah has been to at least one writing workshop. She knows all the right words and ways and processes. The problem arises in when she fails execution. She knows she needs people to brainstorm with, but only her family is alllowed. She knows she needs test readers, but only perfectly like minded, fully vetted fundie homeschooling moms are allowed. She knows she needs input from others but can't go outside her family or tiny world for any of it. So, every single book is the exact same as the last. Lifeless. No character. No imagination. No creativity. 

She has learned the "right" steps to take and processes to go through; she just has no helpful way to execute any of it. 

I figured out why they need the photos, so they can use those to cheat on the pencil drawings in the books.  Remember the old overhead projectors from school that projected transparencies onto a big screen?   There is a similar machine that works on the reverse, that you focus on the picture and it reflects the image on a flat surface so you can trace the image onto paper.  You can also use a copier to copy the picture and lighten the finished image down until you can barely see the print on the copy and then add your own penciled highlights.   That way you have a perfectly proportional image to start out with and embellish.  

@fundiefan, she also doesn’t get to read very widely, either. In my experience, reading a wide variety of good fact and fiction, written by skilled writers, is the key to success in writing. Not only does it open myriad doors of discovery and imagination, it models efficient sentence structure and wording. Sarah’s command of written English would be greatly improved were she able to read whatever she wanted, and for fun. Stephen King, for example—horror might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he has a true gift for exposition and dialogue.

5 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I figured out why they need the photos, so they can use those to cheat on the pencil drawings in the books.  Remember the old overhead projectors from school that projected transparencies onto a big screen?   There is a similar machine that works on the reverse, that you focus on the picture and it reflects the image on a flat surface so you can trace the image onto paper.  You can also use a copier to copy the picture and lighten the finished image down until you can barely see the print on the copy and then add your own penciled highlights.   That way you have a perfectly proportional image to start out with and embellish.  

If that is really what they're doing, which seems plausible given their painful picture-taking process...I don't even know what to say. Learn to freaking draw, maybe? The pictures in Sarah's books seem like they could be free-handed by a first-year art major. Oh wait...Anna didn't want to learn the things they teach in college!

7 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

You just perfectly described my techniques for passing any assignment or doing any project that involves drawing from the time I was 10 to the present day. :goldfish:

20 minutes ago, Hane said:

@fundiefan, she also doesn’t get to read very widely, either. In my experience, reading a wide variety of good fact and fiction, written by skilled writers, is the key to success in writing. Not only does it open myriad doors of discovery and imagination, it models efficient sentence structure and wording. Sarah’s command of written English would be greatly improved were she able to read whatever she wanted, and for fun. Stephen King, for example—horror might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he has a true gift for exposition and dialogue.

True. There are many elements that contribute to Sarah's mediocre writing but the bulk comes down to zero experience. 

I remember in a college ethics class we were assigned topics that were ethically ambiguous - perspective could easily change what one thought was ethical or not. We had to interview a classmate before doing the project and incorporate her views into it, whether to support or rebut. We could not choose which classmate to interview, our professor assigned us and she did so based on a survey we did at the beginning of the semester about our lives....married/not, kids/not, parents living/not, experienced trauma/not...so many questions I can't remember them all and they were really personal. (We weren't required to answer questions we didn't want to and we knew in advance how the info would be used). Anyway. My topic was journalists publishing photos of jumpers from the twin towers. Without going into all the details & requirements, I'd never lost anyone to a traumatic event - accident, war, violence. The classmate I interviewed lost a cousin to gang violence. And we had very similar views to a point, but in the end landed worlds apart, because our experiences contribute immensely to how we see tragedy in print. 

The whole intent was to dig deep and LEARN and grow and gain perspective; to know that we do not have all the answers in any scenario. To be able to use what we learn of other people and their experiences to write, communicate a message, convey our thoughts, and become aware of how grey just about all of life really is. 

This was "just" for a project for one class. For one project, with accompanying written paper and presentation. Just one. 

Imagine how important exposure to different people, views, beliefs and experiences is to someone writing for a public audience. 

Something those non college attending Maxwells will never, ever understand or be able to apply.

17 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

You just perfectly described my techniques for passing any assignment or doing any project that involves drawing from the time I was 10 to the present day. :goldfish:

A professional illustrator told me that this is a widespread and welcome practice by artists and people who hire artists, as well. Oh, the things they make us do in classes! LOL. I do understand the pint of improving one’s Skill in freehand drawing, rest assured.  

10 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Take a look at these girls & then look at who John David Duggar married.  Now look at the Maxwell girls.  Who comes closest?

Closest to what?  John David Duggar's ideal of female pulchritude - or yours?

Dissing the Maxwell looks is mean and BEC.  They can't help it - and if Steve could ease up on the make-up restrictions they could probably all look quite lovely.  

Or do you mean earning potential?  It could be argued that "published" author, proven earner, photographer, and book-keeper Sarah; "nutritionalist" dressmaker, IT support, balloon-maker and bookkeeper Anna; and face-painter, illustrator, and experienced mail clerk Mary could conceivably earn more money than Abbie with her LPN.

Anna and Mary could probably also clean up working as experienced nannies.  Pity that Steve never let them get an online qualification in childcare. Or perhaps he has - the Maxwells spring new qualifications on us all the time.  

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Anna and Mary could probably also clean up working as experienced nannies.  Pity that Steve never let them get an online qualification in childcare. Or perhaps he has - the Maxwells spring new qualifications on us all the time.  

I wonder if any of the Maxmaidens have been allowed to get any sort of CPR/first aid credentials?  [which helps in getting nanny/babysitting jobs, and is useful for anyone].  Duggars have been allowed to.

The Red Cross, despite its name, is probably too secular for them.

@Lisafer  Do Adam Levine's nipples also make Steve Maxwell cry?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived