IGNORED

John David and Abbie 6: Flying Off to the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

15 minutes ago, melon said:

It called a "Kingdom Hall" not a church,and that's where they have meetings,about 3,if I remember correctly.

Then they have conventions,usually in a stadium because many Jehovah's Witnesses and their "studys", will attend.

They do keep themselves because they are told this world is controlled by Satan and to be "No part of this world".They do seem nice and happy.It's a front or facade.

Just like the Bates and (to an extent) the Duggars seem like a big happy moral family to a lot of people (the Bates even pull this off with some people on this site)--but we all know that's why their group is so insidious. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

That was Stephanie Cole. A powerhouse comic actor. 

I want to be like Diana (her character on Waiting for God) when I grow up.  

I adore Tom as well.   

Having watched the whole wedding special, it occurs to me that there is little wonder that John David and Abbie are so thrilled to be marrying.

He is one of nineteen; she is one of seven. For the first time in their lives, there will be one other person who is wholly focused on them. How thrilling for each of them it would be, to suddenly have someone whose love is entirely directed at them.

My two JW stories:

My husband and I had bought our house from my parents a few months previously and I was working nights.  I was doing laundry before going into work and in the spirit of having literally no dirty clothes left in the house when I went to work, I took off my PJs and was reading on the couch practically naked.  We have a split level house so I was in the lower level next to a window and you have to climb up like 5-6 stairs to knock on the front door.  The house has no neighbors on that side for a long way and we pretty much never have unexpected visitors.  I heard the doorbell ring and looked up to realize there were 4 people standing outside the door and if I moved, they'd notice me and look right down on all my glory.  I ordered curtains as soon as they left.  There was a pamphlet for us, but we were dis-inclined to attend any meetings.

I told my mother the story and she said that about 9 years ago, she and my brother were waiting for my dad to come home from some errands so they decided to prank him.  They emptied the recycling including a number of empty beer cans and bottles on the front lawn and set up some lawn chairs with empty cans in hand (my mom is not a drinker).  She said a car pulled up the driveway and they started yelling and toasting, but it wasn't him.  My English major mother looked at the JWs who got out of the car and, in a moment of brilliance, said, "oh, you're not my husband."  They handed her a pamphlet, got back in their car, and left without saying anything.

I had JW neighbors growing up, as soon as they moved in we stopped getting door knockers, perhaps to keep us friendly. Before that, I would always act weird and try to scare them off, my mom would quickly dismiss them, and my dad tried to convert them to Catholicism. 

They were normally quiet neighbors,but about 2x/year they'd throw huge parties with loud sound speakers late into the night. Very annoying. 

One of Oldest's best friends was JW until recently, he was pretty much shunned over the summer after coming up to visit for a week for her graduation because well, she's a girl and he's a guy and all those horrible things they could do. He left his family and the state shortly after that, just spent another week here after Thanksgiving and is celebrating his first Christmas and birthday this year. Totally sweet kid now that he's been de-programmed. 

I have a friend who left Catholicism to be a JW. She's very into it as is her husband. She's tried to talk to me about it many times, but I tell her I'm not going to change. I will ask her respectful questions about it, so she gets her proselytizing in, but I accept no pamphlets or commentaries... her house is full of books, they're just all JW commentaries.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:57 PM, MoonFace said:

I want to be like Diana (her character on Waiting for God) when I grow up.  

I adore Tom as well.   

Me too.

My favorite Stephanie Cole role is as Carolyn on the BBC radio program, Cabin Pressure. It also stars Benedict Cumberbatch (mostly prior to fame) and Roger Allem. I highly recommend listening to it if you're a fan of British humor.

3 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

My advice for the day - answering the door naked works wonders for keeping knockers away. ;)

Unfortunately that's also a great way to get charged with indecent exposure. :P 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

There is nothing indecent about my rocking bod :P

Just now, KelseyAnn said:

There is nothing indecent about my rocking bod :P

Greatest. Response. Ever. 

7 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

My advice for the day - answering the door naked works wonders for keeping knockers away. ;)

It's also the best way to let the knockers sway.

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

To get around that, answer in your towel fresh out of the shower. Bits covered, but still enough awkwardness for the person on the other side of the door. 

When I was on maternity, some JW started visiting realizing I was a somewhat captive audience... after they came like the third day, I opened the door breast feeding. They did not return.

I answered the door in a towel to Mormons before. Those particular ones never came back, I always had old men.

JD and Abbie have been married a month.

Yesterday I got a letter hand addressed to a strange name or current resident. It was a creepy letter and a JW pamphlet. 

I shred those pamphlets and put them in the feline headship's litter box

On 12/2/2018 at 1:07 AM, Shadoewolf said:

One of Oldest's best friends was JW until recently, he was pretty much shunned over the summer after coming up to visit for a week for her graduation because well, she's a girl and he's a guy and all those horrible things they could do. He left his family and the state shortly after that, just spent another week here after Thanksgiving and is celebrating his first Christmas and birthday this year. Totally sweet kid now that he's been de-programmed. 

Thanks for welcoming him into your home.  I'm sure it means the world to him.

Sadly, the Jehovah's Witnesses are not simply those "nice"people that go door to door, don't believe in holidays and birthday parties, and have that odd belief in not having blood transfusions.

https://www.cultnews101.com/2018/10/jehovahs-witnesses-use-bible-to-victim.html

https://www.cultwatch.com/jw.html

https://nypost.com/2015/07/27/jehovahs-witnesses-hid-over-1000-sex-abuse-cases/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/25/jehovahs-witnesses-accused-of-silencing-victims-of-child-abuse-uk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/28/australian-jehovahs-witnesses-protected-

The only wedding I ever attended that had super hard core lead-obey type vows was a Jehovah Witness marriage, with an old friend who had converted.  At the time, I knew quite a few people in my peer group who had become born again evangelicals after very, very rocky youths ( many of them later fell out of that stage too ) None of them were anywhere near as intense as the Jehovah Witness ceremony. The preacher even had the bride promising to wash the dishes! My friend later said it wasn’t representative , and the preacher must have had some personal issues going on - but it was really creepy. 

I was about 14 and going home from art class when two women came up to me and started asking questions about religion. I think they were JWs, but might be other type of fundie. They wanted to know if I was saved and then offered to pray with me right then and there. I had no idea how to tell no. 
So they hold my hands and loudly prayed that God saves me and delivers me from my sins and whatnot. I was uncomfortable and embarrassed the whole time (for several reasons) and got away as fast as I could. 
Looking back, it makes me livid. But I'm sure it's a great strategy, a kid is far less likely to tell them to fuck off than an adult.

When my friend's mother in law died they went up to her house to help sort things out.   Her husband went with his dad to the funeral home to pick out the casket and plan the service.  Meanwhile, members of the father's church was coming by to offer condolences.   My friend had brought cakes and was making coffee for the visitors as they came by. 

Lots of people knocking on the door and she'd let them in and offer cake and coffee. 

Her father in law came in and saw some people sitting there and having refreshments and asked, "Who the hell are you?"     Turned out they were JW's and had been so pleasantly surprised to be invited in and offered cake and coffee.   They left very quickly. 

I remember the movie Big Eyes and how the Jehovah’s Witnesses came to the door soon after the woman and her daughter moved having escaped a traumatic marriage and divorce. She was taken in to the group and I think and later in the movie it was mentioned about how they had to change their lives to comply with the JW values. I specifically remember that the teenaged daughter wasn’t allowed to go to prom. I don’t know how much of the story was actually based on the true events but I definitely saw that the JW preyed on someone at their most vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

I definitely saw that the JW preyed on someone at their most vulnerable. 

I think that is what they do. They prey on vulnerable people. My ex-friend is a JW. She was a very gulable & vulnerable person. Perfect for a JW to try & convert. 

Cults in general prey on vulnerable people. It's a big, big hall mark of cults. Some fundiesh religions dabble in this a bit with "friendship" evangelism. My experience with Evangelical Christianity was that it was very emotions based with emotional manipulation accordingly. From alter calls to loud worship services to testimonies, so much of it was emotional hype and working people up into an emotional frenzy. I really wish I had been exposed to a calmer, more sedatede form  form of worship. date form ddatedate

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived