IGNORED

John David and Abbie 6: Flying Off to the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

24 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Shouldn't Abbie and John be home from the honeymoon by now? Were they spotted a nywhere?

I've been wondering this, too.... haven't seen anything giving away where they went.  Kind of makes me think they weren't in the US and maybe went somewhere where there aren't enough US tourists to recognize a Duggar.   On the 'predictions' thread I put Peru just because no one has done that one yet but it's not that uncommon of a destination.  I know a couple people suggested Indonesia since JD had gone there once before and maybe they went somewhere like Bali which is a common honeymoon destination but not for Americans so much since it's pretty far away (they get a lot of Australians). 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2018 at 5:45 PM, Rachel333 said:

I don't know if Joe and Kendra participated, but Kendra's dad and his church did attach anti-gay flyers to people's doors. https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/knwa/church-pamphlet-offending-some-residents/148038088 I wouldn't be surprised if Kendra helped.

On the anti gay thing:   

My cousin disowned her daughter when she came out as gay.  They are 'fundie lite".   They eventually got to where they could once in a while (with great distance between those times) if forced in the same area.   However, her daughter has now come out as trans.   Not only is the kid disowned by parents but by siblings as well.   I happen to like the kid. "S" was always special to me.   

I sent the kid this link.  If I had my cousin's address I'd send it to her (But I've had to cut myself off from that toxic family)   

I just saw the wedding. I would have taken out a couple of those kisses (like the arms)... but I thought kidding her hand and her forehead was extremely tender and sweet. Knowing they come from a background of not being intimate or even touching much before marriage I thought this was very sweet and romantic.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:54 AM, just_ordinary said:

*is JD working for ALERT? He was wearing an ALERT Aviation shirt in one of the photos. 

That is interesting.  He could definitely be working there.  ALERT temporarily suspended the aviation training a couple of years ago but it seems to be back with bells on.  They don't identify the aviation instructors on the website unfortunately.  And it isn't cheap.  It is an advanced course after they have done basic and intermediate levels at ALERT and costs $3,145 (base fee) + "you will also pay for each hour of plane rental and instructed flight time." 

Oh, round it all up and your ALERT Basic, EMT and fire training, plus the pilot's licence will cost around 22K.   And I didn't go into all the hidden costs.

https://alertacademy.com/files/2018/11/2019-Aviation.pdf

We will have to keep an eye on JD's whereabouts between March 18 and May 31 2019.

1 hour ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

@MoonFace Wasn't some form of that letter on the West Wing?

I don't know as I've not seen the shown.   By the date on it it looks like it's been around a couple years but I just saw it earlier this week. 

Watched the webisode of their wedding. It appears they are genuinely into one another. JD is soooo dumbstruck over her and I spotted some more-than-sidehug action going on. I know JD won constable for his town. Abbie seems to have more than half a brain when she speaks, so perhaps he will encourage her to continue nursing and not turn her into another reproductive hamster wheel. 

I watched the wedding special and thought it was very sweet. But the ...um tension... they have by not kissing, well they should have just kissed already.

im a mom of 16 & 18 yr old girls.  Who have had boyfriends and their first kiss.  They are less drap-ey and hanging-on than JD and Abbie

I just saw something on major entertainment website's social media that was a post about how awkward JD & Abbie's kiss was ? I love when people not related to FJ get a chance to snark on them too!

15 hours ago, MoonFace said:

On the anti gay thing:   

My cousin disowned her daughter when she came out as gay.  They are 'fundie lite".   They eventually got to where they could once in a while (with great distance between those times) if forced in the same area.   However, her daughter has now come out as trans.   Not only is the kid disowned by parents but by siblings as well.   I happen to like the kid. "S" was always special to me.   

I sent the kid this link.  If I had my cousin's address I'd send it to her (But I've had to cut myself off from that toxic family)   

This is f****g brilliant!

One of my co-workers (who is a truly wonderful young man anyone would be blessed to have for a son) reports that he has just been disowned by his family for leaving the Jehovah  Witness church. Is this a thing? Are they that insular? I have new neighbors who are in it and very nice but am afraid to ask them anything this personal.

I don't know if that is more common among JW, but I have seen it happen in other denominations. Usually, the more fundie the congregation, the more likely disowning/shunning for leaving the church is to occur.

36 minutes ago, Rio said:

One of my co-workers (who is a truly wonderful young man anyone would be blessed to have for a son) reports that he has just been disowned by his family for leaving the Jehovah  Witness church. Is this a thing? Are they that insular? I have new neighbors who are in it and very nice but am afraid to ask them anything this personal.

Yes, disfellowshiping and shunning is indeed a thing among JWs.   We are having a discussion about Leah Remini's special episode on JWs over in QoS if you are interested.  Starting around here:

Okay, I finally got around to watching the wedding. I don't really have any shocking insights to add, but I'll give my delayed opinions anyway:

-Yes, they seem very happy and natural together. They knew each other six months when they got married so hopefully that lasts as they get to know each other long term.

-I actually thought John's 'first kisses' were cute and really funny. So I guess I'm part of 'Team Not Cringeworthy' on that one!

-Lauren has a lovely voice. I don't blame Josiah for singing more quietly. I could still hear him, but she obviously has the stronger voice, so it makes sense that he would let her take the lead (what a novelty for fundies...). I kind of like Lauren and I hope she doesn't take any shit from him.

-These were the fundiest vows I've heard since at least Josh and Anna's wedding. Yikes. 

-I find it totally hilarious that people are like, "No way was that their first kiss!!" Like... what? They made a huge deal about not kissing till the wedding day, they're obviously totally drunk on the kool-aid, and when they kissed you could barely see anything! How did it 'not look like' a first kiss? It doesn't take skill to press your lips against someone else's. :pb_lol:

-On that note, pulling up unchaperoned in the car - heh. Sure, they appeared to be alone in the car. For about two seconds of footage in the parking lot which was probably staged by TLC.

Nice wedding overall. I didn't feel extremely uncomfortable the whole time I was watching it like I did with Josiah and Lauren's.

5 hours ago, Rio said:

A friend of mine from my Fellowship (Unitarian Universalist) is married to a woman who converted to JW, and she told him that he's going to hell. He told me that if he knew that she was going to convert from Catholicism to JW, he'd have never married her. Evidently, the JWs are quite inflexible or tolerant of others' beliefs.

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

A friend of mine from my Fellowship (Unitarian Universalist) is married to a woman who converted to JW, and she told him that he's going to hell. He told me that if he knew that she was going to convert from Catholicism to JW, he'd have never married her. Evidently, the JWs are quite inflexible or tolerant of others' beliefs.

JW's don't believe in hell. They believe that at death everyone is just asleep (see soul sleep). They don't believe in eternal punishment, that those who die w/o being a JW just don't get resurrected...

JWs are VERY inflexible. I was shocked when my husband's JW x-wife actually participated in her daughter's wedding that was in a Baptist church. She has pretty much disowned both her daughters when they left the JWs as young adults. They're both what I would call "fundie-light". They both go to hipster type churches...at least they broke free of the cult. 

12 hours ago, Rio said:

Like others have already stated, yes they are. I've read about a few instances in Sweden where young men in JW have come out as gay and had their parents show up at their apartment with a cake. Not to celebrate the young man in question, but to see them one last time and mourn the "death" of their son before completely severing all ties with him. It's really messed up.

I just love that a religion that goes door knocking to recruit new members, doesnt celebrate or participate in Halloween... when regular people knock on doors [emoji23]

15 hours ago, Rio said:

One of my mom's best friends is JW, they've been friends for over 20 years. Unfortunately her elders (as they call them, reminds me of charmed) made her end all contact with my mom because my mom got a divorce. They're brutal. There's a whole investigation in the Netherlands going on for years now because they don 't report to the police in cases of child (sexual) abuse. They have their own law system where the elders can shun a member as a worst possible outcome. It's bad.

When my daughter was in kindergarten, I took cupcakes to her classroom for her birthday (public school that she attended until 4th grade). One little girl was sitting at a desk in the far front corner of the room. I tried to take her a cupcake, but the teacher stopped me - saying the little girl was JW and was not allowed to participate in classroom birthday parties (or any other celebrations like the holiday concert, parades, etc.). I felt SO SORRY for that child - I wanted to scoop her up and take her home with me. :( 

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

When my daughter was in kindergarten, I took cupcakes to her classroom for her birthday (public school that she attended until 4th grade). One little girl was sitting at a desk in the far front corner of the room. I tried to take her a cupcake, but the teacher stopped me - saying the little girl was JW and was not allowed to participate in classroom birthday parties (or any other celebrations like the holiday concert, parades, etc.). I felt SO SORRY for that child - I wanted to scoop her up and take her home with me. :( 

I had one of those in my grade school growing up too. Never got to go to parties, never stood for the pledge of allegiance, was always the only kid without a Halloween costume. I remember going to her house one day and being kind of surprised that her bedroom looked like what I called a "grandma's guest bedroom.". Floral bedspread, no posters or toys. It was just dull.

Even though we weren't good friends, it always bothered me that she wasn't allowed to participate in sports at least because she was a really fast runner and I think would've excelled in track had she been given the chance.  

One of my brothers is a JW,he converted.

When my youngest son passed away,my brother and his wife came here,to visit us and offer support.They also attended meetings at Kingdom Halls local to me ,,and invited us to come,too.

When my father passed away,my brother,his wife,her family and other friends of my brother,from their Kingdom Hall in Youngstown,came to the visitation.When D left,my two other brothers,T and J did not believe me when I said D would not be coming to my father's funeral the next day because they would not go to my father's church or any other one.

They did not come.

I used to study with some JWs about  31 years ago.My son had one or two JWs in his class,they were sent to the library when they had Christmas,Halloween or other parties in class.

I used to go to the meetings,and the Kingdom Hall when I studied.One night,the woman I was studying with,told me that we could not speak to a certain woman.I asked why.She said fornication,the woman had a baby out of wedlock.But she was sitting behind her sister and her sister was helping her with the baby.I think she said she was encouraged to attend the meetings but not to socialize with the congregation.

After awhile,the woman studying with me stopped studying with me because I refused to "go out".I wasn't going door to door to convert people...sorry not sorry.

11 minutes ago, melon said:

One of my brothers is a JW,he converted.

When my youngest son passed away,my brother and his wife came here,to visit us and offer support.They also attended meetings at Kingdom Halls local to me ,,and invited us to come,too.

When my father passed away,my brother,his wife,her family and other friends of my brother,from their Kingdom Hall in Youngstown,came to the visitation.When D left,my two other brothers,T and J did not believe me when I said D would not be coming to my father's funeral the next day because they would not go to my father's church or any other one.

They did not come.

I used to study with some JWs about  31 years ago.My son had one or two JWs in his class,they were sent to the library when they had Christmas,Halloween or other parties in class.

I used to go to the meetings,and the Kingdom Hall when I studied.One night,the woman I was studying with,told me that we could not speak to a certain woman.I asked why.She said fornication,the woman had a baby out of wedlock.But she was sitting behind her sister and her sister was helping her with the baby.I think she said she was encouraged to attend the meetings but not to socialize with the congregation.

After awhile,the woman studying with me stopped studying with me because I refused to "go out".I wasn't going door to door to convert people...sorry not sorry.

From my understanding, the volunteer time requirement for a JW is like that of a 1/2 time job

I haven’t read it yet but my mom recommended that I read Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Freak. It’s about a guy who grew up in a JW church. She mentioned that he was shunned when he started to ask questions. I need to put it on my to be read pile. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived