IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

As we were at Walmart this afternoon I notice a LOT of Amish people there, and as we left a group of 3 women and a man walking towards the store all were smoking or vaping. Other than an occasional older farmer with a pipe, I’ve never seen that.

I haven’t seen that either. Were they younger? I guess I could see some teens and young adult Amish experimenting with it. But I’m sure their elders are not ok with it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Mr. Puma and I saw this license plate this afternoon in our city and I had to get a picture!!!

Is there any other meaning for quiver full than what we know it as!? 

IMG_4935.png

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Driving today and saw a brand new tiny little Amish schoolhouse on the feeder county road between our 2 villages. That makes 6 Amish schools in our zip code. The township adjacent to ours is 20% Amish right now. There are 72 Amish homes just in this little corner of the county.   

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Two different happenings for me:

1. I was at a family thing and my great uncle had an Ark Encounter shirt on. My uncle is very Catholic. He also has a Biden 2020 sticker on his car. So that was amusing.

2. I was doing my “family band round up” (refer to my comment in the Dreams thread) and had somewhat of a revelation. There’s one of them where the dad used to be a pastor at a church in my hometown. They’re definitely not fundie- I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re maybe more conservative Christian, but the oldest daughter (my age) went to a public college and is now in the medical field, and the middle son also went to a public college and I have a vague memory of being somewhat friends with him years ago.

Anyhow, there was a girl in my Pre-AP WH class in high school who I had somewhat of a crush on… until she moved halfway through the year. All I remember is that she had somewhat RBF… as does the daughter. I lined up the years that are listed for when he was at each church, and then looked up the daughter on Instagram, aaaand several people that I went to high school with follow her.

This is a total shot in the dark but I would not be surprised in the least if I went back to my freshman yearbook and she’s the girl that moved halfway through the year.

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:21 PM, CTRLZero said:

I watched an episode on Growing Up in Polygamy where the co-host, Melissa, had someone do her hair in one of those poufs (I forget the exact term she used).  It was an interesting and intricate process.  
Growing Up In Polygamy - YouTube - pouf demonstration

I find it to be remarkable just how similar different fundamentalist religious sects can be in terms of outward appearance .  I have had ex-Pentecostals , particularly former Apostolic /Oneness Pentecostal women recall their own poofy updos , from when they were in such churches .  For comparative reference here are some short YouTube demos .    

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 10/18/2023 at 9:21 PM, CTRLZero said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Marmion
Technical difficulty
  • Upvote 3

I remember those 2 pouf styles from my small Southern town. There were/ are lots of Apostotic/ Pentecostal churches in the area.

High school girls usually wore a pouf like the 1st video.  These were the girls who never cut their hair, couldn't wear jewelry. make-up, or shorts in gym class. They wore gathered waist, calf length skirts pinned between their legs to look like giant bloomers. And of course no music, dancing, movies, card playing, drinking, cussing, or dating.

Once these girls got older, usually about 18 and after graduation, the big pouf as in the 2nd video appeared. Their poufs were much higher and larger and more to the front of the head.  The enormous bun from all that uncut hair was right behind the pouf and helped push it higher and forward.  The wrap-around "bangs" were there and the whole thing was glued in place and immobilized with hair spray. 

Us non Apostoplic/ Pentecostals called them "cat on the head" women as there was so much hair that it looked like a huge cat on the head.

• Upvote 3

The  annual "March for Life" in DC is tomorrow (and there are often marches at various state capitols as well). As I like to say, every year I have to restrain myself from beating a smug Catholic teen with their own Bloody Fetus sign.  

Its me and my colleagues least favorite day of the Capitol Hill year*. Snow is expected (yay!) so I may work from home and not have to wade through the sanctimonious crowds and all the litter they leave behind.

Anyway, its a favorite field trip of fundy youth, so keep an eye out on the social media feeds. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

The  annual "March for Life" in DC is tomorrow (and there are often marches at various state capitols as well). As I like to say, every year I have to restrain myself from beating a smug Catholic teen with their own Bloody Fetus sign.  

Its me and my colleagues least favorite day of the Capitol Hill year*. Snow is expected (yay!) so I may work from home and not have to wade through the sanctimonious crowds and all the litter they leave behind.

Anyway, its a favorite field trip of fundy youth, so keep an eye out on the social media feeds. 

Every year I hope it’s terribly cold, windy, and just terrible weather wise. It makes the turnout smaller.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

I can't find anywhere else to put this, but it's a fundie enounter on Twitter, and pretty funny: 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 6

How do you look Satan in the eyes? And why would you look him in the eyes when you are about to cum? 

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

How do you look Satan in the eyes? And why would you look him in the eyes when you are about to cum? 

The ways of Fundies are beyond us mere normal people.

• Upvote 1

Carry on here:

• Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic