IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, Howl said:

What is BJ's?

BJ's is a big box store like Sam's Club and Costco. 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:31 AM, Alisamer said:

I actually spent a good bit of cash yesterday at Aldi. They have lots of garden stuff out in the middle aisle (my friends and I call it the WTF aisle) including an elevated raised garden bed planter and some tall shepherd's hooks. I'm sure the quality is variable but the prices were such that I was willing to give it a try. 

I bought a small cat tree and puppy play tent for my foster kittens from Aldi and I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality. The cat tree sheds more (sign it is cheaper materials), but it is far sturdier than I expected for $13 and has been used by many fosters. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'll pop this in here.  Parody, scam, sincere,  maybe, could be, possibly?  It's a fundie + non-Christian pet-lovers mash up and I'm so here for it. (Note: Based on a quick google search, the post-Rapture pet care scamdustry is in full swing.)

Yes, it's After the Rapture Pet Care, because who will care for your pets when you are raptured and they are (cue ominous music)...Left Behind?  Animals (supposedly) have no soul so no Rapture for them! 

Well, ask no more because pet-loving non-Raptured atheists, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Wiccans, Episcopalians and everyone else left hanging out on Earth will care for them! 

"Dear Fellow Christian:  As the Apostle Paul describes in Thessalonians as quoted above, at some point in the future Jesus will come in the air, catch up the Church from the earth, and then return to heaven with the Church. This is known as the Rapture and it will be glorious. But what of our pets? Who will take care of our pets when we’re gone?"

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, Howl said:

Yes, it's After the Rapture Pet Care, because who will care for your pets when you are raptured and they are (cue ominous music)...Left Behind?  Animals (supposedly) have no soul so no Rapture for them! 

Love this.  Maybe I can become part of the network and watch the $$ roll my way.  For a few dollars a month, I’ll ensure Jill Rodrigues’ dog Snuggles doesn’t get left behind (again).  😄 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Took my brother to pick up a prescription at Walgreens this morning (he had oral surgery). There was a woman at the front counter when we were leaving with a pile of Bibles she was "just dropping off for all of the employees here". Helpfully, she informed the poor cashier that they all had her name and phone number in the front so people could call her with questions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Eyeroll 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was at Busch Gardens today and saw the same group of several teenagers walking around multiple times. Boys had joggers on and girls all had knee length skirts. Was assuming a school trip but also saw parents dressed similarly with some of the kids near closing time.

My first guess was Orthodox Jews since I know they’re big into modesty as well but I’ve also seen blog posts of the Girottis in front of Tempesto (motorcycle stuntman-themed roller coaster for those not familiar) so maybe they just avoid the other-God themed roller coasters?

• Upvote 2

Saw this flyer posted on our local community board today. I live in a very, very conservative little pocket of California and most people here are hoping for Trump's reelection. I was also joking with my husband that this is the kind of thing Bro Gary might write, but he can't spell this well. Then I saw how ATTENTION was spelled. 🤨

352757348_10226037897186843_2834925074557342289_n.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 6

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At my OBGY checking on baby, man and woman were having a slightly heated conversation with the office manager who was kicking them out. They wanted to pass anti choice pamphlets or talk with the doctor why they had a page on their website about D&C aftercare....

...at a catholic health clinic. 

(Our area had one of the highest self induced rates or persons having complication from early losses and getting infections. Doc can't offer them but what little help from people DYING helps) 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 6

15 hours ago, Longhairedheathen said:

At my OBGY checking on baby, man and woman were having a slightly heated conversation with the office manager who was kicking them out. They wanted to pass anti choice pamphlets or talk with the doctor why they had a page on their website about D&C aftercare...at a catholic health clinic. 

First, hope all is well with you and bebe!

But what the actual heck?  I'm intrigued by this but not enough to want to know what they actually say. Is there theologically correct D & C aftercare?  

So terrified for women who are not being appropriately treated for miscarriage and other issues because proper medical care has been criminalized.  Women will die.  My state is so proud of harassing Planned Parenthood into oblivion, thereby depriving women of access to birth control at the same time my state is the shit for prenatal care for poor women, the cost of living is rising, it's a desperate situation.  

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Howl said:

First, hope all is well with you and bebe!

But what the actual heck?  I'm intrigued by this but not enough to want to know what they actually say. Is there theologically correct D & C aftercare?  

So terrified for women who are not being appropriately treated for miscarriage and other issues because proper medical care has been criminalized.  Women will die.  My state is so proud of harassing Planned Parenthood into oblivion, thereby depriving women of access to birth control at the same time my state is the shit for prenatal care for poor women, the cost of living is rising, it's a desperate situation.  

They just refused to understand the inclusive verbiage. They didn't understand D&C = miscarriage in the medical world and that not everyone is devastated when one happens. 

Bebe is good 😅,  Hyperemsis Gravidarum and type 1.  We're only 11 weeks but we discussed I am getting my tubes out and hubs is getting snipped.  Fundies always talk about how natural pregnancy is, I am so thankful I live with modern medicine.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

Someone posted to my city's Pay Nothing facebook page asking if anyone could remember the name of a psychic she consulted some time ago, with an Irish surname. 

Various Xtian's apparently were waiting for this moment and  chimed in with variations of  "Jesus is the only way, trust him", "God will hate you for going to a psychic" and so forth, with supporting Bible verses. 

Some truly  annoyed person shut all that down in no uncertain terms, with an extremely profane mashup of "Stay in your own lane" and  "Make it staaaaaaahp!!!!!!"

• Upvote 1

Marjoe (portmanteau of Mary + Joseph) 

At some point, he no longer believed, but used revivals to bring in the bucks. 

Marjoe links to WIKI or read below: 

Spoiler

"Marjoe Gortner was a precocious child preacher with extraordinary talents, who was immensely popular in the American South. His parents earned large sums of money off of his earnings until the point he outgrew the novelty of his youthfulness.

Gortner rejoined the ministry as a young adult solely as a means of earning a living, not as a believer. He spent the next several years using his fame and status as an evangelist to earn a living from both tent revivals and televangelism. Eventually, Gortner suffered a crisis of conscience of sorts and decided to give up the revival circuit, but not any of the money he made from it. He offered a documentary film crew unrestricted access to him during his final revival tour, which took place in 1971.

The film contains scenes from revival meetings showing Gortner preaching and praying for people in Los Angeles, Fort Worth, Detroit, and Anaheim. This is interspersed with footage of Gortner admitting on camera that he was a non-believer and revealing the tactics that he and other evangelists used to manipulate people and to move them during revivals. Some of the evangelists even revealed where they bought properties kept secret and gave him advice to follow. Gortner said he studied Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, as a model for his routine.

At the time of the film's release, it generated considerable press, but the movie was not shown widely in theaters in the Southern United States. The distributor feared adverse reaction to the film in the Bible Belt...

I saw this movie when it was first released."

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

• 2 months later...

A town in my area has a annual Bible festival with a parade depicting Bible stories. And I swear to you I saw a Quiverfull float, with men with bows and arrows pointing at the crowd, courtesy of a homeschool group. Who would guess Quiverfull is alive and well?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

And I swear to you I saw a Quiverfull float, with men with bows and arrows pointing at the crowd...

This is the best (worst) thing ever.  The symbolism, also, of arrows as sperm...there, I said it.  

• Haha 4

Not sure if this counts, given that I didn’t technically meet him, but I do proposals for an account firm and I’m proofreading one for a coworker and one of the audit directors went to Bob Jones…. We also have a partner who went to Pensacola.

On that note, I’ll occasionally look up the dads of some of these fundie dads on LinkedIn (on Safari, I ain’t looking these people up on the app) and most of them aren’t surprising- Dad Craig went to Pensacola but got his Masters at like Miami Ohio or something like that. But surprisingly, Dad Mieckzkowski went to George Washington?? So I think I’m safe to assume he had a secular childhood and at some point found Jesus.

3 hours ago, SwimmerBoy29 said:

Not sure if this counts, given that I didn’t technically meet him, but I do proposals for an account firm and I’m proofreading one for a coworker and one of the audit directors went to Bob Jones…. We also have a partner who went to Pensacola.

On that note, I’ll occasionally look up the dads of some of these fundie dads on LinkedIn (on Safari, I ain’t looking these people up on the app) and most of them aren’t surprising- Dad Craig went to Pensacola but got his Masters at like Miami Ohio or something like that. But surprisingly, Dad Mieckzkowski went to George Washington?? So I think I’m safe to assume he had a secular childhood and at some point found Jesus.

Miami University in Ohio is secular. And it’s fairly pricy. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Turns out it’s actually Drexel- still secular and fairly pricey.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And is known for being one of the biggest party schools in the state

Lol I’ve never even visited Miami U but my cousin went there. She’s really not the snobby sort. And she didn’t join a sorority. I guess that’s big there. I wouldn’t want my child to go there since it’s rather expensive and I don’t want my boys joining a frat. 

ERMA GERD, Y'ALL!  I just saw an FLDS woman (the dress!, the hair!) in WalMart.  She was grocery shopping solo, no other FLDS women or kids, which is kind of surprising.  She looked to be mid 20s to 30 or so.  Her dress was a medium green. 

There's a small FLDS enclave in the area. 

Example of the dress and hairdo here: 

Screenshot 2023-10-18 7.06.53 PM.png

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

I watched an episode on Growing Up in Polygamy where the co-host, Melissa, had someone do her hair in one of those poufs (I forget the exact term she used).  It was an interesting and intricate process.  
Growing Up In Polygamy - YouTube - pouf demonstration

Edited by CTRLZero
Add link
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• 4 weeks later...

As we were at Walmart this afternoon I notice a LOT of Amish people there, and as we left a group of 3 women and a man walking towards the store all were smoking or vaping. Other than an occasional older farmer with a pipe, I’ve never seen that.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic