IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

I saw some skirts-only ladies counter-protesting at the Bans off our Bodies rally/march I attended in Orlando this weekend. They were holding some massive sign about how "what Hitler did was legal at the time too". It was hard to bite my tongue, but we were told not to engage in any capacity.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 4
  • WTF 4

8 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I saw some skirts-only ladies counter-protesting at the Bans off our Bodies rally/march I attended in Orlando this weekend. They were holding some massive sign about how "what Hitler did was legal at the time too". It was hard to bite my tongue, but we were told not to engage in any capacity.

You’re stronger than I am. I don’t think I could’ve kept my mouth shut. 

ETA:

It’s ironic that they mentioned Hitler. Fascism is the extreme end of conservatism. 

This crowd just loves to pin Liberals as Communists. But politics are in general at two way street. There are extremisms on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. 

Left = Liberals - the extreme Communism

Right = Conservatives - the extreme  Fascism

Edited by Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing
Added stuff.
  • Upvote 5

On 5/16/2022 at 7:26 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

I was at a Planned Parenthood rally last week and they told us the same thing. I couldn't help myself, though, when some white dude shouted at me "At least SOME of your mothers were pro-life!" 

I yelled right back at him, "Mine is pro-choice- she CHOSE to have me!"

• Upvote 6
  • Love 9

• 1 month later...

Well, I sure witnessed quite an incident. On my way back from taking a morning stroll today, I saw a pickup truck pass two teenage Amish girls, in a horse drawn cart. This spooked the horse causing it to pull the carriage into a ditch, which capsized it, dumping out the two girls. The horse then dragged the overturned cart across the road into another ravine. I remained on sight, at some distance away, in case they were to be in need of any assistance. But they were able to calm and unhook their horse, which was a mare named "Patsy", from what I was able to overhear, just fine.  After telling me that they were alright, and thanking me, the one walked the horse, and the other pulled the cart by hand towards a nearby Amish house, I then went back home.  The vehicle looked something like this. (Not actual photo of girls or horse)  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.51b2de842bf8c99e08508a0ac4526e01.png

Edited by Marmion
to add a photo for reference
  • Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

Not a direct fundie encounter, but I keep seeing signs for the Franklin Graham “God Loves You” tour, which is apparently in London this Saturday (16th). Fuck that shit.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Not a direct fundie encounter, but I keep seeing signs for the Franklin Graham “God Loves You” tour, which is apparently in London this Saturday (16th). Fuck that shit.

There are actually enough people in London that want to see that asshat speak? Well that’s a surprise to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I was at an amusement park yesterday and there was a church youth group there. Did not get close enough to read the shirts to see the church name but the girls were wearing long grey skirts over legging in 80 degree weather and they kept looking at me and then looking away (I was in shorts and a tank top). 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...

Recently we were in Telluride, CO -- major tourist scene going on, great people watching.  

I spotted a group of 8 young adults -- teens? early twenties?  The five guys were dressed exactly the same -- same cut of jeans, t-shirts various shades of medium to dark blue (not tucked), identical style baseball caps.  Three of this group were couples (holding hands). 

The three young women wore identical light tan knit shifts, very slightly body conscious fit,  somewhat below the knee length, almost mid calf but not quite. High neckline (crewneck high).  Can't recall sleeve length. So -- their hair is what caught my attention.  The hair was drawn up into a flatish bun, with a rectangular lace covering over the bun.  It was evening and I wasn't too close, but I think at least one lace cover was white, another dark blue. 

The boys seemed a little goofy, like high school boys.  The girls were sedate, but all were having a good time being out on the town. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Howl said:

Recently we were in Telluride, CO -- major tourist scene going on, great people watching.  

I spotted a group of 8 young adults -- teens? early twenties?  The five guys were dressed exactly the same -- same cut of jeans, t-shirts various shades of medium to dark blue (not tucked), identical style baseball caps.  Three of this group were couples (holding hands). 

The three young women wore identical light tan knit shifts, very slightly body conscious fit,  somewhat below the knee length, almost mid calf but not quite. High neckline (crewneck high).  Can't recall sleeve length. So -- their hair is what caught my attention.  The hair was drawn up into a flatish bun, with a rectangular lace covering over the bun.  It was evening and I wasn't too close, but I think at least one lace cover was white, another dark blue. 

The boys seemed a little goofy, like high school boys.  The girls were sedate, but all were having a good time being out on the town. 

One of my friends from college moved there immediately after we graduated many years ago. She’s never left. She loves that place so much. But she definitely isn’t fundie. I’m sort of surprised fundies would like Telluride. I’ve never been there though. I would like to some day. 

I can see why your friend decided to stay! 

It's astoundingly beautiful, surrounded on three sides by mountains and the town itself is 8,750'.  The 4-wheel drive road up Black Bear Pass switchbacks up the mountains at the end of town.  That's not quite correct; one can only drive down into town off Black Bear Pass in a 4-wheel drive, it's not two-way. Occasionally people attempting to drive the pass fall off the mountain; it's incredibly steep.  This TripAdvisor link has some good photos. 

Skiing is fantastic. 

We got there on Wednesday evening and left today, camping with friends in the town campground.  We were there as volunteers for a local event, so not very much down time. 

There's a (normal) monsoon pattern that's settled in and it was a soggy soggy 4 days. So. Much. Rain.  Some of the mornings were lovely, but the thunderstorms start building and by noon it's raining off and on and on. This is wonderful, because this general part of the world is in extreme drought, and in some recent years the monsoons have failed to materialize.

Not great for camping, though. 

You also have to love high elevation, high mountains. From just outside of town, there's a spectacular view of Sunshine Peak (12,930') and Wilson Peak (14,246'). 

I was looking through the local free newspaper (Telluride Orbit). A 2 bedroom, 1 bath little house in town is listed for 1.3 million. 

A 700 sq ft condo is on the market for close to a million bucks. 

It's the usual problem where the town proper has no space to expand, all housing is oriented towards tourism or the wealthy who visit a few times a year, so people that live there and work there have a terrible time finding housing of any kind. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m sort of surprised fundies would like Telluride.

It's a major tourist scene, but with an outdoor focus.

I've never seen so many dogs and so many young couples with infants and young kids.  If a fundie is outdoors oriented (hiking, rafting, mountain biking), it's paradise.  There's not a huge bar scene or big nightlife vibe, although we did see a few couples dressed up for a night life thing, like 4-inch heels, off the shoulder dresses and the guys in suits. They looked fairly out of place, so maybe were going to a party.  

The last few times I've been there, fully outfitted wedding parties were heading to the gondola to ride up to Mountain Village. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Howl said:

I can see why your friend decided to stay! 

It's astoundingly beautiful, surrounded on three sides by mountains and the town itself is 8,750'.  The 4-wheel drive road up Black Bear Pass switchbacks up the mountains at the end of town.  That's not quite correct; one can only drive down into town off Black Bear Pass in a 4-wheel drive, it's not two-way. Occasionally people attempting to drive the pass fall off the mountain; it's incredibly steep.  This TripAdvisor link has some good photos. 

Skiing is fantastic. 

We got there on Wednesday evening and left today, camping with friends in the town campground.  We were there as volunteers for a local event, so not very much down time. 

There's a (normal) monsoon pattern that's settled in and it was a soggy soggy 4 days. So. Much. Rain.  Some of the mornings were lovely, but the thunderstorms start building and by noon it's raining off and on and on. This is wonderful, because this general part of the world is in extreme drought, and in some recent years the monsoons have failed to materialize.

Not great for camping, though. 

You also have to love high elevation, high mountains. From just outside of town, there's a spectacular view of Sunshine Peak (12,930') and Wilson Peak (14,246'). 

I was looking through the local free newspaper (Telluride Orbit). A 2 bedroom, 1 bath little house in town is listed for 1.3 million. 

A 700 sq ft condo is on the market for close to a million bucks. 

It's the usual problem where the town proper has no space to expand, all housing is oriented towards tourism or the wealthy who visit a few times a year, so people that live there and work there have a terrible time finding housing of any kind. 

It's a major tourist scene, but with an outdoor focus.

I've never seen so many dogs and so many young couples with infants and young kids.  If a fundie is outdoors oriented (hiking, rafting, mountain biking), it's paradise.  There's not a huge bar scene or big nightlife vibe, although we did see a few couples dressed up for a night life thing, like 4-inch heels, off the shoulder dresses and the guys in suits. They looked fairly out of place, so maybe were going to a party.  

The last few times I've been there, fully outfitted wedding parties were heading to the gondola to ride up to Mountain Village. 

My friend doesn’t have kids but she’s always had a dog. So that checks out. I noticed when I was in Colorado that people take their dogs everywhere. The Midwest isn’t like that. You see some dogs. But most dogs just stay home. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You see some dogs. But most dogs just stay home.

That's how it was when I was growing up! 

The city where I live in Texas is like a giant dog park.  Restaurant patios, out on trails, doing errands, everywhere.  

The thing that strikes me as funny (and fun and very sweet) is that people these days have tons of toys for their pets, especially puppies. 

OK folks, I finally have something to post on here. I've been absent for awhile but still reading. We are on a very long road trip from California and had dinner at the Cracker Barrel in Central Texas this evening and a 100% fundie group walked in not long after we were seated.

I had taken note that a lot of people were dressed nice, coming from church on Sunday evening (I had kind of lost all track of the days–1,553 miles driven since yesterday morning). Anyway, I remembered that I was back in the Bible Belt! A group of elderly people walked in, the men dressed in nice pants and button down shirts, one in a vest, and the ladies were wearing long dresses and had their hair up in buns. There was one young man with them. My teenage daughter and her friend said that he had been kind of standing near them awkwardly in the gift shop. The girls said he gave us all strange looks, including me (I currently have neon pink hair, am wearing a tank top, and have visible tattoos and my daughter has hair which pertaineth to a man).

I immediately noticed who I assumed was the pastor of the group as he was talking very loudly in the gift shop. When the group walked into the restaurant, he looked at our table and greeted us like we were old friends. 

They settled in at their table and he led them in a (loud) prayer, asking Jesus to use them as a witness to others (or something along those lines, I'm tired). After dinner I walked around the parking lot and immediately noticed a van with a large sign on the door reading, "I Preach Acts 2:38." I found out they were from out of state, and found a sticker to the church that I'm assuming some of them attend–Apostolic Faith Fellowship in Oklahoma. I am not super familiar with that one so I'm checking out their website at the moment.

Anyway, it was very interesting as I am not accustomed to actually being around fundies, only reading about them! The whole time we were at dinner, I could only imagine that they were maybe traveling preachers like D-Rod and what Bro Gary wants to be, and was wondering if the local host church was treating them to dinner. Also I felt sorry for that teenage boy, alone among all the elderly people, socially awkward like so many of the fundie kids I read about.

• Upvote 11

• 3 weeks later...

OK, not a personal sighting, but we're in SW Colorado and the main TV stations on cable are either Albuquerque, NM or Salt Lake City, UT.  After Good Morning America (my husband watches) it's a local morning show for Salt Lake City. They had a LONG feature on DoTerra leaders and leadership, comprised of hot Mormon moms, obvs.  The DoTerra founder is Mormon and MLMs are HUGE in Utah. This web site for the MLM community lists the top 20 MLMs headquartered in Utah.  

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Howl said:

OK, not a personal sighting, but we're in SW Colorado and the main TV stations on cable are either Albuquerque, NM or Salt Lake City, UT.  After Good Morning America (my husband watches) it's a local morning show for Salt Lake City. They had a LONG feature on DoTerra leaders and leadership, comprised of hot Mormon moms, obvs.  The DoTerra founder is Mormon and MLMs are HUGE in Utah. This web site for the MLM community lists the top 20 MLMs headquartered in Utah.  

MLMs are so big with Mormons. It’s crazy. But it makes sense. Mormon moms are supposed to be stay at home moms. But they likely also want to make some money. It’s similar to fundies who are into MLMs. And religion who says their women need to stay at home will probably be targeted by MLMs. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly “fundie” as such, but this just popped through my letterbox… (spoilers because it’s two images)

Spoiler

53FC8F89-A92D-4F69-9FAE-F4EA2EEA2FE8.thumb.jpeg.2334d3727313c808b688c7aaf7f2d579.jpeg

Spoiler

3D83DC00-52EF-4DC5-983B-C37507E8993A.thumb.jpeg.31a14618f467f39bb37802cafd9b8e49.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:59 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

MLMs are so big with Mormons. It’s crazy. But it makes sense. Mormon moms are supposed to be stay at home moms. But they likely also want to make some money. It’s similar to fundies who are into MLMs. And religion who says their women need to stay at home will probably be targeted by MLMs. 

I never realized just how ingrained doTerra is within the LDS community until I just recently watched this one BYU volleyball game. Not only was there doTerra advertised on a sideboard , but the net even had doTerra inscribed on it. Here is a video recording of the event , if anyone wants to see for themselves.  

Spoiler

P.S. One of the reasons I had decided to watch the game, besides being somewhat of a volleyball enthusiast , was that the game was controversial due to allegations one of the Duke University players , Rachel Richardson, made regarding racist taunts/threats having been directed at her by at least one of the fans. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

So, I live in a small fairly conservative town. There are a few of us crazy liberals around but mostly conservative and skews older… a man just posted on our town Facebook page. ‘We are new to your community. We are… a large homeschooling… family so if you see our kids playing outside please don’t call CPS on us! Talk about an awkward way to introduce yourself. First of all… intros aren’t really necessary online? Just go meet your neighbors. Secondly, large homeschooling family is just a dog whistle to me. Checked his main profile. I don’t think we’d be friends. His Jesus seems pretty hateful from what I can tell from his personal posts… thirdly ‘please don’t call CPS’… mmmk either I need to drive by and see if your kids look clean and fed cause you have reason to worry or you have a reallll persecution kink, huh? Nobody cares dude… unless someone sees something concerning? Ugh well, anyways welcome to the neighborhood I guess. 🙄

• Upvote 8

On 9/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, mango_fandango said:

Not exactly “fundie” as such, but this just popped through my letterbox… (spoilers because it’s two images)

For years, a friend called it L Ron Hubbard and Diuretics. 

25 minutes ago, EyesOpen said:

We are… a large homeschooling… family

How large is "large"?  The CPS angle probably has to do with kids being at home or playing in the yard on school days. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, EyesOpen said:

So, I live in a small fairly conservative town. There are a few of us crazy liberals around but mostly conservative and skews older… a man just posted on our town Facebook page. ‘We are new to your community. We are… a large homeschooling… family so if you see our kids playing outside please don’t call CPS on us! Talk about an awkward way to introduce yourself. First of all… intros aren’t really necessary online? Just go meet your neighbors. Secondly, large homeschooling family is just a dog whistle to me. Checked his main profile. I don’t think we’d be friends. His Jesus seems pretty hateful from what I can tell from his personal posts… thirdly ‘please don’t call CPS’… mmmk either I need to drive by and see if your kids look clean and fed cause you have reason to worry or you have a reallll persecution kink, huh? Nobody cares dude… unless someone sees something concerning? Ugh well, anyways welcome to the neighborhood I guess. 🙄

That makes me think CPS has been called on them before and that’s why they moved. 

• Upvote 9

• 2 weeks later...

At the library yesterday (we're still in SW Colorado) saw a lady in a true denim jean skirt --  made by cutting the inside seam on jeans and adding in a triangular panel front and back.  Viola! a jean skirt.  Hers was ankle length; both daughters had on regular denim skirts, not quite ankle length. 

There are quite a few tutorials on youtube = converting jeans into mini skirts. 

9 hours ago, Howl said:

At the library yesterday (we're still in SW Colorado) saw a lady in a true denim jean skirt --  made by cutting the inside seam on jeans and adding in a triangular panel front and back.  Viola! a jean skirt.  Hers was ankle length; both daughters had on regular denim skirts, not quite ankle length. 

There are quite a few tutorials on youtube = converting jeans into mini skirts. 

They must be hippies! We used to do that in the 70's! Anyone whose mom could sew was the object of much envy! 

• Upvote 2

On 10/1/2022 at 7:43 AM, clueliss said:

Well, we have a Tacos 4 Life being built here.  

Interesting.  I just googled. They are a Christian non profit with a good rating from Charity Navigator.  They are slowing making their way west (and south?) It would be a tough sell in Austin, because you can't swing a (metaphorical) dead cat without hitting some place selling tacos or a taco truck, plus Chipotle already has that niche.  That said, it could easily turn into the taco version of Chick-fil-A. 

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic