IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

I just came across this on twitter, and it immediately struck me as a peak tweet, and it pokes at everything "fundy males struggle with sexual impulses and lose big time" so I guess that counts as a fundy encounter? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

I was behind a pair of Amish women this morning in Walmart. They were outfitting a little infants supply storein one of the tiny Amish villages nearby. 5 boxes of diapers, disposable in various sizes, 8,000,000 tommee tippee and  nuby sippy cups, bottles, nipples, pacis, onesies, bath toys. 

i would have thought its more plain to use cloth diapers, to breastfeed until drinking from a plain cup..

they also bought about 20 pair of work socks…don’t they knit their own socks? And 2 packs of mens plaid boxers.. so now you know what Amish guys wear under their plain garb.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 3

I finally remembered to ask my daughter about the church in Vegas.  It's Hope Church.  It was big the last time I heard anything about it, which was a couple of years ago.

Edit:  But I was wrong about the originating church.  The pastor of that church is the son of a previous pastor of my previous church, but a church in Georgia supported them until they got on their feet.

Edited by SoSoNosy

On 1/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, BlackberryGirl said:

I was behind a pair of Amish women this morning in Walmart. They were outfitting a little infants supply storein one of the tiny Amish villages nearby. 5 boxes of diapers, disposable in various sizes, 8,000,000 tommee tippee and  nuby sippy cups, bottles, nipples, pacis, onesies, bath toys. 

i would have thought its more plain to use cloth diapers, to breastfeed until drinking from a plain cup..

they also bought about 20 pair of work socks…don’t they knit their own socks? And 2 packs of mens plaid boxers.. so now you know what Amish guys wear under their plain garb.

Oh yeah. They wear lots of store bought stuff if they are not a strict group. I’ve seen them at Walmart too buying very ordinary stuff like shoes, boots, gloves, socks, and coats. 

• Upvote 5

On 1/29/2022 at 4:48 PM, SoSoNosy said:

I finally remembered to ask my daughter about the church in Vegas.  It's Hope Church.  It was big the last time I heard anything about it, which was a couple of years ago.

I have a couple of friends that go there. I think they go to the Henderson campus. But, honestly, you can't swing a cat without hitting a church. Guess the folks back east think that "sin city" refers to the residents, not the tourists. 

According to this site https://nevada.hometownlocator.com/features/cultural,class,church,scfips,32003.cfm Clark County NV has 322 churches for a population of roughly 2.3 million people. 

Edited by feministxtian
  • Upvote 2

On 1/29/2022 at 6:57 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh yeah. They wear lots of store bought stuff if they are not a strict group. I’ve seen them at Walmart too buying very ordinary stuff like shoes, boots, gloves, socks, and coats. 

Also, there are some plan dressing sects who look like Amish, but aren't necessarily restricted on the use of mainstream/ modern day products.  

• Upvote 5

This morning on the scanner page.

**Major MVA**

Machias (Catt.)

3950 Roszyk Hill Road

Car vs Buggy MVA with 1 Serious Pediatric Injury & 1 Critical Pediatric Injury.

STAT Medevac to the Scene.

fucking people do not share the road we get so many car vs buggy accidents around here

• Sad 8
  • Rufus Bless 1

49 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

This morning on the scanner page.

**Major MVA**

Machias (Catt.)

3950 Roszyk Hill Road

Car vs Buggy MVA with 1 Serious Pediatric Injury & 1 Critical Pediatric Injury.

STAT Medevac to the Scene.

fucking people do not share the road we get so many car vs buggy accidents around here

Damn. Two pediatric emergencies.

• Sad 2

Today I learned the younger sister of a childhood friend has gone homeschool/live by God's grace/large family fundie. She is a lot younger thane so I never knew her well, so I can't really remark on whether it is a surprise. Her sister is definitely not fundie though.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a tough day dealing with my religious people in my community. These people aren't hardcore fundie, but their religious beliefs make them difficult to deal with.

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 2

As with any religion the Amish have so many groups that interpret the rules and beliefs so differently. Some are so strict it’s absolutely everything handmade/homemade. My guess is breastfeeding is largely encouraged, but some moms can’t, and some babies can’t nurse. Some groups care more about convenience because they work such long days and have so many children. Lots of variations. I am surprised at the plaid underwear though, because I thought one common theme was “no printed fabrics”? 

As with any religion the Amish have so many groups that interpret the rules and beliefs so differently. Some are so strict it’s absolutely everything handmade/homemade. My guess is breastfeeding is largely encouraged, but some moms can’t, and some babies can’t nurse. Some groups care more about convenience because they work such long days and have so many children. Lots of variations. I am surprised at the plaid underwear though, because I thought one common theme was “no printed fabrics”? 

• Upvote 2

I hope this doesn't come off as "poop-touching" because I wouldn't ever break the rules of FJ, but if you ACTUALLY ran into a Duggar/Maxwell/Bates/Rod in the flesh, would you straight up just look from afar and go about your day? Would it depend on the context? Aka- if they are protesting outside of a clinic as "Pro Life Activists" vs grabbing a cup of coffee at a local place?

I'm mostly just curious, as I know I'm surrounded by Websters and Wissmans that I have seen tagged in local places on Instagram.

*would never ever ever ever approach and/or ever discuss FJ in any capacity at all*

13 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I hope this doesn't come off as "poop-touching" because I wouldn't ever break the rules of FJ, but if you ACTUALLY ran into a Duggar/Maxwell/Bates/Rod in the flesh, would you straight up just look from afar and go about your day? Would it depend on the context? Aka- if they are protesting outside of a clinic as "Pro Life Activists" vs grabbing a cup of coffee at a local place?

I'm mostly just curious, as I know I'm surrounded by Websters and Wissmans that I have seen tagged in local places on Instagram.

*would never ever ever ever approach and/or ever discuss FJ in any capacity at all*

I’m socially awkward so I never talk to people I don’t know unless I have to. There’s no way I would talk to a FJ fundie unless they talked to me first. Then I would be polite. I’m nosy so I would probably keep glancing at the fundie from afar. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m socially awkward so I never talk to people I don’t know unless I have to. There’s no way I would talk to a FJ fundie unless they talked to me first. Then I would be polite. I’m nosy so I would probably keep glancing at the fundie from afar. 

That makes sense. I am also socially awkward, but tend to make small talk awkwardly as part of it lol. So in a normal circumstance if I'm next to someone at a coffee counter, I'm likely to make small talk. But I'm also someone that has to work really hard to bite their tongue, so, if I were at said coffee counter and went to make small talk to find a "famous" fundie standing there, I would probably just freeze and stare and be generally awkward as fuck.

• Upvote 4

I was traveling today, got a speeding ticket 😒, asked for lunch recommendations when I went to the courthouse to pay it, and ended up going to a bakery recommended by the clerk that was run by Mennonites. Lots of bonnets!

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a trampoline park this weekend, and there was a group of tween girls all wearing mid-calf or longer knit skirts (with no modesty leggings?). I don't know what denomination forces girls to wear long skirts to a trampoline park, but I'm glad it isn't mine. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got a hand addressed envelope in the mail today from "Jasmine" who in a hand written letter shared an encouraging verse from scripture.  If I wanted to know more (I don't) there was contact info for a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall.

Considering the price of postage these days, sending letters can be a semi-expensive proposition. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Got a hand addressed envelope in the mail today from "Jasmine" who in a hand written letter shared an encouraging verse from scripture.  If I wanted to know more (I don't) there was contact info for a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall.

Considering the price of postage these days, sending letters can be a semi-expensive proposition. 

I’ve gotten one of those in the mail. I forget her name. But I’m sure she was part of the JW church that’s only a couple miles from our house. Before the pandemic, they would go door to door. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Howl said:

We got one recently too, but amusingly the letter inside was photocopied from the original hand-written master, so it was no different than if it had been typed in terms of personalization or meaning.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, ofDany said:

We got one recently too, but amusingly the letter inside was photocopied from the original hand-written master, so it was no different than if it had been typed in terms of personalization or meaning.

Mine was hand written (printed, not cursive) and I assumed from a teen.  The actual "God always has your back" sentiment based on Isiah 54:10 was sweet but conditional: "God's love for us is so strong that no force in the universe can make him abandon those who serve him.  Knowing we have his love and friendship should fill us with courage."  

It's what happens to those who DON'T serve him that's not very comforting. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/15/2022 at 5:56 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Before the pandemic, they would go door to door. 

I read recently on r/exjw that they’re considering starting up again.(I also got a handwritten letter awhile back along with a tract entitled “Who REALLY Controls The Word?”(Spoiler alert:  Satan.)

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

I don’t know about doing errands very briefly this morning. Ran into dollar tree to look for something very specific. But had to walk past a whole bunch of guys from a local church proselytizing to apparently the poor unwashed who try to bargain shop at dollar tree. All men. And then they couldn’t quite figure out why I didn’t say a dang thing as I walked into the store. Because you know they were telling me and another woman to watch ourselves because there’s no crosswalk. Because apparently single child free me in her mid to late 50s has never crossed the street or a parking lot before. I may have taken great joy in the fact that I was wearing leggings.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

On 3/16/2022 at 7:49 PM, smittykins said:

I read recently on r/exjw that they’re considering starting up again.(I also got a handwritten letter awhile back along with a tract entitled “Who REALLY Controls The Word?”(Spoiler alert:  Satan.)

Sorry to quote myself, but as of April 1, they’ve resumed in-person Kingdom Hall meetings, but I’m not sure about “field service”(the door-to-door thing).

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Friends I’m housesitting for were given “free” food from a church nearby. Came with a chick tract because of course it did. 🙄

image.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 2

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic