IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

Another thread reminded me to post here.  A few weeks ago we saw dhs fundie lite friends.  They may not be fundie anymore, but at one point they were.  No birth control, gifted all new parents To Train Up a Child and an Above Rubies subscription, homeschooled, did blanket training and the husband was very controlling.  When we saw them a few weeks ago they were pleasant to talk to, we chatted about secular books and tv shows with the teenage daughter and she wasn’t asked once to take care of the younger kids.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, KWLand said:

When we saw them a few weeks ago they were pleasant to talk to, we chatted about secular books and tv shows with the teenage daughter and she wasn’t asked once to take care of the younger kids.  

What a lovely surprise! How many kids did they end up having or are they still having kids?

Did you notice if the husband still seemed controlling in a patriarchal way or did he seem to have shed that identity?

• Upvote 2

On 2/3/2023 at 7:46 AM, Howl said:

What a lovely surprise! How many kids did they end up having or are they still having kids?

Did you notice if the husband still seemed controlling in a patriarchal way or did he seem to have shed that identity?

I think 10.  Im assuming they are done, but probably not by choice more because of age.  The husband seemed less controlling and knew quite a bit about the daughters interests so he does seem to be involved.  

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I were out shopping about a month ago and ran into what I can only assume was a fundie/group of fundie lite girls. All had skirts on, one or two had head coverings, and at least one was wearing a very plain dress under her hoodie.

We got pretty annoyed at them. Not because of any sort of interaction, but because the place was packed and they were walking about the same pace as the sloth from Zootopia, and at one point stopped in the middle of the path to take a group selfie.

• 4 weeks later...

So there’s a planned parenthood in town.  The has been legally prohibited from performing abortion for years.  And yet we’ve got the whole pro life sign carrying protesters walking circles in front of it.  And I have taken to giving the, the middle finger salute every time I see them when I drive past.  Including yesterday morning on my way to the library.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Girlfriend and I are visiting Colonial Williamsburg for a few days over spring break and as we were walking to our hotel room there was a family coming our way. 3 kids under (probably 10), all had skirts on, dad had a polo shirt and khaki pants, mom in a midi-length long sleeve sweater dress. Obviously pure speculation but it was 90 degrees outside so wouldn’t surprise me.

Also thought I was holding the door for Susanna Wissmann today for a brief second but she’s also probably not in VA right now and the lady had a tennis skirt on so definitely was not her.

• Upvote 3

Driving 2 of the grandberries around this afternoon and came across 14 or 15 little Amish kids heading home from school. Four or five in a horse and buggy, 5 walking north along the highway, and 5 walking south. All carrying Igloo coolers as lunch buckets.

• Upvote 6

On 4/5/2023 at 7:07 PM, SwimmerBoy29 said:

Girlfriend and I are visiting Colonial Williamsburg for a few days over spring break and as we were walking to our hotel room there was a family coming our way. 3 kids under (probably 10), all had skirts on, dad had a polo shirt and khaki pants, mom in a midi-length long sleeve sweater dress. Obviously pure speculation but it was 90 degrees outside so wouldn’t surprise me.

During "tourist season", you can't swing a cat and not hit a fundie. I grew up near there and we'd go up to the colonial area just to people watch, and occasionally pick fights with the street preachers that would sometimes be there. 

• Upvote 3

I work at a historic site in a major coastal NC tourist area. I Like to wear comfy long hippy-style dresses when it's hot because they can be more comfortable than shorts (plus my legs are still super pale). I've also started wearing my hair in a bun since it finally got long enough again.

Just now a possible fundie family came in. Dad in khakis with a button up shirt and undershirt, super conservative haircut, mom & teenage daughter in ankle-length denim skirts and Jesus t-shirts  (Jesus Saves & Happiness is Jesus), and super long hair. Despite my ungodly classic rock music, they assumed I was a fellow fundie lady. They were super friendly, from the mountains of NC, and obviously did not notice my skull and dragon rings, lol!

I wonder if they know Bro Gary? lol! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

I work at a historic site in a major coastal NC tourist area. I Like to wear comfy long hippy-style dresses when it's hot because they can be more comfortable than shorts (plus my legs are still super pale). I've also started wearing my hair in a bun since it finally got long enough again.

Just now a possible fundie family came in. Dad in khakis with a button up shirt and undershirt, super conservative haircut, mom & teenage daughter in ankle-length denim skirts and Jesus t-shirts  (Jesus Saves & Happiness is Jesus), and super long hair. Despite my ungodly classic rock music, they assumed I was a fellow fundie lady. They were super friendly, from the mountains of NC, and obviously did not notice my skull and dragon rings, lol!

I wonder if they know Bro Gary? lol! 

OBX? 

We did see a dad and son at the capitol building, both were in button downs and khakis, but it was like the fishing gear type so I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were moreso dressing to protect from the sun than they were for modesty.

I’ll admit that when I saw the family I had a brief moment of wondering if they were there for a conference and wondered if I was gonna see a bunch of families that I recognized from blog posts- which has happened before. 

• Upvote 5

My bil is on the town council of the next township over. I was talking to my sister tonight about the Amish kids I saw and she told me their town population is 20% Amish. 

• Upvote 1

Technically not in real life, but there's a woman I've known for years on-line who's gone from fundie-lite to full-fledged fundie. It happened when she got married to a widower with a bunch of kids. I think the husband and wife are pushing each other fundier. She recently had a baby and she's trying to parent/homeschool her stepkids. I'm sure his daughters are being parentified. I hope everyone is okay.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It happened when she got married to a widower with a bunch of kids.

A relative lived in a community with a lot of retirees where a widow with 6 kids married a widower with 6 kids.  They met later in life, so didn't have kids together.  

When I was helping with hospice for this relative, this woman attempted a literal death-bed conversion under the guise of offering an hour or two of respite care.  The relative asked me to never let that person in the house again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 1

Just spent $112 on lumber at anAmish mill, just up the road from us to build a little patio shed. Nice, really nice Amish farm, with English employees. Huge white house with nice porch, kids playhouse, swing set all Amish made.

gorgeous

• Upvote 4

At Trader Joe's this afternoon and I'm like,  "AHA, likely young fundy woman at the checkout!" 

Lovely,  almost floor-length floral print dress with flowy skirt, very high (modest!) neckline, fluttery elbow-length sleeves, white tennis shoes.  Light weight fabric 'cause it's spring in Texas and in the low 80s today. 

She's paying, gets her bag, turns around, and it's a backless dress, almost to the waist, no bra.   So, a mullet frock:  business in the front, party in the back. You just can never tell these days! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 16

41 minutes ago, Howl said:

At Trader Joe's this afternoon and I'm like,  "AHA, likely young fundy woman at the checkout!" 

Lovely,  almost floor-length floral print dress with flowy skirt, very high (modest!) neckline, fluttery elbow-length sleeves, white tennis shoes.  Light weight fabric 'cause it's spring in Texas and in the low 80s today. 

She's paying, gets her bag, turns around, and it's a backless dress, almost to the waist, no bra.   So, a mullet frock:  business in the front, party in the back. You just can never tell these days! 

I feel like Trader Joe’s is the last place you’d see a fundie lol.

As per the dress- my girlfriend has been getting into maxi dresses over the last year and bought a t shirt one a while back-plain black, no slit or anything. She tried it on and it was so long on her that if she had thrown a Jean jacket over it she could have easily fit in at Family Camp with the Bons and Bowers.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SwimmerBoy29 said:

I feel like Trader Joe’s is the last place you’d see a fundie lol.

They can be anywhere! 

Edited by Howl

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Aldi is like a cheaper and simpler Trader Joe’s. So you’ll see a lot of fundies at Aldi.

I'm fascinated by the Aldi story and culture.  We live about 3 miles from the opposite of a food desert, with a TJs, Sprouts, Whole Foods and Costco clustered together, and yet ANOTHER Whole Foods and a Natural Grocers nearby, so I haven't been motivated to do the (relatively long) drive to the new (and only) Aldi's. 

Here's an interesting article on the genesis of the Aldi stores in Germany, and Trader Joe's in Cali and how they are both split and conjoined!  The Biggest Thing You Get Wrong About Trader Joe’s and Aldi

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I'm fascinated by the Aldi story and culture.  We live about 3 miles from the opposite of a food desert, with a TJs, Sprouts, Whole Foods and Costco clustered together, and yet ANOTHER Whole Foods and a Natural Grocers nearby, so I haven't been motivated to do the (relatively long) drive to the new (and only) Aldi's. 

Here's an interesting article on the genesis of the Aldi stores in Germany, and Trader Joe's in Cali and how they are both split and conjoined!  The Biggest Thing You Get Wrong About Trader Joe’s and Aldi

I actually spent a good bit of cash yesterday at Aldi. They have lots of garden stuff out in the middle aisle (my friends and I call it the WTF aisle) including an elevated raised garden bed planter and some tall shepherd's hooks. I'm sure the quality is variable but the prices were such that I was willing to give it a try. 

• Upvote 2

Speaking of Aldi:

If you like Chick-fil-a but don’t want to support them, Aldi has this frozen chicken that is a dupe for Chick-fil-a. 
04C3CFE5-6F3F-40F1-8A24-4FBBD8DA94D5.webp.ecfb7679a66b1ae21c6ea9d171c2e819.webp

Seriously tastes almost identical. Takes 40 minutes to cook but it’s good!

Brand is Kirkwood. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

On 4/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, Howl said:

Well, if JillR can be a fundie in her outfits, that lady could be, too.  She probably looked more modest overall than many fundies we follow.

Aldi is stop #3 for us when grocery shopping after Walmart and BJs. My NY resolution was to gain about 20 pounds of muscle and it’s been an absolute godsend between the dirt cheap protien powder and the egg whites and the frozen chicken.

• Upvote 1

What is BJ's?  The dominant chain here in Texas is HEB.  H. E. Butt was the founder who started out with one small grocery in Kerrville, TX and took it from there. 

HEB's super stores drive me crazy, though.  That's why I love TJ's -- great produce along one wall, four aisles  and shopping is done in 10 to 15 minutes and checkout is always fast.  Also, although I rarely get them, tons of reasonably priced gorgeous flowers. 

Shout out to HEB, though.  After a hurricane decimated the Texas Gulf coast, they immediately had caravans of semis loaded with food headed there as soon as roads were open and they could deliver.  

Edited by Howl

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic