IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

On 5/23/2021 at 11:45 AM, Howl said:

John Fugelsang had a real life Twitter encounter w/ a fundy, which is also the most epic self own ever in the history of Ever. 

They are so tone-deaf you can't even mock them!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

Couple days ago As I was driving in town I came upon an Amish wagon hauling a box spring and mattress. I told BBB who immediately asked, “Amish Winnebago?” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

We were at the zoo and there were some mennonites. People sometimes assume they are Amish because of the way they dress but they were Mennonite. The little boy was commenting on the monkey’s very large and brightly colored butt. The dad very loudly said more than once, “that’s just how god made them!” He was trying to shut the kid up since he was talking about monkey private parts. I had to snicker. 

• Haha 14

44 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We were at the zoo and there were some mennonites. People sometimes assume they are Amish because of the way they dress but they were Mennonite. The little boy was commenting on the monkey’s very large and brightly colored butt. The dad very loudly said more than once, “that’s just how god made them!” He was trying to shut the kid up since he was talking about monkey private parts. I had to snicker. 

This is the type of answer I would probably give to my own kid, especially since I have one that is highly inquisitive.  My kid would continue to ask why and in frustration I would probably say something like God just wanted to the monkey to have a colorful butt and hope my child is satisfied ?...she never is

• Haha 12

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a garage sale. The lady was pregnant with #6, wearing a skirt, and 5 stair steps, all girls wearing dresses. She was also selling eggs. I wanted to ask where they went to church.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone can help me identify this flavor of fundie I ran across today? You've all been very helpful about figuring these things out in the past.

Okay, there were only ladies in this group, all dressed in knee-length or longer skirts and modern modest tops. The skirts were anything from jersey knit to denim to some thick black material I couldn't see well enough to identify. Most seemed to be in their late teens/early twenties and they hailed from Iowa.

They all wore their hair pulled back into a bun and the most distinctive thing about them was that right above the bun they had all pinned a wide strip of what looked like lace. It didn't cover the bun it was just kind of flatly plastered to the back of their heads. The lace was also either shades of light or dark brown to match their hair but one lady had a navy blue one that matched her shirt.

Any ideas?

• Upvote 2

Okay, I think I discovered what kind of fundies I saw. From a bit of research I think they might be Apostolic. Here's a picture similar to the lace covering they were wearing:

image.png.97d5508919c7a62bbb717c0122c8163f.png

• Upvote 4

I just went down a rabbit hole of apostolic head coverings. 
Funny thing is, I've been wearing "boho" cloth headbands for a couple of months, and just found several Apostolic Etsy shops selling similar headbands. Of course, with my shorts, tank tops, & short hair, I'm in no danger of being mistaken for an Apostolic woman. (It's hot & humid here.)

I'm letting my hair/bangs grow out, and discovered cloth headbands are great for getting through the weird mullet phase that's driven me back to the scissors in the past. Plus, as I said, its HOT here, and I sweat buckets. The headbands not only keep me from looking like I have a drowned rat on my head, they also keep my head cooler. Very thankful for the laidback, super-casual beach/island vibe in my new hometown. 

Edited by FeministShrew
I apologize for any missing caps. My shift button randomly works.
  • Upvote 3

On 6/25/2021 at 11:27 PM, GoddessOfVictory said:

Maybe someone can help me identify this flavor of fundie I ran across today? You've all been very helpful about figuring these things out in the past.

Okay, there were only ladies in this group, all dressed in knee-length or longer skirts and modern modest tops. The skirts were anything from jersey knit to denim to some thick black material I couldn't see well enough to identify. Most seemed to be in their late teens/early twenties and they hailed from Iowa.

They all wore their hair pulled back into a bun and the most distinctive thing about them was that right above the bun they had all pinned a wide strip of what looked like lace. It didn't cover the bun it was just kind of flatly plastered to the back of their heads. The lace was also either shades of light or dark brown to match their hair but one lady had a navy blue one that matched her shirt.

Any ideas?

What you described is sort of generic to what various adherents of the  Christian head covering movement  wears .  For some examples , this woman 

Spoiler

Bernice-Copenhaver1.jpg

, and this well known example , " The Seven Sisters" , whom we've commented on here before . 

Spoiler

8385418794_2dc530f47e_z.jpg

But most prevalently , it is associated with Conservative Mennonites , as showcased here in this blog post  https://belizemennonites.blogspot.com/2018/02/mennonite-headcoverings-part-3.html , and illustrated by this photo .  

Spoiler

bfdca509c76bfc34c045d046d02c5d18--head-c

In addition , as I have referred to before , there is this one YouTuber , whom is Conservative Mennonite , and she resembles what you have described .  

Spoiler

16 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

Okay, I think I discovered what kind of fundies I saw. From a bit of research I think they might be Apostolic. Here's a picture similar to the lace covering they were wearing:

image.png.97d5508919c7a62bbb717c0122c8163f.png

Not to be contentious , but I actually have some extended family that is Apostolic / Oneness Pentecostal . I do not think that they typically wear a covering such as this , except for maybe during worship .  But this does raise an interesting point . Many different sects of Christian will have a similar look , known as " plain dress" ( link goes to Wikipedia article giving a description ) . It is my impression , given what this video I watched states 

Spoiler

, that it had originated from among the Quakers , and then spread from there , first to the Amish of Pennsylvania , and then later to other groups .   

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

@Marmion It may very well be a generic Christian head covering but none of the examples you gave are exactly like what I saw. But when I google Apostolic head coverings I see lace strips that look just like what these ladies were wearing. Are the ladies Apostolic - who knows? But it's the closest thing I have found so far.

Here are similar examples I see all over Etsy listed as Apostolic head covering.

image.png.f3a2f7b4405dba4be53dee6bc141dfe2.png

Spoiler

image.png.2d0ebaa55e21fd797ceba1d8fcf7662e.pngimage.png.2d4a08ee247601775ec9b4f48c732d14.pngimage.png.0fc6452535d64bd771e968fe28aeb3bb.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:07 PM, GoddessOfVictory said:

@Marmion It may very well be a generic Christian head covering but none of the examples you gave are exactly like what I saw. But when I google Apostolic head coverings I see lace strips that look just like what these ladies were wearing. Are the ladies Apostolic - who knows? But it's the closest thing I have found so far.

Here are similar examples I see all over Etsy listed as Apostolic head covering.

Hide contents

image.png.2d0ebaa55e21fd797ceba1d8fcf7662e.pngimage.png.2d4a08ee247601775ec9b4f48c732d14.pngimage.png.0fc6452535d64bd771e968fe28aeb3bb.png

Okay , I see where the confusion lies . You see , I had been thinking you were referring to the United Pentecostal Church International , also commonly known as Apostolics .  This is what a number of my extended family has been , so I am familiar with how they typically look . But now that you mention it , I recall reading of this one Anabaptist sect , known as the Apostolic Christian Church  ( Wikipedia article ) , in this book , entitled " Why Do They Dress That Way " , by Stephen Scott .  I feel , based upon what I found here in this link , from an Apostolic Christian blogger .  https://givingittogod.blogspot.com/2014/02/tatted-apostolic-christian-church-of.html , and read on this forum thread http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1089 , that this would be the church group in question . Picture taken from blog . 

Spoiler

SDC16556.JPG

• Thank You 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, Howl said:

Now I'm tempted to look at the video.  Natty delaying tying the knot  for so long makes me think he's never been excited about the prospect of marriage, but if Nathaniel has further political ambitions and you know he does, he's got to have a wife by his side. 

He does look moderately happy here, though:  Nathaniel Darnell and Abigail Cochran Wedding Website   They were married in July, in the midst of the pandemic, so there's that.

Their story is cringeworthy due to the usual elements:  homeschool, Trinitarian god!, interviewed by her dad so patriarchy, courtship, she a musician who works to save the preborn.  

However, it looks like Natty is only 32. Can that be right? I assumed he was in his 40s. 

LOL he’s tried to marry every female he’s come in contact with for the past 20 years because yeah — he is 40 this December. And his 25 year old looks 14 bride is expecting any day after 12 months of marriage (he finally got one hooked, lined, and sunk)…. Poor thing. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/27/2021 at 9:07 PM, GoddessOfVictory said:

Is this tatting? Crochet? 

• Upvote 1

That particular head covering appears to be tatted. 

my maternal grandmother tatted and crocheted. I could talk to her and joke around while she was crocheting, but if any of us talked to her while she was tatting we might find ourselves the target of an empty spindle. 

If she was making bobbin lace we stayed out of the room altogether and practiced breathing quietly. 

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

One of the fundiest people I've met in real life died. He was in his 80s. He is responsible along with his wife for bringing the family into fundementalism. So far they've never interact with any fundies followed here. 

Oh how I love volunteering at the zoo. Fundy watching, and I met another volunteer Mennonite, today, who’s half Japanese. Her father was a missionary, but they were teaching English, in Japan. I don’t mind missionaries that provide good education or medical services.

Pentecostals are as contentious as Mennonites, and thus there are 85 flavours of each. We went Pentecostal when God showed dad the light and I was 5 and all the women cut their hair, and the men started shaving. 

I saw various kinds of modest dress and head coverings today. I counted 8 kids with one couple, but the older 4 were girls, and may have been some friends. The parents were looking after the little ones! 

And it was sunny and about 30 degrees, and I saw a beautiful family, only one child, and mom had a Sophia dress. Tripping length, just a little baggy, on her Rodchild like body, with sleeves. Not a teen bride, and had an ESL accent. Maybe Russian? Dad had a beard. I wonder if there are still Mennonites in Russia. Off to google. 

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

We were driving through southern Steuben and Allegany Counties this last weekend and we both noted how, if not exactly lavish, how “not plain” the Amish houses look. They almost all have enormous porches, fussy outbuildings, showy gazebos, not just the places that are selling them. Now I love our house, and someday hope to have a gazebo, but so many of these plain, simple people are extraordinarily house proud. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, BlackberryGirl said:

We were driving through southern Steuben and Allegany Counties this last weekend and we both noted how, if not exactly lavish, how “not plain” the Amish houses look. They almost all have enormous porches, fussy outbuildings, showy gazebos, not just the places that are selling them. Now I love our house, and someday hope to have a gazebo, but so many of these plain, simple people are extraordinarily house proud. 

Is that in upstate NY? We used to live in that area. I think part of the reason is that not all of those homes were built by them; many were built by non-Amish/Mennonite and then sold. We did have friends who worked closely with the local Mennonites and so heard stories of them having to pull out the electric wiring and so on when they bought homes. So some of the outbuildings/"showiness" factors might be preexisting. I suspect the porches are the same way, especially considering the lack of AC. Not too many farmhouses without porches in that area.

I think this is my first post... I've lurked for a while but what a random first post lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

No, most of these are older 1880-1920 farmhouses the Amish are fixing up. Many were abandoned and the Amish have been buying them up. A lot of them have small sawmills on them, rather than dairy farms. The gazebos and porches are new.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

No, most of these are older 1880-1920 farmhouses the Amish are fixing up. Many were abandoned and the Amish have been buying them up. A lot of them have small sawmills on them, rather than dairy farms. The gazebos and porches are new.

Ah, gotcha! Most of the farms I remember driving by were dairy farms or just general farming so I'm thinking of something a little different then. They looked well cared for, but very few were what I would call fancy. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, GoddessOfVictory said:

Any ideas?

Exclusive Brethren? 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Chicago this week to hit the museums and the Willis Tower. Much to my surprise there were 3 Amish men going up the elevator of the Tower with us. No women folk though.

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

We went to Chicago this week to hit the museums and the Willis Tower. Much to my surprise there were 3 Amish men going up the elevator of the Tower with us. No women folk though.

Interesting. I went to the 9/11 museum back in 2014 & their were like 5 or 6 Amish men. I was surprised they were their. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if this would be fundie per se, but yesterday I was in a store and a Muslim woman started talking to me in the checkout line about this shirt she was considering. She said how she loved the color and fabric, but because she wears sleeves down to her wrists (and this shirt was 3/4 sleeves), she didn't think having a white or black shirt under this beautiful pink shirt would look good. I didn't really know what to say, and just kind of asked if she had any other color shirts that may look good under it. Ultimately she put the shirt back, and it just really bummed me out because you could tell how much she loved the shirt!

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3

Folks, I might have my very own, personal, play-at-home version of a Fundie sighting... I have recently met and am being wooed by a Southern Baptist pastor... widower... and let me tell you, he is not nearly as prim and proper as these fundies would lead us to believe they are...

Oh my goodness, I am getting an education!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic