IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters: Part 5

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

If I had that many kids I would let them wear bright orange all the time as well. Easy to lose one if you don't even know all of their names.

If I had that many kids I wouldn’t go anywhere! ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

No fundie sightings in person yet, but I just moved to central Florida. I saw a local hair dresser that posted a picture of Alyssa Bates as one of her clients, and I saw that Alyssa went to a local farm close by. I think there may be a Wissman or someone also? But I don't follow them. Any other famous fundies I need to be on the look out for?

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

No fundie sightings in person yet, but I just moved to central Florida. I saw a local hair dresser that posted a picture of Alyssa Bates as one of her clients, and I saw that Alyssa went to a local farm close by. I think there may be a Wissman or someone also? But I don't follow them. Any other famous fundies I need to be on the look out for?

Drew and Kori Wissmann live in FL but I can’t remember exactly where. Drew is probably easier to spot than Kori because he’s so muscular. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/6/2020 at 11:17 PM, adidas said:

I got a hand written letter personally addressed to me.

I've also received two letters from the same JW with Bible verses listed for "encouragement."  If I received a third, I'll respond to the address on the envelope and ask to be removed from their list. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Howl said:

I've also received two letters from the same JW with Bible verses listed for "encouragement."  If I received a third, I'll respond to the address on the envelope and ask to be removed from their list. 

I have heard of this .  

Spoiler

The Watchtower Society even has children sending letters to other children .  

Spoiler

What you need to do is to ask to be placed on their do not call list .   

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Watch for a huge covid outbreak in Yates County NY. As we drove home from picking up the grandkid from college we passes an Amish home with a minimum of 50 Amish buggies outside. The horses were all unhitched and in a paddock and there was a pile of at least 20 bicycles in the front yard. As we were passing we watched 5 people walk into the house. 

unfreaking believable.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

Watch for a huge covid outbreak in Yates County NY. As we drove home from picking up the grandkid from college we passes an Amish home with a minimum of 50 Amish buggies outside. The horses were all unhitched and in a paddock and there was a pile of at least 20 bicycles in the front yard. As we were passing we watched 5 people walk into the house. 

unfreaking believable.

Probably a wedding. Amish weddings are often on a weekday.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Probably a wedding. Amish weddings are often on a weekday.

I think weddings are usually Tues, Wed, or Thursday. I think they are such big events and they are so strict about what you can and can’t do on Sunday that they have them in the middle of the week. That way they aren’t doing a bunch of work in preparation on the Sunday before the wedding and then they aren’t doing a bunch of wedding clean up the Sunday after the wedding. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

On 11/26/2020 at 4:09 PM, BlackberryGirl said:

unfreaking believable.

Amish communities emphasize strong social connections and communal activities,” the CDC researchers wrote. “The importance of religious and social gatherings and communal fellowship among the Amish has challenged efforts to prevent infection during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The outbreak is mostly indicative of what happens when people gather in small social situations — something millions of lockdown-weary Americans are eager to do, regardless of whether they are Amish or not. Public health officials have advised that such gatherings should be small, be held outside if possible and follow well-known precautions about masks and social distancing.

Researchers in Wayne County found that some members of the Amish community harbored “misconceptions that mask wearing might cause harm.” Such misconceptions have also found traction in communities that are not Amish.

https://news.yahoo.com/what-we-can-learn-from-the-amish-about-coronavirus-180046868.html    

Experts believe that some practices among the Amish — such as funerals and other gatherings — could have helped the virus spread in the community.

County health departments collect some demographic information about who tests positive, such as race or ethnicity, but patients are not specifically asked their religion.

Therefore, health officials in Elkhart, LaGrange and Marshall counties don’t know if the Amish there are contracting COVID-19 at higher rates than the non-Amish. That said, there is some evidence that suggests they could be.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana/articles/2020-08-29/some-amish-practices-could-contribute-to-spread-of-covid-19  

The Amish are reading newspapers and know what’s happening, but "at the same time, they’re not wearing masks, they’re not social distancing themselves, and I do fear for their elderly. "

https://www.inquirer.com/news/amish-coronavirus-religion-covid-pennsylvania-masks-20200327.html  

Nolt, who has authored and co-authored 14 books on Amish, Mennonite, and Pennsylvania German history, notes that Amish funerals, in particular, present a public safety challenge amid the pandemic.

The Amish adhere to the tradition of holding a funeral within three days of a person’s death. Funerals are widely attended by the community.

“It’s pretty important traditionally,” Nolt said. “The idea of keeping people apart during periods of grief is something that would be hard for people to swallow.”

The Amish turn to trusted non-Amish funeral directors for their services but they hold funeral services and viewings in their private homes.

“I don’t think the Amish will defy orders but there may be some hard conversations around funerals,” Nolt said.

Another looming challenge from within the Amish community is the upcoming biannual communion church service that coincides with Easter. The Amish have communion services twice a year, in the fall and again in the spring.

Nolt said it is a community-wide service. Everyone attends.

“It’s really important, the fact that we are coming up toward Easter,” he said. “I wonder if there will be strong resistance to not having church. That would mean not having that service, which is really important.”

Getting news out to the Amish can sometimes be difficult, but in spite of any limits or lag, it does get to them.

“Schools have been closed. Churches are not meeting for worship on Sunday mornings," Nolt said. "I think it’s been taken seriously with the caveat that they are somewhat taking cues from their non-Amish neighbors who may or may not be following directives as carefully as we would wish.”

Yoder said she was confident the Amish community was aware of and receptive about the information and guidance on the pandemic.

“It’s not like they don’t know what is happening in the world,” she said. “We have a good sense that they do. We can’t say all but the message is out in the Amish community about how to prevent it and that it exists.”

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2020/04/the-amish-present-unique-challenges-amid-coronavirus.html 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

The people BlackberryGirl saw are more likely to have been Old Order Mennonites of the Groffdale Conference, also known as Wengers, rather than Amish.  The Wengers have had a settlement in Yates County since 1974, but I haven't seen any mention of an Amish settlement existing there, even in up-to-date settlement listings such as this: https://groups.etown.edu/amishstudies/files/2020/10/Amish_Pop_by_state_and_county_2020.pdf .  There are noticeable differences in dress and grooming between the two groups, such as Wenger men of all ages usually wearing their hair short and being clean-shaven, while Amish men usually wear their hair in a bowl-cut style, and grow beards if they are married.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

6 hours ago, RC-2017 said:

The people BlackberryGirl saw are more likely to have been Old Order Mennonites of the Groffdale Conference, also known as Wengers, rather than Amish.  The Wengers have had a settlement in Yates County since 1974, but I haven't seen any mention of an Amish settlement existing there, even in up-to-date settlement listings such as this: https://groups.etown.edu/amishstudies/files/2020/10/Amish_Pop_by_state_and_county_2020.pdf .  There are noticeable differences in dress and grooming between the two groups, such as Wenger men of all ages usually wearing their hair short and being clean-shaven, while Amish men usually wear their hair in a bowl-cut style, and grow beards if they are married.

According to this article I just stumbled upon , while researching this group , the Groffdale Conference has taken precautionary steps , in dealing with the pandemic .    https://anabaptistworld.org/pandemic-disrupts-plain-life/  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to post this but y’all need to run (not walk) to Natty Darnell’s public Facebook video of his “nuptials” as he calls it —terrifying idiot alert for 5 - 5:20 when a dozen boys pretending to be manly men point their rifles at the camera (which presumably also means at the cameraman.....) gulp. And this is one more reason they seem so foolish to the normal world. ??‍♀️ Also - guys - it’s like he got a child bride. She is so so so young and naive looking. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5

If this is something that is set to private, it should not be copied to FJ if it is public you should be able to see it without a Facebook account.  

• Upvote 2

I found his facebook...it's all public...and good grief...what a fucking idiot. He thinks Rand Paul is "smart". Yuk. Oh, and can someone tell him the 1960's called, they want his sideburns back. 

• Upvote 5

I just watched the wedding and reception video, and wow!  The guns are about the most twisted wedding thing I’ve ever seen, and the music at the reception just gets progressively more ominous until the end.  At the point where he dips her as they’re leaving the reception the video really feels like a scene from a horror movie, right before things start to get bloody.  It’s really creepy.

• Upvote 3

I know a lot of fundies in my real life. I'd like to think/interact, etc. less with them, but unfortunately we have mutual friends. I don't really want to give up the mutual friends. 

Anyway some of these friends are in various ages. Some of them are in their sixties. One of them recently found out that the older brother is dying. Now normally I'd have a ton of sympathy for someone with a dying relative. But this dying family member is the Josh Duggar of their family. He has problems with addiction. He was abusive towards family members.  

I've been talking to mutual friends who keep bringing this up like it's some big tragedy, and I just don't see it that way.  My friends seem to think I lack empathy. I feel I'm an empathetic person, but there's so much pain in the world, I get burned out. 

• Upvote 7

It’s hard to show screenshots of a Facebook video. You should be able to google Facebook Nathaniel Darnell and click and see his public posts. I think? Anyway. It’s worth setting up a nothing account just to find it. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

Not sure where to post this but y’all need to run (not walk) to Natty Darnell’s public Facebook video of his “nuptials” as he calls it —terrifying idiot alert for 5 - 5:20 when a dozen boys pretending to be manly men point their rifles at the camera (which presumably also means at the cameraman.....) gulp. And this is one more reason they seem so foolish to the normal world. ??‍♀️ Also - guys - it’s like he got a child bride. She is so so so young and naive looking. 

Oh. My. God. That has to be the cringeworthiest wedding video I've ever seen. Disclaimer: I watched it without sound to spare my family from my fundie obsession. But here's my take on it: Natty literally looks and acts like an alien trying to impersonate a human bridegroom. It is all so fake and so performative that it makes my teeth hurt. Also, I disagree on the bride looking naive - to me, she gives off a super calculating and judgy vibe (I don't know her, possibly I'm wrong, just my impression from the constant sideward glances). As for the rifles: WHAT THE EVERLOVING F***? 

Edited by Nothing if not critical
Not a native speaker - sometimes it takes me a while to find the word I'm looking for
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Oh. My. God. That has to be the cringeworthiest wedding video I've ever seen. Disclaimer: I watched it without sound to spare my family from my fundie obsession. But here's my take on it: Natty literally looks and acts like an alien trying to impersonate a human bridegroom. It is all so fake and so performative that it makes my teeth hurt. Also, I disagree on the bride looking naive - to me, she gives off a super calculating and bitchy vibe (I don't know her, possibly I'm wrong, just my impression). As for the rifles: WHAT THE EVERLOVING F***? 

Now I’m just imagining Natty as the dad alien at the end of Mac and Me.

88100FF1-B337-45BB-8985-AA128CB0E867.jpeg

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, Nothing if not critical said:

Natty literally looks and acts like an alien trying to impersonate a human bridegroom.

Now I'm tempted to look at the video.  Natty delaying tying the knot  for so long makes me think he's never been excited about the prospect of marriage, but if Nathaniel has further political ambitions and you know he does, he's got to have a wife by his side. 

He does look moderately happy here, though:  Nathaniel Darnell and Abigail Cochran Wedding Website   They were married in July, in the midst of the pandemic, so there's that.

Their story is cringeworthy due to the usual elements:  homeschool, Trinitarian god!, interviewed by her dad so patriarchy, courtship, she a musician who works to save the preborn.  

However, it looks like Natty is only 32. Can that be right? I assumed he was in his 40s. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...

Real life fundie sighting in my own home: my new helper, courtesy of my county, arrived and I went (internally) oh sweet Rufus, she's a Pentacostal.   Sweet lady, but dead give away in the JRod style skirt, multiple shirts and the hair that has never been cut.    Oh my goodness.

On a more positive note, we have already had the "I don't like churches with rules" and gave her my Coke product spectrum view on religions.

And she does windows!

• Upvote 11

• 1 month later...

Where: BBQ joint in a suburb of St. Louis

When: Friday 26 March about 7 pm

Who: One man, dressed to blend in to society perfectly, 3 women: 2 with single braids halfway to their waist; one with a kapp on her head; all in dowdy shirtwaist dresses; 4 or 5 kids between 4 & 10, skirts for girls.

How: BIG-ass late-model black Chevy Suburban.  Blacked-out side and rear windows, MO plates, back full of junk, and I'm very certain just two rows of seating and not a total of 7 or 8 seatbelts.

To their credit, the all had been well behaved (they'd been seated in an otherwise-empty dining area and I hadn't heard them all during our meal) and the women walked tall and at least one talked in an assertive voice, no JillRod baby speech or keep-sweet tones.

I: couldn't help it.  I said to my friend, "Yuck, fundamentalists. Jerks. Creeps.  Patriarchialists." My friend just changed the subject.  Y'know, it's MJB, she says stuff like that. :D 

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic