IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

5 hours ago, viii said:

Right?! And it was featured in TWO meals. Like... ugh. I am a picky eater, and I'm aware of this. I strive not to be, but at the end of the day, I can't force myself to like things that I just genuinely don't. Thursday evening for example - a girl made a veggie lasagna that had eggplant as the basis, instead of meat. I had never had eggplant before, so I willingly gave it a try. Not for me. I picked the eggplant chunks out and ate the rest (minus the pile of mushrooms). Saturday night was spaghetti and meat sauce - full of mushrooms. If you're cooking for strangers, why would you add weird stuff to your meat sauce?! Blech. I felt so bad that everyone gave me such a hard time over it. 

Calling Canadian food cardboard is an insult, just so you know. 

I agree with most of what you said. However, I want to point out that what’s weird to you isn’t necessarily weird to someone else. I obviously don’t know the story behind the specific situation you mentioned, but it’s possible something you may consider “weird” is something another person grew up eating and doesn’t even think twice about it. Case in point:

Meatloaf. I was over my (now) in-law’s house for dinner soon after husband and I first started dating. His mom made meatloaf and I was pretty taken aback that it not only contained bacon, but that it also didn’t contain tomato paste or onion like my mom’s did.   I only ever ate my mom’s meatloaf, so (as dumb as this sounds) it never really occurred to me that husband grew up with something different. 

On another note, how’s everyone doing on their “FJ Food Related BINGO” cards? Anyone have “Canada related side conversation?” How about “Poster bursts in like the Kool-Aid Guy regarding animals being killed?” Anyone?

(And yes, I am trying to lighten the mood. Is that so obvious? :pb_lol:

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the your being dramatic or to suck it up. Also the well that can't be real because I've never heard of it. So you are up on all allergies and stomach issues that exist? I have a stomach issue that is controlled by a very strict and specific diet. I know what I can and can't eat. I try really hard to help people out if its a dinner or party or something because I know how hard it is to think of something I can eat when your not used to cooking for someone who has so many foods she can't eat. Many times I bring something to make it easier. But I hate being told to suck it up or that I am being dramatic. Or being lectured on the health of vegetables when I know I can't eat them and I have already explained to that person why I can't eat them. I'm not eating vegetables because I'm being picky or difficult its because I know if I eat them I'll be throwing up every morning for the next week or two. I don't want to do that.  That's exactly what will happen if I eat something I shouldn't. Why are you trying to convince me to eat something that will make me sick? I've even gotten the well you haven't thrown up in a couple years it must be all fixed. No, I haven't thrown up in the last couple years because I haven't eaten anything I shouldn't.   

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

I can’t imagine my love for Miniway ever going away. He could become the most evil serial killer of all time and I would hate everything he has done but I would still love him. 

I wish you were my mom! Miniway is very lucky!! My mom hates me (and I've never even killed anyone!! haha)

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

For those interested, here’s the cookie recipe:

https://www.tasteslovely.com/dairy-free-peanut-butter-cookies/

Its a very simple recipe to bake, takes very little time, and they taste fantastic.

Thank you, @VelociRapture! I have an excellent friend with Celiac’s. She’ll lose her mind over these.?

1 hour ago, MadameOvary said:

Sorry, but no. Animals do not "give" their life, it is forcibly taken from them. They are living, feeling, conscious beings who very much do not want to die. Anyone who participates in that process whether it be butchering or eating, does not "respect" the animal in any shape or form. 

I have been vegetarian since birth. I love animals. I must respectfully disagree.

Factory farming is a hideous practice. Trophy hunting is abhorrent. 

I do not believe the majority of humans need to eat meat to survive.

All my life I have fought with people who think that all vegetarian and vegans believe as you do. It sucks.

Humans and animals coexist on Earth. For many years hunting was normal practice. The eating of meat is not abnormal. What is abnormal is that we have become desensitized from our environment and know little about our food. Period.

A hunted deer, a sustainably raised cow that has been thanked or treated humanely. And yeah, people do that. I’ve seen it....is probably better eating than my vegetarian frozen dinner.

@VelociRapture lol I didn’t see your post till after I got agitated at the Koolaid man poster. I’m usually content sitting out epic food-related repeats. That one was a bit too incendiary. My sincerest apologies.

21 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

I wish you were my mom! Miniway is very lucky!! My mom hates me (and I've never even killed anyone!! haha)

That sucks! I don’t think I can adopt you, but I can give you a virtual hug. :hug:

I also want to say that this really is the thread that screamed pregnancy. It’s hot all the time!

5 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I also want to say that this really is the thread that screamed pregnancy. It’s hot all the time!

I always figure Jill or Derick has done something obnoxious when I see this thread hot. If I were to also see an Upcoming Babies thread or a Duggar baby names thread in the recent topics at the bottom of the page,  then I'd start to wonder...

30 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Humans and animals coexist on Earth. For many years hunting was normal practice. The eating of meat is not abnormal.

I'm a vegan, but I do agree, eating meat is a fairly normal practice. Factory farming is not normal at all and if people had to see the reality of where their meat came from would probably end up demanding massive amounts of change. 

But her point was that animals aren't "giving" their lives and that they want to live, which is true. Those cows I drive past every single day very much want to stay alive, they will not voluntarily go to be killed. They can thank that cow all they want but it would rather stay in the field eating grass than go to be butchered and turned into a meal. The deer that is shot in the woods, is wanting to stay alive. 

People can kill animals in the kindest way they can, but the animal isn't giving the life, the life is being taken, hopefully in a way that causes as little suffering as possible. 

Regarding picky eating, I'm vegan and while I don't mind eating some dairy on occasion it is extremely important to me not to eat meat. I won't do it just to be polite, and anyone who thinks I should doesn't understand or care how devastating it would be to me to eat an animal. I stopped eating meat as a child just because I didn't want to eat animals (I didn't even know what a vegetarian was) and I've been mocked for it many times along the years but I just won't eat meat.

At the same time, maybe it's because my dietary restrictions are extreme for a lot of people, but I never expect people to accommodate my diet. It's my issue, not theirs. I wouldn't be offended in the slightest if someone close to me didn't make something vegan (assuming they weren't intentionally doing to to be rude, in which case it would still be the attitude not lack of food that's the issue). I just don't expect others to go out of their way to deal with my finicky requirements.

Of course, while I've never asked anyone to make vegan food, most of my family does want to make food I can eat and I often actually end up with more food than I can deal with at family get-togethers!

24 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm a vegan, but I do agree, eating meat is a fairly normal practice. Factory farming is not normal at all and if people had to see the reality of where their meat came from would probably end up demanding massive amounts of change. 

But her point was that animals aren't "giving" their lives and that they want to live, which is true. Those cows I drive past every single day very much want to stay alive, they will not voluntarily go to be killed. They can thank that cow all they want but it would rather stay in the field eating grass than go to be butchered and turned into a meal. The deer that is shot in the woods, is wanting to stay alive. 

People can kill animals in the kindest way they can, but the animal isn't giving the life, the life is being taken, hopefully in a way that causes as little suffering as possible. 

That’s a difference of opinion. I don’t attribute “want” to the animals in that way. I do place us above them to a certain degree. I don’t really think that any consensus can be met on that point.

I’ve never met anyone who grew up like I did. I’m just not militant. It was, basically, my religion growing up. And part of what made me weird. These days I find that my feelings have become more complicated.

And I was mostly concerned with the notion  the meat eaters didn’t respect their food. That’s certainly not true. We can debate about the innate qualities and feelings of the animals forever. But that comment is slightly inflamatory in the idea that people aren’t conscientous consumers just because they eat meat.

Hugs to everyone who deals with food issues and insensitive people. My mom has developed a dairy allergy. She also can't eat chocolate because it gives her terrible migraines. She would like nothing more than to be able to eat this stuff again. It's a bit of a hassle sometimes but I deliberately try to find dairy free recipes so that she can enjoy what she's eating too. 

My mother-in-law has apparently developed a gluten intolerance. I can't say I really love my mother-in-law but I feel bad when she can't have dessert so I've experimented with a couple of things that are gluten free for her with good results. 

I am going to be honest. I would totally eat the turkey bear. If you stuffed him with stuffing and gravy, I would buy him and have no problem eating him. Of course I would also eat a bucket of chicken skin. I am weird that way. I am not ashamed of my love of meat. 

As to allergies, my friend’s son has a myriad of allergies. They always get him a vegan pizza from a place that has always served a specific type of vegan cheese. Once, when his dad ordered it, he specifically asked if they were still using that type of vegan cheese and was told they were. Turns out, they were not and the person who took the order didn’t feel it would be a big deal. The new vegan cheese they were using was made of cashews, To which the kid was allergic. Well the kid, thought it looked funny but took a bite and spit it out right away because it tasted different. Within a few minutes he was feeling warm and his face covered in splotches. Luckily, it didn’t get worse. My friend was up all night watching her son sleep to make sure he didn’t get worse. Allergies are scary. I watched him get red and splotchy once after someone, who had just touched cheese, touched his face. 

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

I always figure Jill or Derick has done something obnoxious when I see this thread hot. If I were to also see an Upcoming Babies thread or a Duggar baby names thread in the recent topics at the bottom of the page,  then I'd start to wonder...

i foresee a picture of derick flexing his muscles with a positive pregnancy stick in the background 

give it time. 

4 minutes ago, socalrules said:

As to allergies, my friend’s son has a myriad of allergies. They always get him a vegan pizza from a place that has always served a specific type of vegan cheese. Once, when his dad ordered it, he specifically asked if they were still using that type of vegan cheese and was told they were. Turns out, they were not and the person who took the order didn’t feel it would be a big deal. The new vegan cheese they were using was made of cashews, To which the kid was allergic. Well the kid, thought it looked funny but took a bite and spit it out right away because it tasted different. Within a few minutes he was feeling warm and his face covered in splotches. Luckily, it didn’t get worse. My friend was up all night watching her son sleep to make sure he didn’t get worse. Allergies are scary. I watched him get red and splotchy once after someone, who had just touched cheese, touched his face. 

Yes! Cashews are EVERYWHERE in vegan cuisine. Whoever figured out that you can make a cheese substitute from cashews is the devil (joking, joking)! It drives me crazy how people don't take allergies seriously and it's a big part of the reason I'm so paranoid about eating at restaurants or other people's houses. I won't eat at cafes or Asian restaurants at all now. Chances are I would be fine, I'm just not willing to risk it. Even if I just had a mild reaction, I don't want to deal with that.

Certain preservatives trigger headaches or migraines for me. Sodium nitrate will trigger a migraine that result in me vomiting for hours. It will result in me being unable to care for my kids or losing day of work. I am not sure why but Dearborn ham does not bother me even though sodium nitrate is one of the ingredients. Some people don't seem to believe me or take it seriously. My brother has mocked me. It is stressful to eat food that is not prepared by me or Mr. A. I don't expect special treatment. I just want to avoid migraines.

I thought sodium benzonate was a headache trigger. I don't think it is anymore. I thought sodium phosphate was an issue and my headaches decreased when I started avoiding it. I have tried a few things with it in it, such as a Costco rotisserie chicken, and I have been headache free, so maybe it is not an issue or maybe quantity makes a difference. It could be due to pregnancy or some other factor. Frequent headaches can make life difficult and trying to avoid them should not be judged. It is difficult to narrow down triggers and people can sometimes innocently wrong.

I might try sodium nitrate again when I am not pregnant and don't mind losing two days of my life due to a migraine.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I agree with most of what you said. However, I want to point out that what’s weird to you isn’t necessarily weird to someone else. I obviously don’t know the story behind the specific situation you mentioned, but it’s possible something you may consider “weird” is something another person grew up eating and doesn’t even think twice about it. Case in point:

Meatloaf. I was over my (now) in-law’s house for dinner soon after husband and I first started dating. His mom made meatloaf and I was pretty taken aback that it not only contained bacon, but that it also didn’t contain tomato paste or onion like my mom’s did.   I only ever ate my mom’s meatloaf, so (as dumb as this sounds) it never really occurred to me that husband grew up with something different. 

On another note, how’s everyone doing on their “FJ Food Related BINGO” cards? Anyone have “Canada related side conversation?” How about “Poster bursts in like the Kool-Aid Guy regarding animals being killed?” Anyone?

(And yes, I am trying to lighten the mood. Is that so obvious? :pb_lol:

This is a really good point. But I will die on the mushrooms are evil hill lol

4 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Yes! It sucks that people somehow think we’re being dramatic or we should just suck it just because we won’t die. Excuse me for not wanting to experience stabbing pain and excessive bloating for the next several hours! Pardon me for not wanting to shit my guts out tomorrow morning! 

TMI? Well too bad! Don’t judge my food issues as unimportant because they’re not fatal. Even mild pain or discomfort is a good enough reason to not want to eat something. Cantaloupe only makes the inside of my mouth itchy. I still do not want it! 

/end rant

Yes!!  I have no interest in making myself or my food issues a big deal, in my experiences it is other people that make it a dramatic thing when I politely decline to eat something. I shouldn't have to give a reason, and I'm not doing it and demanding they offer me something else. All I really want to not have people roll their eyes at me, keep on pushing, or mock me for it. 

12 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

Hello fellow mayonnaise hater! I thought I was alone in my mayonnaise hatred.

I have found my people. Detest mayonnaise, will not eat it.

21 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I hate cooking for picky eaters and anyone with multiple allergies--or "intolerances" which magically come and go according to the will of the person involved.  I can't tell you how many times I've pointed out that because this specific product has sodium benzoate in it, they shouldn't be able to eat it, because they claim to be allergic to it, but then they say, "Oh, I can have that when it's in Oreos.  I don't know why, I just can."  Um, because you WANT that to be true?

There's nothing fun about cooking a dinner for a brother who can't eat onions, a brother-in-law who can't eat dairy, a sister who can't eat anything even remotely processed or with additives (except the ones she tells you afterwards are totally fine).  Ok then, here's your potatoes, your flavorless meat, and your veggies (which you aren't going to eat anyway because they're healthy and you don't really "care" for them).

This is actually me. I have a copper metabolism disorder, and when I was diagnosed I was told to go on a low-copper diet, which meant no liver, shellfish, chocolate or nuts. I, in all my 12-year-old glory, said "two of those I can do, two I cannot" and I literally have not gone a day since without eating chocolate or nuts (it's fine though, I'm well-medicated and my disorder is under control. If it wasn't, my mom has told me there would be neither chocolate nor nuts in the house)

I also have a friend who has HSAN-IV (which I barely understand, y'all can Google it if you want) and she has so many food intolerances that she can't eat around without, like, severely needing to go to the hospital, that I can't cook for her. Like, one time I found a recipe for lemon chicken and sent it to her asking "could I make this for you" but she couldn't have the soy sauce or the spice or two other very normal ingredients I can't remember that it used.

25 minutes ago, viii said:

This is a really good point. But I will die on the mushrooms are evil hill lol

I'll take your mushrooms from you! I've been known to buy a package of mushrooms, clean them, then broil them for about 30 minutes until yummy and wrinkly. Yummy treat! I also LOVE deep fried mushrooms. Unfortunately, I only know of two places close to me that have them, and have been known to drive about 30 minutes for a hamburger and deep fried mushrooms.  Wiping the drool off my keyboard now...

BlackberyGrandkid2 is a terribly picky eater. He HATES being picky. He tries different things and bursts into tears because he can’t stand it. He tends towards being vegetarian, but all raw. Fruits, milk, cheddar cheese or mozzarella. Cereal, but only dry. He will drink a glass of milk with his Cheerios, but not pour milk on them. He will eat chicken tenders., and he finally started eating pizza when he was 8. 

I think its a sensory issue and figure as long as he’s healthy and his doctor isn’t worried, I’m not worried. 

But I love to cook and wish he would eat more of my meals. 

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

That is horrible and irresponsible of the company to serve him the new cheese. I have worked doing catering jobs for 14 years and I have always double checked for ingredients in food when someone asks, even when I worked match days at Celtic Park and had to serve customers fast, I still asked the team leader or cook to check the ingredients list. 

Their has been a case here where a young girl bought a sandwich from Pret a Manger before boarding a flight to Paris and took I'll on the plane by the time she landed and got taken to hospital it was too late and she died, her sandwich had contained sesame seeds, which she was allergic to but it wasn't listed on the packaging. Pret had used a loophole in the law designed to help smaller businesses to get round writing every allergen on packaging, they did say they have additional allergy lists behind the counter but people were unaware of it and the rules.

7 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

BlackberyGrandkid2 is a terribly picky eater. He HATES being picky. He tries different things and bursts into tears because he can’t stand it. He tends towards being vegetarian, but all raw. Fruits, milk, cheddar cheese or mozzarella. Cereal, but only dry. He will drink a glass of milk with his Cheerios, but not pour milk on them. He will eat chicken tenders., and he finally started eating pizza when he was 8. 

I think its a sensory issue and figure as long as he’s healthy and his doctor isn’t worried, I’m not worried. 

But I love to cook and wish he would eat more of my meals. 

I have fairly severe sensory issues around food and I do dry cereal with milk in glass to drink as well.  Doesn't hurt anything so my mom never made a big deal out of it.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have fairly severe sensory issues around food and I do dry cereal with milk in glass to drink as well.  Doesn't hurt anything so my mom never made a big deal out of it.

I eat Frosted Mini Wheats one at a time, dunking them (by spoon) in a mug of milk! Soggy cereal is the worst thing ever.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived