IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

1 minute ago, viii said:

Yes, I think it's only a matter of time before Derick decides that he is done, and will leave. And I really do pity Jill, because she has not been raised to mentally, emotionally, or financially be equipped to handle that. 

As far as finances go if they can support deadbeat Josh for year after year as he makes kid after kid they can take care of Jill and her kids when it happens.

They crippled her, they can pay for it.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Our Wegmans sells Hatch one weekend a year. We were out of town for the one this year so we had a friend go pick up some for us.  Our freezer is stuffed to the gills with the little green gems. 

I’d much rather be in the 505 to get them fresh , but such is life. 

Wait, did someone say Hatch?  

Just came came back from vacationing in the 505 and I thoroughly enjoyed the local cuisine featuring the "little green gems".  Even bought muffins from Albertsons with them.  Brought home Hatch chile power and whole dried chiles to use in cooking.

And lo and behold, thinking I wouldn't be able to find anything with Hatch in my niche of northern IL, I chanced upon frozen tacos from Costco with Hatch in them!

Hatch peppers are the new trendy thing, they've been everywhere this year. I'm certain they are making their way into the prairie as we speak. :)

People who are pushing food often aren't doing it to be rude. It's often cultural - you show love by sharing food and being concerned that everyone has had enough, even when everyone is stuffed. There's also an entire dramatic "thing" that people in my family do where you pretend to not want anything because you don't want to put anyone out of money/food, so the people offering insist, and it goes back and forth for a while.  (We also never eat the last of anything. Drives my SO crazy.) 

Am I the only person on FJ who loves mayo? Damn, you're all making me feel like such a freak over here. I'm questioning everything about my life now. 

9 minutes ago, BernRul said:

Am I the only person on FJ who loves mayo? Damn, you're all making me feel like such a freak over here. I'm questioning everything about my life now. 

You should.  Mayo is awful. ??

J/K.  But, really I'm firmly team no mayo.

23 minutes ago, BernRul said:

Fear not, you are not alone.  I love the stuff.

29 minutes ago, BernRul said:

No you aren't. I love mayo and Miracle Whip! 

31 minutes ago, BernRul said:

I’m a pro Mayo FJer.  Love it on fries, quinoa mixed with mayo and vinaigrette dressing. Season it with chipotle powder and use it as a mixin with rice and beanswith rice and beans  ? 

I also want to add that while I couldn't stand Miracle Whip as a kid, growing up in a household where only Hellmann's reigned, as an adult I can eat Miracle Whip and be fine with it.  

ETA: in recipes, if it says mayo that's what is used. If MW, then that's what is used.  I don't interchange because I know the taste is different.   

Just now, libgirl2 said:

No you aren't. I love mayo and Miracle Whip! 

Love MW, but have an awesome recipe for spinach dip that calls for a little mayo amongst other things...that i don't substitute because my family loves it as is and MW makes it a little too sweet...but that's the only thing I buy real mayo for.

My mom did me a huge disservice by allowing MW to be called mayonnaise in my house.  I had no idea there was a difference until I had a bologna and mayo sandwich at a friends house and couldn't swallow it.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My mom did me a huge disservice by allowing MW to be called mayonnaise in my house.  I had no idea there was a difference until I had a bologna and mayo sandwich at a friends house and couldn't swallow it.

This is where I discovered MW, in a friend's house and they called it mayonnaise.   Experienced the same thing, getting a completely different taste than I expected. 

I like to consider myself a true mayonnaise neutral. I'll eat it in egg/potato salad and whatnot, but I won't like, glob it on a sandwich. (Sandwiches get honey mustard. Yum!)

11 minutes ago, Babysitter said:

I like to consider myself a true mayonnaise neutral. I'll eat it in egg/potato salad and whatnot, but I won't like, glob it on a sandwich. (Sandwiches get honey mustard. Yum!)

Same! It belongs in certain things, like potato salad and deviled eggs (the two items I can make from scratch - as they're appropriate at all possible potluck situations), but I won't put it on a sandwich. If I get a burger with mayo on it I'll scrape most of it off, but I don't mind small amounts on there. 

I'll confess...we didn't have tartar sauce for fish sticks growing up...my mom made a Miracle Whip / ketchup blend which I still love.

When that got a shout out in Step-Brothers as fancy sauce it made me happier than was reasonable.  They sell it now (with mayo instead of MW) but I can tell my the color they have the ratio wrong.

Now I want fish sticks with fancy sauce, rice-a-roni, and broccoli.  Am I a Duggar yet?

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As far as finances go if they can support deadbeat Josh for year after year as he makes kid after kid they can take care of Jill and her kids when it happens.

They crippled her, they can pay for it.

They support Josh though, because in their culture, it's a lot harder for the men to face consequences. If Derick left, Jill would 100% be blamed, and would suffer financially from that without a doubt in my mind. 

5 minutes ago, viii said:

They support Josh though, because in their culture, it's a lot harder for the men to face consequences. If Derick left, Jill would 100% be blamed, and would suffer financially from that without a doubt in my mind. 

IDK...JB and M seem to be all bark and no bite. Remember leave and cleave? Nothing but words. OTOH, who knows what really goes on behind the closed doors of the TTH , besides the obvious sweet fellowship.:output_eeMbjt:

We've only ever seen one instance of bad behaviour, and it was heavily rumored that Anna was treated poorly from the Duggars because of it. 

I feel like if a daughter was to go through a cheating scandal or divorce, the reactions would be quite similar and she would receive a lot of backlash. I don't think her parents would leave her homeless, but I do think she would be forced to carry the weight of the blame. 

Not getting the mayo hate either, I prefer Miracle Whip but mayo will do in a pinch. You want to talk nasty, mushrooms, FUNGUS!  I. DO. NOT. EAT. FUNGUS! So y'all can have my share of the fungus I'll take the Miracle Whip to eat my French fries with.  Yes I said that, don't judge me! :tongue: :pb_lol:

5 minutes ago, viii said:

We've only ever seen one instance of bad behaviour, and it was heavily rumored that Anna was treated poorly from the Duggars because of it. 

I feel like if a daughter was to go through a cheating scandal or divorce, the reactions would be quite similar and she would receive a lot of backlash. I don't think her parents would leave her homeless, but I do think she would be forced to carry the weight of the blame. 

I also don't think a woman would be allowed to live alone with her children, I think they'd force her to move back into the TTH and raise her children there under JB's umbrella. After all, you can't direct a household without a penis, it's like a compass, always pointing to God's will.

4 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

oh I love pretty much all foods except for the foods I am allergic to. I don't like water chestnuts, red cabbage that you get in the pre salad mix greens and liver wurst. It makes me shudder and gag.

There are 5 foods that I will not eat.

Liver

Cow heart

Live Squid

Bugs

Tomato on a hamburger

7 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

After all, you can't direct a household without a penis, it's like a compass, always pointing to God's will.

Beautifully put!

I have been trying to stay out of the mayonnaise culture wars but cannot resist any longer.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Duke's Mayonnaise. I like to read a lot of Southern authors and it seems like Mary Kay Andrews and Haywood Smith especially are always talking about I use Dukes on a sandwich or I mixed this with dukes. Unfortunately, I have never tasted it. Could one of you who has tasted it and is possibly from the south tell me how Dukes taste different than Hellmann's or Best Foods? I am not picking on Duke's, I'm just trying to find out what tastes different and makes it really special? It's kind of like me trying to explain shredded chicken sandwiches to anyone who did not grow up in Ohio... 

As for my no thank you foods, there are two: parsnips and hard-boiled eggs. I do not like the smell when you crack the shell. I do not like the slimy white that slithers around my mouth and down my throat. I don't like the gritty stinky yellow that tastes like something died in my mouth and feels like sand against my tongue.

2 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

There are 5 foods that I will not eat.

Liver

Cow heart

Live Squid

Bugs

Tomato on a hamburger

I won't eat any of that shit either, I won't eat anything live, period.  EWWW.  A friend of mine was in Japan a couple weeks ago and she was sharing her adventures in food, She had lots of food with eyes, raw food, she was pretty brave trying everything, even braver than I would have been, I couldn't do the fish with eyes.  It is so funny what we think is nasty other consider delicacies.   As I watched video of her eating the full shrimp with head and eye balls and innards,  all I could think of was that scene in Uncle Buck where Mucally Culkin whispers "he's cooking our garbage"

4 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

oh I love pretty much all foods except for the foods I am allergic to. I don't like water chestnuts, red cabbage that you get in the pre salad mix greens and liver wurst. It makes me shudder and gag.

What do water chestnuts taste like? I bought a ton of cans (CANS!) of them cos I saw a recipe for water chestnut stew but I think I was being adventurous, because the picture on the can looks gross and I'm too scared to open the can now and taste

4 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Duke's Mayonnaise.

I grew up in the South and had never heard of or seen Duke's Mannaze (yes, that's how I say it) until I saw TV commercials for it.

21 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'll take the Miracle Whip to eat my French fries with.  Yes I said that, don't judge me!

I like to dip my french fries in vanilla milkshakes. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived