IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

53 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I have found my people. Detest mayonnaise, will not eat it.

Yesssssss.

I used to make my ex-husband's lunches when I was home. Dude looooooved mayo. It had to be slathered on both sides of the bread and I apparently never put enough. Damn near vomited every time I'd make his lunches from seeing and smelling mayo ? 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

The mayonaise issue belongs on the bingo card as well.

What about the mayo vs. miracle whip throw down? ;) 

11 minutes ago, caitrona said:

All the same sh’bang.

11 minutes ago, caitrona said:

This could be epic.

:popcorn:

11 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

If you would like, I have several recipes that might be good especially with regards to your allergies. Let me know and I am more than happy to share with you. If not, I am totally cool with it. In my family, we have people who are allergic to gluten, dairy, strawberries and nuts. We try our hardest and 95% of the time it works, but we make sure we can all eat it without causing any illnesses or ER trips. 

The hard part are the hidden nuts in things that you don’t expect it to be in like hamburger buns. They are like the Spanish Inquisition. The other hard part is eating out. I am now learning to cook more things and bake. I suddenly became allergic to them in the past year. It’s such a life changing thing.

I can’t eat hot. No siracha, tobasco, or hot peppers of any kind. So why do people insist, “nooo it isn’t hot!”  I tried a single bite of a mild chicken wing. Damn. It closes my throat and hurts my lungs.i wheeze and can’t breathe right, but an asthma inhaler or even going to the damn er for a nebulizer treatment doesn’t help. It is exactly like a fire inhalation injury, and it isn’t fucking funny. If I ask “is it hot,” I want to know if there are any ingredients in it from the pepper family, can the spice be measured in Scoville units. 

If my child had life threatening allergies I doubt I would ever eat out. It’s so scary. Too much of a risk to take. As it is, my child has sensory issues with food and is considered very picky. I cater to her every (almost) demand. As far as food preferences I will try my hardest to accommodate everyone. I might politely ask questions because I want to learn. Things like if someone is allergic to this, they will probably also be allergic to that because they’re in the same food family. I know the main reason we eat food is for fuel. However, I personally enjoy food so much (too much according to my tight waistband) and when possible I like to share that joy. Food should never be a fight.  

@BlackberryGirl, @HerNameIsBuffy, and @TeddyBonkers,  we went out to dinner on Saturday  with my daughter and granddaughters.  My daughter admitted that she ate her cereal dry.  I eat my cereal with very little milk -a teaspoon or two  to moisten it and if I could find one, I'd use a small slotted spoon.  (I have the right size of slotted spoon, but it's plastic.)

31 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

I can’t eat hot. No siracha, tobasco, or hot peppers of any kind. So why do people insist, “nooo it isn’t hot!”  I tried a single bite of a mild chicken wing. Damn. It closes my throat and hurts my lungs.i wheeze and can’t breathe right, but an asthma inhaler or even going to the damn er for a nebulizer treatment doesn’t help. It is exactly like a fire inhalation injury, and it isn’t fucking funny. If I ask “is it hot,” I want to know if there are any ingredients in it from the pepper family, can the spice be measured in Scoville units. 

Honestly, if that's what you mean when you ask, "is it hot," I think you need to actually say that. "Is it hot" is typically a very subjective question and what is hot to you probably really isn't hot to someone else.

If you're clear about what you mean and people still try to trick you that's awful! I hate it when people do that kind of stuff.

Not only do I ask that exact question, I have SEEN waitstaff point and laugh. The most recent was at a Pizza Hut, now out of business. Since then,  I now tell them that if there any peppers I will probably need an ambulance. 

I haven't seen anyone hating on cilantro- I personally am a hater. Tastes like the smell of stinkbugs and ivory soap. Coriander is just as nasty. Lovers? Haters? 

1 minute ago, fluffernutter said:

I haven't seen anyone hating on cilantro- I personally am a hater. Tastes like the smell of stinkbugs and ivory soap. Coriander is just as nasty. Lovers? Haters? 

Hate.  May as well squirt dishsoap in my food.  

That's one of those things that taste differently to different people.  Like broccoli, which I adore, but it tastes bitter to some people.

1 minute ago, fluffernutter said:

That makes sense since coriander is cilantro. 14% of people think it tastes like soap, likely due to a gene that detects aldehyde- which is present in soap.

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Hate.  May as well squirt dishsoap in my food.  

That's one of those things that taste differently to different people.  Like broccoli, which I adore, but it tastes bitter to some people.

The different preferences of bitter and sweet may be linked to the number of taste buds people have. There’s something called a supertaster where the person has a heightened sence of bitter taste. 

I have the soap gene. Apparently I make really, really good salsa. I wouldn’t know, because I put jalepenos and cilantro in it. ..i ain’t touching that shit! 

4 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I used to love cilantro but stink bugs ruined it for me.

This gave me more questions than answers. Care to elaborate?

Just now, Kailash said:

This gave me more questions than answers. Care to elaborate?

The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is an invasive species that was introduced to the US about 20 years ago and is is rapidly moving across the country. It's a huge problem in some areas already. As a defense mechanism it emits an odor that, to many, smells just like cilantro.

It's also really ugly:

Spoiler

599px-Pentatomidae_-_Halyomorpha_halys-0

Here's a state by state map of its distribution:

BMSB-US-CAN-map.png

I LOVE Mexican food. It's my favorite however, cilantro is unfortunately the reason why I avoid Chipotle. I absolutely cannot handle the taste of cilantro. To me, the taste of cilantro is pungent, bitter, sour and robs all of my senses from the rest of the meal that I can't taste even anything except for the cilantro. The cilantro gets into my nostrils, won't leave, and I can't even talk or feel like breathing. Cilantro is so repulsive to me that my body mimics almost like some sort of allergic reaction to it.

BabyFactoryClosing What part of AB are you in and what bigger city are you close to might be able to help you out.The brisket thing if you want it BBQ there is a few places around that they say are good or go to a actual butcher shop and order and make your self and it is stupid priced like 10 -15 bucks a pound some times Costco and Real Canadian Wholesale Club have it

27 minutes ago, Linksaas said:

BabyFactoryClosing What part of AB are you in and what bigger city are you close to might be able to help you out.The brisket thing if you want it BBQ there is a few places around that they say are good or go to a actual butcher shop and order and make your self and it is stupid priced like 10 -15 bucks a pound some times Costco and Real Canadian Wholesale Club have it

I’m an Albertan too. Happy to help if I can. 

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

... you wanna share some of those? Asking for a friend who is on a health kick to lower their slightly elevated cholesterol... :pb_lol:

Most of my recipes are in German, unfortunately, but here's a few I like that are in English:
Chickpea and Winter Vegetable Stew (you can pretty much use any vegetables you like for this - I've made it in summer with zucchini, bell peppers, etc. instead of the winter veggies and it was also a big hit) - if you want it to be 100% vegan, use agave syrup instead of honey

Chickpea and Potato Curry

Vegetable Lo Mein again, substitute agave syrup for honey to make it vegan

Lentil Potato Soup

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived