IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

Pumpkin pie is the only pie I like. In general I don't like baked fruit. Like ruining a perfectly good oatmeal cookie with raisins in it. I like raw fruit but the taste and texture when its cooked it meh to me.

Thanksgiving I'm just here for the poultry, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Then binge watching Friends Thanksgiving episodes.* And add in some wine. 

* Except for Season 7s episode where Chandler doesn't like dogs and no one can name all the states, I end up getting mad cause no one knows the states song.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/19/2018 at 6:03 PM, Hashtag Blessed said:

This year we've decided we'll make a stuffed pumpkin. Basically, a hollowed out sugar pie pumpkin, filled with a cheesy mushroom and walnut stuffing, and baked whole so you can slice right into it like a cake. We've made it once before and loved it, so that's going to be our turkey alternative again this year.

I am vegetarian as well and would love to have this recipe!

@HerNameIsBuffy,  Season 7 (Season 4 in the US) of The Great British Bake Off featured a Tudor themed show on Episode 8.  The showstopper was a marchpane challenge; the winner Candice Brown, made a beautiful marzipan peacock. The bakers didn't have it as rough as actual Tudor bakers did though.  I do think they made their own marzipan, but they did have modern equipment and materials to use.  No grinding of sugar for them!

2 hours ago, bella8050 said:

Pumpkin pie is the only pie I like. In general I don't like baked fruit. Like ruining a perfectly good oatmeal cookie with raisins in it. I like raw fruit but the taste and texture when its cooked it meh to me.

Thanksgiving I'm just here for the poultry, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Then binge watching Friends Thanksgiving episodes.* And add in some wine. 

* Except for Season 7s episode where Chandler doesn't like dogs and no one can name all the states, I end up getting mad cause no one knows the states song.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE DAKOTAS!

(It's a quote, for anyone who's worried!)

The Thanksgiving episode I've watched most is the Season 5 one, with all the flashbacks, and Monica's turkey head. "More turkey Mr Chandler?"

5 hours ago, bella8050 said:

Are you referring to Fifty Nifty United States, or do you know another one?

Fell down the rabbit hole to watch this documentary. The Tudor kitchen appeared to work exactly as it did 400 years ago was spectacular.

This is one of my favorite videos - authentic recreation of a Tudor feast and they not only cook the peacock, but they do taxidermy and use it as a centerpiece as well.

12 hours ago, cascarones said:

We've got a pan Kamehameha school shortbread in the kitchen now.

What is "pan Kamehameha school shortbread"?  

Google doesn't give me anything except shortbread moulds and regular old macadamia nut shortbread... :(

10 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Are you referring to Fifty Nifty United States, or do you know another one?

Yep that's the one! 

ETA: Jill posting food I would actually eat, wow. Between that and JD about to get married maybe the rapture is really happening. 

17 hours ago, bella8050 said:

many apologies to those of you who love them, but i always thought oatmeal raisin cookies were a dirty trick--just when you're expecting a nice yummy chocolate chip cookie......it looks like one, but it's oatmeal raisin.

^^ So much agreement here. Raisins in baked goods make me ragey. I like them in savoury dishes (ie curry), but not in baked goods. I'm also not into fruit pies. I like lemon meringue and pecan pies, and love savory pies, but my usual preference for dessert is something chocolatey.

I've also never fully got on board with the pumpkin spice thing. As a legging wearing white girl living on the west coast I'm supposed to love that flavour, but meh. It's nice, but I'd rather have chocolate. My mom once made a really moist chocolate pumpkin cake and that was right up my alley.

Oatmeal raisin cookies are the worst. Especially when you think you are getting chocolate and surprise! It's the same amount of calories and sugar, but not at all worth the caloric allowance 

35 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

As a legging wearing white girl living on the west coast I'm supposed to love that flavour, but meh.

Ooh don't get me started on that! I see people mocking white girls for liking pumpkin spice far more often than I see white girls talking about pumpkin spice! I see it as just another example of how anything women like gets mocked. And when white men in particular mock white women I think it's often just a way to be misogynist while seeming progressive.

Anything teen girls are into is particularly subject to this. Nothing teen boys are into gets mocked with anything near the fervor that things like, say, Twilight get mocked.

For those of you who hate raisins, you're in good company.  Bridget Lancaster of America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country doesn't like them either.

Love raisins in curries and grilled veggies. Oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorite. All you raisin haters can send them to me.

Thank goodness we all have different tastes. My mother used to say that it would be a strange world of we were all the same.

8 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

What is "pan Kamehameha school shortbread"?  

Google doesn't give me anything except shortbread moulds and regular old macadamia nut shortbread... :(

Kamehameha School is the school of kids that are of Native Hawai'ian descent.

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Oatmeal raisin cookies are the worst. Especially when you think you are getting chocolate and surprise! It's the same amount of calories and sugar, but not at all worth the caloric allowance 

Ugh. My husband actually prefers oatmeal raisin to chocolate chip cookies. I made some delicious, chewy chocolate chip cookies last night, and after trying one, he said: "Not bad, but you know what would make these better? Adding oats and substituting raisins for the chocolate chips."

... Still considering if that's grounds for divorce.

I love oatmeal cookies and pumpkin oatmeal cookies (back when I could eat oatmeal). They are so good. I love chocolate chip cookies too and many, many other cookies. There are so many really good cookies out there. Like pumpkin cookies. Yum! 

4 hours ago, catlady said:

many apologies to those of you who love them, but i always thought oatmeal raisin cookies were a dirty trick--just when you're expecting a nice yummy chocolate chip cookie......it looks like one, but it's oatmeal raisin.

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

"Not bad, but you know what would make these better? Adding oats and substituting raisins for the chocolate chips."

... Still considering if that's grounds for divorce.

Yes. Yes it is. The man is clearly insane.

ETA: I know we have rules about diagnosing via Internet, but c'mon.  We all see this craziness, right?

I love fruit pies. I'm not much of a fan of raw fruit - but throw it in a pie and I'm all over it. Now that I'm GF, I've found that Glutino makes a rice flour that's pretty decent for crust. Unless I break down and use my (hoarded) flour I buy from England.

Edit:  EXCEPT RAISINS. Don't make me eat those rat-turd-looking things. nope

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived