IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

if anyone wants scratch recipes from the kitchen of the Crazy ass Cuban who doesn't use a cookbook most of the time let me know. 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, melon said:

Buffy,you know what is good??Those chocolate no bake cookies,and instead of using oatmeal,use coconut.

I'm sorry, what is this glorious witchcraft of which you speak?  Off to google no bake cookies.

You know what I love?  coconut ice-cream.  It's not nearly as common as it should be.

@church_of_dog,  I may have to try the cayenne pepper in my pumpkin pie. I do put freshly ground black pepper in my gingerbread people. I learned that from Martha Stewart.  

@Rowan, I didn't cut out the cranberry sauce with my turkey cookie cutter, but I do cut out turkeys out of pie dough to go on my apple pie's top crust -one turkey for each daughter and then one in the middle. I've done that for almost 40 years

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Coconut is one of my favorite things in the world....coconut and chocolate the best combo.  I'll make that soon for sure.

You should be able to get haipua mix if you have a super large Asian grocery store nearby. A lot of Hawai'ian food includes Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Portuguese and Chinese elements. If not it's online. I just found this on google as an example, it's not my link/store.

https://www.leilanisattic.com/products/hawaiis-best-hawaiian-haupia-8oz?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=12474849624113&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKveBRAwEiwAo4Pqm1jcqpCnFnsStU452zsKRKYYgLrt9VldRNd5JAMcjSCTeC9lv1WcyBoC70sQAvD_BwE

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm sorry, what is this glorious witchcraft of which you speak?  Off to google no bake cookies.

You know what I love?  coconut ice-cream.  It's not nearly as common as it should be.

You’ve never had no bake cookies?!?! They have peanut butter and oats so they are basically health food. 

1 minute ago, grandmadugger said:

You’ve never had no bake cookies?!?! They have peanut butter and oats so they are basically health food. 

Never - but that will change soon.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Never - but that will change soon.

If they don’t setup don’t fret. Pour it over ice cream. 

23 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

a tiny slice of dark meat turkey with a disproportional amount of crispy skin I've stolen from three other pieces lol, TONS of my mom's homemade cranberry relish, scoop of Grandma's marshmallow sweet potatoes, corn bread-cream cheese casserole, spinach casserole, and a giant serving of mashed potatoes ? and four glasses of wine 

Until I saw grandma's marshmallow sweet potatoes (my grandma was as bad a cook as my mother)  and spinach casserole thought I got drunk and wrote that. Sounds just like my plate. :pb_lol:

51 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I just recently moved to Mexico, and the local grocery store sells a delicious coconut ice cream mixed with almonds and dark chocolate chunks. SO good

I love pie but don't like pumpkin pie. I dislike pumpkin and coconut flavors in general. I do like the pumpkin roll my mom makes around the holidays, but that's mostly because of the cream cheese frosting!

I am not a fan of sweet pies, especially fruit ones. I have never tried pumpkin, so can't comment on that. I love savoury pies though.

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Being gluten intolerant and before I learned how to make a gluten free edible crust I made pumpkin pie filling and baked it in a casserole dish. 

Celiac here. I still make mine that way. I've always liked the pie filling better than crust anyway. ?

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

If they don’t setup don’t fret. Pour it over ice cream. 

Yes,they don't set on a rainy or cloudy day.No biggie.Pour over ice cream or put them in the fridge.

I usually don’t like fruit pies because of the texture, except for apple. And I really do not like pumpkin pie. That’s partly because of the ginger. One of the foods that I can’t stand in any form is ginger. It reminds me of the dentist. When I was younger I had to have a lot of dental extractions done because my mouth was so small and how my permanent teeth were growing in. Instead of pushing out the baby teeth some permanent teeth would grow behind the baby teeth. Anyway, the dentist that pulled most of my teeth was terrible. Even with numbing medication he hurt me so bad. Ginger reminds me of the numbing gel and to this day getting a strong smell of ginger is enough to make my stomach churn. The last tooth I had pulled was done by a different dentist and the difference was amazing. With the exception of the numbing shots the procedure didn’t hurt at all. I find it really sad that the previous dentist was so careless about the comfort of his patients. 

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I usually don’t like fruit pies because of the texture, except for apple.

I'm the opposite: I do usually like fruit pies, but apple is an exception because of the texture!

I don't mind the taste of apples and I like applesauce and apple cider, but I just cannot deal with the texture of apples.

5 hours ago, apandaaries said:

we did enjoy looking at images of Roman feasts with multiple birds stuffed and ensconced in layers (like a peacock stuffed with a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken stuffed with a quail — probably missing a few fowl in there,

Sounds like the original TurDucken.

Jill is now promoting a Christian company on Instagram. I didn’t look at it, but they appear to have placemats and children’s books. Probably a better fit than the Fitness company that dropped her after a half day. 

5 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Being gluten intolerant and before I learned how to make a gluten free edible crust I made pumpkin pie filling and baked it in a casserole dish.

What recipe do you use?  I'm also gluten-free and the word "edible" caught my attention.

Savory pumpkin wise I'm a big fan of poblano pumpkin black bean soup and pumpkin curry and all things winter squash. At Thanksgiving last year I cooked cornish hens for the small group, pumpkin curry with tofu and edamame for cascarones, though it all got eaten too.

I'm not a huge ice cream fan, but I do love dark hot cocoa with coconut no dairy creamer or a bit of coconut ice cream. Dark chocolate and coconut anything really.

@zee_four My parents were in Hawaii for six years at the beginning of their marriage, love the food. Before the Duggars made cooking classes a honeymoon thing they took them, as my mom couldn't cook anything more than cereal, so there are a lot of dishes in my comfort food. As a new wife she put in all the effort to perfect those ❤️ We've got a pan Kamehameha school shortbread in the kitchen now.

One Thanksgiving at my sister’s she forgot to put the turkey on to cook.. wine may have been involved. But everyone who came brought at least 1 pie. We had at least 20 pies cut and enjoyed before we ate actual dinner. It was one of the best Thanksgivings I’ve experienced in 65 years! 

Stove top . Yep. I used to make carefully crafted home made stuffing. Bleaugh. We love stove top. I make a vat of it. Some for in the turkey, some in a casserole and some with oysters in another casserole for us New Englanders. Also, canned cranberry sauce, if you please. I’ve made whole berry sauce, and no one would touch it. Nice jellied sauce sliced in  nice slices. Yum.  

I am an incredible cook, but I just could not master pie in any form til about 8 years ago. Now my pies could go up against anycounty fair winner. Apple, berry, pecan, berry any kind, concord grape, a frozen cream and coconut and chocolate chip thing. Pie. Please. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived