IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

I used to really dislike turkey, until I visited my cousin's for Thanksgiving. He injects the bird with brine and then smokes them and it is wonderful. It didn't help that I was from a family of people whose turkey modus operandi was cooking the poor thing until it was completely flavorless and dry as a bone.

The only Thanksgiving food I can't do is stuffing with oysters in it--but I appreciate that other people like it. 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I third what @Timetostoplurking and @catlady said about pumpkin pie.   My mother-in-law makes the worst pumpkin pie because it's so bland and my husband never liked pumpkin pie all he tasted mine.  I not only double the spices/triple the cinnamon, but also use some brown sugar instead of all white sugar.  I also make my own pie crusts because  I like making pastry.

6 hours ago, emscm said:

I have a super unpopular and controversial opinion to share but.... I hate almost all of the Thanksgiving dish things. Except mashed potatoes. ?? Please don’t put me in the prayer closet! 

Me too!

4 hours ago, artdecades said:

I Mac the exact opposite of you. I love it all except for the potatoes. In fact, I hate potatoes. When I tell people that they look at me like I just said I was an alien. 

Did....did...you always have those extra heads? And tentacles??

Oooh oooh ooh I can bring the Thanksgiving drift back to the Duggars!   Green bean casserole... its typically made with cream of mushroom soup.   (If you aren't American and haven't had this - I think it's generally green beans and cream of mushroom soup, then crispy onions on the top, and the whole thing baked, although I've never made it so I could be missing a step or ingredient).

Anyway.... the version I make (which I think I learned the year we ordered Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods) is WAY tastier IMO.  Toast some flaked almonds and blanch some fresh green beans.  Then stir-fry sliced shallots in some canola oil until they are almost crispy.  Add the beans, fry another couple of minutes, and toss the almonds in for the last minute or so.   

Also here - no marshmallows on the sweet potatoes (and often, no sweet potatoes.  There are usually only 5 of us and really, there's only so many carbs one can eat at one meal.)  Homemade cranberry sauce with orange juice and cloves.  Usually 2 pies, pumpkin and apple (see above about the Australian hubby who still won't eat pumpkin.  He usually makes the pies, or else our daughter does). 

BTW gonna toot my horn here - I've lost 50 pounds in just over a year with a local medical weight loss clinic in 2 stints of 3 month very low calorie diets (VLCDs).  The first one was October-December last year, so I didn't get a real Thanksgiving (I ate turkey and green beans, yay).  Now I'm finishing up round 2 in about 2 weeks so I'll get to eat pie and stuffing this year.  Mmmm, pie...

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

I think green bean casserole originated in the depths of hell!

Well of course it does!  There are tiny demons in canned green beans.  Hi Jill.

I love green bean casserole. My mom makes a non-canned soup version and it is delicious but I honestly prefer it with the cream of mushroom straight from a can. :pb_lol:

20 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Well of course it does!  There are tiny demons in canned green beans.  Hi Jill.

Last time I ate it, I got a tiny microphone stuck in my teeth. ?

9 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Thank you for the pumpkin pie suggestion, @PennySycamore. I like to make a gingersnap cookie crust for pumpkin pie. All hail, the all butter homeade pie crust for apple pie. 

That sounds really good!

On 10/18/2018 at 11:32 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

I will never slam anyone for canned food, but THIS? Dear god. Stove Top stuffing??? 

?

I would never lie to you all. I made my own stuffing all proud like.  My family frowned on Stove Top like it was Prego ( Italians).  However, it didn't taste any better than Stove Top I had at other people's house.  So, now I use Stove Top corn bread version and doctor it up with sausage, apples, and celery and turkey broth instead of water, some ham or turkey drippings sometimes if things are working in that way. Don't judge me.  Everyone goes for 3rds.

LMAO! ???  suck it, I use Stove Top. Bite me. ?

I make pumpkin everything this time of year. Pie, bread, muffins. My college kid is home for the weekend and I am sending her back to school with muffins individually wrapped for a quick snack or breakfast. Mr. Fluffer goes nuts over pumpkin pie. My favorite is a pecan pie, I will make that for thanksgiving. One thing I just don't like- pumpkin latte drinks, cold or hot. Just can't do it. 

Ahhh....my favorite part of Thanksgiving...dressing...

I do the home made, fresh ingredients, no cans of nothing. 

1-2 bags of plain croutons

turkey stock (boil the shit outta the guts with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, sage) Boil it down until it's seriously condensed then add water back. It tastes better that way. The seasoning is just right then. 

butter

sliced onions

sliced celery

sliced mushrooms

sage, salt, pepper, butter, thyme, old bay.

mix croutons, onions, celery, 'shrooms, seasoning. Add turkey stock. Mix until damp. dot top w/butter, sprinkle w/Old Bay. Use a pyrex pan or foil (whichever fits). Cover w/tin foil. cook in 350 degree oven until hot and the company is drooling. Serve w/gravy (or not).  

7 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

Pumpkin pie is the best!  But you can’t just follow the receipe on the can of pumpkin purée.  You really need to double the spices, then it’s fantastic.  

It’s interesting how similar, across the whole country, thanksgiving dinner is.  At the same time, how different .  Now, I need to make a pumpkin pie....yum!

I agree about extra spices (though I leave cloves out of the mix or just use a tiny bit because I don't like them).

But my pumpkin pie spice mix does have a secret ingredient -- one smallish dash of cayenne pepper!  Not really identifiable by the mouth unless you add too much, but gives a nice "kick" to the flavor...

I may have to give homemade dressing a try. You guys have inspired me. I never liked it as a child, nor canned cranberry sauce for that matter. I learned to like cranberry sauce when I found a recipe using sour cream and your favorite red jello to make cranberry jello mold. It has a nice creamy, moussy consistency. I will have to do the same for dressing. 

I just found out this year that Mr. Four doesn't like (REALLY doesn't like, as in doesn't want to eat it at all) turkey. All these years of marriage!

I look forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas every year because that's about the only time to get turkeys! I LOVE turkey!

NOW WTF am I going to do?

On 10/18/2018 at 8:56 PM, MargaretElliott said:

I just like, nay, NEED to go all-out and from-scratch for holidays.

Way late, but soul sisters right there. There is something about doing a bunch of complicated, fancy stuff to eat on fancy plates that is ridiculously satisfying. No cheesecake for us this year, but my pear apple pie with a bit of cheddar in the short crust has already been requested.

I also have an affair with individual salt and pepper shakers for everyone. My parents have themed ones for different holiday meals, including little nutcracker ones for Christmas and Hummel ones that match your wine glass. Whenever I wind up married, they'll be the wedding favors.

10 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I just found out this year that Mr. Four doesn't like (REALLY doesn't like, as in doesn't want to eat it at all) turkey. All these years of marriage!

I look forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas every year because that's about the only time to get turkeys! I LOVE turkey!

Does he like ham? If so, serve both.

24 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

There are tons of sides if Mr Four doesn’t like turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Or he could grill a steak or pork chop if he wants some meat with the sides.

17 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Serve turkey as well as...

Roast pork?

Duck? 

Goose? 

Roast beef? 

Grouse? Guinea fowl? Pheasant? 

We always (we’ll, most years anyway) have a smoked pheasant and a tofurkey as well as the traditional turkey.  I like to make everyone happy.  I must have a servants  heart. (Autocorrect really wanted me to have a serpents heart. Ha)

38 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Turkey and a Ham. 

47 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I make a turkey breast roast and a small ham for Christmas since I seriously can’t with ham.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived