IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Here's my unpopular opinion, I don't like pie.

That’s okay. More pie for those of us who do like pie. 

My friend didnt like cake so had so had apple pie for her wedding. 

Did anyone else use turkey-shaped cookie cutters to cut the slices of cranberry sauce and then put those gorgeous dark red turkeys on a piece of lettuce to be all fancy, or was it just my family and my mom trying to keep me and my cousins busy with a project while she finished cooking? ?

In my family, pie is key. One year we had more kinds of pie than we had number of people there eating it! Tart cherry, French silk chocolate, apple, pecan, coconut cream, lemon meringue ... yum! I think we didn't even have pumpkin that year LOL. My mom's pie crust is amazing, and it runs in her family. Back when the family reunions were a bigger deal (11 kids in my great-grandpa's family, and many of the 2nd and 3rd generations living in the same area), we would have more tables worth of pies set out than the actual meal tables for our potluck. Good times.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

NOW WTF am I going to do?

Everyone is here with great suggestions but all I can think of is more for you! ?

42 minutes ago, Rowan said:

we would have more tables worth of pies set out than the actual meal tables for our potluck.

We may be related.  We all had different favorites so every holiday was a pie per person.

Pie for daaaays.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:03 AM, LurkerOverThePond said:

As a non-American, I find all the Thanksgiving food talk interesting. Some traditional foods sound yummy and if I ever visit the US during Thanksgiving, I most definitely want to go to some nice lil' mom & pop restaurant serving traditional Thanksgiving meal. 

A few years ago I tried pumpkin pie for the first time ever (believe it or not!). I _love_ savory pumpkin dishes and I thought I'd love the pie, too. I bought a tin of pureed pumpkin (the brand was Libby's, I think) from a local store selling American food brands and followed the instructions printed on the tin and eagerly tasted the pie... let's just say I won't be baking it again :my_biggrin:  On the other hand, I found candy corn at the same store and absolutely LOVED it!

If you like candy corn and do not like pumpkin pie, I don't think we can speak. ;)

That said, Mr. 05 does not like pumpkin pie. But with him, I think it is a texture thing. He doesn't like anything with a similar texture--sweet potatoes, avocado or guacamole, etc... I make pumpkin muffins and he loves those. So it's not the pumpkin. 

On the topic of not liking some Thanksgiving foods, I hate most gravy. My mom makes good turkey gravy and I will eat a little of  that. But that's it for gravy. 

Someone posted on Facebook this question.  If Jesus was a virgin birth he would only have X chromosomes, so Jesus is female?  Answer please Derrick.

I think if god is omnipotent, he can twiddle about genes enough to make Jesus whatever he wants. I’m sure Derick’s answer would be along those lines. But then I wonder why god didn’t make Jesus something cooler than just your regular old miracle zealot dude. 

5 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Serve turkey as well as...

Roast pork?

Duck? 

Goose? 

Roast beef? 

Grouse? Guinea fowl? Pheasant? 

One year my daughter requested a roast peacock.

Sadly (maybe), we couldn’t find any available for such a purpose, but we did enjoy looking at images of Roman feasts with multiple birds stuffed and ensconced in layers (like a peacock stuffed with a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken stuffed with a quail — probably missing a few fowl in there, too). Our holidays tables are not that elaborate and I’m a vegetarian, so...we feasted with our eyes, instead.

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Here's my unpopular opinion, I don't like pie.

Me neither. I like pumpkin pie and pecan pie but I loathe fruit pies. Idky people think baking fruit is a good idea. Of course, that means my family gets apple pie each thanksgiving and then pretends like they didn’t know I dislike it. 

Dear Whoever Mentioned Baked Pie Pumpkin Stuffed with a Cheesy-Mushroom Mixture:

Say more, please? Cos YUM. But I think it was last thread and I don't have time to go back.

Kthxbai

Love, sis scoutsadie

44 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

One year my daughter requested a roast peacock.

P.S. We couldn’t find any available for such a purpose, but we did enjoy looking at images of Roman feasts with multiple birds stuffed and ensconced in layers

This is one of my favorite videos - authentic recreation of a Tudor feast and they not only cook the peacock, but they do taxidermy and use it as a centerpiece as well.

Being gluten intolerant and before I learned how to make a gluten free edible crust I made pumpkin pie filling and baked it in a casserole dish. So good.  Also try fireball whiskey instead of orange juice.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:53 AM, DarkAnts said:

For those of you that don't understand the peaches reference.

Reveal hidden contents

To be honest Lump is probably my favvorite POTUS song! But Peaches is a close second.

17 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is one of my favorite videos - authentic recreation of a Tudor feast and they not only cook the peacock, but they do taxidermy and use it as a centerpiece as well.

Yes! We were also impressed by the whole eat-the-bird-while-using-it-as-a-centerpiece bit! We only looked at pix, but it was fascinating. Luckily my kid wasn't too disappointed by that year’s tofurkey main course. ? Roasting and decorating with peacocks is truly an impossibly high standard.

4 hours ago, Rowan said:

Did anyone else use turkey-shaped cookie cutters to cut the slices of cranberry sauce and then put those gorgeous dark red turkeys on a piece of lettuce to be all fancy, or was it just my family and my mom trying to keep me and my cousins busy with a project while she finished cooking? ?

In my family, pie is key. One year we had more kinds of pie than we had number of people there eating it! Tart cherry, French silk chocolate, apple, pecan, coconut cream, lemon meringue ... yum! I think we didn't even have pumpkin that year LOL. My mom's pie crust is amazing, and it runs in her family. Back when the family reunions were a bigger deal (11 kids in my great-grandpa's family, and many of the 2nd and 3rd generations living in the same area), we would have more tables worth of pies set out than the actual meal tables for our potluck. Good times.

. Yum those sound delicious!! My aunties make haipua pie and it's soooo ono! It's like a coconut cream. You can make it with chocolate or macadamia nuts. Here's a recipe similar to my aunties. 

https://www.thefedupfoodie.com/haupia-pie-with-macadamia-crust/

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

On the topic of not liking some Thanksgiving foods, I hate most gravy. My mom makes good turkey gravy and I will eat a little of  that. But that's it for gravy. 

can i have your gravy?  i could have a Thanksgiving dinner of just turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy; i don't need anything else.  

3 minutes ago, zee_four said:

. Yum those sound delicious!! My aunties make haipua pie and it's soooo ono! It's like a coconut cream. You can make it with chocolate or macadamia nuts. Here's a recipe similar to my aunties. 

https://www.thefedupfoodie.com/haupia-pie-with-macadamia-crust/

That looks amazing!  I bookmarked it - thanks for posting this.

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That looks amazing!  I bookmarked it - thanks for posting this.

Yeah of course! Haipua is HUGE in Hawai'i. You can make just haipua squares, they're like jello consistency I'd say. McDonalds even sells haipua pies instead of apple pies. A lot of mainlanders/haoles like the haipua chocoalte pie. Anything coconut is ono (delicious/good) to me!

1 minute ago, OhNoNike said:

Y’all worried me.  I ran over to this hot thread and it was just pie talk.  Phew. 

Don't stereotype us as mere pie talkers...we've also discussed roasting peacock!  :) 

6 minutes ago, catlady said:

can i have your gravy?  i could have a Thanksgiving dinner of just turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy; i don't need anything else.  

My son LOVES gravy,except for white gravy.My son could literally drink gravy.

And it's funny,when I was pregnant with him.One of the foods I craved with him,was gravy.

They talk about odd cravings.I never did this combination,cause I think it sounds gross,but while pregnant with him,I thought bout gravy and ice cream,but wasn't going to try that one.

2 minutes ago, zee_four said:

Yeah of course! Haipua is HUGE in Hawai'i. You can make just haipua squares, they're like jello consistency I'd say. McDonalds even sells haipua pies instead of apple pies. A lot of mainlanders/haoles like the haipua chocoalte pie. Anything coconut is ono (delicious/good) to me!

Coconut is one of my favorite things in the world....coconut and chocolate the best combo.  I'll make that soon for sure.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived